HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Del Preston
Give us Shea Weber

vCash: 147
gd I hate watching Minnesota play.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The Kings/Blues series has been incredibly intense hockey. Out and out war on every shift and a fierce battle for the puck at all times. I'll take that over loose play and sloppy coverage any day of the week.

Some of you should watch more basketball if you need double digit scores for the game to be entertaining

and yeah, I'm just j/k around with that last part. All in good fun until somebody types the wrong thing and somebody loses an eye..

But on a serious note I have no idea how somebody considers physical, tight checking hockey boring. As long as the clutching and holding isn't the reason its tight those games exhibit high levels of team commitment and system play and players that COMMIT to team play and being the absolute best they can be.

tbh if I was a Pens fan I would question why one of the most talented teams in all of hockey isn't getting it done and don't look ready anytime soon. Pens lost to the Flyers of all teams last year. A team with suspect D and goaltending that any WC contender would beat in the playoffs for fun.
I don't need 6-5 games to be entertained, case in point is the Wild/Blackhawks game being played right now. 2-1 in the third and its been a back and forth game.

I enjoyed the first two games of the Blues/Kings series but that third one in LA was a snoooooooozer. Hockey is supposed to be a fast game, when teams slow it down and clog the NZ its boring. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch a Chelsea FC game.

To address the bolded, you answered your own question. I can't for the life of me understand why the NHL seems to use two rules books either, one for the regular season and one for the play offs. I don't want games to be a constant march to the penalty box but there is just such a blatant difference in the way the game is called in the name of "playoff hockey" - it must seriously confuse the **** out of the players as to what they can get away with.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't need 6-5 games to be entertained, case in point is the Wild/Blackhawks game being played right now. 2-1 in the third and its been a back and forth game.

I enjoyed the first two games of the Blues/Kings series but that third one in LA was a snoooooooozer. Hockey is supposed to be a fast game, when teams slow it down and clog the NZ its boring. If I wanted to watch that I'd watch a Chelsea FC game.

To address the bolded, you answered your own question. I can't for the life of me understand why the NHL seems to use two rules books either, one for the regular season and one for the play offs. I don't want games to be a constant march to the penalty box but there is just such a blatant difference in the way the game is called in the name of "playoff hockey" - it must seriously confuse the **** out of the players as to what they can get away with.
Since you mentioned soccer. Case in point. Italians win the world cup through solid D, every time they win, even though they raise some of the most talented players in the game. Italy is of course a solid soccer nation and know how to play every facet of the game. But key is that some of the best players in the game from Italy would rather win than score a lot of goals.

Germany wins WC's because they can play strategic football and fly off the counterattacks. Classic German formula. Again talented players subverting for team and system. Nations like France, Holland, England, who have had their share of greats seldom if ever win on the WC stage.

Brazil is the one team that counters what I say. The one team in the World. But basically because Brazilians eat, sleep, drink, play, make love, with a football.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:04 PM
timekeep

Quote:
The regular season not always being indicative of playoff success. To wit the Vancouver Canucks...When it counts clubs like the Nucks, Rangers, Pens,Sens, seldom get it done.

For the last two decades I could make a decent living betting against the Sens every year. Easiest playoff patsy around.

Some teams are just built for the playoffs, most of those teams being in the WC.

CONTROLLING games and results is what makes teams into SC winners. You do this first and foremost by limiting GA. Not winning 5-4 in OT in a game that was up for grabs all the way. On the part of the Pens that is completely underwhelming.

Anyway, for the younger fans here a slight history lesson. The most talented club in the history of the game, the 80's Edmonton Oilers, lost to the Kings in 82, and Islanders in 83 because they had not yet figured out how to shore up their own end and be able to play all round hockey. A Veteran Kings team absolutely schooled the Oilers making them look silly in 82. It was embarrassing and a rude lesson for every Oiler team and the lesson being that you CAN'T win in playoff hockey consistently by simply filling the net with pucks.

Two years later that same Oilers team that got drubbed in high scoring games by the Kings wins game 1, SC final, on the road, 1-0, against the SC Champ NYI's. Lesson learned. The rest as they say is history and a scoring club that got that much better, and became a dynasty, because they could play both ends of the rink.

From the looks of things a very talented Pens club has not yet learned that lesson after being humbled worse last year.
Pens need to remember what won them the cup a few years ago, the team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Kunitz, Cooke, and their coach.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Since you mentioned soccer. Case in point. Italians win the world cup through solid D, every time they win, even though they raise some of the most talented players in the game. Italy is of course a solid soccer nation and know how to play every facet of the game. But key is that some of the best players in the game from Italy would rather win than score a lot of goals.

Germany wins WC's because they can play strategic football and fly off the counterattacks. Classic German formula. Again talented players subverting for team and system. Nations like France, Holland, England, who have had their share of greats seldom if ever win on the WC stage.

Brazil is the one team that counters what I say. The one team in the World. But basically because Brazilians eat, sleep, drink, play, make love, with a football.
Spain is the team you neglected to mention, who IMO play a similar game to Brazil where they basically own the ball and expose teams defense through creativity and individual talent.

Italy on the other hand plays 10 players behind the ball and is content to play to tie and hope they can score on a counter attack or from a set piece.

Germany is usually a good mix of attack and defense played to technical perfection which you expect from Germany, and though they are built to win championships they don't always.

Anyway, back to hockey. My point stands the same, I don't need a high scoring game to be entertained. I can get behind tight low scoring games, providing that the game isn't being choked at the neck and both teams look like they can barely put two passes together. Which is what I saw in game 3 in LA , though on an individual basis LA and STL both have a handful between them of the most skilled players in the NHL.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Gah, stupid Wild.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Spain is the team you neglected to mention, who IMO play a similar game to Brazil where they basically own the ball and expose teams defense through creativity and individual talent.

Italy on the other hand plays 10 players behind the ball and is content to play to tie and hope they can score on a counter attack or from a set piece.

Germany is usually a good mix of attack and defense played to technical perfection which you expect from Germany, and though they are built to win championships they don't always.

Anyway, back to hockey. My point stands the same, I don't need a high scoring game to be entertained. I can get behind tight low scoring games, providing that the game isn't being choked at the neck and both teams look like they can barely put two passes together. Which is what I saw in game 3 in LA , though on an individual basis LA and STL both have a handful between them of the most skilled players in the NHL.
I do love Spanish football. But in 50years of watching it I've witnessed Spain winning the WC once. Despite often having teams with the most talented football players in the world. Spain is the textbook example of what I'm talking about but ultimately won through a WC team that learned to play either end of the pitch. Historically Spain have been perennial disappointments in the WC. Tournament after tournament.

Soccer is very relevant in the strategical sense of the game as hockey and Soccer are similar sports from an attack/defense/transitional pov.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
#ualberta

@AnsarKhanMLive: Justin Abdelkader suspended for 2 games, Ken Holland said.

I would have only given him one game but whatever

Looking forward to this sens habs game

Old
05-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

Except you forgot to mention Spain, perhaps having assembled the most dominant national soccer team of this or maybe even any era. 2 Euros and and a World Cup in 4 years, probably the favourites going into Rio. They are guns blazing soccer artistry and creativity. No one has come close to beating them or giving them a hard time, aside from maybe the Swiss lol. Then you got Brazil with them and to a lesser extent Argentina and Holland. All among some of the best of all time, with national teams identity's and reputations being based around offense, flair and creativity. So it's not all one way.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

Some of the most entertaining playoff hockey I've ever watched was that Philly/Penguins series last year. Can't stand this low scoring bs. The game could be so much better.

Old
05-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Philly85
Moody'

This MTL/OTT series is shaping up nicely though.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:23 PM
N5991989
Sad Oilers Fan.

I can not stand some of the defensive gaffs in the East, it makes my head hurt. That JVR goal was head scratching two defense men stood there looking like idiots while he stood in front of the net took a easy pass and put it in. If the Oilers defense did that in the playoffs we would have the guy traded 30 secs later.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Niet

The massive amount of complaining by the Habs has me wanting the Sens to win this series.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
I can not stand some of the defensive gaffs in the East, it makes my head hurt. That JVR goal was head scratching two defense men stood there looking like idiots while he stood in front of the net took a easy pass and put it in. If the Oilers defense did that in the playoffs we would have the guy traded 30 secs later.
Sure you would, more likely Edm mgmt would make him their number 1 d-man.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

I. Love. It.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Price doing his best to outsuck fleury

Old
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
topchowda

#DubnykSochi2014

Prices play has completely fallen off the cliff Steve Mason style

Old
05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

I could only see 7 Habs players on the bench in that last shot.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Niet

Love watching the Sens run up this score and Pageau getting a hattrick.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Okay... so now who's this Pageau kid?? Ottawa seems to be pulling effective NHLers out of thin air.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
There isn't a chance in hell the Habs can match the Sens physically. They're barking up the wrong tree if they're going to play that game.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Okay... so now who's this Pageau kid?? Ottawa seems to be pulling effective NHLers out of thin air.
He is the same kid that owned Couturier in qmjhl playoff game scoring 6 points and giving Couturier the big center a whopping -5 once again proving skill trumps size "Ken Hitchcock" This time his victim was Galchenyuk you know the guy who should of went 1st overall according to every Hab fan

Old
05-05-2013, 09:16 PM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I agree with this...what the **** haha

Old
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
GreatKeith

I hope baby Kesler is alright.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
OilerNut*

Kesler acted like he was decapitated. Didn't think you got called on high sticks on a follow through. ******** call.

Closed Thread