HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 11:55 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Hodgson also demanded a trade out because of how badly he was mismanaged. Canucks never gave him his dues.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Yep. Hopefully it serves as a lesson for the people clamoring to trade one of our young guys for someone who brings grit. You aren't going to win a trade when you give up the better player. It's as simple as that.
Way too much common sense contained in these posts. PLEASE don't make these mistakes. Kassian is beyond useless. What a horrible trade for Nucks.

Good times though. Nucks eliminated in first round again.

I had this series pegged for SJ winning in 5 games.

This series was so predictable imo. Canucks just didn't match up with the Sharks for playoff hockey. Soon as the standings were set Canucks were doomed in this one.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Rpro

The Canucks have jumped the Shark! Feels good man, 2 years in a row they're on the verge of getting swept. I loaded up on Sharks and Bruins in my pool since they were playing my 2 most hated teams. Looking good so far.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Gotta comment on this too. Over the top pro Canucks commentating was nuts in game 2.

Ringing Kesler up again and again like he just performed a Mark Messier SC prophesy. Before the game was done, before anything had been accomplished we were told again and again that Kesler forecast the W, and had is stamp on it.

A little problem there though on the way to the hero Win.

What homer broadcasting.

Just embarrassing.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Chooch

#fireav is trending on twitter? I guess blaming Luongo or the reffs all the time got old.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC 34m
#Canucks have 1 win in 10 playoff games since they had 3-2 lead in 2011 final. They have scored only 15 times in those 10 outings.
I hope that they stay stubborn this summer and stick with this core of players.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Joe Thornton stirring the pot again.

Quote:
Thornton: “We felt [Luongo] was playing great. … We felt we were lucky not to play against Lou, to be honest." #SJSharks

Old
05-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He's right. Luongo is time and again an superior goalie. He held them in game 2 with his stellar play, and they chose to go with Schneider for game 3, which was great for San Jose. There's a reason Luongo has an Olympic gold medal and has played in a SCF. He's a much better option than Schneider.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
He's right. Luongo is time and again an superior goalie. He held them in game 2 with his stellar play, and they chose to go with Schneider for game 3, which was great for San Jose. There's a reason Luongo has an Olympic gold medal and has played in a SCF. He's a much better option than Schneider.
I definitely agree. Its comical how the Canucks seem to think that a goaltending change is going to fix their lack of scoring.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
I definitely agree. Its comical how the Canucks seem to think that a goaltending change is going to fix their lack of scoring.
This is exactly why the Oilers should not trade Eberle or any one of the kids for "needs" (ie: magic beans).

Having one good line is easy to shut down in the playoffs.

As long as we have all four of Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov, we will be able to ice two scoring lines (play Hall with Yakupov, Krueger). You build around them, *not* at the expense of one of them.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This is exactly why the Oilers should not trade Eberle or any one of the kids for "needs" (ie: magic beans).

Having one good line is easy to shut down in the playoffs.

As long as we have all four of Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov, we will be able to ice two scoring lines (play Hall with Yakupov, Krueger).
Well, to be fair Kesler and Burrows have kind of faded into oblivion and so have the twins. The Canucks probably didn't see this coming and rightfully so. You have two Art Ross Trophy winners, a player who won the Selke Trophy while scoring 41 goals and another in Burrows who is a perennial 20 goal scorer at your disposal. Their skills shouldn't be fading (yet)... well, Kesler is damaged goods, I guess.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Well, to be fair Kesler and Burrows have kind of faded into oblivion and so have the twins. The Canucks probably didn't see this coming and rightfully so. You have two Art Ross Trophy winners, a player who won the Selke Trophy while scoring 41 goals and another in Burrows who is a perennial 20 goal scorer at your disposal. Those skills shouldn't be fading (yet).
Kesler had one huge season, but typically the Canucks haven't had a lot of high end scoring depth. It got them one Cup run though, but you can see now, they don't have the horses. Shut down the Sedins are they're done.

People are too quick to crap on guys like Kessel and Eberle, but you need *goal scorers* on your roster. All the grit in the world doesn't replace the need to get the puck over the goal line.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:43 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Well, to be fair Kesler and Burrows have kind of faded into oblivion and so have the twins. The Canucks probably didn't see this coming and rightfully so. You have two Art Ross Trophy winners, a player who won the Selke Trophy while scoring 41 goals and another in Burrows who is a perennial 20 goal scorer at your disposal. Their skills shouldn't be fading (yet)... well, Kesler is damaged goods, I guess.
Burrows has never been that good.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Kesler had one huge season, but typically the Canucks haven't had a lot of high end scoring depth. It got them one Cup run though, but you can see now, they don't have the horses. Shut down the Sedins are they're done.

People are too quick to crap on guys like Kessel and Eberle, but you need *goal scorers* on your roster. All the grit in the world doesn't replace the need to get the puck over the goal line.
You need those one shot, game breakers in the playoffs but you still need to go into the dirty areas to score those goals. Can Eberle develop the fortitude to go to those areas again? That game against the Kings earlier this season seemed to kill his will to do that.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Burrows has never been that good.
I agree - he was a product of the Sedins.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
You need those one shot, game breakers in the playoffs but you still need to go into the dirty areas to score those goals. Can Eberle develop the fortitude to go to those areas again? That game against the Kings earlier this season seemed to kill his will to do that.
Nothing has killed his will to do anything, he just had a tough season, which most kids do early in their career.

He still scored as many goals as Taylor Hall this year in a bad year.

You look at the last two goals he scored this year -- those are world class goals. There aren't many players in the league that can place the puck like he did with those shots (no one on our roster for sure, not Hall, not even Yakupov IMO). That goal in Minnesota in particular was freaking ridiculous.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Nothing has killed his will to do anything, he just had a tough season, which most kids do early in their career.

He still scored as many goals as Taylor Hall this year in a bad year.

You look at the last two goals he scored this year -- those are world class goals. There aren't many players in the league that can place the puck like he did with those shots (no one on our roster for sure, not Hall, not even Yakupov IMO).
His shot is still there (when he wasn't battling that hand injury) but there's no bloody way that he was going to the same areas that he was last year. For large portions of 2013 he stopped going into the high slot for prime shooting opportunities and was nigh invisible on most nights because of it.

Near the tail end of the season he got some of his swagger back and I'm hoping that it continues into next year.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
His shot is still there (when he wasn't battling that hand injury) but there's no bloody way that he was going to the same areas that he was last year. For large portions of 2013 he stopped going into the high slot for prime shooting opportunities and was nigh invisible on most nights because of it.

Near the tail end of the season he got some of his swagger back and I'm hoping that it continues into next year.
He was likely playing hurt for stretch too. If this was a full 82-game season he would've scored 30+ again this year. In a bad year.

He was getting a lot of chances even when he was struggling which is a sign of a very good player. That's one reason I really don't worry about Eberle or RNH. They'll get there, the process may just have a few hiccups now and again.

EDIT: Oh boy, one Canucks fan who sounded like he had been crying pushing for the Canucks to tank for McDavid, lol. Full on meltdown mode on their call in show.

Last edited by Soundwave: 05-06-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old
05-06-2013, 01:41 AM
#ualberta

Canucks will be the only team to get swept
Love it

Old
05-06-2013, 02:06 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
I love the Sharks! Can't wait till they get rid of Luongo for scraps and Cory fades under the pressure. He was always over rated and no better than Dubnyk IMO.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Fuhryous

Ryan Kesler post game quote: "I am not going down easy."

I'm not going to bog down everyone else's computer by posting a few gif's of him flopping all over the ice, but that is the most ironic thing he has ever said.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:30 AM
shiva

Living here in BC be interesting what the canuck fans have to say about this. I told them their window was closing this year, and that the other teams have finally figured out the Sedins, by just letting them keep passing to each other behind the net, while the sharks clog up in front of their net and remove scoring chances.

In a way, the nucks are very similar to the Oilers, they have 2 lines and a bunch of other guys, and they are not really all that tough when it matters. So, all 3 western teams need serious rebuilding of half their team this summer. Gonna be a fun time watching this.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:46 AM
Soundwave

I don't think the Canucks ever really recovered from that game 7 loss, but to be honest even that year they were a bounce away from Chicago coming back on them and ousting them in the first round I think. When they collapse it's a full on collapse.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:16 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
I don't think the Canucks ever really recovered from that game 7 loss, but to be honest even that year they were a bounce away from Chicago coming back on them and ousting them in the first round I think. When they collapse it's a full on collapse.
Yup they were up 3-0 on the Hawks, and it went to game 7 OT.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Thornton's a subtle troll. Love it!

Closed Thread