HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 11:32 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Seriously Blues?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Dustin Penner = Beastly playoff performer.

Too bad he'd be completely worthless on the Oilers because of that... no playoffs thing.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:51 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Yeah you have to get there first. Cart before the horse.

Well, say goodbye to the second round, Blues. You really gassed that one.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yeah you have to get there first. Cart before the horse.

Well, say goodbye to the second round, Blues. You really gassed that one.
What? Neither team has lost a home game yet and they're about as evenly matched as you can get. The series could still go either way.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
What? Neither team has lost a home game yet and they're about as evenly matched as you can get. The series could still go either way.
Its my take that if you let the Kings roll you can't stop them. STL is starting to lose the battle of attrition imo.

We know that LA can play 4 rounds of playoff hockey like this and are accustomed to it.

We know STL can play 4 games in a row like this. My one worry about Blues in this series is could they sustain in a long series. I expected the Blues to have more of the jump earlier in the series due to being the hungrier team.

Also Blues had horseshoes up their arse to get the first 2 wins.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its my take that if you let the Kings roll you can't stop them. STL is starting to lose the battle of attrition imo.

We know that LA can play 4 rounds of playoff hockey like this and are accustomed to it.

We know STL can play 4 games in a row like this. My one worry about Blues in this series is could they sustain in a long series. I expected the Blues to have more of the jump earlier in the series due to being the hungrier team.

Also Blues had horseshoes up their arse to get the first 2 wins.
These two teams are almost mirror images of each other. LA has slightly more skill. Blues are more physical. LA has a better goalie. Blues have better top end defensemen.

And that's about it.

The only thing that's decided this series so far is luck.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
These two teams are almost mirror images of each other. LA has slightly more skill. Blues are more physical. LA has a better goalie. Blues have better top end defensemen.

And that's about it.

The only thing that's decided this series so far is luck.
I wouldn't say that any team has more physical potential than the LA kings.

Stands to reason that Doughty being the best D in the series makes the D argument a bit moot. Also that just 12mths ago the Kings exhbibited a virtually unprecedented defensive virtuoso playoffs.
In terms of dedication to system play and preventing GA nobody matches up with LA. Not even close. To say that Blues have better D is probably a weak point in terms of how the clubs actually play out there.

Blues are fortunate to have a split thus far.

Kings are masters at winning close games and keeping the puck out of their own net long enough to bag the winner. Quick has given up two of the worst game deciding goals that he's given up in a couple years in this series. Two blues winners on routine chances. It'll happen, but lightning has already struck twice.

Finally, the Kings have now gone 25 consecutive playoff games giving up 3 or less goals. That is worthy of a bow. Incredible.

Last time Kings were in a tight series they blew NJ out 6-1 in the deciding SC game. Kings have a whole other level to go to if ever pushed to the wall.

Last edited by Replacement: 05-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old
05-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Just to recap the LA game as well. The Blues get fortunate on the first one with Quick giving up a bad rebound and being in horrible position off of what was a routine shot. This is Quick not on his ideal game and I don't expect this to continue.

Blues get next goal on a deflected point shot.

Blues get their final goal on an even worse rebound that Quick gifts right to Oshie. No reason for that.

Without Quick literally self destructing on two plays the Blues are essentially shut down in this game.

The kings outshot the Blues 23-11 in last 2 periods with game and possible series in the balance.

Lets look at the Kings goals the first two of which were beauties and the KIngs just owning the Blues on brutal breakdowns. These are not luck goals whatsoever. Its quality execution at the highest level.
Next Kings goal is Kopitar alone in front on the lip of the crease with time. Guess what, he's going to bury that one most times. This was a lethal precision strike. Again a quality goal.

Last goal was a deflection.

So in short Kings got 3 quality goals that were clear extremely dangerous chances and Blues had trouble generating much of anything and were extremely fortunate to have 3 goals in this game.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Fuhryous

So Kevin Bieksa has taken it upon himself to call the Sharks embellishers to the media.

Apparently, no one on that team owns a mirror.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Just to recap the LA game as well. The Blues get fortunate on the first one with Quick giving up a bad rebound and being in horrible position off of what was a routine shot. This is Quick not on his ideal game and I don't expect this to continue.

Blues get next goal on a deflected point shot.

Blues get their final goal on an even worse rebound that Quick gifts right to Oshie. No reason for that.

Without Quick literally self destructing on two plays the Blues are essentially shut down in this game.

The kings outshot the Blues 23-11 in last 2 periods with game and possible series in the balance.

Lets look at the Kings goals the first two of which were beauties and the KIngs just owning the Blues on brutal breakdowns. These are not luck goals whatsoever. Its quality execution at the highest level.
Next Kings goal is Kopitar alone in front on the lip of the crease with time. Guess what, he's going to bury that one most times. This was a lethal precision strike. Again a quality goal.

Last goal was a deflection.

So in short Kings got 3 quality goals that were clear extremely dangerous chances and Blues had trouble generating much of anything and were extremely fortunate to have 3 goals in this game.
I for one am not looking forward to having us face LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, and SJ more next season. Lots of size and grit on those teams although SJ is easier to play against if they lose Torres since they also moved Clowe and Murray.

05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I for one am not looking forward to having us face LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, and SJ more next season. Lots of size and grit on those teams although SJ is easier to play against if they lose Torres since they also moved Clowe and Murray.
Its been a arms race for a few years now. Big centers and nasty wingers are must to survive in the pacific.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
Its been a arms race for a few years now. Big centers and nasty wingers are must to survive in the pacific.
Irionically we've donated regularly to other teams in that regard and a long list of players like Souray, Stoll, Penner, Glencross, Brodziak, Torres are exactly what we need. go figure.

This org is always chasing some kind of flavor of the day rainbows without realizing a balance of players is required.

We have the worst bottom six in hockey and we've given up several players that could be a huge help.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I hate Bieksa more than any other player in the league, but he's got a point.

It just happens to be extremely hypocritical. The whole 'Canadian' thing really pisses me off too.
While there is an embellishment, why did he get hit in the back of the head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Rangers had 9 players on ice, caps had 6. Caps must have played the puck first to be the ones getting the penalty.

This was funny.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

yall ready for this?

Old
05-07-2013, 12:07 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post

yall ready for this?
Tough to say. I'm not opposed to them getting booed off their home ice in game 5.

Old
05-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwzKing View Post
We already feel lousy. Must you point out the obvious?

Old
05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Irionically we've donated regularly to other teams in that regard and a long list of players like Souray, Stoll, Penner, Glencross, Brodziak, Torres are exactly what we need. go figure.

This org is always chasing some kind of flavor of the day rainbows without realizing a balance of players is required.

We have the worst bottom six in hockey and we've given up several players that could be a huge help.
Sure you can have him if you want. I'm also sure by game 20 people are going to wonder why we picked up a worse Belanger who makes more.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Do ya think Montreal will regret not signing their Norris-candidate defenseman to a longer contract?

Old
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
OilerNut*

Schneider getting the start tonight. Should be some good entertainment.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:21 PM
OilerNut*

Luongo ready to walk away from the Canucks regardless if he gets traded or not?

http://globalnews.ca/news/542670/rob...illion-photos/

Old
05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

Still want to see him walk during the playoffs.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:13 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
While there is an embellishment, why did he get hit in the back of the head?
Because Henrik was frustrated and wanted to set a good example for his equally dirty team, great captain. Really, both parties are to blame here and it's frustrating to watch.

I think the league should keep track of diving, called in the game or not, after a player is noted embellishing X amount of times they get a call from the league. After that they get fines and it becomes public knowledge.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Sure you can have him if you want. I'm also sure by game 20 people are going to wonder why we picked up a worse Belanger who makes more.
False

He did have a pretty poor year tho but saying Belanger is better? Wow, completely out to lunch

He still has the problem of getting off to slow starts to the season but he was great last year and the year before. He's also been fantastic so far these playoffs and has been on Minnesotas best line.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Still want to see him walk during the playoffs.
That would be a truly great scene, as you said earlier. Schneider plays brutal, AV goes to Luo who looks at him, shakes his head and goes down the tunnel. And then in the moment Gillis is fired and AV is after the game.

When the Nucks do choke out, I hope Mac-T can pillage them a bit this summer.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post

I don't care how nice the view is, 4.2mill for 2600 sq ft?

I guess I'll never understand super-rich people or Vancouver in general.

Closed Thread