HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  #701
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,038
vCash: 500
Window = closed, Whale tears, Divers getting out troll dived.

Beerfish is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #702
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
It's the Larry Robinson effect. The PK is much better, they're using their quicker young players (Galiardi, Wingels, Demers) in key roles, and their transition is quick and their defensive assertiveness is better.

Shipping out Clowe, Handzus, and Murray is part of a culture change there. No more big lumbering players - more focus on speed and quick transition.
Nice summary but not noting that the addition of Torres has added a lot of quickstrike attack jump that helps the speedy transition. Raffi for some reason is also having good success moving the puck consistently up ice. Whether by simple dump, puck control, finding open ice and being an outlet, he's fostered the transition and forecheck game really well. He's flying out there only now on a heat seeking mission for loose pucks instead of opposition..

On a sidenote a punishing hitter like Larry Robinson has gotta love having a fireplug like Torres in his lineup.

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
  #703
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
So I saw Backstrom came out to the bench in the 3rd(?), are you really allowed to use 3 goalies in a game?

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
  #704
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Window = closed, Whale tears, Divers getting out troll dived.
Any word on the latest Downtown Vancouver "parties". ?

Anything burned down yet?


Oh, I'm bad...

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
  #705
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So I saw Backstrom came out to the bench in the 3rd(?), are you really allowed to use 3 goalies in a game?
I was wondering the same thing but seem to recall that theres a provision where you can insert another netminder in a game that is not on the approved lineup card in the case that you don't have an available backup.

The Oilers at least a couple times have quickly inserted U of A goalies on such short term emergency callups. With identity of available netminder sometimes not being known until gametime.

Teams will sometimes have a spare goalie in attendance to take advantage of this if they know their goalies are banged up and they could run into problems.

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
  #706
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Any word on the latest Downtown Vancouver "parties". ?

Anything burned down yet?


Oh, I'm bad...
The Nucks overwhelmingly pathetic performance wasn't even close to riot-worthy... at best a deluded fan may burn a zebra in effigy.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
  #707
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
So I saw Backstrom came out to the bench in the 3rd(?), are you really allowed to use 3 goalies in a game?
They said during the game that all you need is for your scheduled backup to play one shift first, then they would have been able to put Backstrom in. Was weird that he showed up on the bench after the other kid had been in for a period and a half already though.

syz is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
  #708
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The Nucks overwhelmingly pathetic performance wasn't even close to riot-worthy... at best a deluded fan may burn a zebra in effigy.
Or a crying, diving Sedin doll.

lol

Just how much longer will fans tolerate the sisters playoff no shows?

With Luongo probably dealt with soon as scapegoat number 1 I can imagine the angst flying off in many directions.

Wouldn't wanna be a Canuck there. But the money is good.

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:38 AM
  #709
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was wondering the same thing but seem to recall that theres a provision where you can insert another netminder in a game that is not on the approved lineup card in the case that you don't have an available backup.

The Oilers at least a couple times have quickly inserted U of A goalies on such short term emergency callups. With identity of available netminder sometimes not being known until gametime.

Teams will sometimes have a spare goalie in attendance to take advantage of this if they know their goalies are banged up and they could run into problems.
Isn't that two different scenarios though? I mean one was we had no choice and had to get a #2 from somewhere, but Minny had 2 goalies used in the game plus a 3rd guy.

I mean it has to be allowed because it happened, but strange nonetheless.



Another question/vent, but after reading Kerry Fraser's article on non-calls for stalling during a game it made me yet again ask what happened to the 10 second rule? Isn't there a rule where if the guy isn't lined up you just drop the puck anyway? While Fraser's had more to do with improper line changes and getting the wrong player off the ice, it made me wonder why in a year that they start calling everything that this isn't happening.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:41 AM
  #710
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
They said during the game that all you need is for your scheduled backup to play one shift first, then they would have been able to put Backstrom in. Was weird that he showed up on the bench after the other kid had been in for a period and a half already though.
Interesting

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
  #711
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Anyone else notice how Boyle and Thornton were chatting it up and smiling with Luongo during the handshakes?

It was probably like "hahah Buddy you don't deserve this. I hope you go to a better team." And Bobby Lou probably responded "Yah I'm on my way out, sold my condo and off to greener pastures! Good luck guys! I hate this team.."

Then they went drinking with their gold medals later that night.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
  #712
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Would there be a scenario where the Sedins get split?
They'll probably refuse to report if they're on different teams and go back to Sweden.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 09:59 AM
  #713
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up
 
Matt Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
**** the nucks. i hope lu has a few more good years. He's awesome. Sedins are done, finished, kaput. They'll be a lottery team soon. Even their defensemen are becoming terrible. You'd think if you had a top 4 of Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Garrison you wouldn't get swept...

Matt Ryan is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
  #714
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Anyone else notice how Boyle and Thornton were chatting it up and smiling with Luongo during the handshakes?

It was probably like "hahah Buddy you don't deserve this. I hope you go to a better team." And Bobby Lou probably responded "Yah I'm on my way out, sold my condo and off to greener pastures! Good luck guys! I hate this team.."

Then they went drinking with their gold medals later that night.
Thorntons earlier remark in the series that the Sharks were actually glad not to be facing Luongo was also classic Joe Thornton subtle humor and playing with heads. The whole Canucks org were probably hating on Joe for that one, lol.

In the end fans sometimes get what they deserve. Habs fans chased Patrick Roy out of town and Nucks fans chased Luongo.

Goaltending can be the most untenable position. Its the one position in team sports ( Other than pitching) where the pressure is intense and if you are ever out of your element the whole world knows about it immediately.

Tough position and not one for deep thinkers.

Glenn Hall famously threw up before every game. Fortunately for him it wasn't an 82 game regular season with 4 playoff rounds.

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:16 AM
  #715
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,191
vCash: 50
I would take luongo if the Canucks eat some salary and take a bad contract off our hands. Starting to think that team has more bad contracts than we do

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:21 AM
  #716
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I would take luongo if the Canucks eat some salary and take a bad contract off our hands. Starting to think that team has more bad contracts than we do
, well they started season with 2 laughers (Ballard and Booth) and has things have been 'exposed' more are showing themselves.

The state of that franchise is hilarious. If they just get out of their own way, they possibly have a cup now and they don't have an extremely expensive backup who's disgruntled.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
  #717
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
Weak goals eh, thought Dubnyk was the only one that allowed those.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
  #718
trent_vinyl
Registered User
 
trent_vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Sedins are brutal leaders, wont win with them at the helm. Get them with a true leader and let them play seconday scorer with no pressure and they flourish
Yup, its quite apparant that they don't have the fortitude to reach that higher level in the playoffs.

trent_vinyl is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 11:08 AM
  #719
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Weak goals eh, thought Dubnyk was the only one that allowed those.
Goalies are more prone to giving up some weak goals in the playoffs while they are under intense performance pressure and scrutiny and everything is on the line. Even the best goalies on the planet, and through history, give up some bad goals when everything matters and everything is on the line.

Dubnyk hasn't faced one such pressure game in his pro career.

Replacement is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
  #720
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Goalies are more prone to giving up some weak goals in the playoffs while they are under intense performance pressure and scrutiny and everything is on the line. Even the best goalies on the planet, and through history, give up some bad goals when everything matters and everything is on the line.

Dubnyk hasn't faced one such pressure game in his pro career.
That sounds unlikely to me. A more likely explanation is that the scrutiny and short sample size of the playoffs means bad goals have a bigger impact on outcomes and are more heavily scrutinized as a result.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:22 PM
  #721
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
That sounds unlikely to me. A more likely explanation is that the scrutiny and short sample size of the playoffs means bad goals have a bigger impact on outcomes and are more heavily scrutinized as a result.
I find it quite comical, always excuses for everyone but Dubnyk. These goals that are happening in the playoffs happened all year with these goalies. The commentators even commented on how Reimer and Anderson are being targeted with high shots as it's been their weakness.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
  #722
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
This should provide for a culture change down in Canuck Land. Heck, Kesler admitted post game that he knows he was a diver in 2011 and he went back to it in the Kings series last year when it was slipping away.

No leadership on that team. It all caught up to them.

BlueChip01 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:28 PM
  #723
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,547
vCash: 330
Vokoun to start for pittsburgh tomorrow.

joestevens29 is online now  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:33 PM
  #724
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 53,568
vCash: 313
Still jumping for joy-- just the reaction from the canucks fan base made my day

hopefully when the oiler get better and we get taken out like tis-- we will act better

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
  #725
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Vokoun to start for pittsburgh tomorrow.
I would seriously be INSANE not to start him at this point.

Edit: Fleury's Meltdown reminds me a bit of MLB pitchers, when they lose the ability to throw strikes. When it goes bad it goes bad.


Last edited by Jimmi Jenkins: 05-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.