HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Well there go the Islanders. If Pittsburgh can't handle them there's little chance they get past the Sens.
Man your predictions are really weird this year. You said the Sharks would lose to the canucks as I seem to recall.

Now the Pens are going to lose to the Sens.

how?

Islanders as mentioned were hot going into the playoffs and rode a good working effort to get this far. I really don't think the Sens have the stones to play the Pens as hard.

Pens W in 5games, 6 would surprise me.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Man your predictions are really weird this year. You said the Sharks would lose to the canucks as I seem to recall.

Now the Pens are going to lose to the Sens.

how?

Islanders as mentioned were hot going into the playoffs and rode a good working effort to get this far. I really don't think the Sens have the stones to play the Pens as hard.

Pens W in 5games, 6 would surprise me.
Sens adding Karlsson and Cowen at the end of the season after the entire year without them can not be underestimated. Adding two top 4 d-men is a huge addition. Karlsson is the most dynamic defenseman in the league. Instantly makes the Sens transition game much more dangerous.

Not to mention Craig Anderson is probably the best goalie in the league right now. The Penguins team is deeper, no doubt. But I give the Sens a better chance than I gave the Islanders. Pens should still win it. But the Sens have a chance.

Old
05-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
As for the height statement by Spawn - be careful. Zetterberg/Datsyuk have some otherworldly ability to overpower/outskill bigger players. Not many players in the league possess this kind of ability. To expect the likes of Gagner/Eberle to become these kind of players is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Maybe not Gagner/Eberle, but RNH perhaps. And Yakupov as well. The point is, that everyone is obsessed with adding that BIG forward. There are plenty of successful players in the league who are great players, who don't get knocked off the puck who are under 6 feet tall. 6 of the top 10 scorers in the league this year were 6 feet or under...

Old
05-12-2013, 02:48 AM
The Perfect Human*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Maybe not Gagner/Eberle, but RNH perhaps. And Yakupov as well. The point is, that everyone is obsessed with adding that BIG forward. There are plenty of successful players in the league who are great players, who don't get knocked off the puck who are under 6 feet tall. 6 of the top 10 scorers in the league this year were 6 feet or under...
RNH has that Datsyuk-like evasiveness with his edges and skating, but I don't see the strength in him yet that Datsyuk has to withstand a direct shove/hit against the boards and stay on his feet while maintaining possession. That will come with age.

Yakupov is kind of like Zetterberg now that you mention it. Compact, very strong along the boards, and plays a bit of that "mini-power" game you see in some compact players like Mike Richards, Vlad Sobotka, and Scott Nichol. "Little balls of hate".

Old
05-12-2013, 03:07 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Not to make it sound like heresay but former Detroit players will attest to the high level of conditioning Datsyuk has and though seems small is strong as hell. Size and strength aren't always one of the same or come as a package.

You also can't underestimate heart, Datsyuk has it in spades same as zetterberg. I have always liked Gagner cause he cares. A person's success in hockey or in any other aspects in life happen to revolve more around the intangibles, than the tangibles.

We all look at stats, and size and things that often don't translate or relate or are on par with one another. When i watched the St. Louis series i thought gosh i wish Chris Stewart played like Dustin Brown - the one that plays the style of the "big" man is actually smaller.

I agree with you on all you say most organizations build to much on theoretical aspects (i.e. size, remember Dan Lacatoure, Brad Isbister, Brad Winchester, JFJ, Troy bodie ect) or on scouting reports (daigle). You can learn more in this game by watching body language, and tenacity, fortitude, stamina within a player on the ice to see it probably translates off the ice in character, leadership, and desire.

Old
05-12-2013, 04:48 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Sens adding Karlsson and Cowen at the end of the season after the entire year without them can not be underestimated. Adding two top 4 d-men is a huge addition. Karlsson is the most dynamic defenseman in the league. Instantly makes the Sens transition game much more dangerous.

Not to mention Craig Anderson is probably the best goalie in the league right now. The Penguins team is deeper, no doubt. But I give the Sens a better chance than I gave the Islanders. Pens should still win it. But the Sens have a chance.
Kassian Smith Neil are going to make Penguin stew.

Kyle Turris is going to make a lot of people look pretty silly.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:23 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Anderson >>>>>>>>> Fluery. If the Senators can manage to avoid more awful east coast river hockey they'll win by virtue of having a goalie. If they leave him out to dry Pittsburgh will win in 5. Even if Spezza comes back they're still half as talented offensively as the Pens.

Old
05-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Hemsky4PM

Sens are looking like the team of destiny this season. Pittsburgh will have a very tough test against a very physical and "together" team. They are playing very well and I think Alfredsson is an amazing inspiration for that team.

I think it's going the distance. Pittsburgh is shaky and you really need to be going on all cylinders to win the cup, no matter how much talent you have on paper.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

Sens getting a lot of love here. I don't see it. Lets be realistic, the Sens had trouble scoring in the East this season and were beyond hopeless offensively. When kyle lol Turris is your top scorer at 29pts you're in a world of hurt. If Spezza doesn't return and hit the ice running this series will be hopelessly mismatched at Center.

Lets not forget Sens, who again couldn't score all year, rode Anderson to victory against a Habs team that I don't think is all that good either.

The sens hope is that they won't be playing the Pens who should have learned something after the NYI series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Sens are looking like the team of destiny this season. Pittsburgh will have a very tough test against a very physical and "together" team. They are playing very well and I think Alfredsson is an amazing inspiration for that team.

I think it's going the distance. Pittsburgh is shaky and you really need to be going on all cylinders to win the cup, no matter how much talent you have on paper.
Team of destiny? bwahahahaha

Again strange post. Alfredsson an inspiration? Man, I've won bets for decades betting against the SEns and its been the surest bet for me in hockey. Guaranteed failboats year after year for decades. Alfredsson has been there for all of that. Sens are worse imo than Nucks who at least have been to the dance.
Alfredsson is the league poster boy for never accomplishing anything in a career. He's 40 now, an insignificant player, on a talentless forward lineup.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sens getting a lot of love here. I don't see it. Lets be realistic, the Sens had trouble scoring in the East this season and were beyond hopeless offensively. When kyle lol Turris is your top scorer at 29pts you're in a world of hurt. If Spezza doesn't return and hit the ice running this series will be hopelessly mismatched at Center.

Lets not forget Sens, who again couldn't score all year, rode Anderson to victory against a Habs team that I don't think is all that good either.

The sens hope is that they won't be playing the Pens who should have learned something after the NYI series.

Team of destiny? bwahahahaha
I wont go as far as team of destiny haha. I will say Sens>Islanders. And the Penguins have shown that they are far from invincible. Anderson might be all the Sens need to steal a series.

Although... a good defensive team might be exactly what the Penguins ordered. Their elite offensive talent will still be capable of scoring, but the other team wont be throwing as much at them for their shoddy goaltending/defense to have to cover.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I wont go as far as team of destiny haha. I will say Sens>Islanders. And the Penguins have shown that they are far from invincible. Anderson might be all the Sens need to steal a series.

Although... a good defensive team might be exactly what the Penguins ordered. Their elite offensive talent will still be capable of scoring, but the other team wont be throwing as much at them for their shoddy goaltending/defense to have to cover.
Yeah, can't be overstated how much better the Islanders are then the Sens offensively. Plus I think faster to the puck. Tavares of course being lightyears better than anything in the Sens lineup.

I think people get a little fooled by an outlier 6 goal outing against Montreal. A typical Sens score line is 1, or 2 goals for. This kind of thing works for LA, but Sens aren't so great at GA or system play either. Its pretty much riding Anderson. That won't work against the top scoring club in hockey.

Heres the biggest thing is the Islanders could trade goals with the Pens and create some offence. I don't even remotely see how the Sens could do that.

Old
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

The sens are also very good defensively. They're not going to let you score 4 or 5 a game like the isles did. Remember how Montreal shut them down a few years back, this could be similar

Old
05-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
The sens are also very good defensively. They're not going to let you score 4 or 5 a game like the isles did. Remember how Montreal shut them down a few years back, this could be similar
I don't see the Sens playing good D as much as getting great goaltending. They were giving up a lot of shots and scoring chances against even the habs.

I hate to use the word unsustainable on this board but a .950save% is gods handy work.

Fall to Earth with a thud is imminent if they face the Pens.

Lets denote one key thing here. The Pens got their wake up call and will now go on a roll. Islanders put the fear into them after they initially took them lightly and they had to battle from behind in game 6 to force an OT and manage to win it, and the series. Allowing a game 7 could have been disastrous.

For the Pens, this is a lot like the wake up service the Jets did the Oilers in 90 or that Calgary served up regularly enough. Pens now got past their tuning round and will start to play better, cohesive hockey as they should be able to. Look for a Pens team more interested in dominating possession of the puck vs Sens and being relentless in attack. More sustained attack. I just can't see the Sens having the puck much in this series.

The Pens will impose their will, make no mistake.

Old
05-12-2013, 03:38 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

I dunno about you Replacement but I'd take Anderson over either Pens goalie. If your goalie can't stop the shots you're not going to win. Sure the Penguins are bigger than the smallish Habs but the Sens are a team that will do anything to win. The Penguins can't afford games off by them or their goalie this time.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:

not to mention spezza might come back

Old
05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Washington and NYR is the only good series in the east it seems.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I dunno about you Replacement but I'd take Anderson over either Pens goalie. If your goalie can't stop the shots you're not going to win. Sure the Penguins are bigger than the smallish Habs but the Sens are a team that will do anything to win. The Penguins can't afford games off by them or their goalie this time.
Oh of course Sens have better goaltending. Not even a question with that. But Fleury was awful. All Vokoun has to be is average to help Pens win the series. Not like he'll be facing snipers either. Top goalscorer for sens had a dozen goals this year. Sens just don't score many.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

Please win for the love of Gretzky, Bruins. I don't want to hear anymore Leaf talk.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:23 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Please win for the love of Gretzky, Bruins. I don't want to hear anymore Leaf talk.
You think it'll end after they lose? Pshhhh.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:25 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You think it'll end after they lose? Pshhhh.
Of course not but the amount of media attention they got after winning game 5 made me ill. Should Boston win tonight they'll talk about the Leafs until the second round starts. Which thankfully is very soon.

Old
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
GreatMcKeith
PK Draft Lottery!

Really Boston? Are you really going to choke this series away?

Old
05-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Lacaar

Wow after hearing how great Seguin is defensively he looks like a giant piece of crap this series. He blew the coverage on Kessler on that 2-0 goal.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Wow after hearing how great Seguin is defensively he looks like a giant piece of crap this series. He blew the coverage on Kessler on that 2-0 goal.
I just checked out the thread on him on the Bruins board, and there's a lot of complaints about him (and Marchand as well). Some posters even want him scratched for game 7. He's going to be a great player, but it just goes to show you the careers of top young players don't always move in an upward trajectory.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Mcnofool6110
Purcell is **3

Whatever, Seguin has a high hockey IQ. Always gonna be better than the third liner we drafted.

Toronto played pretty well. Which is to say, they didn't play as badly as the Bruins (minus Rask, who was pretty darn good)

Old
05-12-2013, 11:42 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

3-1 Wings. Go meteor.

Closed Thread