HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers have plenty of defensive depth at NCAA and European levels

Old
05-04-2013, 01:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Philadelphia Flyers have plenty of defensive depth at NCAA and European levels

The tale of the NCAA and European bases for the Philadelphia Flyers prospect pool is a particularly one-sided one. The Flyers traditionally shy away from European development, and with Paul Holmgren's yearly blitzkrieg on college free-agents, it is fairly obvious that the scouts within the organization favor the collegiate developmental path.

Of the Flyers' current 37 prospects, 16 have spent time among the NCAA ranks. In comparison, only two of the Flyers' prospects fall into the European grouping. That makes plenty of sense since the organization has only drafted 20 European-based players since 2000, with those numbers thinning greatly closer to present day draft practices by the team.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
We have defensive depth?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
We have defensive depth?
didn't say good depth

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

What I am going to disagree on is the Reece Willcox part. Reason being is that as a freshman he played in every single game as a top 4 defender logging huge minutes on an average at best team.

Quote:
Willcox immediately stepped in as a top-four defenseman, logging substantial minutes both on the penalty kill and at even strength. He was the only Big Red freshman and only one of six players overall to appear in all 34 games. Willcox was on the ice for 20 of the Big Red's 50 even-strength goals, which ranked second on the team among defenseman (behind only Nick D'Agostino). Three of his five points came on the ice at Princeton's Hobey Baker Rink. The first came in the regular season, when he had the secondary assist on John Esposito's power-play goal on Nov. 9. He then added an assist in each game of the Big Red's two-game sweep of the Tigers in the ECAC Hockey Championship first-round series.
http://www.cornellbigred.com/roster....5&path=mhockey

He is one of the few players college players I have seen personally played (around 3-4 times). His skating was phenomenal. Probably the best of our prospects. I don't think he will be a points kind of guy but the 6'4 shot blocking big minute defender. He has a solid first pass also. Im interested in seeing how he develops. First time I saw him was at the prospects camp, and his skating really did wow me.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote