HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best periods of hockey ever!

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2005, 06:58 AM
Marcus-74

vCash: 500
Best periods of hockey ever!

World Championships ´03, Quarter-finals, Finland - Sweden 5-6, 1st period

As a Finn I should probably be shot for saying this, but what the hell, there´s hardly been a more dramatic or exciting international game played in zillion years. Both countries had a good team: Saku Koivu, Teemu Selänne and OJ were the leading lights on the Finnish team and Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin on the Swedish team. Despite of an early goal by Sundin, Finland dominates the first half of the game as they score on poor Tommy Salo at will. After about 28 minutes of entertaining hockey and with Finland leading 5-1, something odd happens (which has been analyzed time and time again after the game) as the Swedes find their legs and the Finns lose theirs. When the 2nd period is over, the score is FIN 5 - SWE 4. You just knew what was going to happen; the Swedes have always had that knack for coming back - at least in the games versus Finland. Anyway, the 3rd period is reasonably tight but the balance of power has clearly shifted in Sweden´s favour and the game sort of culminates in the tying goal scored by Forsberg: He carries the puck from his own end and gets to the attacking zone where the Finnish players either fall or freeze. Forsberg just goes around the net and scores from "zero angle"... it looked so easy! I guess Forsberg is one of those players who can freeze opponents just by holding on to the puck. Anyway, after that the GWG is almost anti-climatic, since I had already lost hope at this point. Sure, the Finns had a few good scoring chances but they just couldn´t get the puck past Mikael Tellqvist (who replaced Salo after the 5-1 goal). Luckily I had stopped taking hockey too seriously a few years before, so I recovered pretty quickly and could recognize that I had just witnessed one of the best (and graziest!) games ever!

Summit Series ´72, Soviet Union - Canada 5-6, 2nd period of the 8th game

The Summit Series and its quality of play has gotten a lot of critisism from the hockey media lately, but this deciding game, for instance, is a great one (when it gets going after the J.P. Parise - Jofef Kompalla -incident). Third period of course has the biggest drama (hail hail Paul Henderson etc.), but in terms of quality action the 2nd tops it easily. This period has it all: fast pace (considering it is year ´72), lots of great pattern plays, good scoring chances and some incredible saves. From the Soviet team the most dangerous unit is the Mikhailov-Petrov-Blinov -line, even though they amazingly can´t score (Dryden and even Phil Esposito, of all people, rob them!). Yakushev-Shadrin-Anisin (which was the best Soviet line in Moscow) also play well and score 2 goals. Of the Canadians we see some good action from the NY Rangers´G-A-G -line (Vic Hadfield had been replaced by Dennis Hull at this point of the series), who finally - well, sort of - had found their game, and from Henderson, Park and Phil Esposito (has there ever been a better and more important save made by a forward than the one Espo makes on Yuri Blinov?). All in all, this is probably my favourite period of hockey ever!

Challenge Cup ´79, NHL All Stars - Soviet Union 0-6, 3rd period of the 3rd game

For me the series of the century (as it was billed), because basically all of my favourite players played in this three-game series: Mikhailov, Kharlamov (1st game only), Balderis and Kapustin (skating-gods!); Bossy, Lafleur and Serge Savard. I guess the games can´t be compared to the Canada Cup ´87 finals, since they were a bit lopsided (NHL dominated the 1st game and Soviets 2nd & 3rd). As a matter of fact, this 3rd game might have been the most competitive of them all! (strange of course when you consider the score). It´s just that the Soviets´goal scoring is that much more effective and Myshkin plays that much better than Cheevers. But the score doesn´t really do justice for All Stars´effort (Guy Lafleur being especially brilliant). All in all, a great game and the third period is very entertaining hockey almost from start to finish. And of course since I´m a bit pro-Soviet it´s nice to see the sometimes cocky Canadians (not to mention Swedes Salming, Hedberg and Nilsson) slightly humiliated.

Canada Cup ´87 finals, Canada - SU 6-5, 1st & 2nd overtime of the 2nd game

Yup yup, I love these games too and although I like the final game best I can hardly deny that these 2 overtimes are the best periods of the finals. Both teams must be tired but it hardly shows: awesome fast-paced end-to-end action, lots of close calls and brilliant saves (especially from Grant Fuhr). And how good was Vladimir Krutov at this point of his career? I mean, Ray Bourque is supposed to be a top-10 defenseman all-time but he gets constantly burned by Krutov! And do I need to praise the play of a certain pair who wore #99 and #66. I don´t think so... you know it by now.

So if you put these periods together, you have my dream game!

Last edited by Marcus-74: 05-03-2005 at 07:22 AM.
Old
05-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Canada Cup ´87 finals, Canada - SU 6-5, 1st & 2nd overtime of the 2nd game
Agreed. I watched this just recently and had forgotten how amazing it was. There was enough scoring opportunities to score four or five goals a piece during those extra periods. I was happy the Canadiens scored only because it meant we were getting a third game!

Old
05-07-2005, 04:24 PM
chooch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-74
[B]
Challenge Cup ´79, NHL All Stars - Soviet Union 0-6, 3rd period of the 3rd game

For me the series of the century (as it was billed), because basically all of my favourite players played in this three-game series: Mikhailov, Kharlamov (1st game only), Balderis and Kapustin (skating-gods!); Bossy, Lafleur and Serge Savard. I guess the games can´t be compared to the Canada Cup ´87 finals, since they were a bit lopsided (NHL dominated the 1st game and Soviets 2nd & 3rd). As a matter of fact, this 3rd game might have been the most competitive of them all! (strange of course when you consider the score). It´s just that the Soviets´goal scoring is that much more effective and Myshkin plays that much better than Cheevers. But the score doesn´t really do justice for All Stars´effort (Guy Lafleur being especially brilliant). All in all, a great game and the third period is very entertaining hockey almost from start to finish. And of course since I´m a bit pro-Soviet it´s nice to see the sometimes cocky Canadians (not to mention Swedes Salming, Hedberg and Nilsson) slightly humiliated.

So if you put these periods together, you have my dream game!
The 3rd period was a big humiliation because the old excuse (we were nt in shape yet didnt apply; hence a new one - we hadnt played together much).

I dont know why u consider the 3rd period of G3 great - it was totally lopsided and very humiliating!!! (for nhl fans I guess). Cheevers started becasue bowman was talked out of dryden by sinden.

Game 2 was very close actually (5-4) and the nhlers had the lead 4-2 at one point I believe. Mikhailov scored a chip shot in the slot to start the comeback.

For me Period 1 of G1 was the best; it started with one of Lafleurs legendary goals (@16 s. from a pass by Bobby Clarke, beating Tretiak with a lightening move to the right) and was an uptempo period with the MSG crowd chanting guy guy every time #10 touched the puck. Great moves by Perreault and hits by Gainey.

I agree with u that it was a star studded series.

Old
05-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Marcus-74

Chooch,

Yes, like I said I´m pro-Soviet (in hockey!) and that probably affects my opinion. Also, I haven´t watched the game for a while so maybe you´re right. I just remember it being quite entertaining period and being reasonably close, but because Cheevers played poorly, it seemed more lopsided than it was.

Anyway, was the 2nd game really a close one? I haven´t seen it (unfortunately!) but everything I have read about the game suggests that the Soviets were very dominant in that game (shots on goal 31-16 in their favour). Tretiak just had one of his worst games ever against the professionals; hence the closeness of the score.

Closed Thread