HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks win Game 1 (2-1 F/OT)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 08:43 AM
  #151
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,906
vCash: 500
So close to winning. I really hope the Hawks brush that off as an aberation. Because punching a team in the mouth to stun them doesn't really if you don't actually win.

nickschultzfan is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 08:57 AM
  #152
TropicalFruitGirl2
A Peachy Hockey Gal!
 
TropicalFruitGirl2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Tough loss for sure for Minnesota, but I tell you what...they were in this game all the way, and if fortune had favored them, they could have easily been the ones with the one goal victory.

For Game 2, I don't think Minnesota has to change a whole lot...if anything.

They managed to contain the Chicago forwards for the most part....Chicago took advantage of a play where Suter simply couldn't flag down the clearing pass....and Minny DID have Crawford beat on a couple occasions including clanking the iron.

Hey, not begrudging Chicago the win...they were just a hair better last night.
But still, most "experts" give the Wild NO fighting chance, and that is simply ridiculous.

No Dany Heatley, no Jason Pominville, no Nik Backstrom....yet Minnesota gave Chicago all they could handle.

I do agree that there are some players who need to be swapped out on this team, but that is something to look into in the off season and into next year.

For the here and now, Minny just needs to stay the course, and do what they did in Game 1 for Game 2.

Patrick Kane looked EXTREMELY frustrated out there...the Wild need to keep him that way...maybe he loses his head a bit and tries to get into extracurricular stuff (bad move on his part), or simply not play his skill game.
In fact, I swear every other play, Kane was pissing and moaning to the refs about something.

It's the playoffs, Patrick, you are NOT going to get the time n space you are accustomed to....deal with it.

Anyways, Minnesota DOES need to finish on plays, no question.

For fans who have watched this team all season, you guys know, that has been an issue for Minnesota...lots of great chances, but not very many good finishes.
I think its more a personnel thing than anything, but again, that isn't something the team can do anything about right now.

What the Wild have is what they have...and believe me, they will be good for years to come as soon as management finishes molding the team.

But for anyone to suggest Chicago would roll over Minnesota...especially so called experts...well, many have lost much credibility with me on that front.

Win or lose, Minnesota will give Chicago a series....the Blackhawks, for all their talent and hype, simply are NOT blowing the Wild away...they didn't in the regular season, and they won't in the playoffs.

TropicalFruitGirl2 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:08 AM
  #153
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Wild played better than I thought. Defense was very good. Scandella was much, much better than expected. The forwards all put forth very strong efforts. Still can't finish at all. Still no threat on the PP.

Hope they can build on the game.

Jarick is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:10 AM
  #154
MNWILDFAN001
Registered User
 
MNWILDFAN001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Was really hoping the Wild would win this one. There were a lot of whistles in the first period. I think frequent stoppages in play will benefit the Wild. The Hawks have lots of speed, skill, and play really well together. The whistles help slow the game down and prevent the Hawks from developing any rhythm.
Parise, Koivu, and Coyle need to be better offensively for this team to have chance.
Wild need to have better breakouts. They're passing the puck to the winger on the side boards where they are getting pressured almost instantly. Need quicker decisions, pass it off or get it up the boards and out of the zone. Can't keep getting bottled up the their own zone so much.
And keep those opposing shots to the outside.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
  #155
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Re: Koivu and Parise

Koivu is S L O W. Just dreadfully, dreadfully slow. To the point where you hope he has a lower body injury so he can maybe recover and get quicker. This doesn't bode well. I don't know if he's going to keep getting slower as he gets older or what. Glad we don't have him on a 10+ year contract.

Parise needs to get into the slot more with the puck. He's great around the net but doesn't seem to want to get into scoring areas. Regardless of what Don Cherry and Mike Yeo say, a 2" perimeter around the net is not prime scoring areas.

Jarick is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
  #156
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,129
vCash: 1100
Still down in Chicago. Was an amazing game to be at. Atmosphere was electric and something we will need to have on Sunday. We cannot let them think they a home game going. I know a lot of people from here going too.

Power Play is going to be what kills this team I'm afraid. You cannot go 0 for 4 and expect to win these games. We lost because of a PP tying up this game.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
  #157
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalFruitGirl2 View Post
Tough loss for sure for Minnesota, but I tell you what...they were in this game all the way, and if fortune had favored them, they could have easily been the ones with the one goal victory.

For Game 2, I don't think Minnesota has to change a whole lot...if anything.

They managed to contain the Chicago forwards for the most part....Chicago took advantage of a play where Suter simply couldn't flag down the clearing pass....and Minny DID have Crawford beat on a couple occasions including clanking the iron.

Hey, not begrudging Chicago the win...they were just a hair better last night.
But still, most "experts" give the Wild NO fighting chance, and that is simply ridiculous.

No Dany Heatley, no Jason Pominville, no Nik Backstrom....yet Minnesota gave Chicago all they could handle.

I do agree that there are some players who need to be swapped out on this team, but that is something to look into in the off season and into next year.

For the here and now, Minny just needs to stay the course, and do what they did in Game 1 for Game 2.

Patrick Kane looked EXTREMELY frustrated out there...the Wild need to keep him that way...maybe he loses his head a bit and tries to get into extracurricular stuff (bad move on his part), or simply not play his skill game.
In fact, I swear every other play, Kane was pissing and moaning to the refs about something.

It's the playoffs, Patrick, you are NOT going to get the time n space you are accustomed to....deal with it.

Anyways, Minnesota DOES need to finish on plays, no question.

For fans who have watched this team all season, you guys know, that has been an issue for Minnesota...lots of great chances, but not very many good finishes.
I think its more a personnel thing than anything, but again, that isn't something the team can do anything about right now.

What the Wild have is what they have...and believe me, they will be good for years to come as soon as management finishes molding the team.

But for anyone to suggest Chicago would roll over Minnesota...especially so called experts...well, many have lost much credibility with me on that front.

Win or lose, Minnesota will give Chicago a series....the Blackhawks, for all their talent and hype, simply are NOT blowing the Wild away...they didn't in the regular season, and they won't in the playoffs.
re the "extra curricular" stuff - it's unlikely, he really doesn't get baited into that. But you can get him off his skill game - that's what Phoenix did last year and he was pretty bad (for him) that series (0g, 4a).

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:28 AM
  #158
MNWILDFAN001
Registered User
 
MNWILDFAN001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Re: Koivu and Parise

Koivu is S L O W. Just dreadfully, dreadfully slow. To the point where you hope he has a lower body injury so he can maybe recover and get quicker. This doesn't bode well. I don't know if he's going to keep getting slower as he gets older or what. Glad we don't have him on a 10+ year contract.

Parise needs to get into the slot more with the puck. He's great around the net but doesn't seem to want to get into scoring areas. Regardless of what Don Cherry and Mike Yeo say, a 2" perimeter around the net is not prime scoring areas.
This is pretty much the only thing I don't like about him. It's frustrating really. Any time there's a loose puck and Koivu is the closest, I lose any hope of the Wild recovering the puck. And I too worry he is going to get slower.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  #159
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 15,129
vCash: 1100
Harding deserves the start on Friday regardless. That was a lights out game by him.

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
  #160
hirawl
Used Register
 
hirawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopsey View Post
We dumped on almost every rush. Most of you defend the the Wild whenever someone else brings up the word boring or trap but how did you not see it? We were dumping on 4 on 3 rushe, 3 on 2 rushes, every 2 on 2 rush.. It's like we have the puck entering the zone, instead of maintaining the god damn puck, we dump it for a 50-50 chance to get it back. 90% of our dumps get cleared out within 10 seconds and its the most frustrating hockey to watch. Call me a hater but our system painful to watch most of the time.
You know what? The minute they start to carry the puck into the zone against the Hawks, it's game over. That's just how it is. Turnovers at the blue line(s) are bad against any team. Against the Hawks they are deadly.

hirawl is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
  #161
Haite
x
 
Haite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,961
vCash: 500
Playing solid defensively and being opportunistic on your chances is exactly how you're supposed to play against the best team in the NHL on road in the playoffs. While Blackhawks did spend a lot of time time in our zone, it's not like they got a truckload of prime scoring opportunities, those were limited pretty well. The thing is, scoring on 0 out of 4 powerplays and only once in regulation is not being "opportunistic", the Wild need to learn how to finish and take advantage of the situations they're given.

Overall it was still a solid game. Even with just minor improvements and a bit of luck (and Pominville?), this can be a series. Though it's not like Chicago played as well as they can either, so we'll see.

Haite is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
  #162
Laredo
Registered User
 
Laredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 202
vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Harding deserves the start on Friday regardless. That was a lights out game by him.
I agree. Start backs on Sunday.

Laredo is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
  #163
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 10,380
vCash: 500
Wild played about as well as we could have hoped. Problem being one goal isn't going to cut it against most any team; especially Chicago. They're going to have to find some scoring if they want to win more than a game in this series. Shutting the opposing team down is all well and good but there needs to be some sort of urgency to create for themselves.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
  #164
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: (_o)/
Country: United States
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Harding deserves the start on Friday regardless. That was a lights out game by him.
This is Harding's series now. He earned it. I say let backs rest up for now. Call up Kuemper for friday, see how Backs is on sunday and if hes well enough, let him back up Harding then.

Avder is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:22 AM
  #165
PuckInTheNards
Registered User
 
PuckInTheNards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
You know a lot of 3rd line centers that put up 60+ points do you?

Am I really getting sucked into a Koivu debate right now? Dammit.
Amen.

PuckInTheNards is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:35 AM
  #166
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
No doubt Koivu's a really good player, but I'm not sure you can win if he's your best offensive player. He's limited in that respect. Compare him to Zucker though, just a completely different player, all speed, all offense. We need more Zuckers to balance out the lineup.

Jarick is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
  #167
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Harding deserves the start on Friday regardless. That was a lights out game by him.
Been thinking this exact same thing all day today and all night last night. I don't care if Backstrom is as healthy as can be, you don't start him when Harding played as great as he did.

Billy Mays Here* is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:00 PM
  #168
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No doubt Koivu's a really good player, but I'm not sure you can win if he's your best offensive player. He's limited in that respect. Compare him to Zucker though, just a completely different player, all speed, all offense. We need more Zuckers to balance out the lineup.
Yup. Zucker's with better playmaking abilities would be ideal. I'm thinking about Duchene or Kane like players. Someone who would be pure offensive presence on the first line.

TZM is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:06 PM
  #169
MNWILDFAN001
Registered User
 
MNWILDFAN001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No doubt Koivu's a really good player, but I'm not sure you can win if he's your best offensive player. He's limited in that respect. Compare him to Zucker though, just a completely different player, all speed, all offense. We need more Zuckers to balance out the lineup.
Zucker but with a little more size. Also think Zucker's play without the puck could be improved.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
  #170
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Skilled offensive players can always learn to play better defense. Can't say the same for the other way around.

Jarick is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:24 PM
  #171
TheeNorthStar
Ok, dis hockey
 
TheeNorthStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,428
vCash: 500
this one still stings

TheeNorthStar is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
  #172
walloftvs
Registered User
 
walloftvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 248
vCash: 340
So if Pommer is ready to go on Friday (I personally doubt it), who comes out? My vote would be Butch.

walloftvs is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
  #173
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: (_o)/
Country: United States
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 64
I think we would see Cal dropped to the 4th line and Konopka sit out. Remember, Butch- Brodz - Pommers was starting to click when Brown took pommers out.

Avder is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
  #174
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloftvs View Post
So if Pommer is ready to go on Friday (I personally doubt it), who comes out? My vote would be Butch.
Likely Rupp or Konopka.

Billy Mays Here* is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
  #175
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,634
vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloftvs View Post
So if Pommer is ready to go on Friday (I personally doubt it), who comes out? My vote would be Butch.
Konopka sits, Mitchell to center, Clutterbuck to the 4th line, the Wild can then roll 4 lines much better to match Chicago's rolling of 4.

TaLoN is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.