HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Flames 2013 offseason plan.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2013, 01:36 AM
  #251
Volica
Registered User
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
I'd be more than okay having Richards on the team for 2-3 years as a stop gap.

He had a bad playoff performance, but still would have been Calgary's top scorer had he been on the team this year rofl. It is very important to have these types of guys around to mentor younger guys, as well as still perform on the team... so that the team can be somewhat competitive. As long as it's not a 5-6 million dollar deal on a 6 year term; I'd even be happy to have him on a 6 million for 2-3 years, as long as Cammy or Tangs can be dealt for some required help on defense.

My only hope is that Calgary doesn't offer any "help" to the Rangers in the form of taking Brad Richards off their hands for 'nothing' (i.e a prospect that turns out to be a good one). If Calgary wants to 'help' teams, I really hope that it costs other teams a top prospect or pick to be helped out.

Volica is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 09:53 AM
  #252
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
meh, he's a determined pro that's still way better than any center on this team

I'd bring him in just to mentor Backlund
Not for 3 years at 5million. Which is the contract Feaster would likely offer him.

TylerSVT* is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
  #253
TriPPinVdUb
Registered User
 
TriPPinVdUb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Trade mike cammalerri + 6th overall+Paul Byron to Nashville for Paul gaustad + 4th
.
Id make that deal any day, gives us a better chance to pick a potential franchise center and a solid #3/4 center that is tough as nails and good on the draw.

Not so sure Nashville takes it though, I honestly think they would be more interested in Tangs then Cammy, but I don't see them handing over Paul, hes a predator type player through and through.

TriPPinVdUb is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 01:25 PM
  #254
TriPPinVdUb
Registered User
 
TriPPinVdUb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Not for 3 years at 5million. Which is the contract Feaster would likely offer him.
I bet you he offers him more then that... I would almost guarantee that he would be willing to take Richards from the Rangers through trade and inherit that god awful contract.

TriPPinVdUb is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
  #255
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPPinVdUb View Post
I bet you he offers him more then that... I would almost guarantee that he would be willing to take Richards from the Rangers through trade and inherit that god awful contract.
Richards at 75% salary for a 7th round pick?

I might do that.

Stewie Griffin is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 03:37 PM
  #256
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,600
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Richards at 75% salary for a 7th round pick?

I might do that.
Sather managed to dump Gomez and his contract on Montreal for McDonaugh and Higgens.

And a short while later, he dumped Kotalik and his contract on the Flames for a soon to be UFA Jokinen and Prust.

Based on the kind of GM Sather is when it comes to trades, and the kind of GM Feaster/King/Edwards are, a more likely scenario is Jankowski + Stajan for Richards with no salary retained.


Last edited by Calculon: 05-24-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Calculon is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:10 PM
  #257
TriPPinVdUb
Registered User
 
TriPPinVdUb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Sather managed to dump Gomez and his contract on Montreal for McDonaugh and Higgens.

And a short while later, he dumped Kotalik and his contract on the Flames for a soon to be UFA Jokinen and Prust.

Based on the kind of GM Sather is when it comes to trades, and the kind of GM Feaster.King/Edwards are, a more likely scenario is Jankowski + Stajan for Richards with no salary retained.
In no way, shape or form do I want Feaster trying to put a trade together with Slather for Richards....

I imagine it would look allot like that scene in deliverance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1266872097_deliverance_1.jpg‎ (15.3 KB, 7 views)

TriPPinVdUb is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 05:58 PM
  #258
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Richards at 75% salary for a 7th round pick?

I might do that.
Only if it is conditional. haha.

HighLifeMan is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 06:35 PM
  #259
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Not for 3 years at 5million. Which is the contract Feaster would likely offer him.
That contract is fine, people are overrating his poor 28 games and Torts being a moron.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:08 PM
  #260
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,746
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
That contract is fine, people are overrating his poor 28 games and Torts being a moron.
they really are. He never had outstanding numbers under Torts in the past, don't know why it was expected now. Plus any older player sitting 12 months is going to suffer the ill effects of a slow start and the condensed schedule works against them too.

Adirondack Flames is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:22 PM
  #261
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
they really are. He never had outstanding numbers under Torts in the past, don't know why it was expected now. Plus any older player sitting 12 months is going to suffer the ill effects of a slow start and the condensed schedule works against them too.
Torts is a Sutter like coach and Richards is Stajan like player under Hartley Stajan had a big bounce back year Richards would likewise thrive in this system. I never thought I would hear people complain about a #1 centerman on a 3 year 15 million dollar deal.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:32 PM
  #262
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,746
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Torts is a Sutter like coach and Richards is Stajan like player under Hartley Stajan had a big bounce back year Richards would likewise thrive in this system. I never thought I would hear people complain about a #1 centerman on a 3 year 15 million dollar deal.
I was reading Calgary Puck yesterday and some were complaining about $3 million per for 3 years. This fan base has serious delusion issues.

Adirondack Flames is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
  #263
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I was reading Calgary Puck yesterday and some were complaining about $3 million per for 3 years. This fan base has serious delusion issues.
We just need something to ***** about

But seriously he had 34 points in 46 games in his worst season ever and people are acting like he is Babchuck.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:46 PM
  #264
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Torts is a Sutter like coach and Richards is Stajan like player under Hartley Stajan had a big bounce back year Richards would likewise thrive in this system. I never thought I would hear people complain about a #1 centerman on a 3 year 15 million dollar deal.
To be fair that particular contract concerned Gaustad, not Richards. I too think Richards would thrive offensively here. Wouldn't be opposed to signing him - at least not on a shorter-term "reestablishment" type deal. We have some space to work with moving forward.

Nordberg is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:47 PM
  #265
Hockey Ninja
Go Flames Go!
 
Hockey Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I was reading Calgary Puck yesterday and some were complaining about $3 million per for 3 years. This fan base has serious delusion issues.
I think they mainly don't want him because they are afraid that Feaster would give him more money and a longer term. But at 3 years for $3M? Who the hell would say no to that type of contract for a 60-80 point center?

Hockey Ninja is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 07:53 PM
  #266
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
To be fair that particular contract concerned Gaustad, not Richards. I too think Richards would thrive offensively here. Wouldn't be opposed to signing him - at least not on a shorter-term "reestablishment" type deal. We have some space to work with moving forward.
Seeing how we where Richards 2nd choice I could see him wanting to come here especially when he will have a better chance on the first line unlike most teams and with players like Cammy, Tangs, Hudler he won't be the only player on the team that can score so there won't be nearly as much pressure.

Also the original quote was about Richards who was talking about Guastad?

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:01 PM
  #267
Nordberg
Registered User
 
Nordberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Landskrona
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Also the original quote was about Richards who was talking about Guastad?
As I understood it the "3 year 15 million dollar deal" you mentioned was suggested to be what Feaster would offer Paul Gaustad. It's inconsequential really; you're certainly right that fans are too quick to jump on the train bashing Rangers offensive players. Which offensive, creative players have thrived under Tortorella lately? It just doesn't work out. Gaborik gets traded, Nash can't score, Richards gets scratched in an elimination game... It's no coincidence.

Nordberg is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:06 PM
  #268
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,823
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
As I understood it the "3 year 15 million dollar deal" you mentioned was suggested to be what Feaster would offer Paul Gaustad. It's inconsequential really; you're certainly right that fans are too quick to jump on the train bashing Rangers offensive players. Which offensive, creative players have thrived under Tortorella lately? It just doesn't work out. Gaborik gets traded, Nash can't score, Richards gets scratched in an elimination game... It's no coincidence.
No we were talking about Richards the whole time but it doesn't matter.

Torts is **** coach I have always hated him, with the shortened season people won't believe alot of the break outs but when a guy has a poor season (would have been our leading scorer) he is instantaneously garbage.

If Richards is bought out and if he is willing to accept a 2-3 year deal we should be front of the line trying to get him. Not only can he produce offensively but he can also win a faceoff.

TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:35 PM
  #269
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,600
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
they really are. He never had outstanding numbers under Torts in the past, don't know why it was expected now. Plus any older player sitting 12 months is going to suffer the ill effects of a slow start and the condensed schedule works against them too.
79 points in 82 games in 03-04 and 91 in 82 in 05-06. He's had some success under Torts before, but that was under Tort's previous system which was actually a lot more up tempo. The current system is terrible though and completely stifles offense.

Seems like most of the complaints against Richards are because of his contract, which is admittedly terrible. But reading Rangers fans comments earlier in the season, there seemed to be a consensus that Richards was actually hurting the team with his lackluster effort. He got better as the season went on, but a lot of Rangers still see Richards as more of a detriment.

Calculon is offline  
Old
05-24-2013, 08:35 PM
  #270
Trae
Registered User
 
Trae's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Seeing how we where Richards 2nd choice I could see him wanting to come here especially when he will have a better chance on the first line unlike most teams and with players like Cammy, Tangs, Hudler he won't be the only player on the team that can score so there won't be nearly as much pressure.

Also the original quote was about Richards who was talking about Guastad?
I feel like Iginla would have been a big reason for any Free Agent to come here, don't think we'd be at the top of Richards list unless we throw mad money at him.

Trae is offline  
Old
05-25-2013, 01:26 AM
  #271
TriPPinVdUb
Registered User
 
TriPPinVdUb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
I don't honestly believe that the Rangers will by out a contract at $6.6 mill a year for the next 6 years. Why would they? They can hold off for at least another season, if Richards has a strong season they can either move him at the deadline, keep him or nut him out then with one less year on his contract.

I don't see them in a position were they have to move him right now. They have plenty of cap space heading in to the off season, a deep prospect pool and only two players this year that will require a significant raise.

If we do acquire Brad I'm betting it will be through trade.

TriPPinVdUb is offline  
Old
05-25-2013, 06:41 AM
  #272
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,341
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPPinVdUb View Post
I don't honestly believe that the Rangers will by out a contract at $6.6 mill a year for the next 6 years. Why would they? They can hold off for at least another season, if Richards has a strong season they can either move him at the deadline, keep him or nut him out then with one less year on his contract.

I don't see them in a position were they have to move him right now. They have plenty of cap space heading in to the off season, a deep prospect pool and only two players this year that will require a significant raise.

If we do acquire Brad I'm betting it will be through trade.
This. If any other coach was behind the Rangers bench, there would be no doubt in my mind that Richards would have played Game 5. Also, Torts plays a system that doesn't benefit many of the highly skilled/scorers in the league, so you have to take that into context.

TherapyforGlencross is offline  
Old
05-25-2013, 04:04 PM
  #273
Adirondack Flames
Registered User
 
Adirondack Flames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,746
vCash: 50
I just want to throw some facts out there about the Richards contract.

If he is acquired by trade after July 1st, there will be $34 million owing on the contract. So despite the $6,666,667 cap hit the team acquiring Richards would be paying an average of less than $5 million per season.

If the Rangers were able to eat 25% of the contract the team acquiring Richards would be on the hook for 25.5 million over 7 years in terms of actual dollars, the cap hit would be $5,000,000.

If the Rangers were able to eat 50% of the contract the team acquiring Richards would be on the hook for 17 million over 7 years in terms of actual dollars, the cap hit would be $3,333,333.

The catch (from my understanding) is that if the Rangers eat any salary on a Richards deal that if he retires before the contract is done the Rangers will still be stuck with the cap hit. This makes a buyout more possible, almost likely from my perspective as I think it is unlikely a team (that Richards will accept a trade to) will trade for the full contract.

Adirondack Flames is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 05:36 AM
  #274
Hockey Ninja
Go Flames Go!
 
Hockey Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 410
vCash: 500
Calgary Flames off-season game plan

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424137

Hockey Ninja is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
  #275
Flamesarmstrong22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
The more I have thought about it the more I think our #1 target this year in free agency should be Tyler Bozak. He is a young centre who can contribute to the rebuild and has handled the 1C role with Calgary nicely. I'm not saying he is a 1C but he can play there for now and I would be happy going into next season with bozak,backlund, and stajan as our top 3 C's.
I am a bit of a leafs fan as well and I know that bozak and the leafs are far off on an extension because bozak wants more than toronto is willing to offer which is why I believe Calgary can swoop in and sign bozak because we can afford to over pay for him. I would go 4 years 4.5 mil max. It's an overpayment but he is still young, has proved he can handle 1C and is a good penalty killer as well.

Tanguay,Bozak,Cammalerri
Baertchi,backlund,hudler
Glencross,stajan,stempniak
Horak,jones, Aliu/mcgratten?

I would be content going in to next season with those forwards, we just need to add a top 4 D and maybe a bottom pairing big body D to replace sarich and we could be good to go. Roll with ramo,MacDonald and Berra in net

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.