HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murphy and Rask remain top prospects for Carolina Hurricanes

Old
05-19-2013, 06:15 PM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Murphy and Rask remain top prospects for Carolina Hurricanes

Despite lacking a lot of depth and talent, the Carolina Hurricanes organization has top-end prospects in the pipeline, including the offensively talented defenseman Ryan Murphy, and a potential rising offensive star in Victor Rask. There are also several good depth defensemen who, in the near future, could solidify the Carolina blue line.

1. (1) Ryan Murphy, D, 8.0C
Drafted 1st round, 12th overall, 2011

Over the last eight months, Ryan Murphy played hockey for four different teams in two hemispheres at four levels of competition. Murphy captained the Kitchener Rangers in the OHL, and collected 49 points through 54 regular season games.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Dalpe will need to continue the hard work and gritty style of play if he is to secure a full-time NHL spot next season.
Quote:
Although [Jordan] failed to score in those five games, he did show that he is a reliable and developing blueliner who is nearly ready for a full-time NHL roster spot.
lmao

The difference in tone between the descriptions of Nash and Dalpe also reflects a total disconnect with reality.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:16 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
I wonder, is Cory still writing for HF? feels like forever since I've seen an article of his on here.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
So Chris Terry plummets from 7th to 13th despite the fact that he got his first NHL call up and scored a goal in 2 games. Hmm.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:36 PM
wallym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
So Chris Terry plummets from 7th to 13th despite the fact that he got his first NHL call up and scored a goal in 2 games. Hmm.
Every year these 'kids' in their early 20's age without fixing what's keeping them out of the NHL warrants plummeting.

Re Dalpe vs. Nash, Nash looks like he has the skills to be a terrible 3rd line center on a team with 0 options, and not much more. So sticking in the NHL is going to be very very hard for him. Dalpe has the tools to be more, but hasn't put it together yet.

I think the tone reflects possibility. There is a possibility Dalpe makes the jump, and becomes a valuable NHL player. Harder to imagine Nash doing the same.
(highly subjective of course. I'm sure some think Nash is already an okay 3rd line center, and is a valuable NHL player. I just don't happen to agree)

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
bleedgreen

Rankings are always so subjective. Nash stuck in the NHL because he found a niche we lack, that no one we have can knock him out of yet. Dalpe would appear to be the same in some ways but it hasn't happened yet. Nash can stick as bottom 6. More questionable for dalpe. This is a ranking for the NHL not nhl scorers.

I think our list is pretty pedestrian, as its been for much of my adulthood. A couple of guys who could be regulars, a lot of maybe role players. Very little potential for dynamic talent. Hard to argue about who's better between 7 guys who are somewhere between 6.6 and 7.1. The Biega/Lowe/Levi/Jordan pipeline to mediocrity is interesting to watch, one or two making it would stabilize the blue line overall.

I do disagree about terry, I think he has a legit chance in the right situation. He's our "Detroit" prospect. Over ripened. He didn't look too slow to me out there.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:32 AM
semin4captain

The tone I'm referring to is in the description of their NHL play this season, not referencese to their alleged potential.

Dalpe "held his own" while Nash was "mostly average". Dalpe's point toals are given the qualifier of playing "primarily third line minutes" while no such excuse is made for Nash, who played 20 seconds more per game and got worse linemates (this also proves that the writer didn't watch the games; Dalpe actually spent most of the time on the second line, but didn't receive any powerplay time and was frequently benched for defensive purposes). Nash's point totals coming mostly from two games are cited for evidence that he merely had a "few good games", but Dalpe on the other hand can go pointless in 8 out of 10 games (his points being a secondary assist, an empty net assist and a goal in a blowout loss) and still "held his own" overall. Dalpe's AHL numbers are also brought up to bolster his case, but no such luck for Nash, who had marginally worse numbers. Very clear, obvious bias here. If you want to make the claim that Dalpe has more potential than Nash and rank him ahead, it's fair to do so, but this is just ridiculous.

Our prospect writers have had a hard-on for Dalpe for the longest time and it appears that consistent failure to do anything in the NHL really doesn't matter at all because potential. At what point does potential run out? It ran out two years ago for Boychuk, who got slagged here while Dalpe was described in the same glowing tone he is now: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...nes_prospects/

Last edited by semin4captain: 05-20-2013 at 06:37 AM.
semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Yeah, I don't get that either. Nash did play a decent two-way game. Ideally he's probably a fourth liner, but that's no reason to slag him when he was literally the only dependable player in the bottom six for a long stretch of the season. That's more proven in the NHL than anything Dalpe has shown.

Terry to me seems like a gamer. He's a PPG player in the AHL. Can anybody else in the system claim that? Plenty of guys with picturesque skating strides that don't amount to anything.

Based on what we saw of Jordan the enthusiasm is misplaced. I expect the same is true for Biega. The idea of him being a second-pair guy a little over a year from now is almost laughable.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Joe McGrath

Aren't these rankings going to change in about a month anyway, when the #5 pick is the #1 prospect anyway?

I think Terry's future is that of Keith Aucoin (if he plays his cards right). I don't know enough about his two way game to judge him, but I'd suggest nailing down that aspect if he wants a real long look in the NHL.

Dalpe vs. Nash? They are probably about even right now. I don't see Nash as more than a 4th line center who could move up to 3rd if you have injuries (unlike Brent). Dalpe's ceiling is still higher but he hasn't shown enough at the NHL level and its time for him to shot or get off the lot. Gee where have I heard that before....

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:11 PM
bluedevil58*

Anyone who thinks that Murphy is going to be an NHL defense men needs to re-evaluate him. He is too small. We are in big big trouble if these are our top 2 prospects....

bluedevil58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
geehaad

I think he will be an NHL defenseman.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Murphy will be fine. Rafalski was small but it didn't hurt him and he played a far bigger role early on in his career than what will be expected from Murphy.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Sturgeon's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil58 View Post
Anyone who thinks that Murphy is going to be an NHL defense men needs to re-evaluate him. He is too small. We are in big big trouble if these are our top 2 prospects....
The current Norris Trophy holder has 1 more inch and 1 less pound that Ryan Murphy.

If Murphy fails, it will be because he can't play defense, not because of his size.

"You sensed that you should be following a different path, a more ambitious one, you felt that you were destined for other things but you had no idea how to achieve them and in your misery you began to hate everything around you."
Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:27 PM
bluedevil58*

I just want to add that I am hoping that I eat my words.

bluedevil58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I think Terry's future is that of Keith Aucoin (if he plays his cards right). I don't know enough about his two way game to judge him, but I'd suggest nailing down that aspect if he wants a real long look in the NHL.
I really think Terry could be a 15 goal scorer on the third line. That goal he scored was all luck, but he might just be one of those guys who gets followed around by the puck. Kind of like Tlusty. He certainly made an impact in the two games he played on the line with Nash and Dwyer.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:44 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

You know, for some reason I thought Ryan Murphy was tinier than he is. At 5'11'', he's really not *that* small for a defenseman. Some other players with similar height:

Kimmo Timmonen
Brian Campbell
Lubomir Visnovsky
Dan Boyle
Mark Streit
JM Liles
Raphael Diaz
Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Ballard
Yannick Weber

Granted, all of these players have some weight on him, but if he can fill out a bit, he's not that undersized.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:21 PM
bleedgreen

Well I assume you're going by the listed height. Not sure how they got those listed heights, some guys apparently had their skates on. Also not saying Murphy's numbers are fudged, just saying he wouldn't be the first little fella listed as much bigger than he actually is.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:25 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
You know, for some reason I thought Ryan Murphy was tinier than he is. At 5'11'', he's really not *that* small for a defenseman. Some other players with similar height:

Kimmo Timmonen
Brian Campbell
Lubomir Visnovsky
Dan Boyle
Mark Streit
JM Liles
Raphael Diaz
Kevin Shattenkirk
Keith Ballard
Yannick Weber

Granted, all of these players have some weight on him, but if he can fill out a bit, he's not that undersized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Well I assume you're going by the listed height. Not sure how they got those listed heights, some guys apparently had their skates on. Also not saying Murphy's numbers are fudged, just saying he wouldn't be the first little fella listed as much bigger than he actually is.
Like bleedgreen just said - there's no way Murphy's actually 5'11", same for Skinner. They must use some special version of a measuring stick in Kitchener.

05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Agreed. I have seen more than one Ottawa fan say that after meeting Karlsson, there is no way he is 5'11". Maybe in skates he's that talk.

Murphy is going to be fine. He looked great in his call-up last year, all things considered, and I though he looked very good in Charlotte as well. Enstrom is at least an inch shorter and plays a great 2-way game. Murphy just needs to put in more time developing his defensive skills.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Regardless, you're missing the point. Those guys are more or less the same height as Murphy, as if they can be successful NHL defensemen, so can Murphy.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
bleedgreen

The better Murphy does offensively, the less perfect he has to be on d. I've always never understood the hate for offensive d types. I get it if its bad decisions then fine, like turning pucks over frequently with bad passes or dangles but if its just a guy who pushes the play all the time and breaks us out well then that's good defense from good offense and nearly just as good. Time not spent in our end is good defense.

I think he can be fine, he just needs to learn positioning. I see him just standing in front if the net, not sure who or what to grab at sometimes. He's there, that's the first step. He isn't wandering around at the point. Reading the play and being proactive with positioning will be huge these first couple of years.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:24 AM
Joe McGrath

I feel like Marge Simpson reading this board. I. This weeks episode: the new "dumbest comment I've ever hear"

Old
05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
bleedgreen

Got something to say? Let it rip.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Got something to say? Let it rip.
It wasn't your comment. It was the definitive statement about how a person the same size as the reigning Norris trophy winner can't make it as an NHL defenseman solely because of his size.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
It wasn't your comment. It was the definitive statement about how a person the same size as the reigning Norris trophy winner can't make it as an NHL defenseman solely because of his size.
Got it. Bah, was just looking for an excuse to let this guy out.