HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

pre-game warmup

Old
09-01-2014, 02:13 PM
WickedWinger

vCash: 500
pre-game warmup

So I wanted to start this thread to hopefully get a few ideas for Pre-game warm ups. As I'm sure most of you guys in the rec world all have a very limited on ice warm up time like mine, I would really like to know what some of you do to get the most out of it.

I personally stretch in the locker room first, that way my ice time is reserved for actual skating/shooting/stick handling. I try to go on a bike ride before games also, if time permits. Even with all of this, that two minutes before the puck drops doesn't feel like enough as I still don't really feel warmed up until the third period.

There are some great tips I found around the net, but they're more geared towards 5-10 minute on ice drills, not 2 minutes.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Valorn83

I play defense so most of my warm up is taken up doing a couple of laps and then working on transitions from forward and backwards. I then shoot against the boards a little before taking shots on goal. If a goalie is in I try and pick a pad or glove to hit. It not I try and hit the corners. We usually have 5 minutes before the game starts to warm up.

Before getting on the ice I'll stick handle a bit with a ball or green biscuit. Mostly I try to get skating warmed up so my legs are feeling good and start working up a sweat.

Valorn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

My team does a lap, then horizontally across the ice facing one way as to work forward and backwards skating/transitions. Then we do a horseshoe drill.

thevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 08:32 AM
sanityplease

A former nhl player told me last summer, to stretch after a light skating warm-up, not before.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 08:37 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

IMO, time spent stretching during warmups is wasted. That ought to be done in the locker room, or on the bench if really necessary. When you only have a few minutes to get ready, that time is better spent in calisthenic warmup (ie, skating), getting a feel for the ice going both forwards and backwards, and handling the puck a bit.

Again IMO, a player is better off skating laps for 5 minutes than laying on the ice stretching.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 11:17 AM
BlueJazz

My warmup starts with a few laps to get my legs moving, a few transitions forwards to backwards, and then I spend whatever's left passing against the boards. I'm a beginner, and I find what needs the most work is my passing and stickhandling. I get lots of skating practice during the game, but I'll likely only touch the puck a handful of times, so I need as much time as possible working on that.

On the subject of stretching, I'm rehabbing a strained muscle in my hip and my physiotherapist is adamant about not stretching before the game, and instead stretching out after. Not just while rehabbing, but as a general rule.

BlueJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 11:58 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
our team meets a close bar with favorable wait staff and drinks 2-5 vodka waters before every game.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 02:57 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
our team meets a close bar with favorable wait staff and drinks 2-5 vodka waters before every game.
Nice.

I get to the rink, watch a minute or two of the game that is going on, go to the dressing room, open my pre-game beer(only 1 beer prior to playing), make sure the tape on my stick is good to go(I don't like ratty tape). Make sure my laces are good to go(i like them all flat, and not twisted over), and then I am ready to rock.

I've never stretched in my life. I am not condoning doing things that way, its just never been a part of my regimen. I've played baseball my whole life, am an avid runner(ran 3 marathons), and now I play hockey. I figure no sense mixing it up now at the age of 36.

When I hit the ice, I usually do two laps around the goalie, then skate a few times back and forth at center ice. Take 1 practice shot on goal, then see if anyone I know is on the other team, and say "hey".

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

I normally do a few laps, stretch, then get some shots in on the goalie. Nothing weird or special, really.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 06:28 PM
robmneilson

First, I usually go to center ice and sacrifice a small mammal to our dark lord and dedicate our impending victory to him.

After that a few laps and shoot a couple of pucks at the goalies pads or glove. Then stretch my legs on the boards while the captain is going over our lines and etc before the face off.

Unfortunately where I play in Houston we only get a 3 minute warmup. The 5 minutes we were getting in NY was a luxury!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2014, 07:00 PM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
IMO, time spent stretching during warmups is wasted. That ought to be done in the locker room, or on the bench if really necessary. When you only have a few minutes to get ready, that time is better spent in calisthenic warmup (ie, skating), getting a feel for the ice going both forwards and backwards, and handling the puck a bit.

Again IMO, a player is better off skating laps for 5 minutes than laying on the ice stretching.
wow your locker rooms and bench must be a lot bigger than what we have. There's barely enough room for the team to get changed, let alone some room to stretch.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by damack View Post
wow your locker rooms and bench must be a lot bigger than what we have. There's barely enough room for the team to get changed, let alone some room to stretch.
Nah, they're not bigger By locker room, I mean the hallway or a spot outside the glass while you wait for the Zamboni.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 01:49 PM
buddhaknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Funny, our team heads to the local pub, orders about 10 dozen buffalo wings along with a about 4-5 pints each before every game. No one every throws up or throws a punch. Come to think of it we don't win much either.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhaknows View Post
Funny, our team heads to the local pub, orders about 10 dozen buffalo wings along with a about 4-5 pints each before every game. No one every throws up or throws a punch. Come to think of it we don't win much either.
but i bet the other team looks at you guys and wonders why you always look like you are having fun.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 06:54 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valorn83 View Post
I play defense so most of my warm up is taken up doing a couple of laps and then working on transitions from forward and backwards. I then shoot against the boards a little before taking shots on goal. If a goalie is in I try and pick a pad or glove to hit. It not I try and hit the corners. We usually have 5 minutes before the game starts to warm up.

Before getting on the ice I'll stick handle a bit with a ball or green biscuit. Mostly I try to get skating warmed up so my legs are feeling good and start working up a sweat.
Man, i'm always astonished by how few people i see doing some transitions in "warmups" most of the time. Sometimes i feel like a bit of a showoff or just an ass doing this kind of stuff, transitions, little edge drills, just getting a feel for the ice and opening things up. People seem to love just skating around leisurely in counterclockwise circles for a "warmup", idgi.

One of my absolute favs for "warmup" is heel-to-heel transitions moving forward (laterally), alternating sides with exaggerated crossovers in between. It's just something that gives me that confident feel for the ice and my skates under me, tests all the edges so i know they're there and feels like it opens up my groin to do work.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2014, 08:45 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

sometimes we barely get a warmup and that sucks.
our goalie doesn't even get shot on
our warmups are usually like 2-5 minutes lol

i skate 2 laps
stretch
and then take like 5 shots before puck drop.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 04:09 PM
WickedWinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorbjorb View Post
sometimes we barely get a warmup and that sucks.
our goalie doesn't even get shot on
our warmups are usually like 2-5 minutes lol

i skate 2 laps
stretch
and then take like 5 shots before puck drop.
That sounds a lot like ours where I play. There's times where we get out there and the 16 year old that's in charge of the bucket-O-pucks is no where to be found. The ref has to go track him down just to get a puck to start the game with.

WickedWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2014, 07:51 PM
SpringfieldSkins

I'll skate around the net one or two times, practice a toe drag or five, then take a few shots on net. Two or three slap shots and two or three wristers. I usually stretch on the bench while the zam is out.

SpringfieldSkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2014, 11:39 PM
JoeCool16

If you can work in the St. Louis Drill (two lines in either corner, alternating skating in a semi-circle to the blue line, taking a pass from the other line and swooping back in to take a shot) with the whole team participating, it can usually help a lot.

I only had one team ever that did it, and we won the league that year, so there's that for an endorsement! Importantly, it gives you a feel for the puck, and taking a pass in motion as well as making a pass to a moving target. You also can give the goalie some contact with the puck to get him ready too.

I find taking and making passes while moving preps me a lot more than standing by the blue line and sending passes over to another guy standing at the other end of the blue line. Gets a bit of a feel for the puck, but it doesn't really replicate anything in a hockey game.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Thesensation19

I think static stretches like yoga, or holding a stretch for 10 seconds should be practiced on its own time for the most part. Everyone should do it daily. And not just before practice or a game.

And when you have a rec league game. Stretch 2x a day.

Then when you get to your game. Do a dynamic stretch and warm up.
I like to do this little routine where I take 10 yards of space. And I run back and forth performing different movements. Lunges, Kicks, twists, squats, digs, karaoke, hops, high knees and sprints. Its a constant 5-15 minute movement that gets you sweating, pumps your heart, loosens your muscles and joints.

Then I get my stuff ready. Skates, equipmet, stick. whatever.

Hop on the ice. Do some skating one way, then another. Backwards. No puck yet. I stretch a bit more if needed. Then start doing sharp turns. Get use to the edges and the speed. Then ill start shooting. ease into it. And then ill be ready.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2014, 09:18 PM
SJGoalie32

I show up at the rink 4 mins before the game starts, quickly get my gear on, step onto the ice with about 30 seconds left in warmups, stand in front of a shot or two, then I'm good to go.

Occasionally my work/life schedule allows me to show up early enough to actually get fully dressed before warmups start. So I step on to the rink, head over to my crease, check that the net is in it's proper position, do some light crease skating drills, then I position for shots. 3 forwards skate all the way in and try to deke me out and snipe roof, then another guy skates in at full speed winds up and rips a slapshot as hard as possible at my head from about 25 feet away. Then I skate over to the boards, shake my head, and remind myself why I don't like to show up for warmups.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 08:06 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

alright we've started to do a quick horse shoe drill. simple but what ever

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote