HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 03:11 AM
madhi19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
If it's revealed in the summer that he played the majority of the season with a pulled groin or something like that, then it all makes sense. I'd like to see anyone else play at a high level with a pulled groin in net.

Personally, I don't think he's been SO bad like others here have. We've all seen what he's capable of playing like when he's on his game/healthy. He'll be fine.
If he was playing hurt then management screwed up big time and he had no business playing. They should have let Budaj handle the rest of the season or at least until Price was fully heal.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I agree on the microscope part.

Please look at the replay . Anderson faced 2 laser beams that were awesome . Those are highlight reel scoring plays that we would be talking about if not for the ****** final result.
They might have exposed a weakness in Anderson's game - pick a corner - he's vulnerable. I saw a lot of players attempting to go top shelf after those two goals.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
They might have exposed a weakness in Anderson's game - pick a corner - he's vulnerable. I saw a lot of players attempting to go top shelf after those two goals.
That's a weakness in every goalie's game. It's just not easy to do. Top goalies make you take a perfect shot to beat them.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:18 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It would greatly assuage my fears about Price if he has been playing injured all year. It would explain a lot of things.
Really?

It may assuage your fears about Price but for me it creates a whole new and more worrisome batch of fears concerning the intelligence of the medical, coaching & management staffs.

Occam's Razor:

Price has been inconsistent versus the doctors, trainers, coaches & GM with the ass GMs risking the playoffs & their starting goalie's health.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:24 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
Personally, I don't think he's been SO bad like others here have.
And this thought still exists after viewing Price's playoff & regular season stats?

Proof of the power of imagination.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlan View Post
Hes absolutely right. Try watching other teams for a while.
That's the problem. I do watch other teams...do you? Keep trying to tell me that a goalie who has numbers in the bottom 3rd in the league and an atrocious playoff record is "great" or "elite".

Old
05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Have you watched those games ?

There's literally no difference between the two goalies. Watch the defense around him. Much better team, much better scoring.
I don't expect you to see the difference between Rask and Price, I was addressing others on the board who are watching the playoffs and actually process what they are seeing.

no difference?

Old
05-09-2013, 08:48 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
And this thought still exists after viewing Price's playoff & regular season stats?

Proof of the power of imagination.
Yeah, because stats are the best indicators of the goalies performance, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
That's the problem. I do watch other teams...do you? Keep trying to tell me that a goalie who has numbers in the bottom 3rd in the league and an atrocious playoff record is "great" or "elite".
Read up, you're smarter than that.

Quote:
I don't expect you to see the difference between Rask and Price, I was addressing others on the board who are watching the playoffs and actually process what they are seeing.

no difference?
Okay... Keep going with your childish act... Those are easy to say when you're a position of discomfort in an arguing process.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I don't want to make any comparisons to him (and he has a Stanley Cup)...but have a look what's transpiring with MAF in Pittsburgh. Everyone has a shelf life, basically, regardless of their draft position.

Price has to get over that hump and play consistently great. Consistency often separates good or average goalies from high-end goalies. That trust factor.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:09 AM
onice

Quote:
If not stats then what? A fan's biased opinion.

Coupling Price's stats with the team's 4th overall placing in the league and you get a decent idea of what is going on.

It's not perfect but it's better than coming onto this forum and declaring that Price is an elite goaltender.

I can understand saying that stats can be deceiving. In previous years the Habs were not a quality team so Price's record was affected. That I can accept.

But this year we had a team that finished 4th overall and his stats are not among the top goaltenders. And he has played inconsistently during the last four games. 2 solid games, 1 that he crapped the bed and another that he was MIA with the rest of the team. Where does that indicate that he is elite? You want to blame his record on the team? So when does Price get to take ownership of his record?

As I said a number of times I'm still open to holding onto him for one more year with the caveat that it might come back to bite us in the rear end. We might not get the same value after another year of this sort of goaltending. Then again the imagined Price might finally show up.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Read up, you're smarter than that.

Okay... Keep going with your childish act... Those are easy to say when you're a position of discomfort in an arguing process.
I haven't put anyone on ignore for about 3 years. You're now there, not because your opinion doesn't jive with mine, but because your contrarian/argumentative/bizarre posts just don't make any sense and aren't worth the time to read. As you get older patience with people that lack basic sense gets limited.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
IHWU

Quote:
Have you watched those games ?

There's literally no difference between the two goalies. Watch the defense around him. Much better team, much better scoring.
This. Plus, watching the Bruins/Leafs game last night Rask looked shaky at the end. Many times he was too deep in his net and could've gotten sniped had Toronto's shooters picked their spot/not gotten their shots blocked. Many of you accuse Carey of moving too much, but Rask especially in his lateral movements looked like an amateur goalie. His technique looks weird, yet I see you guys praising him here while you'd probably eat Price alive for the same thing

Old
05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
haburger

how is it that people just cant admit that carey price has been average this year?and saying stats dont tell the whole story??excuses are for losers.the dude just hasnt arrived yet,nothing wrong with that he's only 26.but his numbers this year are absolutely horrible.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If not stats then what? A fan's biased opinion.

Coupling Price's stats with the team's 4th overall placing in the league and you get a decent idea of what is going on.
What I get from that is that we're a way more offensive team than defensive. Teams like Ottawa who don't score many goals because they rely on a very tight defensive game will make goalies look amazing (especially the stats). The Habs don't have a tight defensive game. They rely on speed and offensive puck possession. Nothing in this helps with goalie stats. Ottawa clears the crease, Boston clears the crease, Habs do not. We don't have anybody big enough to do so (except Tinordi but he's still young).

Anyway, that's what I get from it. It's odd to have a team where the 5-6th D (Bouillon) is super small. Normally, your 5th and 6th D are your big bruiser defensement who can clear the crease because they can't do much else. Emelin can clear a crease, he was the only one during the season. Markov, Diaz, Gorges, Bouillon don't have the size or the strenght to do that job.

Anyway, this is only my opinion. Take it for what it is.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:23 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
how is it that people just cant admit that carey price has been average this year?and saying stats dont tell the whole story??excuses are for losers.the dude just hasnt arrived yet,nothing wrong with that he's only 26.but his numbers this year are absolutely horrible.
25 years old. just sayin'.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:40 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWU View Post
This. Plus, watching the Bruins/Leafs game last night Rask looked shaky at the end. Many times he was too deep in his net and could've gotten sniped had Toronto's shooters picked their spot/not gotten their shots blocked. Many of you accuse Carey of moving too much, but Rask especially in his lateral movements looked like an amateur goalie. His technique looks weird, yet I see you guys praising him here while you'd probably eat Price alive for the same thing
And was a beast in OT.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
otto bond

Not suprised he's hurt. In the season's exipetion, it was twick. Many time during the season, he would favors his left leg and also early in this serie. Getting run over time after time by his own teammate and other teams didn't help either.
One thing is for sure, next year the Habs must proctect him better from other team crashing the net. Take a penelty if needed even if it means putting a win at risk.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWU View Post
Rask was always in control and played a brilliant game end to end. That series is offensive and has put some serious pressure on the goalies.

If Price played like Rask there's a chance we would be clinching tonight not facing elimination.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
25 years old. just sayin'.
Quick and Rask both from the same draft year , providing leadership to their teams in the playoffs. Just sayin'.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Just like you, fans are entittle to their opinion. Without saying Price was great all year, he was far from horrible. Stat do tell 1/2 the story and has fan, we live for stats.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Rask was always in control and played a brilliant game end to end. That series is offensive and has put some serious pressure on the goalies.

If Price played like Rask there's a chance we would be clinching tonight not facing elimination.
If we had a defense like Boston, no dought in my mind we would be ahead with Price in net. Add also there forward depth here.
One thing IMO we could all agree is that Price could have been better but so does the team defense.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
If we had a defense like Boston, no dought in my mind we would be ahead with Price in net. Add also there forward depth here.
One thing IMO we could all agree is that Price could have been better but so does the team defense.
No doubt.

I have read a lot of Rask trashing on this board (whats up with that?) and quite frankly I am getting more and more impressed by his composure.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
jwolf

If we learn at some point during the Summer that Carey had been playing hurt for some time, that info might make sense out of the last bit of the season and the PO's, but there are more problems on this team than just the goalie and his health (for which there are other threads).

But getting back to Price: even if he has been healthy all along, I see no need to take an alarmist's stance and suggest we trade him (or eviscerate him, as the case might be) because he hasn't become consistently elite just yet. The progression arc is different with every goalie. Some excel early, others take a while longer to get to the promised land, but very few have won consistently without 1 or 2 big bodies in front them for protection.

I think we've all seen enough talent and desire in Carey to warrant some patience. Molson and Bergevin have just added a new coaching staff and a development department to deal with exactly these kinds of issues. Let them do their jobs.

Old
05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Easier said than done, obviously, otherwise everyone would have figured it out and exposed him by now. Those were dirty, perfect shots.

Old
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Perrah

Quote:
No doubt.

I have read a lot of Rask trashing on this board (whats up with that?) and quite frankly I am getting more and more impressed by his composure.
Composure? He goes borderline crazy some games. Yeah composure.

Closed Thread