HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

(3) Vancouver Canucks vs. (6) San Jose Sharks - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
So, say Niemi gave up three goals and made some key saves, while the team in front of him plays like total garbage, you would still play Greiss? The point still remains, the team in front of Luongo was total garbage (except for the shining beacons like Roy...what a speedster). That alone doesn't justify going to Schneider. It all smells too much like they're making a panic move.

But was goaltending even an issue last night?
Your analogy is backwards. I Greiss played and lost 3-1, even though he didn't play too poorly, would the Sharks play him again in game 2 of Niemi was good to go?

Issue or not, Schneider is the number 1. He is the guy we want in the net.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:24 PM
pappaf2

It is a shame for luongo, as a sharks fan I thought he was very solid and really kept his team in the game.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:25 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
So, say Niemi gave up three goals and made some key saves, while the team in front of him plays like total garbage, you would still play Greiss? The point still remains, the team in front of Luongo was total garbage (except for the shining beacons like Roy...what a speedster). That alone doesn't justify going to Schneider. It all smells too much like they're making a panic move.
t?
If Niemi was injured for game 1, and Greiss plays a solid game, still loses, but is not the reason for the loss then does Greiss start game 2?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
Your analogy is backwards. I Greiss played and lost 3-1, even though he didn't play too poorly, would the Sharks play him again in game 2 of Niemi was good to go?

Issue or not, Schneider is the number 1. He is the guy we want in the net.
Whoops, misread the guy's post. Honestly, if Greiss wasn't even the problem, I wouldn't mind playing him. If the team's the problem, I would need to rectify that first and foremost before any other problem.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Limekiller

I understand entirely why you'd switch to Schneider for game 2, if he's ready to go. I think most people agree that last night's loss was NOT Luongo's fault, but still, if your #1 is ready to go, you don't play your backup, even if he played well.

However, this has the potential to end up a real problem depending on how things work out. What happens if Schneider plays Game 2, and just doesn't play well? (whether lingering injury effects, or just has one of those bad games that everyone has occasionally.) What do the Canucks do then?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:30 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Whoops, misread the guy's post. Honestly, if Greiss wasn't even the problem, I wouldn't mind playing him. If the team's the problem, I would need to rectify that first and foremost before any other problem.
That's great. But every Canucks fan here is telling you that if Schneider is healthy, he is playing.

Just like last year. Luongo didn't play bad in the first 2 games against the Kings, but both were losses. Schneider came in game 3 to give him a chance to be "the" guy.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limekiller View Post
I understand entirely why you'd switch to Schneider for game 2, if he's ready to go. I think most people agree that last night's loss was NOT Luongo's fault, but still, if your #1 is ready to go, you don't play your backup, even if he played well.

However, this has the potential to end up a real problem depending on how things work out. What happens if Schneider plays Game 2, and just doesn't play well? (whether lingering injury effects, or just has one of those bad games that everyone has occasionally.) What do the Canucks do then?
Stick with Schneider until the end. Your not going to pull your #1 after ONE bad game unless he re-aggravates the injury. If he plays a second game and loses, well your down 3-0. No point in going back to the goalie that won't be a part of the team after that game anyways.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Arrch

Quote:
By all means, do what you can to fix the current problems, but you still have to make a decision on which goalie to play, and you don't hang the guy who got you there out to dry because the other guy "wasn't the problem"

Old
05-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Schneider is NOT on the ice for practice.

Sure seems like that that schneider injury is a lot more serious then originally expected.

Playoff time, but imo I think it's his groin.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

Griess and lou are not the same... One is a true number one goalie one is a true backup...

Old
05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxhead View Post
Agreed. Sedins were totally useless out there. They had so many chances to shoot it but double clutched it instead. Even Daniel, who used to be a shoot first guy, is converting to Henrik Sedin pass-first mentality. Brutal.
Neither are 'shoot first guys' - cycling and possession until there's an opening is their bread and butter.

Shutting down the Sedins, disrupting their cycling/taking away passing and shooting lanes and closing openings around the net was McLellan's strategy for winning against our top line and SJS did that very well. Defensive lapses at our end helped the Sharks along. Daniel had 3 shots, Henrik had 1. That's not a lot of opportunities.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Kevy D

Niemi and the defense in front of him are as good as, or better than the Chicago D that won the cup in 2010. I can see Vancouver's offense being completely shut down for a sweep of the series, and a deep playoff run for the Sharks.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
crunchyblack*
juice monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Don't see how the Canucks are overrated when the majority of analysts picked the Sharks to win, and most fans have been criticizing the Canucks play for awhile now.
Uhm what? Find me an "analyst" that picked the Sharks. Most said Van in 5-7. Even go look at the Part I and II threads before last nights game was played. Most took Van.

Now that they lost game 1 Van is all of the sudden the underdog? Give me a break.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
JuniorNelson

Switching goalies is pointless. Unless Schneider has a wicked shot he won't make any difference.

The Canucks may just need to get up to speed and remember what it takes to win a playoff contest. It might be that simple. Or, they may really be hopelessly outmatched. We'll see. I know it looks like the latter, but I think it might actually be the former. I know it sounds crazy, but it's like the Canucks are playing possum. They have better looks they can ice, but have not.

If it turns out that Schneider has been traded (and they lie about it) I will begin rioting immediately.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy D View Post
Niemi and the defense in front of him are as good as, or better than the Chicago D that won the cup in 2010. I can see Vancouver's offense being completely shut down for a sweep of the series, and a deep playoff run for the Sharks.
Whoa whoa, its been one game. Let's not proclaim victory or "great defense" just yet.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevy D View Post
I think the Sharks have a very underrated D core, and it is really strong, but I don't think it was as good as the 2010 Hawks

Keith Seabrook (Both Olympic quality)
Campbell Hjalmersson (another #1 guy and a solid top 4 guy)
Sopel Hendry

Keith and Seabrook were playing 30 + a night IIRC and the second pair logged big minutes as well. Sharks may have a deeper blue line, but I would argue that the 2010 Hawks had a better defence

Old
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
Uhm what? Find me an "analyst" that picked the Sharks. Most said Van in 5-7. Even go look at the Part I and II threads before last nights game was played. Most took Van.

Now that they lost game 1 Van is all of the sudden the underdog? Give me a break.
http://http://hfboards.hockeysfuture....php?t=1416579

Plenty of pros had the Sharks

Old
05-02-2013, 02:05 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post

Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Compiled the different NHL list's into one image.

Penguins 18/18 - Islanders 0/18
Canadiens 9/18 - Senators 9/18
Capitals 9/18 - Rangers 9/18
Bruins 15/18 - Leafs 3/18

Hawks 18/18 - Wild 0/18
Ducks 8/18 - Wings 10/18
Canucks 8/18 - Sharks 10/18
Blues 6/18 - Kings 12/18

Most one sided
Penguins +18
Hawks +18
Bruins +12
Kings +6
Wings +2
Sharks +2
Canadiens/Senators Even
Capitals/Rangers Even

Thought it was interested to clearly and concisely see what the paid professionals think is going to happen.

Sharks are favoured by experts, and considering they are one game up on the road, the advantage is definitely to the Sharks.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:10 PM
do0glas

lets not start calling our D corp good here, many said that was the advantage the canucks had over us. im actually surprised stuart/hannan didnt do worse...if refs start calling interference more though we are going to need to re-think things. but that pairing is adequate right now.

sedins did well holding the puck in our zone, but they, or your blue line will have to start playing more dynamic to create actual scoring chances.

this series is far from over. we were also held to very little scoring chances. we just converted ours.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
LPH

@VanCanucks: Roberto Luongo will start in net for the #Canucks in Game 2 Friday.

Schneids was not at practice today

Doesn't matter too much, goaltending is the least of our worries

Old
05-02-2013, 02:26 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Why would you play Schneider if Luongo wasn't even the problem?
Luongo only played because Schneider is/was hurt.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
If it turns out that Schneider has been traded (and they lie about it) I will begin rioting immediately.
Pretty sure the trade deadline has passed already.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Stu Walters ‏@StuWalters980 21s

#canucks Luongo confirms he starts in game 2

Called it.

IMO, my new theory is Schneider has a concussion. What other injuries can a person look fine for a few days then suddenly feel off.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:42 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
If Niemi was injured for game 1, and Greiss plays a solid game, still loses, but is not the reason for the loss then does Greiss start game 2?
Every Sharks game over the last 3 seasons--regular or playoff, win or loss, injury or even just atrocious play--indicates that the answer to that question is a resounding "NO!"

At least according to Todd McLellan....who is the only person whose opinion truly matters.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Stu Walters ‏@StuWalters980 21s

#canucks Luongo confirms he starts in game 2

Called it.

IMO, my new theory is Schneider has a concussion. What other injuries can a person look fine for a few days then suddenly feel off.
It could be a lingering muscle injury that re-aggravated

Closed Thread