HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will the real Jeff Petry please stand up

Old
03-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Will the real Jeff Petry please stand up

So who is the real Jeff Petry? Is he the guy that can go out there for 25 minutes and dominate all over the ice or is he the guy that is going to make 3-4 boneheaded plays a night? He has all the tools but he has never been consistent. He was like this last year as well. So what do you guys think about him? He is 25 but it's only his 2nd full season.

What is his upside?

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Petry spent ZERO time playing during the lockout.

I think this is a biiiiiiiiiig reason to his slow start.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Bodmanza
McChiaricholson

vCash: 50
Seems it takes him a month or so to get into his rhythm. He was terrible at the start of last year too, but came around.

I think in two years he will consistently be one of our top two.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 11:54 PM
topchowda

This is his second official season and he has had his ups and downs. He will be a solid top 4 guy I feel, but the ceiling is not much higher

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:02 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

He's probably somewhere in between the stud that we have seen over this last little stretch and the disaster that he was on the road trip. Hopefully, he's closer to the Petry of tonight, he certainly has the tools. He just seems like the type of defenseman who will always have ups and downs and be a great 2nd pairing guy, he seems to have too many mental lapses to be a consistent top pairing guy IMO, but it's great to see him turning it around lately.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:15 AM
jetsfan85*

LOVE PETRY i dunno how there is haters, guy is clearly coming into his own.

jetsfan85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:24 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Lets not forget - just like RNH - this is Petry's sophomore season. He's due for a sophomore slump and he didn't play anywhere during the lockout. He's a good player and he's going to get better.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:27 AM
Jesus

He had a brutal 15 game stretch or so, but I still believe. Some games he just looks beastly. Hopefully the consistency will come.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:33 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

He's a #2.5 defenseman IMO.

Someone capable of playing top-pairing minutes if put with a legit top-pairing defenseman, but not if he was playing with a clone of himself.

Would perform excellently in a 2nd pairing role.

Bieksa is another#2.5 defenseman - but no part of his style or approach to the game is similar to Petry IMO.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:47 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Jeff Petry played like a #1 d-man last night. I can't expect that out of him long-term yet. But if he can play out the season like that for us, it gives us a legit shot at the playoffs.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
So who is the real Jeff Petry? Is he the guy that can go out there for 25 minutes and dominate all over the ice or is he the guy that is going to make 3-4 boneheaded plays a night? He has all the tools but he has never been consistent. He was like this last year as well. So what do you guys think about him? He is only 25 AND it's only his 2nd full season.

What is his upside?
That to me is the answer right there.

Give him another full season or two and I think you'll see much more consistency.

Oil In My Veins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Anybody noticed since we picked up Fistric, Petry has added that hip check, albiet not as hard, to his repertoire? I don't remember him doing it much in the past but he now does it more and more..Perhaps he's learned the timing from Fist?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 09:57 AM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Anybody noticed since we picked up Fistric, Petry has added that hip check, albiet not as hard, to his repertoire? I don't remember him doing it much in the past but he now does it more and more..Perhaps he's learned the timing from Fist?
If Petry learned from Fistric then why did he make contact with the other player on his hip check rather than hitting the boards?

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:29 AM
MeestaDeteta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

This. He definitely has shown glimpses of being a dominant top pairing Dman, just needs to continue developing and gain consistency.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

He was the best play on the ice last night, I don't "expect" him to do that every night, but he has a very high level to his game, if people have patience he could be that #2 defenseman we're looking for.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 10:37 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He's a #2.5 defenseman IMO.

Someone capable of playing top-pairing minutes if put with a legit top-pairing defenseman, but not if he was playing with a clone of himself.

Would perform excellently in a 2nd pairing role.

Bieksa is another#2.5 defenseman - but no part of his style or approach to the game is similar to Petry IMO.
I don't agree with you often [if ever] but I actually agree with this notion.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:42 PM
YesYesYall

Petry is insanely gifted and has the hockey sense that we've all been waiting to see in a defenseman.

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Wheatking

I'm in the minority but I'm not in love with Petry. I see him being a very average 2nd pairing Dman on a playoff team in his prime. There have been many times this season where he's looked over his head and that's because he probably is. He's playing more minutes than he can handle.

He just needs to be more consistent. There are night where he looks like we could build around him but then there are others where he just looks so soft in front of the net that I can't imagine going against the Ducks or Sharks in the playoffs.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:51 AM
McClutchen
#Jultzing

I am a big fan of Petry, hopefully he fallows the trend of a Dman taking 2-4 years to start to develop to the NHL game, I think his decision making has gotten better, and he plays a lot bigger game now. Only issue I ever had with him was changing his number from 58 to 2. Just doesn’t seem right anymore. The kid is young, I think he has one of the biggest upsides on the team.

McClutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:58 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
both Petry and Whitney didnt play at all during the lock out and both looked really bad at the begining of the year. it isnt a surprise that as the 2 of them start playing like they have in the past the team is better. I havent even noticed alot of justin schultz lately but i have noticed Petry and Whitney, in the positive way.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:06 AM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Agreed. Didn't he get married and spent the time off traveling? It might not have just been lacking or practicing, but training as well.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Great One

If Petry can play like he has lately more consistently along with the potential of Schultz and Klefbom then I don't think we'll be hearing as many complaints about of defence as we have the past couple of seasons. Add to that the defensive skill of Smid and I think we could have a very solid D core for many years to come.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
oilers4life5

So are we just going to run every young player that has a tough stretch out of town? Man sometimes Oiler fan really embarrass me. Are u all in love with Eberle and Gagner again yet? Come on people give these kids some time.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 10:42 AM
McClutchen
#Jultzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
So are we just going to run every young player that has a tough stretch out of town? Man sometimes Oiler fan really embarrass me. Are u all in love with Eberle and Gagner again yet? Come on people give these kids some time.
What are you trying to say? Jeff Petry has 142 career games played, he should be at Norris trophy Caliber by now. I would say trade any player who hasn’t turned into a future hall of famer in under 200 games away for a bag of pucks.

Reading this forum, our team in the next year should have top to bottom 16-18 all stars on our team, or we should blow it up.

McClutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:38 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Just thought I'd bump this since he has 3 points in the last 3 games, still leads the team in minutes, is back to a positive +/- and after tonight's game, Jeff Petry now leads all NHL defensemen in takeaways, and is 11th in hits

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote