Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving forward: how do we improve?

Old
04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Resurrection

vCash: 50
Moving forward: how do we improve?

So with our season coming to an end much sooner than we all wanted, let's move on as best we can and talk about what we think could be done to improve our team. I'd like to try and avoid NHL 13 style trade scenarios. What is realistic and what could help our team out? Lets try and avoid mud slinging please and just come together as fans of a mutual love interest we share and talk like civilized people.

My ideas:

I'd like to see us take a risk on a free agent player on a short deal. We have lots of cap space and it'd be nice to get someone on board with good pedigree. That being said I'd hate to see a deal longer than 4 years. Barring that, I hope chevy can some how get Olli Jokinen off the team. I think Mark would be a better use of space and Jokinen is so bad at all ends of the nice I just dont see the value of bringing him back. Bring in a reclamation project at center if you have to.

I think Trouba should be given a fair share at our defense too, and there would be room in my scenario because we'd either trade Buff or Enstrom. I can't see scenario where we trade both, but I honestly would like to trade both. Since I said no NHL 13 scenarios Ill say for now, just trade one. Why Buff? His lack of conditioning and work ethic is a cancer that spreads through out our team; it simply cant continue. I love the man, I love how he chirped canuck fans, I think he's amazing and dynamite when he's on. But this team can't have a passenger at such an important spot. If he can't commit to being healthy and fit, he needs to go. Why Enstrom? He simply isn't playing enough and his frame wont get an easier ride in the west. Toby is a great d man and again another guy I want to see do well as a Jet and love him as a player. He simply is too fragile and seems to be another Salo. We can't afford to have an overweight player who plays when he feels motivated AND an injury riddled d man who misses more time than he plays. We need production!

So who do we have in place of one or both? Well with Hainsey gone to FA hopefully Kulda Postma and Trouba can fill the void. Clitsome needs to be extended to a new deal as I think he's earned a regular bottom 6 role.

On forward I don't see how Wellwood and Antro fit on this team any longer. They need to go, and we need to insert some youth in our system. More waiver claims will be needed her like Wright, until we can build up our system again. I don't think top end or top 2 line talent is our issue; we need more reliable bottom line production.

For goaltending I think we're stuck with Pavelec, and there's not much else in the way of options from within. I do think that the Jets should make a run at a guy like Emery though. Crawford is sticking as their #1 guy and if the Jets were willing to give Emery a chance at winning the starting job why not? I don't think it could cost a lot and if you motivate Ondrej to play better by lighting a fire under his ass, go for it. Montoya is a good backup, imo, and I think we need to commit to playing him more. If not what are we doing? Get another guy that's young that you do believe in then, and get him in net. We can't burn our starter out (who had terrible stats anyways) and never get a young guy in net to see what he has.

Just a few of my thoughts and ideas and ramblings after a sucky night in the NHL.

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:36 PM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

I was honestly just talking with my friends about an hour ago about how we will eventually need to ditch either Enstrom or Byfuglien and until Enstrom started constantly getting injured I thought it was a no-brainer.

However, I don't think we need to rush Trouba into the NHL unless he can handle it and even then I would think bottom-four minutes would likely be best?

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Waldo

vCash: 500
Secondary scoring is what we need. I'd like to dump Wellwood and Antro. They gave us some big games but mostly were mediocre or less. They are also too slow. I expect Chevy to offer them contracts but I'm against it. The Isles showed us what we want. Size and speed. I don't expect us to find that. Every team wants 3rd and 4th liners with size and speed that can chip in with some goals and can add some grit. I'm also afraid they will keep playing Joki as a centre on the 2nd line instead of giving Scheifele a legitimate chance.

It's tough to predict given the cap situation but Chevy needs to come up with some players and there should be players available. Can't fault Chevy for signing Poni and Joki but we can't afford any more failures. I don't want to see us sign some aging veterans. Joki had a 23 goal season before signing with us but at 35 suddenly has nothing left in the tank. He can't help Kane but is unsuited for a 3rd or 4th line role. He totally does not fit and the team would be better off without him. We'll have to make do with Wright, Tangradi, Santorelli, and players like that if need be.

I also would rather keep Redmond, Kulda, and Postma over resigning Hainsey. I think Trouba will be up with the big club sometime over next season. Scheifele and a right winger would transform our Jets but chemistry is hard to predict. I'm really looking forward to the off season and hopeful that Chevy can make the changes we need to make the playoffs. If we fail to make the playoffs next season the coaches and management should be held accountable, for both the Caps and the Jets.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:19 PM
pateramus

vCash: 450
I'd like to see:

Not 1 but 2 new high calibre line mates for Kane.

other then that, I'm happy with the team. I think that's all we really need to put us over the top. full training camp, and practices to get the D and everyone playing to the system. I think we can go far into the playoffs.

pateramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:36 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

I really do think Pavs has to go. Two seasons with no measurable change. 4 of his last 5 at 906. I think he's a sub 910 goalie to stay, and that's not something we can be satisfied with.

And Buff. Lynk hit the nail on the head when he said you can't have a #1 D who only shows up when he feels like it. We need a #1 D with the compete level of Ladd. Bogo can become that guy I think, and you move Buff for a top4 d and a 2nd line RW.

Those two things, I think, would move us from a 9th team to a 4 - 5 - 6 team, depending on the layout of the conference. Heck, just pavs for a league average tendy would move us to 7th, maybe 6th I'd bet.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

We're going to have a defense worth its salt next year most likely, I suggest we give Pavelec one more year.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Inflict
Viking

Better depth. No more AHLers or waiver pickups to plug holes. We need an active Free Agency plus a little help on the top 6 with a trade or two. Oh, and a veteran goaltender to challenge Pavelec for starts.

Last edited by Inflict: 04-26-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:05 AM
lanky

I think we just need to keep maturing. I don't think we'll benefit if we clear out vets to make way for rookies.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Aries56

I think the Jets are really close to making that next step. We're still a bit shallow on top-end talent though. Give Kane 2 talented line mates and we'll make the playoffs.

Our D is getting better and Bogo really had a break out year this year. A defense with Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Clitsome, Redmond and Trouba looks pretty good to me. These guys will continue to grow and get better too, I think Clitsome came a long way this season.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:55 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post
I think the Jets are really close to making that next step. We're still a bit shallow on top-end talent though. Give Kane 2 talented line mates and we'll make the playoffs.

Our D is getting better and Bogo really had a break out year this year. A defense with Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Clitsome, Redmond and Trouba looks pretty good to me. These guys will continue to grow and get better too, I think Clitsome came a long way this season.
Bogo's breakout year occurred last season, Bogo played really strong for the first 10-15 games he was back (he was our best D man) but his play tailed off through the rest of the season to the point he was running around in his own end.

Redmond's play tailed off badly to the point that he was taken out of the line-up before his injury (seems like most of you forgot about that), Postma is up and down, good offensively and Trouba is a huge unknown ( guy may need a year or two in the AHL)

Jets need to pick up a top 4 or number 5 NHL veteran NHL D man.

Pretty much have to keep Bogo, Buff and Enstrom at this point, Stu makes a good bottom pairing guy and Hainsey can go sooner than later.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

This. Its embarrassing he has no one to play with, so much wasted talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries56 View Post

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

vCash: 366
Jets should sign Briere when the flyers buy him out to centre Kane and Schiefele..... Both those guys have the hockey IQ to get Kane the puck and next year he will have 40 + goals ( P.S.I know schiefe is a centre)

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:18 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Fix the 2nd line!

When Olli was up there, they sucked defensively and sucked at puck possession.

A 2nd line that spends more time in the offensive zone will help with offense and take pressure of the D. If you can roll two line that out-shoot and outscore the opposition at the top of your roster, you are going to win more than you lose.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:18 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Sure I'd take Briere, but for cheap. There will be a number of FAs available when the inevitable cuts come to teams needing to meet a lower cap. Jets are in a good position to pick up quality players and good prices in the off-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANYOUNGBLOOD17 View Post
Jets should sign Briere when the flyers buy him out to centre Kane and Schiefele..... Both those guys have the hockey IQ to get Kane the puck and next year he will have 40 + goals ( P.S.I know schiefe is a centre)

Old
04-26-2013, 10:19 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

So can we summarize and simply state that Olli just sucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Fix the 2nd line!

When Olli was up there, they sucked defensively and sucked at puck possession.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:30 AM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Honestly, goaltending first. Then we can build from that out.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Shakey Rustie
3L

Two words: Marching Band

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Bogo's breakout year occurred last season, Bogo played really strong for the first 10-15 games he was back (he was our best D man) but his play tailed off through the rest of the season to the point he was running around in his own end.

Redmond's play tailed off badly to the point that he was taken out of the line-up before his injury (seems like most of you forgot about that), Postma is up and down, good offensively and Trouba is a huge unknown ( guy may need a year or two in the AHL)

Jets need to pick up a top 4 or number 5 NHL veteran NHL D man.

Pretty much have to keep Bogo, Buff and Enstrom at this point, Stu makes a good bottom pairing guy and Hainsey can go sooner than later.
I don't think Redmond is a top 4 guy, but I don't think he trailed off badly. We had a lot of guys going in and out of the lineup at the bottom (Redmond, Postma, Clitsome). Before Redmond was injured in Carolina, he had not played the game previous in Buffalo, but he had played the previous 5, and was playing over 19 minutes a game. I remember being more confident in him than I was with Postma.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Honestly, goaltending first. Then we can build from that out.
Would be nice. It won't happen though.

I'd love to see them add Khudobin and let him push Pav, but I just don't see it happening.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Would be nice. It won't happen though.

I'd love to see them add Khudobin and let him push Pav, but I just don't see it happening.
Failing that, I'd love to see them bring Tomas Griess in. Very intriguing goalie who has been underutilized in San Jose.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Huffer

Khudobin, Griess, and Rantaa sound like interesting options for a young up and coming goalie to push for starts.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:24 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Khudobin, Griess, and Rantaa sound like interesting options for a young up and coming goalie to push for starts.
Big question: Would a goalie like that consider Winnipeg given how little the backups have played.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:28 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Big question: Would a goalie like that consider Winnipeg given how little the backups have played.
That's one issue I have with the coaching staff. Playing Pavelec way too much. I guess Monty was injured quite a bit this year but I hope they give whoever is the backup more of an opportunity next season.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Valid point. Who knows? Would a young goalie like the ones mentioned look at the amount of games played by the backup over the last few years, or would he look at the quality of the starter in front of him? I'm thinking a combo of both.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Goaltending is number one for me. People can be dazzled by his moments of grandeur but the cold hard fact is, over the course of a season, Pavelec does not play well enough, consistently enough to help this team take the next step. I don't know how we fix this considering the albatross contract he signed last offseason.

Having said that, our defense needs to be better. I don't think Hainsey will be back (though I wish he would). Our issues on D right now have been injuries (hoping Enstrom can lick the bug and Bogo recovers from the concussion without relapse). Byfuglien has been kind of like Pavelec: spurts of brilliance surrounded by substandard play that costs us goals and games. He was absolutely BRUTAL in that 5 game stretch that pretty much sank us, and even through our winning streak outside of a few big hits or nice plays he did not drive us to wins, which is what an impact player like that should be doing. I'd trade him.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Stuart go. He's heart-and-soul but he just is not good enough in his own zone. He can't pass, or clear the puck, and for a physical gritty guy he is not tough enough on opposition players in front of the net. Guys like Redmond are more effective because they do something constructive with the puck when they get it. I also see Redmond continuing to improve based on all he accomplished last year.

Defense:

Keep Enstrom, Bogosian, Postma, Redmond

(Try to) resign Clitsome, Hainsey, Kulda

Trade Byfuglien, Stuart

Let Meech walk

Trouba minors

Depending on if we resign Hainsey or not we will need to sign 2 2nd pair defensemen.

Forwards:

Try to resign Antropov to a 2.5MM deal (year by year, or 4.5 for 2 years)

Try to unload Jokinen (ha)

Waive Thorburn

Resign Santorelli Peluso and Tangradi. Extend James Wright if he continues his play through December.

Let Miettenen and Wellwood walk.

Look for top 6 winger and centre

Since we are most likely stuck with Pavelec, find someone who has the potential to be a starter to use as backup and go 1A 1B.