HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread Part III - Squeezed Into The Top Ten

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
So the consensus is Skinkraruk over Domi?
I think me and CG are in the minority with Domi, but I flip flop depending on the week. Feel like Shinkaruk is the better immediate (2-3 year) fit but Domi might be the better player in the long term.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:22 AM
Harrison Ford
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think me and CG are in the minority with Domi, but I flip flop depending on the week. Feel like Shinkaruk is the better immediate (2-3 year) fit but Domi might be the better player in the long term.
I'm with you on Domi. Domi for me, but I won't be pissed with Hunter.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Brodeur

Highly Inaccurate Mock Draft Version 2.0: The 'Sleeping Medication Is Starting To Kick In" Edition:

For funsies, let's say Chicago beats Pittsburgh in the Finals with LA/BOS losing in the Conference Finals.

1. Colorado - D Seth Jones - Ties to Denver are a bonus.

2. Florida - C Nathan MacKinnon - Toss up between him and Drouin.

3. Tampa Bay - LW Jonathan Drouin - Pretty unfair if they ever get their backend sorted out.

4. Nashville - C Aleksander Barkov - Possible #1 center down the road.

5. Carolina - C/RW Elias Lindholm - Carolina's GM dislikes drafting D with top picks. Lindholm could slide in at wing eventually, or take the #2C spot and let the Staals play together.

6. Calgary - C Sean Monahan - Tried to use this pick for Ryan O'Reilly. Monahan
seems a perfect fit.

TRADE: Edmonton trades #7 to Philadelphia for #11 and #41

7. Philadelphia - D Darnell Nurse - Poor man's Seth Jones, but some question marks about hockey sense. Coincidentally Donovan McNabb's nephew, although I'm not sure if that would necessarily play well in the press.

8. Buffalo - LW Valeri Nichushkin - Sabres have another first rounder, so they could afford to gamble on Nichushkin.

TRADE: New Jersey trades #9 to Phoenix for #12 and #42

9. Phoenix - C Max Domi - Coyotes seem to love drafting sons of former NHLers.

10. Dallas - D Rasmus Ristolainen - Workhorse RH defenseman would fit their needs really well. Hunter Shinkaruk did grow up a Stars fan, but he doesn't really fill a big need.

11. Edmonton - D Nikita Zadorov - Big, nasty defender.

12. New Jersey - LW Hunter Shinkaruk - Always a gamble to trade down. High octane winger would obviously be a nice fit.

13. Winnipeg - C/W Bo Horvat - Domi has more sizzle but London benefited from Horvat's grittiness as a complement.

14. Columbus - C Alexander Wennberg - The Jackets have more or less declared they're going offense with their top picks. They'd probably love to trade up for a Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan. Wennberg has decent upside and can play all three forward spots.

15. NY Islanders - D Ryan Pulock - Had them taking Fucale, but figured they could trade for somebody like Jonathan Bernier who could help now. Pulock would fit a need as a RH PP QB, something akin to Justin Faulk.

16. Buffalo (via Minnesota) - D Josh Morrissey - Sabres haven't quite been the same without Brian Campbell and Morrissey's scouting report reminds me of Campbell.

17. Ottawa - LW Andre Burakowsky - Tons of depth everywhere, but could use a high upside LW.

18. Detroit - LW Kerby Rychel - Wings reportedly wanted Tyer Biggs in 2011. Rychel would be a gritty winger to mix in with their finesse forwards.

19. Columbus (via NY Rangers) - RW Valentin Zykov - Productive Russian winger has been moving up the charts.

TRADE: San Jose trades #20 to Montreal for #25 and #55

20. Montreal - LW Anthony Mantha - Canadiens have a bunch of picks, so they can afford to move up. Not many can match Mantha's goal scoring this year, but some wrory about his drive. Ie, worst case would be an unmotivated Dustin Penner.

21. Toronto - C Curtis Lazar - Gritty centerman with some offensive upside.

22. Calgary (via St. Louis) - LW Morgan Klimchuk - Calgary native is undersized but productive.

23. Washington - C Frederik Gauthier - Would add size down the middle.

TRADE: Vancouver trades #24 to New Jersey for #39 and #42

24. New Jersey - G Zach Fucale - .....Canucks could use the extra pick and the Devils land the near consensus top goalie prospect.

25. San Jose - RW Ryan Hartman - Heart and soul winger.

26. Anaheim - LW Adam Erne - Long term replacement for Bobby Ryan

27. Columbus (via Los Angeles) - C J.T. Compher - Mini-Ryan Kesler.

28. Dallas (via Boston) - LW Jason Dickinson - Still needs to fill out.

29. Calgary (via Pittsburgh) - D Samuel Morin - Hulking D has had a meteoric rise over the last month.

TRADE: Chicago trades #30 to Carolina for #35 and #66

30. Carolina - D Steve Santini - Big shutdown defender, would complement Faulk/Murray.

Comparable trades:

2005: Atlanta trades #8 to San Jose for #12 and #49
2007: St. Louis trades #9 to San Jose for #13, #44, #87
2008: NY Islanders trade #7 to Nashville for #9 and #40

2001: New Jersey trades #24 to Florida for #44 and #48
2003: Tampa Bay trades #25 to Florida for #34, #41, and #192
2011: Detroit trades #24 to Ottawa for #35 and #48

Old
05-14-2013, 04:55 AM
Devil X

Send a message via AIM to Devil X
Quote:
Highly Inaccurate Mock Draft Version 2.0: The 'Sleeping Medication Is Starting To Kick In" Edition:

For funsies, let's say Chicago beats Pittsburgh in the Finals with LA/BOS losing in the Conference Finals.

1. Colorado - D Seth Jones - Ties to Denver are a bonus.

2. Florida - C Nathan MacKinnon - Toss up between him and Drouin.

3. Tampa Bay - LW Jonathan Drouin - Pretty unfair if they ever get their backend sorted out.

4. Nashville - C Aleksander Barkov - Possible #1 center down the road.

5. Carolina - C/RW Elias Lindholm - Carolina's GM dislikes drafting D with top picks. Lindholm could slide in at wing eventually, or take the #2C spot and let the Staals play together.

6. Calgary - C Sean Monahan - Tried to use this pick for Ryan O'Reilly. Monahan
seems a perfect fit.

TRADE: Edmonton trades #7 to Philadelphia for #11 and #41

7. Philadelphia - D Darnell Nurse - Poor man's Seth Jones, but some question marks about hockey sense. Coincidentally Donovan McNabb's nephew, although I'm not sure if that would necessarily play well in the press.

8. Buffalo - LW Valeri Nichushkin - Sabres have another first rounder, so they could afford to gamble on Nichushkin.

TRADE: New Jersey trades #9 to Phoenix for #12 and #42

9. Phoenix - C Max Domi - Coyotes seem to love drafting sons of former NHLers.

10. Dallas - D Rasmus Ristolainen - Workhorse RH defenseman would fit their needs really well. Hunter Shinkaruk did grow up a Stars fan, but he doesn't really fill a big need.

11. Edmonton - D Nikita Zadorov - Big, nasty defender.

12. New Jersey - LW Hunter Shinkaruk - Always a gamble to trade down. High octane winger would obviously be a nice fit.

13. Winnipeg - C/W Bo Horvat - Domi has more sizzle but London benefited from Horvat's grittiness as a complement.

14. Columbus - C Alexander Wennberg - The Jackets have more or less declared they're going offense with their top picks. They'd probably love to trade up for a Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan. Wennberg has decent upside and can play all three forward spots.

15. NY Islanders - D Ryan Pulock - Had them taking Fucale, but figured they could trade for somebody like Jonathan Bernier who could help now. Pulock would fit a need as a RH PP QB, something akin to Justin Faulk.

16. Buffalo (via Minnesota) - D Josh Morrissey - Sabres haven't quite been the same without Brian Campbell and Morrissey's scouting report reminds me of Campbell.

17. Ottawa - LW Andre Burakowsky - Tons of depth everywhere, but could use a high upside LW.

18. Detroit - LW Kerby Rychel - Wings reportedly wanted Tyer Biggs in 2011. Rychel would be a gritty winger to mix in with their finesse forwards.

19. Columbus (via NY Rangers) - RW Valentin Zykov - Productive Russian winger has been moving up the charts.

TRADE: San Jose trades #20 to Montreal for #25 and #55

20. Montreal - LW Anthony Mantha - Canadiens have a bunch of picks, so they can afford to move up. Not many can match Mantha's goal scoring this year, but some wrory about his drive. Ie, worst case would be an unmotivated Dustin Penner.

21. Toronto - C Curtis Lazar - Gritty centerman with some offensive upside.

22. Calgary (via St. Louis) - LW Morgan Klimchuk - Calgary native is undersized but productive.

23. Washington - C Frederik Gauthier - Would add size down the middle.

TRADE: Vancouver trades #24 to New Jersey for #39 and #42

24. New Jersey - G Zach Fucale - .....Canucks could use the extra pick and the Devils land the near consensus top goalie prospect.

25. San Jose - RW Ryan Hartman - Heart and soul winger.

26. Anaheim - LW Adam Erne - Long term replacement for Bobby Ryan

27. Columbus (via Los Angeles) - C J.T. Compher - Mini-Ryan Kesler.

28. Dallas (via Boston) - LW Jason Dickinson - Still needs to fill out.

29. Calgary (via Pittsburgh) - D Samuel Morin - Hulking D has had a meteoric rise over the last month.

TRADE: Chicago trades #30 to Carolina for #35 and #66

30. Carolina - D Steve Santini - Big shutdown defender, would complement Faulk/Murray.

Comparable trades:

2005: Atlanta trades #8 to San Jose for #12 and #49
2007: St. Louis trades #9 to San Jose for #13, #44, #87
2008: NY Islanders trade #7 to Nashville for #9 and #40

2001: New Jersey trades #24 to Florida for #44 and #48
2003: Tampa Bay trades #25 to Florida for #34, #41, and #192
2011: Detroit trades #24 to Ottawa for #35 and #48
I like the idea but i dont think i would want to trade back into the first round to get a goalie. Id rather keep the pick add 2 more forwards or let some Dman slip to us at 39 that shouldnt like Merrill and Severson in years past.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:35 AM
CerebralGenesis

Good mock. Appreciate the analysis.

I was about to do one of my mocks too but I never feel comfortable projecting in trades cause that is another element that is hard to predict.

Leaving with Fucale and one of the top forwards would be a tremendous haul and quite possible if Lou had that option. I don't know what the ramifications from this season will entail yet until the playoffs end.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:02 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

If we can leave the draft with Shinkaruk AND Fucale in the 1st round... That would be ****ing golden right there.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

If we trade down and pick up Fucale with our 2nd pick, I`ll be pissed.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil X View Post
I like the idea but i dont think i would want to trade back into the first round to get a goalie. Id rather keep the pick add 2 more forwards or let some Dman slip to us at 39 that shouldnt like Merrill and Severson in years past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Trading back up was a late night audible which I'll blame on the sleeping medication

Originally had us keeping #39 and #42. Seems like a good chance that a D or two (Bigras/Mueller/Hagg/Theodore/McCoshen) would be the ones who slip a little bit. Alternatively, we could go forward (Buchnevich/Carrier/Nastasiuk/Hurley) and a goalie (Comrie/Desrosiers).

Old
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Trading back up was a late night audible which I'll blame on the sleeping medication

Originally had us keeping #39 and #42. Seems like a good chance that a D or two (Bigras/Mueller/Hagg/Theodore/McCoshen) would be the ones who slip a little bit. Alternatively, we could go forward (Buchnevich/Carrier/Nastasiuk/Hurley) and a goalie (Comrie/Desrosiers).
If I`m Conte and our horses are gone/we want Horvat, I`m looking at my options, trading down and taking three forwards in the first two rounds (Horvat/Domi, Bjorkstrand/Petan/Carrier/Daňo, whichever good winger is available/BPA D like Severson). Then whatever. But that`s me.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:32 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:

[Wall of text]
This is excellent, the only thing I'm not sure of is Vancouver wanting to trade down. With a Canuck rebuild/implosion on the horizon, I'm not sure they pass on a 1st round pick. And to be quite honest I would almost prefer two early 2nds to one late 1st. Fucale is a great prospect but there will surely be falling 1st round talent we can scoop up at #39 and #42.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

If we`re seriously analyzing your mock, then, well, I wouldn`t bet on PHX taking Domi or EDM accepting a trade with PHI knowing they probably won`t get a chance to pick Nurse or Ristolainen.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
You need a goalie at some point. Where do you see that coming from? I know it's way too early but Wedgewood has been mediocre, so he can't be relied on as the only option.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
You need a goalie at some point. Where do you see that coming from? I know it's way too early but Wedgewood has been mediocre, so he can't be relied on as the only option.
I`ve made myself clear. I wouldn`t take a goalie in the first two rounds. If so, I`d take Jarry with our 3rd pick if we traded down and got an additional 2nd rounder. Otherwise, try to find someone like Brossoit in the later rounds. It`s totally possible. Or sign an UFA like Niederberger.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Nick0930

Obviously Domi is the way to go. Good old Ontario boys win Cups.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
If we`re seriously analyzing your mock, then, well, I wouldn`t bet on PHX taking Domi or EDM accepting a trade with PHI knowing they probably won`t get a chance to pick Nurse or Ristolainen.
I was assuming Phoenix is going to want a forward with their top pick. As it stands, they might get whichever of Domi/Shinkaruk that we don't end up picking at #9.

Edmonton trading down might be a bigger stretch than I thought last night. They would be gambling that at least one of Ristolainen/Zadorov is available at #11. Although The Pipeline Show (Edmonton based radio) mentioned that they wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers took Curtis Lazar even if he doesn't fit an immediate need.

Their relationship with their WHL squad is a bit of a variable. They mentioned that they gave serious consideration in trading out of #1 last year to take Griffin Reinhart. Then they seemingly reached for Oil King forward Mitch Moroz at #32.

So they could trade down 4 spots and reasonably expect one of the D or Lazar to be there. Naturally they could be perfectly content with Nurse at #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
This is excellent, the only thing I'm not sure of is Vancouver wanting to trade down. With a Canuck rebuild/implosion on the horizon, I'm not sure they pass on a 1st round pick. And to be quite honest I would almost prefer two early 2nds to one late 1st. Fucale is a great prospect but there will surely be falling 1st round talent we can scoop up at #39 and #42.
Yeah, the trade up with Vancouver was a 'new' idea that popped in my head. Originally I had us taking another forward and a goalie prospect (Eric Comrie). Vancouver doesn't have a 2nd round pick, so they might be interested in getting the extra pick.

It was probably just the medication, but I kinda enjoyed imagining the scenario of Bettman announcing "Vancouver has traded this pick to.........the New Jersey Devils (insert crowd reaction here)."

Old
05-14-2013, 01:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

Crowd would love it. But the whole draft is that day so they can sit still for awhile anyway.

I keep thinking about post round 1, but I don't even know who I want us to take at 9 so that usually has me brooding before I get to the 10th pick.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
I was assuming Phoenix is going to want a forward with their top pick. As it stands, they might get whichever of Domi/Shinkaruk that we don't end up picking at #9.

Edmonton trading down might be a bigger stretch than I thought last night. They would be gambling that at least one of Ristolainen/Zadorov is available at #11. Although The Pipeline Show (Edmonton based radio) mentioned that they wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers took Curtis Lazar even if he doesn't fit an immediate need.

Their relationship with their WHL squad is a bit of a variable. They mentioned that they gave serious consideration in trading out of #1 last year to take Griffin Reinhart. Then they seemingly reached for Oil King forward Mitch Moroz at #32.

So they could trade down 4 spots and reasonably expect one of the D or Lazar to be there. Naturally they could be perfectly content with Nurse at #7.

Yeah, the trade up with Vancouver was a 'new' idea that popped in my head. Originally I had us taking another forward and a goalie prospect (Eric Comrie). Vancouver doesn't have a 2nd round pick, so they might be interested in getting the extra pick.

It was probably just the medication, but I kinda enjoyed imagining the scenario of Bettman announcing "Vancouver has traded this pick to.........the New Jersey Devils (insert crowd reaction here)."
I mean, I wouldn't be upset if your scenario played out. It would be pretty awesome actually. But personally I would rather just keep the picks.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:

Forgot to mention Gernat.

But that`s OK and good point, they really could go that way although passing up on those Dman AGAIN, that just seems hilarious to me. Lazar is better than Lander, but still. Btw. I don`t think that Moroz was a good reach.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:31 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Fucale will open up some eyes at the memorial cup, I can almost garantee it.

The kid isn't getting any hype cause of that myth of "do not draft goaltenders in the top #60" but when you have a stud netminder like him, it would be a wise move on our part to try and add a late 1st.

When looking at the assets we have in our pipeline cause there's nothing real special on the horizon when taking about our goaltending situation and adding a bluechip prospect like Fucale would be the best possible scenario IMO if we can somehow acquire a late 1st rounder.

Old
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
The kid isn't getting any hype cause of that myth of "do not draft goaltenders in the top #60" but when you have a stud netminder like him, it would be a wise move on our part to try and add a late 1st.
Is it a myth or something that is historically fairly accurate? I think every team who took a goalie in the first round thought they were drafting a stud and a bunch were wrong.

Certainly some first round goalie become studs, the "myth" is just that the bust factor is much higher than taking a skater and you can get luckier in the late rounds with a goalie much more than a skater. So you help your team more by limiting your bust potential and boosting your luck potential by ignoring goalies early and taking goalies later.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:57 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
Is it a myth or something that is historically fairly accurate? I think every team who took a goalie in the first round thought they were drafting a stud and a bunch were wrong.

Certainly some first round goalie become studs, the "myth" is just that the bust factor is much higher than taking a skater and you can get luckier in the late rounds with a goalie much more than a skater. So you help your team more by limiting your bust potential and boosting your luck potential by ignoring goalies early and taking goalies later.
Drafting isn't a accurate science and I can come up with several 1st round picks that we made over the past couple of years that didn't live up to expectations.

The reason people are "scared" to draft goalies in the top #60 is that there's two or three netminders that will get picked, so it's easier to target them as "busts" since there's a select fiew that get picked in the first 2 rounds, unlike forwards or blueliners.

Forward, d-man or goaltender, there's not one scout that can be 200% certain that the player they're picking will live up to the hype... outside of generational talent like Crosby, Ovy, Stamkos, etc.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Prediction: Isles are going to take Fucale with wherever they pick in the first round. And Snow's going to trade down to do it.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:12 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Prediction: Isles are going to take Fucale with wherever they pick in the first round. And Snow's going to trade down to do it.
Whoever is picking Fucale will be getting a future #1 netminder. He's exactly what you want in your netminder... cool, calm, isn't a "headcase" like most goaltenders usually are and the kid has great technique with exceptional athleticism.

I see him going between pick #15 and #22

Old
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
SteveCangialosi123

I'd take Domi. The grit and skill combo is rare and I could see him being a Marchand 2.0 type player.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I'd take Domi. The grit and skill combo is rare and I could see him being a Marchand 2.0 type player.
Honestly, it's pretty much a toss up between Shinkaruk and Domi, if no one were to fall from the top #8.

Domi has wayyyyyy more offensive skills then Marchand, that's for sure. We got our Marchand type player last year with Stefan Matteau IMO. Someone who can compliment our star players but doesn't have the offensive tools to be a legit threat night after night.

I don't know if it's a fair comparision but Domi kind of reminds me a little of Theo Fleury in his glory days in Calgary. A small forward who isn't scared of going in dirty areas and has solid offensive skills to be a top line forward.

Closed Thread