HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Amnesty buyouts

Old
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I actually think Hunwick could be traded if they really wanted to.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:28 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Zanon, O'Brien and Jones.
And I would be so happy.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:39 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
Zanon, O'Brien and Jones.
And I would be so happy.
You only have two.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:56 AM
Drury_Sakic

There is little point to buying anyone out this summer unless the Avs get a legit upgrade via UFA or a trade that simply makes a roster spot needed.

Zanon and Hunwick are serviceable in terms of not forcing you to rush along defensive prospects and in the case of injuries, plus both come off the cap next summer anyways. An added bonus for both is that they are lefty D men, which the Avs do not exactly have a ton of. Both also seem like character guys who will do well in the 6-7-8 D man job without too much guff. Both could also probably be traded without much effort over the summer or at the very least at the deadline next year to a team looking for depth.

You have to hope that Jones recovers. If he can get back to that 20-25 goal range he will be close to worth his contract. You do not want to push the panic button and give up on a player after a half of season without hockey. Jones will also get the benefit of a new coach to perhaps spark him. If not, you buy him out next summer.

O'Brien is the hard one for this coming season. Avs probably keep him around simply because he is a lefty shot and there is some upside. Much like Jones, I don't know if it is 100% fair to judge a guy in a lockout season. Unlike Jones, if you don't buy him out this summer, I doubt you do it the next either, as you can let his last year slide under the rug as a depth NHLer or minor leaguer. ( Jones would still have 2 years rather than O'Brien's 1 )

So, long story short, unless the Avs go big on a player or two this summer, sign all the RFA's and 1 year out players to their new deals early, or really dislike a guy and they cant trade him, a buyout this summer is super unlikely and probably won't happen the next summer either.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
There is little point to buying anyone out this summer unless the Avs get a legit upgrade via UFA or a trade that simply makes a roster spot needed.
Exactly this. There's no pressing need to buy out a contract this summer unless there's a bottleneck situation with the roster and a lack of alternatives. The first is unlikely, unfortunately, and the second is unknown.

Not to mention there isn't really an obvious target for a buyout. None of the Dmen we rag on are breaking the bank and can all probably be traded. Not for much, but it beats a buyout. And, as many others have mentioned, it is too soon to give up on Jones. I have my own doubts about him going forward, but you can't part with the guy one lock-out damaged season after giving him that contract and all the expectations that includes. Give him a shot to redeem himself. If he follows up this season's disappearing act with another one, then you start thinking about your options. But not now.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:13 AM
chet1926

If the Avs had a brain functioning it would be Jones and Zanon.

Jones will never live up to a 4M contract he just doesn't have the skills. He isn't fast anymore, hes not physical, and he is a defensive liability. Should never have been given that contract last summer, now its time to make up for that mistake. The only way Jones ever gets back to the 20-25 goal plateau is if he goes to a team like Pittsburgh and gets to play with Crosby or Malkin, someone who can do all the work for him.

And Zanon I don't really need to explain, just a bad signing. If Jones is drafted this should be a no-brainer.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
I don't think we will use our amnesty buyouts.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:29 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
The only way Jones ever gets back to the 20-25 goal plateau is if he goes to a team like Pittsburgh and gets to play with Crosby or Malkin, someone who can do all the work for him.
The only way? Considering he scored 20 goals in 72 games just a year ago, I'm thinking that's not the only way he can bounce back to being a 20-25 goal scorer.

The Avs should start telling him to plant himself in front of the net on the PP, just like Hornqvist. That's how he can score goals.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
The only way? Considering he scored 20 goals in 72 games just a year ago, I'm thinking that's not the only way he can bounce back to being a 20-25 goal scorer.

The Avs should start telling him to plant himself in front of the net on the PP, just like Hornqvist. That's how he can score goals.
Yeah the only way. Have you not watched him play recently? He is shell of what he used to bring.

And no he would not be a good in front of the net guy, like Hornqvist because he isn't physical and just gets pushed around even though he is a big guy.

I just don't see him being a factor at the NHL level anymore. He is going to have to pull a Duchene this offseason to even have a chance at being a factor but for some reason I don't see him having the same drive that Duchene has. Jones seems pretty content at the moment.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I don't think we will use our amnesty buyouts.
This. They will give new chance for O'Brien and Jones. Hunwick/Zanon are not worth buying out, not that big of a deal. Just let them eat popcorn or send to AHL whatever.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:39 PM
dahrougem2

If we don't buy out two defenseman than we must send them down to the AHL. Starting next season with

Jones-Johnson
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott
O'Brien/Hunwick/Zanon

There's no room for those last three defenseman, unless the Avs decide to start Elliott in Lake Erie to play with Siemens and help him get used to the pro game a bit quicker. My personal choice, if no amnesty is used, I'd hope they send both Hunwick and Zanon down to the AHL. I really believe that O'Brien can still provide more to this team than they can

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:46 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
if David Jones at $4 million a year is the worst contract on your roster, using an amnesty buyout is not a high priority

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:46 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
if David Jones at $4 million a year is the worst contract on your roster, using an amnesty buyout is not a high priority
Your statement makes no sense. The purpose of the amnesty buyouts for teams is basically a way for management to say whoops we made a huge mistake on that contract, so we are taking back our mistake.

Your statement clearly says the Jones has the worst contract on the team, so wouldn't the whole point be to rid yourself of your worst contract? I understand what you are saying in your statement, saying we are so young and the contract isn't hampering moves so give him another shot. But the point is to rid yourself of the mistake you made. And that is what the Avs need to do. Jones needs to be bought out. So we can use his 4M in cap space more appropriately now or in the future.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Your statement makes no sense. The purpose of the amnesty buyouts for teams is basically a way for management to say whoops we made a huge mistake on that contract, so we are taking back our mistake.

Your statement clearly says the Jones has the worst contract on the team, so wouldn't the whole point be to rid yourself of your worst contract? I understand what you are saying in your statement, saying we are so young and the contract isn't hampering moves so give him another shot. But the point is to rid yourself of the mistake you made. And that is what the Avs need to do. Jones needs to be bought out. So we can use his 4M in cap space more appropriately now or in the future.
Avs aren't a team that bathes in money. They aren't Rangers, Flyers or Leafs that can erase mistakes by throwing money at them.

Jones has three years and $12M left on his deal. It would cost Avs $8M to buy out his contract.

Realistically, there is a decent chance Jones bounce back and be a semi-useful player. He's never going to be worth $4M/year but let's say he can be a $2.5M/year player in value.

Keeping him basically wastes $1.5M/year and buying him out costs $2.66M/year + whatever a replacement winger costs.

If Jones completely bombs next year, then buying out Jones for $5.3M the summer after becomes a possibility because then you have reason to suspect the last two years of the deal not working out for anyone.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Jones is the only guy who might need an amnesty buyout to move. But I don't see them going that route.

Hunwick IMO is still moveable, it'll just be for a low pick or worthless prospect.

Zanon just seems like too inexpensive and insubstantial a player to do that with. Just waive him, send him down, enjoy the $900K in cap relief, let him have fun in Cleveland for a year, and cut him loose. Better to just stomach the contract rather than stretch the payments out another year. Hell, maybe someone will take the contract off our hands via waivers! Probably not though.

Players I do see possibly getting an amnesty buyout: Lecavalier, Malone, Bryzgalov, Leino, Wisniewski, Luongo, DiPietro, and maybe even Hossa if the Hawks find themselves in another cap crunch.
There is no more burying contracts, we don't get any cap relief by sending him down. The only thing we get is a roster spot opened, which isn't a bad idea IMO. They have to pay him for next year anyways. Why not drop him through waivers and see if someone picks him up.

Zannon is the one guy I want to see bought out for sure. Jones should probably be given another season (But definitely bought out if he does not improve), and Hunwick played well enough to be moved in a trade if need be. Same thing with O'Brien, I believe he could be traded as well.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:23 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs aren't a team that bathes in money. They aren't Rangers, Flyers or Leafs that can erase mistakes by throwing money at them.

Jones has three years and $12M left on his deal. It would cost Avs $8M to buy out his contract.

Realistically, there is a decent chance Jones bounce back and be a semi-useful player. He's never going to be worth $4M/year but let's say he can be a $2.5M/year player in value.

Keeping him basically wastes $1.5M/year and buying him out costs $2.66M/year + whatever a replacement winger costs.

If Jones completely bombs next year, then buying out Jones for $5.3M the summer after becomes a possibility because then you have reason to suspect the last two years of the deal not working out for anyone.
Yup. Makes much more sense to buy out Jones next summer and not this one.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
They need to try to trade one of their crap defenders (SOB, Zanon) for something, and if they can't buy one of them out. Simply too many one-way contracts on D

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
I feel like Jones can still be a 30 goal scorer if he was as committed as Duchene was last off season.

I hope he brings it next season.
He's never played a full season, and he's only scored 30 goals once... in 2004 in the BCHL. Moving forward, he'll be lucky to be a 30 point scorer in the NHL. I don't see anything there to salvage, Avs need to get rid of him as a priority.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
There is no more burying contracts, we don't get any cap relief by sending him down. The only thing we get is a roster spot opened, which isn't a bad idea IMO. They have to pay him for next year anyways. Why not drop him through waivers and see if someone picks him up.

Zannon is the one guy I want to see bought out for sure. Jones should probably be given another season (But definitely bought out if he does not improve), and Hunwick played well enough to be moved in a trade if need be. Same thing with O'Brien, I believe he could be traded as well.
Really? I thought it was 900k relief as well.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
They need to try to trade one of their crap defenders (SOB, Zanon) for something, and if they can't buy one of them out. Simply too many one-way contracts on D
That's true. I would like to see more Barrie in NHL, not in AHL. In this team he doesn't belong to AHL, that's just fact. Elliott is still VERY raw. He has great talent, but at this point he will be just call-up next season from AHL.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
If we don't buy out two defenseman than we must send them down to the AHL. Starting next season with

Jones-Johnson
Wilson-Barrie
Hejda-Elliott
O'Brien/Hunwick/Zanon

There's no room for those last three defenseman, unless the Avs decide to start Elliott in Lake Erie to play with Siemens and help him get used to the pro game a bit quicker. My personal choice, if no amnesty is used, I'd hope they send both Hunwick and Zanon down to the AHL. I really believe that O'Brien can still provide more to this team than they can
There certainly is room for one of those three defensemen. You can hardly peg Wilson to play more than half of a season at best these days.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:53 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Really? I thought it was 900k relief as well.
It changed in the new CBA, I'm pretty sure. Unless when the final details came out they did something like that. Do you have a source where you seen that?

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
It changed in the new CBA, I'm pretty sure. Unless when the final details came out they did something like that. Do you have a source where you seen that?
I have no source, but I thought it was something like that, too.

05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Look under the buried contacts part:

http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/

900k in relief can be had.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote