HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Custom Skates

Old
05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Hawks82

vCash: 500
Bauer Custom Skates

I've been skating for a few weeks on a pair of Bauer Vapor X40's that were way too narrow for my foot. I haven't been able to skate for much longer than 5-10 minutes before getting hit with excruciating pain in my feet. Luckily my LHS had a pair of X4.0's with a wide fit and are offering me a straight up trade and the opportunity to test the 4.0's over the weekend.

I wore them around my house for a bit last night and took the footbeds out, but noticed that my foot is still slightly too wide.

I'm not sure if my LHS does any punching or power stretching and I might end up having to get into some CCM U+'s (which I'm cool with) but I like the Vapor's and was wondering if anyone has any info about getting a custom pair? I read a couple of threads the on various sites, but they were from a few years ago, and I haven't found anything recent.

-Thanks

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I did the same thing, went from Vapors that were too narrow to Vapors in wide, then had them stretched/punched out up front. It completely took care of any pain.

Before you do that though, make sure the heel and ankle is locked. The #1 thing IMO you want is a good heel lock, then make sure the skate fits up front. If it's too narrow, you can get it punched or stretched. But if it's too wide in the heel/ankle area, you can't make them smaller.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:01 AM
AIREAYE

Did you bake your skates?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:02 PM
MeltingPlastic

Not sure where you're located but any Bauer retailer can help you with this.

I currently skate in a pair of custom Flexlite 4.0 Pro's. I broke my fibula and ankle and after surgery, my feat are two different sizes. Here is what I had done:

Left (broken foot)
10EEEE boot
double stitched
added material in the eyelet area
increased stiffness
old supreme felt tongue
rise on the inside of the holder
increased protection on the sides of the boot

Right Side (normal foot)
10EE
Old Supreme felt tongue
double stitched
increased stiffness

I'm pretty sure we customized a few other things but they were minute stuff that we just added in.

They cost me $750 at the time, it was $550 for the skates and a $200 upcharge.

I'm in the process of getting my next pair of skates done, which will be the Nexus 1000s. Just know that you can only get their top of the line skates customized (this may not be nec true if you're a NCAA college player from what i've been told, but even then its only the next level down from top of the line). I'm currently working with the guys at a Total Hockey by me and what i've been quoted was retail price and an $80 upcharge. This charge may change depending upon the severity of the changes needed and i know mine are extreme. (To quote the last rep, "you require more tweaks than Peter Foresburg"). The first quote they gave me came in at around 1,000 due to the top of the line skates now being $800. In a sense, Bauer has priced me out of their skates and I'm looking at other options (CCM/Reebok and Graf) but i'm so comfortable in Bauers i may just have to take the hit.

My skates i've had for almost 4 years, playing 2+ teams all year long and multiple tournaments and they've held up fairly well. I'm obviously not skating like i was when i was younger and going through a pair of skates a season but the increased stiffness etc that we added have def helped allow the skates to hold up.

Hopefully this gives you more insight to the costs.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Hawks82

I live in NW Indiana, which I've quickly found is pretty much hockey Siberia. Other than my LHS, there's pretty much just Dick's Sporting Goods and their selection isn't great.

As a matter of fact, when I ordered my X40's originally they were on back order because Bauer hadn't yet released the 2013 product line. Being my first pair of skates I was a little paranoid about the size length wise. I wear a 9.5 in gym shoes and ordered a 9.0 in skates. About 3-4 weeks ago I drove to the rink on a Saturday to get my foot measured so I could make any changes to my order before it shipped. My LHS didn't even have a foot measuring tool.

I believe there's 3-4 Total Hockey stores out in the Illinois burbs, but that would literally be an all day excursion. I'm not in an ideal situation by any means.

Luckily the rest of the gear I've bought fits perfectly...it's just the skates that are giving me problems.

I haven't gotten the 4.0's baked yet because I can already tell that they'll need to be punched or stretched just slightly. The heel feels good, doesn't slip. The area that's giving me trouble is the upper 3/4th part of the foot.

I'll talk to the guys at the LHS when I go in early next week and see what my options are as far getting either the x40's or 4.0's stretched out and go from there.

Thanks fellas.

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:25 PM
AIREAYE

I would bake and stand before stretching, though, for that level of boot, going directly to a stretch might not be a bad idea.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 05:57 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Why are you stuck on the Vapor? Those are known to run narrow, try the Bauer Supreme (one.7, one.8) or whatever the cost equivalent is to the X40. The Supreme's run much wider.

I had the same issue you did, but did not buy them. I walked around in the shop for 2 mins with Vapors and knew there was no way they were designed for my foot type. I'm flat footed and wide, no way in hell!

Just remember something with hockey skates, if it hurts when you put them on at first, it's going be even worse after skating for an hour. Proper fitment is absolutely crucial. Sure baking and punching helps, but starting with the right footbed is huge, don't force a skate on that isn't designed for your foot shape.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote