HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Visiting SJ for games 3/4

Old
04-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Tanevian*

vCash: 500
OT: Visiting SJ for games 3/4

Hi,

Planning on heading down for games 3 & 4 if things fall into place and had a few questions I'd rather have answered by people over google.

1. How easy is it to get from SFO to San Jose. It's much easier to gets flights to San Fran.

2. Any suggestions on where to stay. Stay home isn't acceptable.

3. Buying tickets in SJ. Is scalping legal? Any help would be appreciated unless the Sharks win both games.

4. Anything else you have to suggest, like where to go on an off day.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:14 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Check the locked, stickied thread -- there's links to threads that have "where to go, what to do, how to get there".

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Also:

Are you renting a car?

Do you plan to stay in SJ?

If you understood everything I said, you’d be me - Miles Davis

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:26 PM
domon

San Fran. Eww.

domon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Paka Ono
Pro Ice Girl Scout

Coming from someone who currently lives in SF, but works (and used to live) in SJ.

How long are you here and what are your priorities? These 2 questions will determine your plan of attack.

Public transportation from SFO airport to SJ is doable but a pain since you have to BART to Millbrae then transfer to Caltrain and take that to SJ.

SF <-> SJ is doable. And not a bad choice since all of the nightlife is in SF. Way more bars, clubs, restaurants, shows, etc. And getting around SF does not require a car. You will need a car to get around SJ for the most part.

If you do decide to stay in SF stay somewhere that is close to a Caltrain station. Caltrain drops you off right in front of the Shark Tank. And cruising down to SJ just for 2 hockey games on Caltrain is pretty easy. Use BART/MUNI for all of your other public transportation needs.

So here goes:

If this is a quick trip just to see the Nucks play, rent a car and stay in San Jose.

If you are trying to double up and get some SF/Bay area vacation time and party while you are here, then staying in SF and only heading to SJ for the hockey games is what you want.

If you don't plan on renting a car at all, staying in SF is pretty much your only option.

Everything else was touched upon in LS' travel FAQ.

Hope that helps!

Paka Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

^^^^^

I would disagree slightly with you in that there are enough places downtown to enjoy nightlife for a night or two. If it were me I would stay in SJ, rent a car and go to SF for a day/night depending on the days here and schedule of the games.

If you're not renting a car I would certainly stay in SJ, otherwise you're talking about a lot of travel time when you're probably only gonna be here a few days. You could even take the train to the city for the day between games.

Just my 2 cents.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
fishferbrains

I'd recommend taking AlaskaAir through PDX or SEA to San Jose. It's generally cheaper and far more conveient.

Stay at the San Jose Fairmont. Not quite the Pac Rim, but affordable and in walking distance.

You can buy tickets easily through the usual online suspects. Day of game you can buy fairly easily on the street but expect to pay 1-2 times face value.

Off days, I'd recommend Santa Cruz or simply staying close and crying in your (American) beer.

[QUOTEPlease Let Us Win;64837899]Hi,

Planning on heading down for games 3 & 4 if things fall into place and had a few questions I'd rather have answered by people over google.

1. How easy is it to get from SFO to San Jose. It's much easier to gets flights to San Fran.

2. Any suggestions on where to stay. Stay home isn't acceptable.

3. Buying tickets in SJ. Is scalping legal? Any help would be appreciated unless the Sharks win both games.

4. Anything else you have to suggest, like where to go on an off day.[/QUOTE]

fishferbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Tanevian*

Any suggestions for bars/pubs with good craft brew list?

Thx for the AA tip, they fly Van-PDX-SJ and it's a pretty short layover.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:00 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

If you're willing to do a little bit of driving or have someone take you if you don't want to leave your car, it's even cheaper to go down to Bellingham and fly from there. You can go Bellingham ->Seattle->San Jose on Alaska Air at a reasonable price.

It's what I did when I went down to SJ last week.

Also, I'm not sure what you consider to be "affordable" for a hotel, but know that the Fairmont is like $230 a night average minimum (not surprising, it's a 4-star hotel.) Which is about the norm for the various 4-star hotels around SJ.

I just stayed at the Arena hotel. It's a 3-star hotel, so it's not exactly luxurious, but it's serviceable and like half the price of a lot of the other hotels in the area (unless you go down to Motel 6 territory). It's also only a couple blocks from the tank.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I just stayed at the Arena hotel. It's a 3-star hotel, so it's not exactly luxurious, but it's serviceable and like half the price of a lot of the other hotels in the area (unless you go down to Motel 6 territory). It's also only a couple blocks from the tank.
I just booked the Arena, for 3 reasons. Wife isn't coming so I don't really care that much, it's a place to sleep off drinks and shower. It was cheap by CDN standards, $775 for the flight and 3 nights. I considered Bellingham but it's over an hour and the border can be a pain.

Third reason?

http://deadspin.com/5807325/the-canu...ped-for-game-5

Any other suggestions for things to do and things not to do are appreciated.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:54 AM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
Any suggestions for bars/pubs with good craft brew list?
You want to be on First St. Right off of Santa Clara, there's Good Karma, a vegan cafe with a solid love for craft beer and right across the street is Original Gravity Public House, also a great selection of rotating craft taps.

Market Beer Company at the San Pedro Square Market has a ton of great bottles, but they're kinda expensive.

On a side note, good luck before and after Game 3. It's Cinco de Mayo, AKA the most bat-**** crazy day in San Jose every year. I highly recommend not being in SJ Saturday night, as trouble will be everywhere, and probably to a good degree on Sunday during the day and night as well.

likewall32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:49 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by likewall32 View Post
You want to be on First St. Right off of Santa Clara, there's Good Karma, a vegan cafe with a solid love for craft beer and right across the street is Original Gravity Public House, also a great selection of rotating craft taps.

Market Beer Company at the San Pedro Square Market has a ton of great bottles, but they're kinda expensive.

On a side note, good luck before and after Game 3. It's Cinco de Mayo, AKA the most bat-**** crazy day in San Jose every year. I highly recommend not being in SJ Saturday night, as trouble will be everywhere, and probably to a good degree on Sunday during the day and night as well.
Arriving Sunday am, bat**** crazy sounds awesome. Should I bring a sombrero?

Old
04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Arriving Sunday am, bat**** crazy sounds awesome. Should I bring a sombrero?
Only if you're actually Mexican, or don't mind the possibility of SUVs and low-riders with all kinds of spinning rims possibly yelling or more at you. When I say bat-**** crazy, I don't just mean everybody gets wasted and has a good time like a party. Plenty of people do that. However, unfortunately, plenty of people like to take it too far, and its worth keeping a solid head about the whole situation.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Only if you're actually Mexican, or don't mind the possibility of SUVs and low-riders with all kinds of spinning rims possibly yelling or more at you. When I say bat-**** crazy, I don't just mean everybody gets wasted and has a good time like a party. Plenty of people do that. However, unfortunately, plenty of people like to take it too far, and its worth keeping a solid head about the whole situation.
6'2 and blond might ruin my disguise.

Thanks for the tip though. Sounds like I am in for some cultural education.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:31 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
I just booked the Arena, for 3 reasons. Wife isn't coming so I don't really care that much, it's a place to sleep off drinks and shower. It was cheap by CDN standards, $775 for the flight and 3 nights. I considered Bellingham but it's over an hour and the border can be a pain.

Third reason?

http://deadspin.com/5807325/the-canu...ped-for-game-5

Any other suggestions for things to do and things not to do are appreciated.
Day off in between games, staying near downtown San Jose, want craft beer. My suggestion to cover all of these? http://wetyourwhistles.com/index.html

It has bar suggestions near almost every Caltrain station. Not all are good, but you can certainly dig through them to find ones that meet your desires. I'd suggest Tied House in Mountain View, Rose and Crown or Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto, Gourmet Haus Staudt in RWC, The Refuge in San Carlos, then a bunch of cities I've never stopped in (although Burlingame has a brewery really close to the train station) and eventually up to 21st Amendment Brewery in San Francisco. Heck, you could do it reverse the day of a game if you wanted to...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Day off in between games, staying near downtown San Jose, want craft beer. My suggestion to cover all of these? http://wetyourwhistles.com/index.html

It has bar suggestions near almost every Caltrain station. Not all are good, but you can certainly dig through them to find ones that meet your desires. I'd suggest Tied House in Mountain View, Rose and Crown or Gordon Biersch in Palo Alto, Gourmet Haus Staudt in RWC, The Refuge in San Carlos, then a bunch of cities I've never stopped in (although Burlingame has a brewery really close to the train station) and eventually up to 21st Amendment Brewery in San Francisco. Heck, you could do it reverse the day of a game if you wanted to...
Thanks for that list. I like the idea of a Tuesday reverse game day trip. The Monday is the day I am not sure of. Thought about renting a convertible or a motorbike and heading to Santa Cruz. Monterey seems a bit too far for a quick day trip.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
6'2 and blond might ruin my disguise.

Thanks for the tip though. Sounds like I am in for some cultural education.
Cinco de Mayo (or Drinko de Mayo as it's known) in San Jose is a day for everyone to get ****faced drunk and party in the streets of Downtown SJ. You're likely to see a heavy police presence and wouldn't be surprised if you witness some debauchery. If you're going to wander into the crowds, leave your valuables back at your room and you should be fine.

Quote:
Thanks for that list. I like the idea of a Tuesday reverse game day trip. The Monday is the day I am not sure of. Thought about renting a convertible or a motorbike and heading to Santa Cruz. Monterey seems a bit too far for a quick day trip.
Monterey isn't far but there isn't much to see there outside of the Aquarium, if you're into that kind of thing. Santa Cruz is much nicer for leisure, especially if you just want to hang out on the beach or go to the Boardwalk.

I'm also a big fan of Sunset Beach, but it's a bit further south and probably out of your range.

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Tanevian*

Just to confirm, sections 107/109 is where the Sharks SHOOT for 2 periods, correct?

Old
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Just to confirm, sections 107/109 is where the Sharks SHOOT for 2 periods, correct?
You got it. 121/123 would be the end you'd want, unless you want to stare at the back of Roberto Luongo/Cory Schneider for 40 minutes.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
You got it. 121/123 would be the end you'd want, unless you want to stare at the back of Roberto Luongo/Cory Schneider for 40 minutes.
Thanks, bought in the lower bowl on the correct end.. Did I overpay at 130? Still a good price by Van standards.

I think I might be more stoked for Cinco. It's pretty tame here, usually a few extra Corona billboards and too much Gypsy Kings.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:46 PM
Berto2k

Quote:
Thanks, bought in the lower bowl on the correct end.. Did I overpay at 130? Still a good price by Van standards.

I think I might be more stoked for Cinco. It's pretty tame here, usually a few extra Corona billboards and too much Gypsy Kings.
130 ea or for both? Each that isn't bad. For both that's a steal.

Berto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:36 AM
SoftDumpInTheCorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
^^^^^

I would disagree slightly with you in that there are enough places downtown to enjoy nightlife for a night or two.

Just my 2 cents.
Dont listen to this guy. There is nothing to do in SJ other than get stabbed by ghetto ass people or just get dirty looks. As for food & nightlife, SJ does not even belong in the same ballpark, let alone the same sport as SF. Rent a car, stay in SF, you will be glad you did.

SoftDumpInTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Old
05-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumpInTheCorner View Post
Dont listen to this guy. There is nothing to do in SJ other than get stabbed by ghetto ass people or just get dirty looks. As for food & nightlife, SJ does not even belong in the same ballpark, let alone the same sport as SF. Rent a car, stay in SF, you will be glad you did.
I've been to SF a few times, I really like it. But I decided on SJ, there will be a lot of my fellow rioters in town. I probably will head into SF on Monday for lunch and dinner. I have great medical insurance, so getting stabbed is covered. A bit of ghetto might be fun.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:38 AM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto2k View Post
130 ea or for both? Each that isn't bad. For both that's a steal.
Each. I just saw the printed price was $95m. But when on ticketmaster there was nothing even close price wise. I'll buy game 4 when there, maybe I won't be such a rookie.