HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Toronto media distracting the team preparing for playoffs??

Old
04-30-2013, 10:42 AM
bonjovi0308

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Toronto media distracting the team preparing for playoffs??

The media, especially Cox, is grilling PK as he skipped the media Monday.Ok i get it, he should be doing his job answering media questions too but what is the use for stirring up the pot at this very moment b4 faceoff against Bruins?? Discuss

bonjovi0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Loosie

Maple Leafsí Phil Kessel ditching the media was a selfish act

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...h_act_cox.html

I should have known better than to read a Cox article. But he's basically comparing Kessel not wanting to speak to the media, to him cutting his lawn. (Don't want to do it but has to be done). Attacking for slagging off the media, and saying he doesn't buy the 'Poor Phil Kessel' act.

And to top it all off, he still wants to trade him. Claiming that he's still going to wnat to get paid a lot of money to stay.

So what? Oh my let's not pay top dollar for a superstar player who has been top 10 in scoring in the last two seasons and is one of the top players in the NHL.

It stuff like this that makes Kessel not want to talk to the media, when he already is shy. He MIGHT have actually talked to the media if it was against any other team other than Boston, everyone is going to be making a big deal about is 'inabilities in Boston' and 'The Trade.'

Cox is also claiming that the league will get involved and make him talk.

And then there is this beauty:

Quote:
If heís okay with that, then Iím okay with that. And if he chooses not to speak on the upcoming series between the Maple Leafs and Boston Bruins today, Iím okay with that, too.
Clearly by this article (and the title of the article) Cox is NOT ok with Kessel not chossing to speak to the media.

Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
416Leafer

The story this morning and the media coverage about Kessel not showing up to the media scrum... Has got to be one of the dumbest non-stories ive ever seen in Toronto.

It was on SportsCentre this morning. It was mentioned multiple times on the Fan 590 this morning, they debated the topic back and forth for like 10 minutes, its in the newspapers, etc. How is this even news?

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:51 AM
nsleaf

Each player should be given a list of cliches when replying to media questions and use these cliches only. How about these:

20. That is not a penalty you want to take.

Uh, no...I believe he did want to take the penalty, because it’s a lot of fun to be down a man in the NHL.

19. We need to take it one shift at a time.

Crap, is that why I suck at hockey? I’m always looking ahead to the third shift of next game, not this current shift!

18. The horses are in the barn, boys.

What horses? And why is there a barn in the arena?

17. It’s been a back and forth hockey game.

Yes, that’s what happens with two hundred feet of ice and a tiny rubber disc—it goes back and forth.

16. We need to put shots on net.

Dammit! Another reason why I suck at hockey! I forgot that the shot has to actually go on net. Take note, Flyers.

15. We need to be more consistent.

The Maple Leafs don’t have to worry about this—they are absolutely consistent. Because they consistently lose! Oh, snap! (Derek and Josh, please don’t kill me.)

14. If we get the right matchups, then we can win this game.

Translation: We have no chance in hell of winning unless the other coach puts out a team of mites.

13. He took a massive beating in that fight!

As opposed to the secondary line, “They seemed to have a great time waltzing out there on the ice.”

12. A two-goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

True. I’d much rather be winning by one goal than two goals. It’s safer.

11. It’s a team effort, it’s all about winning.

Don’t you for once want to see a player just say to the reporter, “You know, I couldn’t give a hoot about winning, I just want to set some records!” Oh wait—Terrell Owens has done this numerous times.

10. The European players are not interested in winning.

That’s right, they’re only in America for the fantastic health-care system and the crackerjack job that the government does.

9. He needs to just keep his head up.

Is that why he keeps getting those concussions?

8. We have to create more chances.

No s**t.

7. They really need to work harder out there.

That can’t be right, because to try is to risk failure. So that’s why the Flyers’ don’t try, because then they can’t fail. Actually, they still find a way.

6. Our goalie really bailed us out.

Yeah, if he had played any worse, we would’ve—lost.

5. We have to take advantage of our chances.

Oh, right—is that why I’m supposed to shoot when there is an empty net? Another reason why I suck at hockey (there are lots of these!).

4. It’s a lower-body injury.

Oh, because when he took that stick in the knee, I thought he broke his wrist.

3. It’s an upper-body injury.

Oy, again. But seriously, though, Americans are not going to stand for this B.S., so getting American love to the game is going to depend on not treating the fans like idiots.

2. We have to play a full game.

A major problem for every NHL team whose name does not start with Red and end with Wings.

1. We just have to go out and play our game.

Is that why these guys are getting paid millions of dollars? Because based on the Senators, I thought they were supposed to just half-ass their way to the next paycheck. Ba-zing!

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Yosho
Logic

Way too much talk about this today.

Who cares? Why rehash the same **** every damn interview? Kessel is out of here when he's a UFA - and I don't blame him one bit.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi0308 View Post
The media, especially Cox, is grilling PK as he skipped the media Monday.Ok i get it, he should be doing his job answering media questions too but what is the use for stirring up the pot at this very moment b4 faceoff against Bruins?? Discuss
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen as the saying goes.

There really is nothing wrong with players discussing on ice situation questions with the media, in fact the NHL has rules which require players to give access to reporters, even in the locker room. Yesterday when Nonis was informed of Kessel ducking the media he responded with "I will talk to him and it will be addressed".

04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
416Leafer

Some of Cox's articles are decent, but i wont even read this one. Its such a non-story.

The Toronto media sometimes.... Unbelievable. Theyll get their crappy soundbite from Kessel about giving 110% soon enough. He doesnt even give good interviews, they should be glad that they get to focus more on an interview with guys like Lupul, Bozak, Kadri, MacArthur, etc.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:55 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

The players don't have to talk to the media; the media in Toronto with their huge egos will have you believe otherwise. **** them; I'm tired of ourlocal media looking for angles to **** on this team.

Nice work Kessel!

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TmlHockeyFan

Honestly, this is so dumb. The media needs to stop *****ing and let the players play. ****, all these ***** do is provide distractions for the players. If the player doesn't want to talk, he doesn't want to talk.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
theLongR0D
Classless

This is so ridiculous, can't wait to not hear about this anymore. Media is hilariously blowing this out of proportion.

theLongR0D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Way too much talk about this today.

Who cares? Why rehash the same **** every damn interview? Kessel is out of here when he's a UFA - and I don't blame him one bit.
Absolutely. The amount of garbage these self-absorbed, ink-stained wretches and talking heads have given this kid, he'd be right to leave for elsewhere. I'd be snubbing these jerks left, right and centre if I was him.

It's a part of the job, for sure. And he has a responsibility to interview and be made available, but they have slung so much mud on this guy, how can you blame him?

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
No need to answer negative media.

I still say Burke would back his players up and not throw his player to wolves like Nonis.

You don't need to have media skills to be a hockey player. Plain and simple. If we want players who are good at talking to media, maybe Clarke MacArthur should be our best player then.

PS: Playing hockey is not the same as cooking in kitchen.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

There really is nothing wrong with players discussing on ice situation questions with the media, in fact the NHL has rules which require players to give access to reporters, even in the locker room. Yesterday when Nonis was informed of Kessel ducking the media he responded with "I will talk to him and it will be addressed".
I agree although I wish for once a player would actually say what they wanna say.
When the media asks the same question for the millionth time, ask them a question back.

Or just plain troll Cox... Pretty please do this...

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Looks like they're mostly just distracting you guys

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

who cares that he didn't talk to the media? he's socially awkward and kind of shy - it's not like he would have said anything particularly profound...and all the media would have done is to rehash the tired questions about the trade that brought him to toronto.

like usual, cox's article is idiotic and the media is predictably making a major story out of a non-event.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

vCash: 100
Who cares? Kessel doesn't give a crap about the media.

I hope most of our players just blocked them like that.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
29Potvins

I usually never ***** about articles and the Toronto media, but that article was just asinine and unnecessary. Phil made it a bigger story than it has to be? You mean Damien Cox made it bigger story than it has to be. Also, I can't see how Sidney Crosby, Steve Stamkos etc were in any way relevant to the article.

I usually don't like DiManno either, but her article on the Leafs/Bruins series was actually interesting.

When journalists spew non-sense like this, it really annoys the crap out of me. It's just a waste of everyone's time.

29Potvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EDDIE20*

Cox can kiss my ass. He's always criticizing the Leafs for something. If they'd win the Cup, he'd find a reason to complain.

Obviously, he wasn't beaten enough as a child.

EDDIE20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Do whatever you need to Phil to make sure we crush the Bruins

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Ari91

According to Mirtle, the NHL has guidelines about players having to make themselves available to the media and that seems like an understandable enough policy that the NHL would put in place. It's part of the job. I do sympathize with him given his natural shyness and the storyline of playing a playoff series against his former team that he happens to always disappear against - but again, it's all part of his job. With that said, the story being made out of it is beyond ridiculous.

Bryz was amazed at what he had to deal with in the Philly media, welcome to a big hockey market Bryz. This kind of hoopla is the norm, not the exception.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Kessel can silence his critics, as its in his own control to do based on how he performs.

If Kessel performs well on the ice, than facing the media praising him is more enjoyable and easier, than defending himself for his struggles.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

RC said the players will be available to the media and he didn't know Phil skipped out.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:06 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You and I don't agree a whole lot but I think you're absolutely right here. If players don't want to talk to the media, then they shouldn't sign NHL contracts. Kessel should get a warning, but if he does it again, the league should suspending or at the very least fining him.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

As long as it pisses off the media, I'm happy.

Edit: Bryzgalov really said it best.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 50
Quote:

Actually how many times is Pk suppose to answer the same questions? He can answer these questions with his play on the ice. And your quote is a flat out lie! Nonis said " Phil is expecting the same questions he has been asked over and over again"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/

There is the link

We all know you hate Kessel, but don't spin quotes to suit your agenda.

Go Leafs Go

jasonleaffan is offline   Reply With Quote