HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Caron or Fleury? Who gets the job in Da 'Burgh

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Doghouse

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
Caron or Fleury? Who gets the job in Da 'Burgh

Sebastien Caron had himself a good season last year on a way below average team. Not to mention, was a first team All-rookie goaltender last year. The fact that he's accomplished that at such a young age and on such a terrible team, that's speaks volumes.

However, this season is much different. It's my belief that the Penguins D has somewhat improved (anything's better than last year).

Caron isn't playing badly, but is clearly being outplayed by Marc-Andre Fleury. I know people have their own personal dogmas about preseason games, but in his first two professional games, he's faced 53 shots and saved 50 of them. This is not against bad teams with bad farm systems either. The Islanders shelled him in the first period of his first game, and he stoned them all. He also won against Joe Thorthon, Sergei Samsanov, and the Bruins. These are marquee names and teams that's he's beaten so far.

Fleury's getting rave reviews from around the league. So should he be starting at 18? Or should Caron, young as well, but more experienced start?

Old
09-26-2003, 02:40 PM
temporary pencil

I think the Pens should try to start the season with both Fleury and Caron and ship Aubin to Siberia or something.

Split the games more or less evenly between Caron and Fleury but give Caron the harder games. Then, as the season unfolds, give Fleury more and more time.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:03 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
They better not screw up Fleury's development...I have him in a keeper league and if they pull a Blackburn on him...I'll fly down to Pittsburg and remove Mario's spine permanently.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:04 PM
jhopspensfan

40 games a piece.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
They better not screw up Fleury's development...I have him in a keeper league and if they pull a Blackburn on him...I'll fly down to Pittsburg and remove Mario's spine permanently.
As apposed to temporarily?

Old
09-26-2003, 03:28 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
As apposed to temporarily?
Well, there are two trains of thought on the matter. One is that the Spine is an important piece of equipment within the human body and cannot be removed without causing catostrophic results. Other scientists, however, feel that it acts like a Leggo and can be removed and replaced at will without major difficulties. I think our friend subscribes to the latter.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:31 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhopspensfan
40 games a piece.
That sounds like a plan.

Old
09-26-2003, 03:32 PM
temporary pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy page
That sounds like a plan.
Except that they'll play 2 games with an empty net

Old
09-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
41 games a piece

Caron is the starter, by name, no matter what, but Fleury still could play a hell of alot for a back-up.

If Fleury plays well in his last pre-season game his roster spot is guaranteed, if not...then he'll still probably make it.

I love the Aubin to Siberia idea though.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Coffey777

vCash:
OR, they don't play Fleury at all and send him back to juniors. Don't get me wrong, from what I've read the kid seems like he'd be able to play (especially for PIT), but if he played this year he'd lose his junior eligibility all together. This only becomes a problem in the event of an actual lockout / strike next year. Instead of potentially being able to play in the minors (and not lose out on any development), Fleury would be sitting on his a*s just like everyone else. Something to think about.

Play him right away (which might still be early) and potentially have him not play next year or send him back to juniors and guarantee him a place to play next year, strike or no strike. What do you think???

Old
09-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

I could see them splitting time.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I would keep him for the 9 games or whatever it is, before making a permament decision on what to do with him,
what's the first month look like for the Penguins schedule wise?

Old
09-26-2003, 06:56 PM
flyrfan

Send a message via Yahoo to flyrfan
I think they should give the job to Caron, he is really good. They could let Caron start about 50 games, and let Fleury start about 32 games, he is young and shouldn't have to start a lot of games.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:58 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Let him play those 10 games and see if he can hold up in the pros. What can it hurt?

Caron played average tonight. I have seen him play a lot better. It seems like Fleury is really outplaying him in camp.

Old
09-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Malmo_Mike

I don't think that they're going to risk his development by rushing him. Chance are they won't make the playoffs so why rush your young stud goalie. I would use Caron, most likely finish close to last (like they would be much better with Fleury in net anyways) and draft another top end talent. In a couple years after Fleury has developed and is NHL ready the Pens could be a force.

Closed Thread