HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF Game 1 | NY Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | May 1 | 7:30pm | PART II | L 5-0

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I disagree. This is a team that came into this game not knowing what playoff hockey is about. They thought they were playing playoff hockey this past month, but they severely underestimated the intensity level that they were walking into. About 90% of this roster has zero playoff experience, and it showed.

IMO the greater concern will be if they look this flat and tentative in Game 2. They need to use this as a learning experience, plain and simple. Come back on Friday knowing that this is do or die, and that in order to have any shot they will need to give it their all each and every shift.
I seem to remember a first year playoff team with no experience going down 3-0 and 6-1 before scoring a couple of late powerplay goals in game 1. That year was 2007 and that team was the Pittsburgh Penguins, who, with Crosby and Malkin, got torched by a much more experience Ottawa Senators club (who was SCF bound).

The Penguins won game 2, but lost the series 4-1. The next year, they were in the SCF. Experience is an obvious, but somehow often overlooked, commodity in the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Anyone else want to call Peter Putzgazer on his bull ****?

Yeah, right. He watched Kris Letang with Val d'our.

That joker nary watched a hockey game before this gig. He can barely pronounce these guys names no less have traveled deep into Canada to watch junior prospects.

Try again Peter.
Dude is Canadian, and worked the Avalanche broadcasts prior to this gig.

He has a fat tongue but I don't doubt he is a hockey fan, who's watched a ton of it in his life.

I'm sure one of his first few gigs as a sports journalist in canada would have been covering junior hockey.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:08 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I fell asleep and missed the 3rd period. I'm a little upset I missed this Reasoner major.

Not one for overreacting, but throw Ryan Strome in there and scratch Boyes. Why the hell not.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Renbarg

That was bad.

Onto game 2

Old
05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
BKIsles

We spilled the spaghetti tonight.

Everyone was pretty awful, but I thought our "playoff veterans" were absolute crap. Not sure what Cappy was thinking with the Reasoner move, very shortsighted. I don't think it's a referendum on his coaching job this season, I just happen to think we play better when we have a few more meaner players out there, Cappy should know that by now.

Strait, Streit, and MacDonald were also particularly terrible, they just had no positive impact on the game at all, but nobody was really ready to play tonight.

In his interview after the game, Matty Martin said a loss is a loss, whether 2-1 or 5-0. Not sure I really believe that, this feels like the '94 playoffs all over again, but with a young team, hopefully you get a different reaction out of the players. I highly doubt JT sleeps a wink tonight, but that's the kind of resolve this team has had all season, so I expect a considerably better effort on Friday.

As for a gameplan for Friday, exert dominance in front of the net in the offensive zone. Fleury was shaky early and we couldn't capitalize. Just don't let Fleury get a good look at the puck. Win or lose, we have to score a few times on Friday to bring any positive vibe back to the Barn.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
well i'm going to bed. play nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Right behind you.
There is some many good jokes here I don't know where to start....

Old
05-01-2013, 10:34 PM
HajdukSplit

terrible game, hopefully its not like this for the next couple of games. Don't think they were truely ready for it

Old
05-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Satan'sIsland81

Anybody still "happy" we got Pittsburgh in the first round? Anybody still think it was good for the team to coast through the final week and not get one more single win and we would be playing Montreal instead now.

Just as I said numerous times already, that awesome run was all a waste because this team was satisfied with just getting the 8th seed. I also said they were clearly headed in the wrong direction rather than staying hot, as those last four lackluster games showed. And they got manhandled tonight as proof of it.

Do not be surprised if this series ends up very similar to the one against the Rags in '94. Very likely we are on the golf course four games after usual. God I hope I am wrong, but after tonight I do not see how anybody could think that is not the case. Team did not even show up to play tonight...in a playoff game. Pathetic.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
WHARF1940

6-0..........5-0
6-0...........?
5-1............?
5-2.............?
Let's see hopefully history doesn't repeat itself but that hurt I couldn't go to school after that series.....

Old
05-01-2013, 10:52 PM
NYCoolRunner

Maybe I am missing something, but how come it seems that they either have Carkner and Boulton in or out as a pair? If they're both essentially slow bruisers, why have both at the same time? They could use a little more muscle, but definitely not two of them.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
Anybody still "happy" we got Pittsburgh in the first round? Anybody still think it was good for the team to coast through the final week and not get one more single win and we would be playing Montreal instead now.

Just as I said numerous times already, that awesome run was all a waste because this team was satisfied with just getting the 8th seed. I also said they were clearly headed in the wrong direction rather than staying hot, as those last four lackluster games showed. And they got manhandled tonight as proof of it.

Do not be surprised if this series ends up very similar to the one against the Rags in '94. Very likely we are on the golf course four games after usual. God I hope I am wrong, but after tonight I do not see how anybody could think that is not the case. Team did not even show up to play tonight...in a playoff game. Pathetic.
Agreed 100%

I dont understand how anyone was happy with seeding against Pittsburgh

Old
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

go with the original lines that we went up the run with:

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Aucoin - McDonald
Joensuu - Cizikas - Martin

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Martinek
Hickey - Visnovsky

and if we get blown out in game 2 swap out aucoin with ullstrom

Old
05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post

It looks like they may have needed to be 6th based on how that Bruins team looked tonight, and of course no guarantee the Caps do not steamroll the Rags...may have been screwed no matter where they finished if they returned to their February form of playing which it appears they may be doing. Nabby I felt looked shaky the last 2 games he played although it was masked quite a bit by the fact he was facing bad teams, it was anything but masked tonight.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I was just hoping for a split in Pittsburg, and am not surprised at the outcome of this one.

They were clearly dominated. Put it behind you and worry about game two.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
go with the original lines that we went up the run with:

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Grabner - Aucoin - McDonald
Joensuu - Cizikas - Martin

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Martinek
Hickey - Visnovsky

and if we get blown out in game 2 swap out aucoin with ullstrom
I second this motion. Go with the guys that got us here to begin with.

Old
05-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Steve55

Since the Isles took out 2 guys in Game 1, I think they have a fair shot in game 2.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Katurian

First playoff game for most of the important pieces of this team. No need to panic just yet. I would have liked to have at least gotten a goal to get that monkey off our back. We'll see what this team is made of on Friday. Not that we'll win but I hope we show up and make a series out of it.

Carkner needs to be in there. Just got totally physically overmatched. It was scary. Too many smallish defenseman out there between viz, hickey, streit, strait and Mac.

I never want to see reasoner in an islander uniform again. Complete waste. Move totally backfired.

if we get dominated on Friday with Carkner in there then put Boulton in for game 3.

Jesse needs to play Friday.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:07 AM
islesfan186
YES! YES! YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
It looks like they may have needed to be 6th based on how that Bruins team looked tonight, and of course no guarantee the Caps do not steamroll the Rags...may have been screwed no matter where they finished if they returned to their February form of playing which it appears they may be doing. Nabby I felt looked shaky the last 2 games he played although it was masked quite a bit by the fact he was facing bad teams, it was anything but masked tonight.
7 seed would have worked. Bruins are 4 seed.
Here's hoping for a better effort game 2...now to not get any sleep tonight

Old
05-02-2013, 04:39 AM
simbo042

vCash: 50
Got up at 5am UK time to watch the game pretty much straight after it was finished and before I went to work. Not sure that it was worth losing sleep over!

We got hosed by a very good team in the first game. The result wasn't surprising, to be honest, but I was stumped at the inclusion of Reasoner. I'm still not happy with line one, and like some of the other posters here I'm leaning towards 12 - 91 - 21 as a potential solution and reuniting 51 - 40 on line two. Let performance per game prioritise ice time for the rest...but good luck getting wholesale change from Cappy.

Please, is there anyone else that can carry the puck on the PP? Without our special teams playing up to scratch the Pens will make us bleed every game.

I'm not happy about the seeding position either, no point *****ing about it now though.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:05 AM
IslesFan23

We only have one direction to go....up. We did nothing last night that made us successful in March/April. We definitely need to carry the puck more....if they don't have it, they cant score.

Old
05-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Tavaresfan91

This team better ******* come out with fire in their pants, this team has to come out and play 1000x better, hit everything, drop the gloves, do something that will show the pens were he mean monkey business Don't let these pens think we are going to let them come out and run us over every game, We need a fight night type game like the one a few years ago. Anyone got Mr. Gillies phone number? seriously this team need to wake up and send a message to the pens, i expect they will in game 2...

And is Cappy serious? guy looked like a deer in the headlights with the presser, show some freaking emotion or at least make it like you've been there before... i would have loved to see him come out fired up and angry with the media. I expect Cark in the game next game and hopefully strait out, not that i don't like the guy, i just think he is messing up the chemistry i bit and isn't ready for the playoffs.

On to game #2....LETS GO ISLANDERS

Old
05-02-2013, 05:31 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
No excuses to be made. The game was eerily similar to that game we had VS the other Pennsylvania team this season. I stand corrected and apologize to everyone (Dan-o corrected me)for thinking the Penguins were not a physical bunch.

We finally get Cappy to change things up but for all the wrong reasons.
The PP has been weak, the top line hasn't been good for some time now, but lets dress Reasoner instead of trying to fix the other major issues.

I was just hoping we could have made a game out of it but things didn't go our way and we got lambasted. 1st playoff game for like 90% of the team so i'm not throwing a hissy fit. Growing pains, it's part of the learning curve.

The 1 glaring need that needs to be addressed is to get bigger. With that being said who do we cut ties with to get there? Our top 3 lines besides CMAC is very small and soft. I guess we are going to have to part ways with someone via a trade to get some help. I hope BB will be gone but that still doesn't help us out in the long run.

I'm probably looking way too much into this but I guess i'm just reeling after the loss.

05-02-2013, 06:18 AM
JT4President

I have a new name for our first line:

THE HELICOPTER LINE

Why you ask..........

No wings.

Old
05-02-2013, 06:27 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Mark Eaton.

If there's any Penguin I'd like to see absolutely creamed, it's that pylon.

Ray Shero: "Mark -- we need someone to stand out there in the middle of the d-zone, not move, and simply give our dmen 9 minutes of rest on the bench. We can't pay you, so you'll have to pay us. Unfortunately, the bum who hangs outside the steel mill turned us down as he wanted a signing bonus. You up for the gig?"

Mark Eaton: "Can I wear my skates?"

Ray Shero: "Wear roller skates for all I care."

Mark Eaton "Sign me up."
Eaton lead all players on both teams with 8 blocked shots last night. Twice as many as Amac, the next closet player with 4. Ya, he was real bad? Were we watching the same game last night? LOL

Last edited by bigd: 05-02-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 06:58 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Has anyone read any of the posting on the Pens boards? The are crying like little babies that the Islanders gooned it up in the 3rd period and took a bunch of cheap shots? Except for the Reasoner penalty, which wasn't a kneeing penalty, I thought the Islanders played a quite 3rd period?

Closed Thread