HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 01:39 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
So, if you have no faith that the Leafs can beat the Bruins, here are a few questions for you:

1. Are you going to watch the rest of the series? If so, why? You already seem to believe you know the outcome.

2. Would you support the Leafs forfeiting the next three games? Again, you seem to feel that there is no hope.

If you're still going to watch and don't want the Leafs to simply forfeit the series, then you must least a little faith left. Or I suppose you could simply be a masochist.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'm trying to figure out why a fan wouldn't believe his team was going to win a series until the point where it becomes virtually impossible (say down 4 goals with 3 minutes left in a game that can eliminate) for the team to win.

What is the benefit in believing your team is going to lose a series? If there is no benefit, why do it?
It's about managing expectations. Looking at our team as the underdog and not expecting them to win this series hasn't made me any less excited about this series and for game 2. Every fan has that glimmer of hope even if they don't want themselves to admit it out loud but I don't think there's anything wrong with hoping for the best but expecting the odds to fall as they're predicted to fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The more I think about it, the less I would characterize the win as "Boston Dominating". Remember those series against Ottawa when they actually did dominate us by skating circles and peppering Belfour and Cujo with shots and it was a miracle we beat them every year? That actually looked like domination.

Playing against Boston, it's like both teams are stuck in slow motion and playing low energy hockey, and the Bruins seem more acclimated to that pacing.
I was already of that frame of mind last night. Leafs didn't make Boston earn their time and space, they gave it to them by constantly turning the puck over and failing to get out of their zone. Leafs were making stupid mistakes for no good reason and Boston simply capitalized. Boston is the better team but when the Leafs are giving away the puck the majority of the time without any real pressure from the opposition, you can't say the opposition purely outclassed them. Best on best, I still say Boston wins the game, but last night, the Leafs beat themselves more than anything else.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Vexed
Magic Marner

Game 1 makes people lose faith? Wow the bandwagoners are just becoming pathetic now.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

If we lose game 2, especially very badly, then yes I lose faith. Would I watch? Yes but if its the same crap at game 1 then I'd turn it off after the 1st period.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
So, if you have no faith that the Leafs can beat the Bruins, here are a few questions for you:

1. Are you going to watch the rest of the series? If so, why? You already seem to believe you know the outcome.

2. Would you support the Leafs forfeiting the next three games? Again, you seem to feel that there is no hope.

If you're still going to watch and don't want the Leafs to simply forfeit the series, then you must least a little faith left. Or I suppose you could simply be a masochist.
1st - If you are a fan, you watch the game, regardless of whether or not you have faith or not. It's apart of being a fan. That, and sports fans live off of hope/miracles, even if there is zero evidence to suggest one is around the corner

2nd - No. Even if the Leafs get hammered and go out 4-0, this is still a valuable learning experience for this team. Especially the young players, and those with no playoff experience.

So, even if you don't have faith in this team pulling this off, there's no reason why they shouldn't watch.

How many Ottawa fans believed they would beat the Rangers last season? Not many. But they watched and saw their team fight and take it proudly to 7 games.

I'm a realist - the Leafs don't have a shot in this series

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

In order for the Leafs to win, what's that century old cliche ? Oh right, "your best players have to be your best players".

For the Leafs that means Kessel, Lupul and Phaneuf not Grabovski, JVR and Colton Orr as it was in game #1.

If Leafs best players outperform Bruins best players in the series it will give the Leafs a chance, otherwise its game over.. Leaf is not as deep as the Bruins and can't afford any passengers.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Game 1 makes people lose faith? Wow the bandwagoners are just becoming pathetic now.
I never had faith to begin with, so it all works out.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:21 PM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
At the beginning of the season before the puck even dropped most hockey experts had Pens and Bruins being the teams to beat in the east.

So it really shouldn't come as a real shock or surprise that their opponents will be underdogs against them when the games really matter come playoff time.

The Bruins demonstrated yesterday why they were deserving of that early season praise, and recognized as a cup contender. Most NHL teams would have struggled the way they played yesterday.
Perhaps the reason why they looked out of sorts the last few weeks, playing with less of their usual intensity is 19 games in 36 days...

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:22 PM
InShannyWeTrust
Bring on the trades!

I have faith but my pride is hurt

InShannyWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Kb21

long series. after all no one excepted us to take both games in boston, we just need to take 1 whether it be game 1 or 2.

and as a post said, we need our best players to play at their best else we don't stand a chance. so no more excuses for kessel, lupul, reimer, etc.

even if we lose game 2 there is no reason why we can't sweep our home games. until boston comes to within 1 game of closing it out we're still in it.

Kb21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Didact
steel is my body

I don't mind if we lose the series (we will most likely lose), it's how we're losing that's bothering me. Getting dominated all over the ice, getting pushed around and getting hit like we were Wednesday doesn't sit well with me. We're looking like a pee-wee team out there, if we lose, I want use to lose fighting.

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
SteveV*

Paul Maurice made a good point today, noting that his Carolina team got smoked the first game against the Bruins, and they ended up adjusting and winning the series. If one game has you heading for the exits, you're not a very sophisticated follower.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Neas Olc
Registered Abuser

Quote:
I'll watch the rest of the series for the same reason people watch games after a team has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Neas Olc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
TennisMenace

No way is the series over after just one game. You guys beat them once, you could do it again. You certainly have enough talent to put the puck in the net, so hopefully that talent will RISE up.
GLG

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:04 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Leafs have lost 11 of the past 12 games they have played against Boston including yesterday.

If the Leafs do not split in Boston, it will mean Leafs will need to win 4 of the next 5 games in the series in order to advance.

Based on past performance the odds will not be great, against a battle ready, playoff tested and the reigning eastern conference Cup champions.

Its never over until its over, however a young inexperienced team, will need a lot of things going their way in order for this series to have a happy ending. IMO
Not the reigning Cup champs, or the reigning Eastern Conference champs, but the reigning eastern conference Cup champions.

Wow Mess, you sure can make anyone but the Leafs sound impressive.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
agropop

Did we ever think we could win this series? I didn't. I'm hoping to stretch it to 6 and lose with some dignity at least...

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
ECanuck
Young Gunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
Did we ever think we could win this series? I didn't. I'm hoping to stretch it to 6 and lose with some dignity at least...
As fans and media personnel it is fine which ever way you think.

The players on the other side have to think/believe they are going to win each and every time they step on the ice.

ECanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Eternal Leaf

Way to early to lose faith.

Another bad game might get people truly tossing and turning.

Eternal Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Not worried at all.

this was the match up I wanted, and all the stuff we're seeing is exactly why. It's "easy" to say oh well, if you don't know how to ramp it up in the playoffs, then blah blah blah. Please. You totally SAW why the Playoffs are a different animal. Boston did not play like Boston in the last few weeks of the regular season.

We. did.

However. we're capable of playing so much more, and I think being smacked around like that, will help. Now. if (and for me,it's a small if) we lose the series, there will be some (necessary changes, Nonis, thanks) that will have to be made - but that's also a good thing. (regardless if we win - lol some of those changes are going to be made).

Everyone is saying "Oh if we're down two games, we'll be swept."
Um. sure, okay? Because teams haven't come back from winning two games before.

People don't think we have the personnel to come back from a 3-0 hole? Well, I do. (and we're not even THERE yet).

I think we (I am using royal we: the Leafs, the Fans) neeed to start taking this period by period, not game by game, and just build from there. this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. I beleaf.
It's great you have so much faith in the leafs, but your have to be rational also. Not many teams are going to come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series. I am not saying it can't be done but it's pretty hard to win 4 straight games against a team like the Boston Bruins.

That's why game 2 is so important. If the leafs lose game 2 they are in trouble because that puts them on the back foot right off the hop. Going home is good but you never want to put your self in a position where you have to win both home games just to get back to even. Toronto needs to win game two so they have a chance to put Boston on the back foot, if they split the series in Boston then all the pressure is placed firmly back on Boston for games 3-4 in our barn. And I think it's going to be "Electric" in there especially for home opener.

And as a beleafer I think this team is more then capable of pulling this off. But I am not delusional this series is going to take everything from Toronto from lucky bounces to absolutely out working the Bruins in every aspect of the game. If anything game 1 for the leafs was a wake up call and lets just hope it woke them up for the rest of the series.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECanuck View Post
As fans and media personnel it is fine which ever way you think.

The players on the other side have to think/believe they are going to win each and every time they step on the ice.
I think it's obvious that they don't believe. Sadly.

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:42 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Just by making this thread your doubting them. This fanbase.. THE SKY IS FALLING after 1 game.
Indeed. Once the sweep is off the table it must be the end

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:01 PM
mozz

Honestly Game 2 is going to be more telling than Game 1. If they steal a game in Beantown and head back to TO with a 1-1 split I feel like anything can happen. If Kessel pulls his disappearing act and the rest of the team plays disinterested and we get beatdown.. Would not be surprised to see the team fold for the rest of the series and the Leafs to be swept.

mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
napoleon in rags
Don't follow leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Paul Maurice made a good point today, noting that his Carolina team got smoked the first game against the Bruins, and they ended up adjusting and winning the series. If one game has you heading for the exits, you're not a very sophisticated follower.
While I agree with the sentiment, the problem is that the Bruins have dominated the Leafs in the recent past with exactly the same type of game as last night. There were no surprises. The Leafs have had plenty of time for adjustments. But here's hoping.

napoleon in rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:05 PM
dimi78

Playoff series don't take shape until games are played in both arenas... Until the Leafs lose a game on home ice they're still very much in it... Now I didn't like the Leafs chances vs Boston on the matchup to begin with last night did nothing to change my opinion on that.

Adjustments need to be made primarily with the roster both Gardiner and Frattin should be a go in game 2 hopefully bring more balance to improve offensively cause that's what's killing the Leafs at the moment no offensive flow to there game what's so ever. They do not force the opposition to play defence nearly as much needed to give yourself the chance to win.

dimi78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Wendelstache

I believe in Kadri, he said this series is VERY VERY Winnable.

Hopefully he can back up his words and put this team on his shoulders.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote