HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who still has faith?

Old
05-02-2013, 10:15 PM
DoubleDouble*

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
In order for the Leafs to win, what's that century old cliche ? Oh right, "your best players have to be your best players".

For the Leafs that means Kessel, Lupul and Phaneuf not Grabovski, JVR and Colton Orr as it was in game #1.

If Leafs best players outperform Bruins best players in the series it will give the Leafs a chance, otherwise its game over.. Leaf is not as deep as the Bruins and can't afford any passengers.
I also think Kadri needs to be better to take pressure off the top line.

DoubleDouble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
lLeafer

vCash: 500
I felt so sure that they were just going to fire off a 16 game winning streak. Now I just don't know... I JUST DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!

lLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
I wouldn't say 'faith', 'cause I think there are plenty of entirely rational reasons to believe the Leafs could win this series. The game 1 loss was almost worth it just to really fill out my ignore list before the playoffs continue.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas*: 05-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
It's great you have so much faith in the leafs, but your have to be rational also. Not many teams are going to come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series. I am not saying it can't be done but it's pretty hard to win 4 straight games against a team like the Boston Bruins.

That's why game 2 is so important. If the leafs lose game 2 they are in trouble because that puts them on the back foot right off the hop. Going home is good but you never want to put your self in a position where you have to win both home games just to get back to even. Toronto needs to win game two so they have a chance to put Boston on the back foot, if they split the series in Boston then all the pressure is placed firmly back on Boston for games 3-4 in our barn. And I think it's going to be "Electric" in there especially for home opener.

And as a beleafer I think this team is more then capable of pulling this off. But I am not delusional this series is going to take everything from Toronto from lucky bounces to absolutely out working the Bruins in every aspect of the game. If anything game 1 for the leafs was a wake up call and lets just hope it woke them up for the rest of the series.
I've always said, MLSE could dress a team of poo flinging monkeys, and I'd always have hope that that team would make the playoffs, until they are mathematically eliminated. if they are in the playoffs, then I always hope for the stanley cup until it's 0:00 of the eliminating game.

I've been saying this all season: Shoot for the stars, because if you fall, you hit the trees. If you shoot for the trees, you'll aim for the mud. this team should be shooting for the stars. Someone pointed out (I don't know if it was this tread or another - too many threads!), that the Leafs have a nasty little habit that's developing of just giving up when bad plays happen (and they are behind). I think this has a lot to do with their youth and a good chunk of this team was playing last year. It's so easy to revert to "oh my GOD, we're horrible, horrendous, remember last year, freak out, panic, DOOM! DOOOOOOOOOM!" Which is why I can't wait to see after summer changes are said and done, this team go through a complete training camp.

I am also applying Mustard Seed Faith here.
A mustard seed is one of the smallest seeds in existence, but they grow up to be HUGE plants.

I'm realistic. Heck, I'm a worrywart by nature.

And in all honesty: I'm not worried.

I've wanted this match up. I was really happy that the Leafs drew the Bruins. and yes, when I get wrapped up in game day-ness (ie: WHY don't you SHOOT, DOOM! DOOM! yay! CRAP! ) etc. when I can remove myself from what I saw and just eternalise everything...

the leafs can take this game one of two ways:
A: they totally get/understand what the heck to expect, adjust, and PLAY. THEIR. GAME. not Boston's game. Not whatever crap they played against Montreal, or Washington, or New Jersey. but that game that symbolized everything, we wanted to ever see in the Leafs (that would be the 6-0 game (Montreal) and 5-1 game (Philly), by the way), where everything was clicking: forecheck, backcheck, finishing hits, no stupid pinches, no flip passes, not freaking out. (there were even some games where we were BEHIND and I was confident, because the team KNEW they'd come back and win. that's the team I want to see, and that's the team that can beat Boston).

or

B: they play like they played last night for 3 more games and boom. sweep.

I refuse to give credence to that thought. Yes my mind flits there, I wonder, oh gosh, but deep in my gut, I'm calm. and I've been through 4 years of playoffs with the Leafs, and im NEVER this calm. even when we were smoking Ottawa all those years, i'd be bouncing off the walls, wondering, if we'd win or if it was a fluke etc. maybe it's just me growing up.

I am applying all my faith in this team. and my hope.
colour me optimistic, colour me stupid. but i've seen teams that had had no chance to do anything in the playoffs: and make the finals. so I think it's really unfair to this team whose top two players have played 39 games to what? 100++ the average Boston player, to expect game one to be easy, or to whatever.

what happened last night, will serve the core of that team for YEARS. that HELPS US. if it means winning game seven - to give the core of our team invaluable lessons, then you know what: may Boston thump us again. If we learned our lesson and can win in 5/6: we've got the tools to do so.

(so basically. yeah. I agree with you. lucky bounses, etc, but I'm not going to turn my back on doing it. does it mean my heart gets broken a bit, yeah, but that's okay. )

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:05 AM
darrylsittler27

We knew we would win every game...

Reimer got a shutout.We knew this team didn't pick Boston to play first.We did the usual mid season tank,but the season was shortened.At least we get playoff experience and a much needed wake up call. If we don't improve, this team won't even be in the playoffs next year.We have been sliding for a while,Reimer is the reason we slipped in.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 AM
JamesVanDreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Every team has that one team that just has their number.

That team to us is Boston.
And Carolina. And NYI. And Tampa, etc...

JamesVanDreamsdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:53 AM
jomas

1 loss = does anybody have any hope left?
I forgot what Leafs in the playoffs were like...

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:11 AM
zeke
#freewilly

that was just game 1, boys.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:37 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
I do, and I don't.

I am still beyond tickled I finally get to see the Leafs after 9 years play a playoff game. I'm especially excited for Monday night, the first home game. It will be epic if they can win game 2 and tie up the series.

I have to be honest, rather low expectations for this team, this year, especially against Boston.

On the plus side, the result last night still was better than anything the Canucks did in Boston in 2011 They lost 8-1, 4-0, and 5-2.

Looking forward to Saturday. Go Leafs Go!

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think the Bruins are under the illusion that they played a great game when in fact the Leafs just played a downright terrible game...something they have done for the better part of the last month.
The Bruins won a cup by barely scraping by. They usually don't look that great, but they seem to be slightly better playing that awful, heavy game of theirs. I guess you can credit them for putting the opposition into a sort of choke hold.

The Leafs need to match the physicality of the Bruins in this series so they don't get ground into dust, but they should also think about introducing some speed into their game too...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:29 AM
CincoHolio
Tears of AGONY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
of all 16 teams in the playoffs the Leafs have

1)the most players with less than 100 nhl games played

2)the least amount of collective playoff experience

3)2nd youngest team after Ottawa

i expected this team to be picking in the top 10 this year

i consider this season a success

guys like Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles and probably a few others wont be

with this team nest year

i am happy the team is going to try and rebuild the right way for the first time ever

all i remember from the last decade is trading draft picks and prospect

we can't even be patient with our own prospects (see Steen and Tlusty)

hopefully next year, guys like Blacker, Holzer, Gardiner, Colbourne, Ashton, Di'magio are

given a legitimate chance to develop in the NHL

i feel that is better than keeping Kostka, Frazer, Macarthur, Mclearen, Liles

they have no future with the team

i hate the media, but I understood why they were negative for the past decade

but this year all i hear is

when the Leafs win- "they didn't deserve to win" or "they won despite being outplayed"

and when the Leafs Lose "The sky is falling"

as if this team was expected to win the Stanley Cup
This is a great post and pretty much sums up many of my feelings towards the buds this season. Even if we do get swept this series, we should still remain proud of what this team has accomplished.

We're playing a team that is 2 years removed from winning the Cup. Contrast that with the fact that none of us could have been sure that we'd even make the dance as early as this season.

We have a good core in place and best of all, it is young! There is still plenty of room to improve and the means to do it. With a little experience in the post season we should be a bit more attractive to pending free agents this year; it wouldn't be a stretch for them to project that we have a chance to win, moving forward.

The re-building years are done and now we are in the tweak to improve mode. The future is bright for this team.

CincoHolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Cor
OT Thread Leader

vCash: 72
We win in 6 games

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:27 AM
HellasLEAF
Auston 20:16

Leafs win game two. Stun the hockey world. Book it!!

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The Bruins won a cup by barely scraping by. They usually don't look that great, but they seem to be slightly better playing that awful, heavy game of theirs. I guess you can credit them for putting the opposition into a sort of choke hold.

The Leafs need to match the physicality of the Bruins in this series so they don't get ground into dust, but they should also think about introducing some speed into their game too...
The Bruins are better than the Leafs in almost every aspect of the game, however speed is where Leafs might have an advantage.

However they have to find a way to use it effectively as Bruins system and style seems to smother the life out of the flow of the game by clogging up center ice.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
HFX902

look at it this way. The leafs have only lost once in the playoffs in the last 9 years.... not to bad

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
The Bruins are better than the Leafs in almost every aspect of the game, however speed is where Leafs might have an advantage.

However they have to find a way to use it effectively as Bruins system and style seems to smother the life out of the flow of the game by clogging up center ice.
We definitely are better in the offensive front. Regardless, I believe that the Leafs have the potential to win the series.

Poor puck support by our forwards was the main culprit. More so, I think the entire Kostka hate is erroneous. Our D core was always quite sub-standard defensively, but Reimer and our forward depth has led us tot he playoffs. If utilized, we can win!

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Ari91

Quote:

Using it effectively is simply about moving their feet. That's really all there is to it. Why does Grabo dance right through their defenders? He shows no fear and he comes at them fast. We have speed up front, not sure why it's so hard for the boys to use it every game rather than once in a while.

Leafs had some coverage in the Metro this morning and there's a picture of the boys at practice in Boston and they seemed to be in good spirits. At least the staff seems to be keeping things positive as they have all season.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Good God it's one game people.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

i didnt read anything but the title, down 1-0 and we need to ask ourselves if we still believe? only in Leaf Nation!

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:55 AM
zeke
#freewilly

I remember back in round one in '93 when the heavily favored red wings smashed us in gamesone AND two....scores were 6-2 and 6-3 if i remember correctly....guess who won that series?

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDouble View Post
I also think Kadri needs to be better to take pressure off the top line.
He only played 13 minutes in game 1. Given more time, he would be much better.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
i didnt read anything but the title, down 1-0 and we need to ask ourselves if we still believe? only in Leaf Nation!
It's not that we're down 1-0 in the series, it's the way we lost the game that has us worried.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
It's not that we're down 1-0 in the series, it's the way we lost the game that has us worried.
One game does not a series make.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
I remember back in round one in '93 when the heavily favored red wings smashed us in gamesone AND two....scores were 6-2 and 6-3 if i remember correctly....guess who won that series?

Leafs had Dougie Gilmour back then, and with him nearly all things were possible. At least that is the belief Leaf Nation had in him.

Gilmour was the NHL's 7th leading scorer in the league back then.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Leafs had Dougie Gilmour back then, and with him nearly all things were possible. At least that is the belief Leaf Nation had in him.

Gilmour was the NHL's 7th leading scorer in the league back then.
Phil Kessel was the NHL's 7th leading scorer in the league in 2013, and 6th in 2012.