HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Mastercard Memorial Cup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
  #51
Frankenrogers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Define 'next best.' The last two teams before the finals lose at the same stage of the playoffs.
No not playoffs, regular season. For this format three from each league are getting in (four for the league with the host team). If we take the 2013 WHL for example, the Top 6 regular season finishers in order were:
Portland
Edmonton
Kelowna
Kamloops
Calgary
Saskatoon

Based on the criteria for the 10 team finals, in the WHL we have:
Regular Season Winner: Portland
WHL Playoff Champion: Portland
WHL Playoff Runner Up: Edmonton
Host Team: Saskatoon

As host, Saskatoon was getting in regardless of where they placed this year in regular season or playoffs.
Portland by virtue of winning the regular season gets in.
That leaves the playoff winner (Portland) and runner up (Edmonton). Portland was already in by virtue of being first so that leaves one open spot as a wild card of sorts.

Going down the Top 6, we can bypass Edmonton (as they were playoff runner up) and we then get 3rd place finisher Kelowna as the wild card. While this scenario makes it easy with the top three regular season getting in, that wouldn't always necessarily be the case.

If Calgary had defeated Edmonton in the conference final, then Calgary is in as runner up and so going down the list would give us Edmonton as the wild card.

If, as host, Saskatoon had come in first overall, or as a finalist, then we would go down the regular season list as well.

If the final had been Kamloops and Calgary then, even at 2nd place in the regular season, Edmonton would be outside looking in.

It leaves room for some intrigue while rewarding those who saw success in the regular season and playoffs. The Host still gets in but at 10 teams, they still better be good to advance.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but the more that I think about this, the more that I like the 10 team Cup Final.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
  #52
optimus2861
Registered User
 
optimus2861's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bedford NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
Going down the Top 6, we can bypass Edmonton (as they were playoff runner up) and we then get 3rd place finisher Kelowna as the wild card.
Sucks for Kamloops, who swept Kelowna in the second round of the playoffs. I'd be much more inclined to use the playoff finish of the teams rather than the regular season finish to determine who gets the extra berths. If you stink out the joint in the playoffs, you ought not have any right to be contesting the national championship.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:41 PM
  #53
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
No not playoffs, regular season. For this format three from each league are getting in (four for the league with the host team). If we take the 2013 WHL for example, the Top 6 regular season finishers in order were:
Portland
Edmonton
Kelowna
Kamloops
Calgary
Saskatoon

Based on the criteria for the 10 team finals, in the WHL we have:
Regular Season Winner: Portland
WHL Playoff Champion: Portland
WHL Playoff Runner Up: Edmonton
Host Team: Saskatoon

As host, Saskatoon was getting in regardless of where they placed this year in regular season or playoffs.
Portland by virtue of winning the regular season gets in.
That leaves the playoff winner (Portland) and runner up (Edmonton). Portland was already in by virtue of being first so that leaves one open spot as a wild card of sorts.

Going down the Top 6, we can bypass Edmonton (as they were playoff runner up) and we then get 3rd place finisher Kelowna as the wild card. While this scenario makes it easy with the top three regular season getting in, that wouldn't always necessarily be the case.

If Calgary had defeated Edmonton in the conference final, then Calgary is in as runner up and so going down the list would give us Edmonton as the wild card.

If, as host, Saskatoon had come in first overall, or as a finalist, then we would go down the regular season list as well.

If the final had been Kamloops and Calgary then, even at 2nd place in the regular season, Edmonton would be outside looking in.

It leaves room for some intrigue while rewarding those who saw success in the regular season and playoffs. The Host still gets in but at 10 teams, they still better be good to advance.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but the more that I think about this, the more that I like the 10 team Cup Final.
Good God. There's nothing like setting up a playoff format where it takes the average fan 5 minutes and a cup of coffee to work out who all will make the tournament. Can we bring the BCS in to consult?

Still, doing well in the regular season already gives you an advantage towards qualifying for the Memorial Cup, in that it paves an easier path through the playoffs.

Finishing first overall during the regular season isn't even banner material. Nobody cares about winning the Jean Rougeau trophy.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:45 PM
  #54
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Sucks for Kamloops, who swept Kelowna in the second round of the playoffs. I'd be much more inclined to use the playoff finish of the teams rather than the regular season finish to determine who gets the extra berths. If you stink out the joint in the playoffs, you ought not have any right to be contesting the national championship.
**Cough**0-4**Cough**Saskatoon**Cough**

I mean, I suppose I wouldn't complain if Kelowna made it, given that they're nominally my favourite WHL team, but it would still be pretty stupid to let them in over Kamloops. The regular season is about proving that you're good enough to make the playoffs, and developing the chemistry you need to win in the playoffs.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  #55
fatkidfromcanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
yeah, they lost out early....and then went 1-2 9GF 9GA, beating the top team in the country, losing to the 2nd and 3rd by a goal and 2 goals....seems to me they aren't out of place here.

fatkidfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  #56
timekeep
Registered User
 
timekeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,316
vCash: 500
Thrower gone for the rest of the tournament.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...183655957.html

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
  #57
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkidfromcanada View Post
yeah, they lost out early....and then went 1-2 9GF 9GA, beating the top team in the country, losing to the 2nd and 3rd by a goal and 2 goals....seems to me they aren't out of place here.
Of course not. They're still a major junior calibre team, and one that's coming off of 52 days at the spa resting and getting healthy. Meanwhile, the other three teams had to go through the grind of long playoff runs.

I bet the Kingston Frontenacs would be competitive if they were inexplicably granted a berth after resting up for two months. It's a joke that a team that went 0-4 in the playoffs has the right to play for the national championship in a crap-shoot tournament.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
  #58
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,162
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Of course not. They're still a major junior calibre team, and one that's coming off of 52 days at the spa resting and getting healthy. Meanwhile, the other three teams had to go through the grind of long playoff runs.

I bet the Kingston Frontenacs would be competitive if they were inexplicably granted a berth after resting up for two months. It's a joke that a team that went 0-4 in the playoffs has the right to play for the national championship in a crap-shoot tournament.
Agreed.

If we used an NHL example. It would be like having the Penguins, Bruins and Rangers grind it out for 2 months in four best of seven series.

Then taking those teams and parachuting the Islanders into a Best on Best tournament for a Championship. The Islanders having a ton of rest could definitely challenge for a handful of games but over a 7 game series or maybe 5-10 games if they were to advance to the second round a weak team would run out of gas.

The point of the playoffs is to have the cream rise to the top.

The format for the Memorial Cup isn't usually representative of the best teams in the CHL. However, no other solutions exist unless you want to make radical changes to either the leagues as a whole or the playoff structure. I don't think the CHL has a appetite for that in my lifetime.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
  #59
Drop The Mits
Toronto Blue Dingers
 
Drop The Mits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Thrower gone for the rest of the tournament.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...183655957.html
looked like it was to the chest. terrible suspension

Drop The Mits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:08 PM
  #60
pmedguy
Welcome back#87
 
pmedguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Smackdown Hotel Rm39
Country: Canada
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
looked like it was to the chest. terrible suspension
You should watch the game in HD instead of on rabbit ears. It was clearly a headshot. At least the suspension fit the crime for once. Leier is gone for tournament, hopefully he will recover from this injury and have a long hockey career.

pmedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:42 PM
  #61
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
The point of the playoffs is to have the cream rise to the top.
Well, after all that, the Blades finish dead last in the Memorial Cup.

Fitting, really...

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:37 AM
  #62
go_leafs_go02
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,784
vCash: 695
By far the worst Memorial Cup I can ever remember (this goes back to 2004 or so).

Blades are awful, the rink is half empty and lacks atmosphere.

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:43 AM
  #63
TheTechNoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
I was happy to see Portland win last night so Halifax punches their ticket to the finals. I predict Portland and Halifax final.
Indeed... I've been hoping for this since the start of the season... It's going to be surreal watching it live.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:53 AM
  #64
Alerion
Get the Can Opener
 
Alerion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
By far the worst Memorial Cup I can ever remember (this goes back to 2004 or so).

Blades are awful, the rink is half empty and lacks atmosphere.
This. The home team didn't even draw 8000 people last night in an elimination game.

Alerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 06:51 AM
  #65
HFX902
Registered User
 
HFX902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
So maybe 5000 people to the finials?

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:05 AM
  #66
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,213
vCash: 500
I don't get why Halifax hasn't gotten a Memorial Cup yet. I'm back in Toronto now but lived in Halifax for 5 years or so, and the atmosphere is always great. Seriously, the MC would be sold out for every game IMO.

On another note, why did Fournier not get drafted? I've always been impressed by him, how did he not get taken even in later rounds?

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 11:49 AM
  #67
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
I don't get why Halifax hasn't gotten a Memorial Cup yet. I'm back in Toronto now but lived in Halifax for 5 years or so, and the atmosphere is always great. Seriously, the MC would be sold out for every game IMO.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:38 PM
  #68
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,213
vCash: 500
Thanks for posting something I already knew.

I meant given their recent success, proven ability to host events (like the Canada/Russia Challenge) with great success, they should be given the opportunity to host it again soon. Obviously the earliest would be 2015.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:55 PM
  #69
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Thanks for posting something I already knew.

I meant given their recent success, proven ability to host events (like the Canada/Russia Challenge) with great success, they should be given the opportunity to host it again soon. Obviously the earliest would be 2015.
Halifax had it in 2000.

Assuming they can get a good team together for 2015, I think we should be looking at either Chicoutimi or Saint John for 2015.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
  #70
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
As an aside, does anyone know how small of an arena they would consider for the Memorial Cup?

I think it's kind of a shame that Val-d'Or and Rouyn-Noranda will likely never even have a chance.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  #71
HFX902
Registered User
 
HFX902's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
I would think Saint John would be next on the list for the QMJHL.

HFX902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:21 PM
  #72
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!
 
Taoiseach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX902 View Post
I would think Saint John would be next on the list for the QMJHL.
I would tend to agree, however I think everyone is going to start being really careful about choosing a competitive host. If Saint John doesn't appear to have a championship calibre team, their bid may not win.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:21 PM
  #73
GoKnightsGo
Rookie User
 
GoKnightsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Why the heck doesn't Sportnet have the game tonight streaming online tonight??

GoKnightsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:45 PM
  #74
TheQNews
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Portland will face Halifax in the MasterCard Memorial Cup Final. Top 3 NHL Draft prospects will showcase their skills.

Winterhawks beat the Knights 2-1. The first period was pretty dull with no goals nor any penalties. The game got more interesting from the second period on. Both goalies played their best game of the tournament.

You can check out our live blog for a recap of the game: http://theqnews.ca/?p=1641

TheQNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 11:02 AM
  #75
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,898
vCash: 1004
Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.