HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can any coach get through to Leino?

Old
12-10-2013, 12:33 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Can any coach get through to Leino?

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...ants-from-him/

Quote:
Leino understands player that haven’t been scoring are candidates to sit.“Everybody knows that’s going to have to happen,” he said. “Saying that, there are a lot of other guys that haven’t score, either.”Leino added: “I’ve been playing the game the way I’ve always been playing it. Just hasn’t gone in. I had a lot of good scoring chances. Sometimes it doesn’t go your way.”
I want this guy bought out so fast....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I wonder if it's more likely that the Sabres find a trade partner for Leino, and retain 50%... 2.25 for Leino, for 3 years is probably pretty attractive to teams....

they need to reach that cap floor...

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:48 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I wonder if it's more likely that the Sabres find a trade partner for Leino, and retain 50%... 2.25 for Leino, for 3 years is probably pretty attractive to teams....

Whatever.

I hated the signing the day it happened. But, I think I hate it even worse today.

Old
12-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Sniper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post

He honestly has no clue why he is sitting........which is actually pretty troublesome!!

Sniper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 12:52 PM
JPurp26

We need to cut ties soon or at the end of the year with CBO. I rather massively overpay for Callahan in free agency to get to the floor than pay this guy.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
We need to cut ties soon or at the end of the year with CBO. I rather massively overpay for Callahan in free agency to get to the floor than pay this guy.
I'm all for paying Callahan 2 years $20M to get Leino out of here.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:07 PM
JPurp26

Quote:

Than hopefully when we go to resign him we are a playoff team and we can resign him to a realistic deal

Old
12-10-2013, 01:09 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Than hopefully when we go to resign him we are a playoff team and we can resign him to a realistic deal
My thoughts exactly.

If they want to go young, they need high priced vets to get to the floor. I would look into paying through the nose for quality mentors like Callahan, but go with shorter deals.

Iginla, the Gionta brothers, and a few other guys are all candidates for overpayment on 1 or 2 year deals to get to the floor and surround the kids with quality vets.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
Pack him in bubble wrap, put him in storage at FNC and don't open him back up until summer 2015.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 01:21 PM
JPurp26

PMB just got waived, if his mouth continues we can put him there to make a point and show the youngsters that is not professional or what Buffalo will strive for.

Old
12-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Leino understands player that haven’t been scoring are candidates to sit.“Everybody knows that’s going to have to happen,” he said. “Saying that, there are a lot of other guys that haven’t score, either.”Leino added: “I’ve been playing the game the way I’ve always been playing it. Just hasn’t gone in. I had a lot of good scoring chances. Sometimes it doesn’t go your way.”
Clearly, he doesn't grasp the problem. We always hear guys who get tons of scoring chances lament unlucky bounces, hot goalies or missed rebounds for going cold when they're not scoring - but how in the world can Leino delude himself into thinking he's just unlucky and getting scoring chances when he's mustered a measly 12 shots in 18 games? He obviously looks to pass first on 90% of his forays into the offensive zone....

Quote:

Quote:
Whatever.

I hated the signing the day it happened. But, I think I hate it even worse today.
...which is why I feel the same way. From the first week of training camp in 2011, when Leino's complaints about not wanting to play center despite apparently leading the Sabres to believe during the contract talks that it was his natural position, he's struck me as a primadonna who looks for easy ways out and tries to shift blame onto others (Ruff/Rolston/Nolan for Leino not being given a fair chance or enough PP/ice time; or any his former/current teammates to explain the losing culture that's crept into the roster) to downplay his own inability to perform as expected.

When the signing happened, I had the distinct feeling that Regier was only exchanging one overpaid underachiever for another in letting Connolly walk away in free agency and essentially replacing him with Leino - all on the evidence of one playoff run Leino had. To think that they saw Leino as an acceptable consolation prize after backing down from the Richards derby just makes it more annoying to think back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

If Pegula puts aside his admiration for Leino (I remember him saying in summer 2011 that Leino was praised as the hardest-working player in Finland during his playing time there) and lets Lafontaine/Nolan decide his fate, I can definitely see the Sabres taking this approach....

Quote:
...and would love it if Pegula instead gives Callahan a blank check this coming summer, assuming the Rangers are dumb enough to let their captain test free agency.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Whatever.

with 3 years left, and plenty of options to rid ourselves of it.... i hate it a lot less today, than I did the day it happened

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:19 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If Pegula puts aside his admiration for Leino (I remember him saying in summer 2011 that Leino was praised as the hardest-working player in Finland during his playing time there) and lets Lafontaine/Nolan decide his fate, I can definitely see the Sabres taking this approach....
If the Ruff, Regier, and Rolston (to a lesser extent) firings have shown me anything, it's that Pegula isn't above owning up to a mistake. He speaks from the heart and appears to be a little too close to his people, but he is still able to cut the cord when necessary. Sometimes, it just takes him a bit longer to come to terms with it. With Leino, he has already overstayed his welcome, so on cue, Pegula should be willing to part ways with the guy. I agree and hope that Tpegs does give the new GM the final say in who stays and goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
...and would love it if Pegula instead gives Callahan a blank check this coming summer, assuming the Rangers are dumb enough to let their captain test free agency.
This would be the best move front office could make all off season. What is the likelihood that Callahan walks and the Sabres are an actual player in the Cally Sweepstakes?

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:22 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Does the CBA have a limit on how much a team can pay a player per year? I mean, an obnoxious example like paying player X 15 million a year over two years. I know about the term limits in regards to years. But yearly salary?

I have faith Leino will be gone before next September.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
Quote:
I've been wondering... whats stopping the Sabres from signing some lucky fan to a 1 year, $10 million player contract to get to the floor, then suspend the fan for not reporting to camp. I think in that case the money counts towards the cap, but you don't have to use a roster spot on them.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Does the CBA have a limit on how much a team can pay a player per year? I mean, an obnoxious example like paying player X 15 million a year over two years. I know about the term limits in regards to years. But yearly salary?

I don't know if it's in the current CBA but the last one had "franchise player" tag that, I think was 20% of the cap.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:29 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:

I think it might be 20% of the total cap? There's some rule.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:36 PM
sjci

vCash: 207
Quote:

And I'm pretty sure there's a rule that states how much you can scale down the salary every year, something to prevent teams from totally front loading a contract and then adding 3 years at small a small salary to lower the cap (a la Kovy, Ehrhoff, etc)

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:56 PM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper45 View Post
He honestly has no clue why he is sitting........which is actually pretty troublesome!!
Nolan needs to paint him a picture and then sing a song for him in order for Leino to get it.

Last edited by 26CornerBlitz: 12-10-2013 at 03:36 PM.
26CornerBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:

The maximum is 20% of the upper limit, or ~$14.2m this summer.

As for Leino, as much as I don't like him and previously wanted to see him bought out, this team needs money and that money should preferably be dead weight, so Leino fits perfectly.
He'll be gone by the time this team is going to have a sniff at doing anything anyways.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:04 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:

Can we trade him to Finland ?

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:06 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Or sign him, and then trade him at next year's deadline for another first rounder

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Can we trade him to Finland ?
If not, can we just give him to Finland?!

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 03:33 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Or sign him, and then trade him at next year's deadline for another first rounder
Sounds like NHL on Xbox

Old
12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Lame-o u blow

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote