Brandon vs Kelowna

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinghorse
If Brandon played in the west division I am afraid they would have been hard pressed to make the playoffs never mind the WHL finals...
In three years reading posts on hfboards, this is the most uneducated and ignorant sentance I've seen. And there are a lot of whacky things said around these parts.

Old
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Ogopogo*

Amazing. The Wheat Kings had more scoring chances in the first 17 seconds tonight than in 2 games in Kelowna.

Perhaps they really are a hockey team?

Go Rockets!

Old
05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote of the night from Bill Wilms: "That was, without a doubt, the Wheat Kings' best penalty kill of the game."

Well, yeah, seeing as it was their first penalty kill of the night.

Old
05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Tricolore#20

Goal Rockets... 3-2

50 secs left

Let's go Rockets!

Old
05-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Tricolore#20

Aaargh, Wheaties win. Great game by Eric Fehr. Did you guys see that pass to Monych, in the air?

Old
05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
The Wheaties hold on for the 3-2 win.

Thye played heads and shoulders better than they did in Kelowna and IMO played one of their best games of the playoffs. They held off the initial storm of offense from Kelowna in the first period (Kelowna had 10 shots and a goal in the first 5 mins.) and got a huge goal on a fantastic individual effort from Later to spark the team. I really thought that was the turning point in the game (maybe the series) and you could just feel the Wheaties spirits being lifted after that goal. Monych then scored 19 seconds later to make the game 2-1. Fehr scored near the end of the second on another good individual effort to give the Wheaties some insurance, which they did need as Kelowna scored with under a minute left in the third period.

Why did Brandon win?

Their key players stood up and took some responsibility. I thought tonite was Later's best game of the playoffs (great dangles on some smart rushes, new when to jump into the play, kept his composure and didn't act like a dumbass), I thought this was one of Fehr's best games of the playoffs and the third and fourth lines also played great in particular Ryan Reaves who must of had around 15 hits tonite.

They outhit and outworked Kelowna. Brandon actually beat Kelowna to the majority of the loose pucks in this game and won the majority of the individual battles. They had an excellent forecheck tonite which really wore on the Kelowna d-men. The whole Wheaties team physically punished Kelowna, finishing all their checks, and by the end of the game you could tell the Rockets d-men were a tad hesitant to retrieve pucks from behind their net.

Most importantly, the Wheaties controlled the area in front of their net. This was their achilles heal in the first two games but tonite they tied up their men, cleared the rebounds and generally, unlike the first two games, Plante only had to make the first stop rather then the first four stops.

I expect the Rockets to come out harder tommorow though, so the Wheats better be ready.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:36 PM
allin4466

alright ive got my padding on because im about to go off on a bit of a tangent here.

I kind of brushed aside the talk of Kelowna talking tough but not backing it up. Wow is it true, so many times tonight, the Kelowna player would stand there and beak the brandon player, but as soon as the brandon player made a move towards the kelowna player, it was duck behind the ref.

However, I can see how Kelowna is a successful team, they DO NOT give up on pucks. There were many times tonight, when brandon would seemingly have full control of the puck, but kelowna doesnt back down.. they pressure and pressure and pressure the D until a mistake is made(this is why Jon Webb needs to find aseat ont he bench ASAP)

Later => million times better tonight
Fehr => Pretty dominant again, very nice to see
Plante =>Simply amazing

The crowd in Brandon tonight was embarassing, 4500 in a 5010 seat arena that can hold 6000 at capacity. Was actually quite loud and rowdy in there tonight, maybe they can keep the beers at 4 bucks a pop.

Anyways, Brandon actually won some faceoffs tonight, and they HIT THE HELL out Kelowna tonight, stone was a wrecking ball out there which is nice to see again. He understands that he doesnt need to go all crazy cuz hes not producing a lot right now, he goes out there and plays a different role, and eventually the points will come.

Reffing: so so. There were a few times when brandon had that 5 on 3 that kelowna could have been called for about 3-4 more penalties. That said, the ref also let a few blatant calls against brandon go.

Overall: Keep it up and maybe we can go back to kelowna up 3-2 or at least with a few wins at home.

Hopefully tonight will be a sold out crowd.

PS: just out of curiosity, doesnt that frigging smiley thing look a little "feminine" for a hockey team when they are showing 5000 fans waving those faces and the big smiley faces all over the place? i mean there is a story behind it, but blah.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Big Deaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
(this is why Jon Webb needs to find aseat ont he bench ASAP)
Agreed, he was really scary out there tonite. Do you think Yeo would be steadier then him? I know the Wheats shouldnt put Courchene out there because he is even scarier. I wish the Wheats had one more steady d-man who could eat minutes.

It's a good thing we got Zulyniak though, he's really impressed me, brought a calming influence to the Brandon D.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
allin4466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deaner
Agreed, he was really scary out there tonite. Do you think Yeo would be steadier then him? I know the Wheats shouldnt put Courchene out there because he is even scarier. I wish the Wheats had one more steady d-man who could eat minutes.

It's a good thing we got Zulyniak though, he's really impressed me, brought a calming influence to the Brandon D.
oh man, he(webb) gets caught flatfooted at HIS OWN blueline.. or in the second tonight.. right in front of the visitors bench.. the puck got flipped over him.. he missed the puck and his man and the guy broke in alone on plante..

I think Yeo would be a better fit, but he is a rookie and this is crunch time... i dont really know what McCrimmon sees in webb

Zulyniak you dont really notice out there, which is usually a good thing for Brandon D .. hes just a rocksteady force back there, doesnt make flashy plays.. follows the KISS theory, which is what the d-men need to do

Old
05-11-2005, 12:02 AM
sbtatter

Plante, Later, Fehr, Reaves and Stone (apart from faceoffs) were great tonight.
On the odd occasion Brandon win a face off, Kelowna just force them and either win the puck back or force Brandon to dump it, Brandon have to figure out how to break out of their zone with the puck.
Hopefully the win gives Brandon some confidence, b/c I fear that the Rockets will convert some of those chances tomorrow.
Reaves was back to his wrecking machine best, Fehr put in a good hardworking effort finally and Later kept his cool....
Small crowd, I know lots of people who chose not to go, got to wonder about the support......

Old
05-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Captain Leaf

Go Wheaties ..atta sew some seeds of doubt in the Rockets windrow minds....spit some chaff in Kelownas faces....Pound the Rockets into flour....Harvest the WHL title .....reap the rewards of a memorial cup title .

Old
05-11-2005, 12:37 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

any word on when yeomans is expected back?

Old
05-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Big Deaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
any word on when yeomans is expected back?
Last I heard he went for an MRI, the Rockets, as any team would, are keeping his status top secret and are utilizing the ever-ambiguous 'lower body injury' tag.

Old
05-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
PS: just out of curiosity, doesnt that frigging smiley thing look a little "feminine" for a hockey team when they are showing 5000 fans waving those faces and the big smiley faces all over the place? i mean there is a story behind it, but blah.
LMFAO- my thoughts exactly.......I find that i am one of the only ppl not holding up a smiley face......wtf is up with a smiley face.......why couldnt it have been a picture of a gun or a pirate.....should have made up some better story cuz the smiley thing is the least intimidating thing in the world.

Old
05-11-2005, 01:32 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
With the system that Kelowna plays, the parts are interchangeable.

Many thought Kelowna would struggle when they lost players like Kiel McLeod, Josh Gorges, Kelly Guard and Jesse Schultz but the team keeps right on rolling. The system works and guys like Cumiskey and Ofukany will fill the gap quite nicely.
That is right anyone can play a trap.......just ask the hacks that play in new jersey.

ps wtf did mosienko learn to take draws.......that little elf never loses a faceoff.

Old
05-11-2005, 08:41 AM
sbtatter

Mosienko is awesome on the draw, I didn't realize how tiny he is!!
It was interesting to see how the Rockets reacted to being hit, they didn't like it and reacted a lot, sometimes taking a penalty, Brandon need to keep that up.
The Rockets attack as a group of 5, they break out and there is no gap between the forwards and defence, impressive. They pass quickly and crisply, often working a forward behind the defence at the blue line. Did anyone see in the 2nd, a Rocket get behing the defence and have a breakaway, then of all people, Reaves out skated him, got back and lifted his stick and took the puck away, beautiful from the big guy!!
Later's goal was a thing of beauty, did you all see that back hand go top corner??? How about Stone taking some big runs at Phalin, Stone's the heart and soul of the Wheaties..
Everything Brandon did last night, they have to do better tonight, b/c sometimes last night Kelowna were skating and passing around them as if they were pylons.. Go Wheaties!
By the way, I don't hold up a smiley face!!!! But I do wear white!

Old
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3
That is right anyone can play a trap.......just ask the hacks that play in new jersey.

ps wtf did mosienko learn to take draws.......that little elf never loses a faceoff.

LOL. Never seen the Rockets play, have you?

Old
05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Ogopogo*

I must say that I am shocked. For a team that had no pulse in game one or game two, the Wheat Kings actually showed up to play. I certainly can't see them winning the series and I am not convinced that they will win another game but, good for them to not just roll over and die.

What is going on with attendance? Kootenay couldn't sell out the conference finals and Brandon can't sell out the finals. I thought Brandon was a good hockey town, perhaps I was mistaken. Kelowna has sold out every game for as long as I can remember, (I have lived in Kelowna for three hockey seasons) televised playoff games included. If people are saving their $20 by staying at home to watch on TV, that tells me that they aren't great hockey fans.

Last edited by Ogopogo*: 05-11-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old
05-11-2005, 01:12 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
What is going on with attendance? Kootenay couldn't sell out the conference finals and Brandon can't sell out the finals. I thought Brandon was a good hockey town, perhaps I was mistaken. Kelowna has sold out every game for as long as I can remember, (I have lived in Kelowna for three hockey seasons) televised playoff games included. If people are saving their $20 by staying at home to watch on TV, that tells me that they aren't great hockey fans.
The attendance was poor no doubt. One of the reasons is that the local community is largely driven by agriculture, and this is a busy time. seeding etc. Normally my company will bring at least 100 people to the playoff games, but yesterday we could only get 50 in, the rest were busy picking up seed and seeding etc.... I'd still like to see the people living in town show up though....

Old
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3

still on that trap crap, some day you will learn the difference between a trap and good defensive hockey

i will call you out here, what is a trap little kid? your reputation is on the line.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
What is going on with attendance? Kootenay couldn't sell out the conference finals and Brandon can't sell out the finals.
The Seattle crowds weren't very good, either. Kind of makes you wonder where the WHL attendance would have been this season without the advantage of having the NHL not playing.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM
allin4466

truthfully, this will be game #11 in brandon tonight, and I dont think a ton of people can afford to pay 45$ for two tickets to go to a game, sad reality but hey, like sbtatter said, its a large agribusiness town, and they are busy, plus it was a weeknight etc etc, fridays game 5 is already sold out i beleive. My boss went to go get tickets at 9:15 today and couldnt get 3 tickets together for fridays game.

Old
05-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
LOL. Never seen the Rockets play, have you?
Many times unfortunately......this is the first year that they havent been absolutely boring......only reason they arent is because they work so hard......Weber is going to wear out playing 40+ mins per game though......last years and the year before were both extremely trap teams.....this year they still trap just not quite as much.

Old
05-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

1-0 Kelowna after 1 ... Shea Weber from Tyler Spurgeon and Brent Howarth

Old
05-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

ugh ... defensive deflection/own goal 1 all