HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pascal Dupuis: Legitimate Selke candidate?

Old
05-02-2013, 11:09 AM
SidsBackhand

vCash: 500
Pascal Dupuis: Legitimate Selke candidate?

Pascal Dupuis may be the quietest success in hockey right now. The only thing that is ordinary about Pascal is his FO% (47%). While leading the league in plus/minus, which in some cases I think is a garbage stat but not in this case, he scored 38 points. Guess how many of those points were scored on the man-advantage? Exactly three. All while maintaining 26 PIMs. Finished the regular season with 36 blocked shots and 140 shots on goal.

The numbers however can only paint a vague picture. This guy always makes the smart play and always hustles as hard as anyone you'll see in the National Hockey League. He's the first guy to dump and chase to let his line mates get off the ice, and he gets to the puck more often than not. Seems to get more tenacious as the game goes on. He logs big minutes on the first PK unit as well. As a forward, he blocks shots with zero hesitancy and is extremely skilled at puck protection along the boards.

The most telling thing of all though is when the Penguins have a one-goal lead. There's always one constant: Pascal Dupuis is ALWAYS out on the ice. The coaching staff trusts him more than any other forward on the team defensively. He's a coaches dream. In the shadows where most can't see, that's where he goes to battle; That's where he thrives. That's what he sweats for, what he bleeds for. To be the overlooked force that can alter the course of any game.

I know he probably won't win, but he should at least be in the discussion. I believe he has earned that right.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
It's not hard to lead plus or minus category when you play in between lines with Crosby and Malkin. Having such a stacked team ruins stats like +/- meaning. Not to take away from what else he does though...

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

No, keep him out of discussion for any and all awards.

You do realize the Pens have to re-sign him, right?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Atren

I like Dupuis on Penguins, but there are some problems before going over his perfomance.

He is winger (just like Hossa) so by default he will not win regardless of rest. Not to mention he is not house hold name and there is no lack of capable centers for the trophy.

Atren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:17 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidsBackhand View Post
Pascal Dupuis may be the quietest success in hockey right now. The only thing that is ordinary about Pascal is his FO% (47%). While leading the league in plus/minus, which in some cases I think is a garbage stat but not in this case, he scored 38 points. Guess how many of those points were scored on the man-advantage? Exactly three. All while maintaining 26 PIMs. Finished the regular season with 36 blocked shots and 140 shots on goal.

The numbers however can only paint a vague picture. This guy always makes the smart play and always hustles as hard as anyone you'll see in the National Hockey League. He's the first guy to dump and chase to let his line mates get off the ice, and he gets to the puck more often than not. Seems to get more tenacious as the game goes on. He logs big minutes on the first PK unit as well. As a forward, he blocks shots with zero hesitancy and is extremely skilled at puck protection along the boards.

The most telling thing of all though is when the Penguins have a one-goal lead. There's always one constant: Pascal Dupuis is ALWAYS out on the ice. The coaching staff trusts him more than any other forward on the team defensively. He's a coaches dream. In the shadows where most can't see, that's where he goes to battle; That's
where he thrives. That's what he sweats for, what he bleeds for. To be the overlooked force that can alter the course of any game.

I know he probably won't win, but he should at least be in the discussion. I believe he has earned that right.

Sorry. I can think of about 10 defensive minded forwards that I'd place above that guy.

Agree to disagree.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:21 AM
SidsBackhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
No, keep him out of discussion for any and all awards.

You do realize the Pens have to re-sign him, right?
I am dreading this offseason.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:27 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Doubt it. He's very good defensively but not exceptional, and his offensive stats and +/- are a function of the team he plays for.

But then again, knowing how the Selke works I wouldn't be surprised if he did win.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:34 AM
qc

vCash: 2000
36 blocked shots and 29 takeaways... meh. One of my favorite players, but I don't see it.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
The Selke is 90% reputation based. I'd bet on Kesler before Dupuis.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
He's got pretty solid advanced stats. High CORSI rel qualcomp, low ozone start, low GAON/60 but his absurdly high CORSI rel qualteam hurts his case a little as does his lower numbers in more traditionally viewed stats like blocks and takeaways

05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Jesus Vitale
Formerly CPZ17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
He's got pretty solid advanced stats. High CORSI rel qualcomp, low ozone start, low GAON/60 but his absurdly high CORSI rel qualteam hurts his case a little as does his lower numbers in more traditionally viewed stats like blocks and takeaways
im willing to bet no one who votes on the Selke have any idea what those are. just sayin'...

Jesus Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Trap Jesus

Nope. That +/- is a result of him being on the ice for more ES goals than anyone in the league (as a result of playing with Crosby) not because of Selke-worthy defensive play. Honestly, he pales in comparison to some of the top names for that award and it starts with him not being a center. Way more defensive responsibility. And the faceoff percentage you noted for him doesn't matter because he barely takes faceoffs.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Alivesi

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
im willing to bet no one who votes on the Selke have any idea what those are. just sayin'...
Willing to bet most do.

Alivesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 12:28 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atren View Post
I like Dupuis on Penguins, but there are some problems before going over his perfomance.

He is winger (just like Hossa) so by default he will not win regardless of rest. Not to mention he is not house hold name and there is no lack of capable centers for the trophy.
I would tend to agree. For me to think a winger should get a Selke, he would need to perform the function of a shadow, which Dupuis doesn't. Being a very good defensive player at wing doesn't make you Patrice Bergeron in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
Willing to bet most do.
Luckily for you, there's an easy way to find out. Tweet a question about Corsi-close Rel Qualteam to some voters. I'd suggest Don Brennan, Bruce Garrioch, Steve Simmons, Larry Brooks or Gene Collier. See if they answer it or (ignore you)/(say something snarky). My guess is the latter.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
SidsBackhand

Yeah I guess most of you guys are right. It's really hard to argue against Kessel or Bergeron. But for a winger, he's pretty, pretty solid defensively. I just want to see one of the lesser hallowed, heart-and-soul Penguins win an award for once.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:46 PM
16 To Stanley*

Wow do you watch any team outside the Pens. Every thread you start is face palm worthy.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
malks7171*
some

kessel is takin' dis

malks7171* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
xX Hot Fuss

No.

1) he's a winger, not a center

2) he doesn't have the reputation/flashy name of a Toews/Bergeron/Datsyuk that fans and voters associate with great two way play

3) he isn't as good in two way play (or anything) as Toews/Datsyuk/Bergeron are

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
adorno
%!&

#Kessel4Selke

adorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:22 PM
markz*

Pascal Dupuis was better than Patrice Bergeron this season and led the NHL in Plus/Minus.

I think he definitely deserves it this year but there is a bias with these Awards - so he won't win.

markz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Kessel's had this one wrapped up with a pretty bow ever since he started kinda backchecking sometimes

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:56 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Nope.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alivesi View Post
It's not hard to lead plus or minus category when you play in between lines with Crosby and Malkin. Having such a stacked team ruins stats like +/- meaning. Not to take away from what else he does though...
Plus minus means nothing. That I agree with. But he's a fantastic player working along the board and has fantastic fore-check.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
danpantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Pascal Dupuis was better than Patrice Bergeron this season and led the NHL in Plus/Minus.

I think he definitely deserves it this year but there is a bias with these Awards - so he won't win.
He was most definitely not better than Patrice Bergeron. Patrice was the best player on his team, Dupuis was what 4th or 5th on his, probably lower. He did have 6 more points, but he also played 6 more games, and gets to play on lines with offensive juggernauts while bergeron plays on the bruins shutdown line, But is also their best offensive line because of him.

Also Patrice >>>>> Dupuis defensively AINEC

danpantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 03:41 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post

There's so much wrong here.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote