HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mike Commodore tweets "Pierre Mcguire ruins Hockey"

Old
05-02-2013, 11:29 PM
n00bxQb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Kevin Weekes?

NBC broadcasts would be just as passionate and much more insightful if he were between the benches.
You clearly haven't heard Kevin Weekes as a play-by-play announcer.

We western Canadian hockey fans had to endure Mark Lee and Kevin Weekes for over a year on CBC. I've yet to hear anyone say, "You know what I miss? Kevin Weekes doing play-by-play for Canucks games."

He would stumble over his words, deliver complete nonsense, and demonstrate his lack of comprehension when it comes to the word "literally" and how to properly utilize it in a sentence.

Example: "The Vancouver Canucks have literally come out on fire this period!" or "Mason Raymond literally broke his ankles with that move!"

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:36 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Kevin Weekes?

NBC broadcasts would be just as passionate and much more insightful if he were between the benches.
Weekes is about a mile more personable, not weird at all, not creepy at all, but I doubt he's got the knowledge base or the connections (Pierre's seriously plugged in...he's not faking that).

And my own biggest problem with Pierre is his strange love affairs with certain players (Nino Neiderreiter, Chris Kreider, Brayden Schenn). If biases are an issue, Kevin Weekes is a lateral move in that respect, if not worse.

For instance, any time Weekes is analyzing any play in which the goaltender could conceivably be seen in a negative light, he breaks his own back trying to get the tender's.

Stick in the crease barely touching the goaltender's pad while he lets in a softie? Bloody murder says Weekes.

Goalie clears the puck right to a forward on the other team? Forward on goalie's team should have fronted him.

Goalie loses an edge and other team puts it in an open net? Teammates should have cleared the puck before that.

If it's not one of the five guys Pierre's infatuated with, he's good at analysis. Weekes isn't awful at that, but Weekes gets the back of 60 some.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:38 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
You clearly haven't heard Kevin Weekes as a play-by-play announcer.

We western Canadian hockey fans had to endure Mark Lee and Kevin Weekes for over a year on CBC. I've yet to hear anyone say, "You know what I miss? Kevin Weekes doing play-by-play for Canucks games."

He would stumble over his words, deliver complete nonsense, and demonstrate his lack of comprehension when it comes to the word "literally" and how to properly utilize it in a sentence.

Example: "The Vancouver Canucks have literally come out on fire this period!" or "Mason Raymond literally broke his ankles with that move!"
wait...kevin weekes did play-by-play? i've never heard of a former player going the pbp route. thought they usually did color.

maybe that's what you meant. i'm too lazy to google it.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Yeah a commentator/analyst who is really passionate about hockey ruins the game. These people are so stupid.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Exaybachay
Rookie User

Can't stand him.

Exaybachay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:13 AM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

I am 100% behind the big man. There is no place in hockey for Mcguire. For the crap he pulls i'm surprised he's still on tv.

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:21 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Yeah a commentator/analyst who is really passionate about hockey ruins the game. These people are so stupid.
He's worse than any HFBoards poster in terms of homerism. Would you let a die-hard Leaf fan go on for a game in between the benches for NBC? No, cause all you're gonna hear is "OMG KADRI BREAKOUT YEAR SO GOOD" and nobody wants to hear somebody freaking out over one player.

Enthusiasm=/=Homerism=/=being a complete bafoon

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:37 AM
timekeep

It was a happy day when Pierre left TSN for NBC. Glad he doesn't do WJs anymore too.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:54 AM
RayLeeCharles

Can't have a Mike Commodore thread without this pic.

RayLeeCharles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:10 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post
I think people misunderstand Pierre's love of hockey for his love of himself.

His calls and his need to be the center of every call, his constant cutting off and interruptions that take away from the flow of the broadcast. It's up there with Jack Edwards style of commentary. Sometimes as a commentator, you can be too much. The audience isn't there for you, it's there to watch the game.

Countless times I've heard Pierre just start shouting and rambling about facts that really have nothing to do with the game. It's the Pierre McGuire show.
Very well put. If anyone has ever heard this guy talk on radio, he sounds completely different so it's evidently clear that he's trying way too hard on the broadcasts. On radio he is just a besserwisser/armchair GM of epic proportions.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:32 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Pierre McGuire, the person, as far as I can tell, is not Pierre McGuire, the broadcast character. The person could be awesome and smart, but, on a broadcast, he seems to crank it up to an annoyingly fake level and that rubs people the wrong way regardless of his knowledge.

But what seals the deal for me is his abuse of hyperbole. He tries to make some random third-liner out to be the best player in the league at some tiny thing despite the fact that dozens of players are great at it, too.
And then the worst part: he rides those little nuggets of exaggeration all game in an effort to create a story that isn't there. If a team wins 5-2, he needs to tell the story of how a shot-block, when it was 1-1 and the play was even, ultimately won the game; despite the fact that there were 30+ other blocks in the game and those additional four goals were a much bigger deal.

I like the spirit of bringing attention to the less appreciated parts of the game, but I do not respect the way he goes about it. And you can tell that a lot of coaches don't, either. Babcock is especially hilarious in this regard, but Pierre frequently asks leading questions of coaches during games and they basically tell him that has nothing to do with anything.
totally agree

commodore was harsh, but basically right, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrafSk8r12 View Post
seen it before, but it's still great. don't remember mcguire ever saying el kabong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Oh yeah, Mike Commodore. That guy that did absolutely nothing in his hockey career except had funny hair.
he played in the best league in the sport, probably got rich and won the cup in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High And Wide View Post
I'd take John Buccigross + Barry Melrose over Doc Emrick + Pierre. That says something.
i don't like emrick and mcguire, but that seems really extreme.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:27 AM
StringerBell

I like Pierre when he's between the benches doing quick interviews and giving on-ice updates, but he dominates the air too much when he's the main colour guy. I also really like listening to him on the TEAM radio station having his 10-15 minute chats with the guys every couple days. He has a really good grasp of what's going on with most of the teams compared to the other insiders I find.

But as much as I like his input on hockey, if he moved in next door to me my house would be up for sale the next day. I don't care how much his proximity kills the property value, I'm out.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

He's fun to laugh at. Not with, but at. If he were gone, I'd be sad only because I'd have nobody to really laugh at.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:21 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
wait...kevin weekes did play-by-play? i've never heard of a former player going the pbp route. thought they usually did color.

maybe that's what you meant. i'm too lazy to google it.
Behold! It's Darren Pang doing play-by-play.

There are some instances of former players becoming full-time play-by-play announcers: Randy Moller, for example. He began as the Panthers' radio color commentator but was promoted to play-by-play a few years ago.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 05-03-2013 at 05:27 AM.
JetsAlternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:37 AM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
McGuire is the best tv-personality in hockey. No one has as much genuine passion for the game, this guy absolutely loves the game of hockey.
I'll take Darren Pang over Pierre McGuire every day and twice on Sundays. Panger has great passion and isn't remotely creepy or annoying. He doesn't consistently ******* the players he interviews either.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:44 AM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

Commodore is a clown.

But there's some things I dislike about good old Pierre. He's very knowledgeable and insightful, but he really doesn't have to talk about each player's Junior team every time he wants to say something about him. He has that fake chuckle thing when talking about what happened if it's a good play. I can't explain it. He also has an obvious bias towards some players. On some nights I like him, on others I don't.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Guins71

Gary Thorne and Bill Clement.....PLEASE COME BACK.....and bring the ESPN startup music with you.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
SundanceKid

Pierre is indeed the goofiest man in the hockey business right now. He's so bizarre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5zXLZHGI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh0xjmuMUng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSqlktmUrc4

It's amusing as it is disappointing. I'll admit his hockey knowledge is pretty decent so but there are many other people who could easily replace him without making everyone uncomfortable. I was showing the NHL to a friend of mine who isn't into hockey and Pierre behaved so odd that day that my roommate was turned away from hockey...lol. Sad but true. He is not good for the sport.

edit: Oh yeah, it doesn't help that Mike Milbury was adamantly arguing with another NBC sportscaster to a ridiculous length. Very awkward watching two NBC employees argue with personal attacks and loud voices on national TV. Unprofessional

SundanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:12 AM
biffs

Glad that people have at least some respect for Pierre here. he is by far the person who knows the most about every level of hockey from Minor Midget up.

biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:26 AM
RorschachWJK

Mcguire is terrible. I used to put the mute on when I was still living in Canada and watching games with his commentary.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
jnt88

I always enjoy the games more when Pierre is in them. Lots of knowledge and details I wouldnt normally get, and the occasional weirdness is entertaining too.

jnt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Mcguire's a bit strange but he's still one of the best hockey minds in the world, the last thing he does is ruin hockey.

05-03-2013, 08:02 AM
starshockeyfan56

I don't mind Pierre for the most part, though every time he starts telling me what minor league team every single person on the ice played for, I glaze over.

He comes across like he's trying too hard to impress the broadcast team and the viewer with his knowledge of the players. Or, he's hoping that the right GM is listening and is going to hire him to their coaching staff.

starshockeyfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Kulemon

I don't get why people think Pierre is creepy. It's not like the guy invites himself over for thanksgiving and doesn't eat a thing, just licks his fork while staring deeply into your eyes. He just calls a frickin hockey game.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Example: "The Vancouver Canucks have literally come out on fire this period!"
That would literally melt the ice.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote