HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 3 • Finland 4, Germany 3 (OT)

Old
05-03-2013, 05:04 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Do the Preds still hold Philstroms rights ?
I don't think so.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Way to go for not giving Germany any credit. It's not like they are a bunch of amateurs. They all play in solid leagues professionally (+a few NHLers), and they have experience of defeating big teams in the past. They know that when they play top teams they at least have a chance to steal points. It's not even close to being a situation where Finland should beat Germany every time. 2 years ago when Finland won the championship, we barely beat the Germans after a SO, after having scored 3 ridiculous bounce goals (1 own goal, 1 deflection from a helmet, 1 hitting the side of the net bouncing off the goalies butt into the goal. Ring a bell?).

It's obvious that we're supposed to win most games, but it's not actually a huge surprise that Germany stole a point. They've shown before that they can play tight games against top teams and did just that today.

Now onto a different subject. I was actually quite pleased on how some of the new guys played. Savinainen, Koskiranta and Salminen all played really well, all of them looked like KHL calibre players easily. Also our top line was able to score 3 goals and a lot of scoring chances. For an opening game against a team Germany we often seem to have trouble with, I'd say we played pretty ok.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
LOFIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Lol... it was overtime game, were were even losing 2 minutes before end of 3rd.. ofcourse everyone were excited. You guys stop talking bs / bashing germany.. Why are finnish football fans excited when we play 1-1 spain or something even win england, because they shouldn't be with your logic?
Are you seriosly comparing beating Germany in WHC to drawing Spain away in WC qualifying?

LOFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:27 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Are you seriosly comparing beating Germany in WHC to drawing Spain away in WC qualifying?
Who the **** cares? This is ice hockey, so please stay in the subject.

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:38 PM
ugrimugri

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
2 years ago when Finland won the championship, we barely beat the Germans after a SO.
So, the optimist could take tonight's regulation time draw vs GER as an omen (of course, M Koivu would also probably be needed to go all the way again).

---

In this Helsinki group of teams, GER will be really tough to beat also for SVK/USA/RUS and this 1p loss is not a big deal yet.

Last edited by ugrimugri: 05-03-2013 at 05:54 PM.
ugrimugri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Zorkan

I still can't believe the Finn that was celebrating the 2:0 instead of making sure that the puck is behind the line and then it turns out the puck wasn't in... what a tool...

Zorkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:02 PM
SickHandsNoShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Ortio was very shaky and had few terrible decisions that almost costed a goal against.
Do you think he gets another start?

SickHandsNoShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Leinomania

Jesus, what the hell is going on with all this crying. This is a tournament. You drag your butt through to the quarter finals and then you try to win three one game series'. Anything can happen. Few bounces here and there, someone has a smoking hot goalie, individual mistakes from anyone etc. No-one remembers how many points you gathered in the preliminary round. You can't always win your lessers, no pun' intended to any country. First game of the tourney, Germans have always been a hard nut to crack. Smallish margins.

Awesome game which was never gonna be an easy one. Germany played their hearts out and really had a pretty exceptional game. Finland looked very good in my opinion. Even if the Germans would've won, I'd have still been happy with the way the Finns played after that woeful display at the final EHT tournament. Before the tournament I thought that there was a realistic chance that maybe Finland would not be able to qualify to the quarter finals. But they looked pretty damn good to me, above my expectations.

Now the only big concern is yet again that the Germans did have a rather easy time just defending the front of the net and centre in their d-zone. We don't have big cannons on the blueline, or even d-men who can consistently shoot through the first defender and towards the net. And of course we need to get the secondary scoring going and find a decent second line and a second pp unit. Hopefully Raanta is still red hot or/and Ortio comes back from this hardish game and picks it up a notch starting to glow calmness.

Leinomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:28 AM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickHandsNoShot View Post
Do you think he gets another start?
I think so, but if Raanta keeps the form he has had for last three months, maybe only for France/Austria. Especially the latter one as Finland has two games within 24 hours (Russia on Friday evening, Austria on Saturday afternoon)

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Finnpin

1.3 million tv-viewers watched this game in Finland

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Fin9*

Quote: