HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Leafs talk to Crosby about AHL

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2005, 05:21 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Report: Leafs talk to Crosby about AHL

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...30&hubName=nhl

Im all up for Crosby with the baby leafs.

Old
05-06-2005, 05:27 PM
mooseOAK*

The AHL would certainly love it also.

Old
05-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...30&hubName=nhl

Im all up for Crosby with the baby leafs.
Just as long as it's not the bigger Leafs, right?

Old
05-06-2005, 07:59 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

hey maybe if we stopped bugging him so much, he'd sign with us?

Old
05-06-2005, 08:46 PM
MontrealCruiser_83*

It's a great idea from a business standpoint. He'll singlehandedly bring in loads of revenue.

Old
05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealCruiser_83
It's a great idea from a business standpoint. He'll singlehandedly bring in loads of revenue.
I agree. It will bring alot of publicity to the team. It helps Sidney Crosby by getting that much more exposure nationally by playing in the biggest city in Canada.

Old
05-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
I agree. It will bring alot of publicity to the team. It helps Sidney Crosby by getting that much more exposure nationally by playing in the biggest city in Canada.
Now the only thing left after that has been proved is that the next entry draft WEIGHTED systems needs to be rigged because after all as the saying goes:

"Possession is 9/10ths the law" ..

Old
05-06-2005, 10:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Just as long as it's not the bigger Leafs, right?
No way, if the Leafs get Crosby i'll be almost as happy as if the Rangers got him. Im a huge leaf fan as well but im not really into all the prospects thus the reason I really dont post on the board...whenever the NHL season starts up again you'll see me a lot here.

Old
05-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
No way, if the Leafs get Crosby i'll be almost as happy as if the Rangers got him. Im a huge leaf fan as well but im not really into all the prospects thus the reason I really dont post on the board...whenever the NHL season starts up again you'll see me a lot here.
Sweet. Friendly, non-Leaf hating Americans always welcome!

Old
05-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Now the only thing left after that has been proved is that the next entry draft WEIGHTED systems needs to be rigged because after all as the saying goes:

"Possession is 9/10ths the law" ..

Hell whatever team gets the guy is going to have the asterisk that they got a freebee from the league. Why not us? We get all the favoritism from the league don't we?

Old
05-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
Hell whatever team gets the guy is going to have the asterisk that they got a freebee from the league. Why not us? We get all the favoritism from the league don't we?
The thing I was wondering with the old CBA expired and the new one in transition .. and everything at the moment not really governed by anything during this time of uncertainty ..

Why could MLSE not use is financial clout to hire some high priced lawyers that could come up with a binding Personal Services contract similar to Wayne Gretzky to Peter Pocklicton did, that not even the NHL/WHA Merger could not get around in 1979.

You know use some fancy smancy lawyering and legal mumble jumble to come up with a binding contract that would keep Crosby's rights with the Leafs post new CBA ..

Right now you have a Canadian kid, undrafted with no league or team owning his rights currently. Technically he is a UFA right now at this point in time .. When a CBA is in place it has rules that prevent this, but not right now IMO ..

Crosby wants to remain in Canada and not be farmed out to some deep south USA team .. So why can nothing be done during this transition time to find a loophole that would not only keep Crosby a Leaf but also logically the contract really shouldn't count towards a Cap figure either . So a front load signing bonus that makes Sidney a very rich young man and then his NHL contract in the NEW NHL very Cap friendly by CBA rules when signed.

They say timing is everything .. Well IMO ..no better time then the present .. What could the NHL do?? .. No one owns his rights - RIGHT NOW !!!

If Crosby took this to a Canadian court to seal the deal, after all he is not fighting the NHL he is a UFA.. It would be in the best interest of Canada itself to keep a national teasure and huge revenue generating asset in Canada and help its Econony .. Almost like Free Trade in reverse..

Warning Rant a head :

Why should a USA city that Crosby does not want to go have a say over his future ?? Canada is the only country (USA aside but they are actually negligible in output) that produces NHL talent and its kids in order to continue their Hockey Careers have to leave their own Home Country against their wishes some times .. Euro drafted players are not obligated to play hockey only for the NHL team that drafts them.. They can play in their home country forever in the Elite Leagues. However here in Canada where Canada produces these kids in the CHL, where fans cheer for them as they represent Canada at the WJC and other international tourneys, fill junior arenas following their progress since they are just youngsters.. Hockey Canada invests time and money and effort in training and education and coaches and then when they magically turn 18 (even without ever opting into a draft) have their NHL rights assigned. With 24 US and only 6 Canadian teams the odds that the top young players stay in Canada is against them. What's up with that ??? Now Lets have some Judge stand up and put an end to it with Crosby ..

Last edited by Mess: 05-06-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old
05-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
The thing I was wondering with the old CBA expired and the new one in transition .. and everything at the moment not really governed by anything during this time of uncertainty ..

Why could MLSE not use is financial clout to hire some high priced lawyers that could come up with a binding Personal Services contract similar to Wayne Gretzky to Peter Pocklicton did, that not even the NHL/WHA Merger could not get around in 1979.

You know use some fancy smancy lawyering and legal mumble jumble to come up with a binding contract that would keep Crosby's rights with the Leafs post new CBA ..

Right now you have a Canadian kid, undrafted with no league or team owning his rights currently. Technically he is a UFA right now at this point in time .. When a CBA is in place it has rules that prevent this, but not right now IMO ..

Crosby wants to remain in Canada and not be farmed out to some deep south USA team .. So why can nothing be done during this transition time to find a loophole that would not only keep Crosby a Leaf but also logically the contract really shouldn't count towards a Cap figure either . So a front load signing bonus that makes Sidney a very rich young man and then his NHL contract in the NEW NHL very Cap friendly by CBA rules when signed.

They say timing is everything .. Well IMO ..no better time then the present .. What could the NHL do?? .. No one owns his rights - RIGHT NOW !!!

If Crosby took this to a Canadian court to seal the deal, after all he is not fighting the NHL he is a UFA.. It would be in the best interest of Canada itself to keep a national teasure and huge revenue generating asset in Canada and help its Econony .. Almost like Free Trade in reverse..

Warning Rant a head :

Why should a USA city that Crosby does not want to go have a say over his future ?? Canada is the only country (USA aside but they are actually negligible in output) that produces NHL talent and its kids in order to continue their Hockey Careers have to leave their own Home Country against their wishes some times .. Euro drafted players are not obligated to play hockey only for the NHL team that drafts them.. They can play in their home country forever in the Elite Leagues. However here in Canada where Canada produces these kids in the CHL, where fans cheer for them as they represent Canada at the WJC and other international tourneys, fill junior arenas following their progress since they are just youngsters.. Hockey Canada invests time and money and effort in training and education and coaches and then when they magically turn 18 (even without ever opting into a draft) have their NHL rights assigned. With 24 US and only 6 Canadian teams the odds that the top young players stay in Canada is against them. What's up with that ??? Now Lets have some Judge stand up and put an end to it with Crosby ..
Man, I like the Leafs, as an American, not my first choice but c'mon. Your rant is completely based on nationality.

"Why should a USA city that Crosby does not want to go have a say over his future ??"

If there is a draft and he's drafted by a US city or any city, there he goes. Also, has he pubically stated any US cities he does not want to go to?

"Hockey Canada invests time and money and effort in training and education and coaches and then when they magically turn 18 (even without ever opting into a draft) have their NHL rights assigned. With 24 US and only 6 Canadian teams the odds that the top young players stay in Canada is against them. What's up with that ??? Now Lets have some Judge stand up and put an end to it with Crosby"

I have no problem with Crosby in any Canadian city or with there being more Canadian teams. I miss Winnipeg and Quebec. I just hope the kid does well wherever he goes. Not worth condemning him for not being on your favorite team. That would be selfish, which you guys take enough of I assume.

Old
05-09-2005, 11:36 AM
sluggo*

Quote:

Right now you have a Canadian kid, undrafted with no league or team owning his rights currently. Technically he is a UFA right now at this point in time .. When a CBA is in place it has rules that prevent this, but not right now IMO
I think the Leafs and Crosbys agent would be stupid not to try something like that, since it would mean the team gets one of the best young prospects ever and said player would probably get a nice payday. Whether or not it would be honored when the new CBA is signed...... thats another issue. Who knows if they would win a legal battle, how much Crosby wants to go through a legal battle, if the Leafs can get a "bone thrown their way" for going along with this lock out etc.....

Old
05-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartigan
I think the Leafs and Crosbys agent would be stupid not to try something like that, since it would mean the team gets one of the best young prospects ever and said player would probably get a nice payday. Whether or not it would be honored when the new CBA is signed...... thats another issue. Who knows if they would win a legal battle, how much Crosby wants to go through a legal battle, if the Leafs can get a "bone thrown their way" for going along with this lock out etc.....
Two days after I posted that .. Crosby's agent took my advice . .

Here is the Article ..

Quote:

Exploring the options

As the NHL lockout drags on, IMG has hired a prominent sports lawyer to examine Sidney Crosby's prospects

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050506_170312_6508

Old
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Two days after I posted that .. Crosby's agent took my advice . .

Here is the Article ..

I agree.. lol.. the leafs are losing and have lost the most in this stupid lockout..

they lost money and almost 1/2 their players.. it's only fair they steal Crosby

Old
05-09-2005, 12:48 PM
BuppY

lol Leafs Deserve Crosby.

Old
05-09-2005, 01:07 PM
bingo_vodun

Quote:

Warning Rant a head :

Agreed, the leafs are the most important team in the entire leauge... we deserve crosby. Then Toronto have done a good job at not having desire, and only hockey passion, we truly are not greedy, selfish. We are simply enjoying hockey.

Hay **** look at that I even have $4 pennies in my pocket, I guess I am four pennies more then some, so many people just throw there pennies away. Wow I sound like a poor man living a rich life, hum go figure. Also I am truly happy you did not say a drunken homeless man, because I am not, I am more sober then most. I like the taste of whine, and whine is life, only I am sure not to abuse it, and to only sip it slowly as it is passion for its taste of bitter sweet.

so for me that is a compliment, I would hate to sound like a stuck up rich kid who has never experienced a day of life of his own. And no I don’t mean you personally, I mean people who copy and past what they read in some book, as there own when it is simple some one else’s. Can’t have love with out hate.

PS: it is not the people I hate, it is that they have not really lived life that I hate, and it is not there fault. They simply don’t know they can.

just have to want to, want to have to wake up, want to open our eyes, want to see, want to hear and want nothing, other then what is real, life.

"What are you going to be when you grow up?"

my answer is happy.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

A leafs fan.

Old
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
I agree.. lol.. the leafs are losing and have lost the most in this stupid lockout..

they lost money and almost 1/2 their players.. it's only fair they steal Crosby
I really don't look at it as stealing ..

First Crosby is making his own choice .. No one has a gun to his head .. He can either accept or reject the offer if he likes ..

From a MLSE point of view they are just following the same formula and business model that makes them the NHL's most successfully profitable and well managed organization.

The lost profits of CBA battles are spilt milk if you like .. But going out and being sharp business people knowing the type of financial windfall this type of move would make, fits their MO to a "T"..

I applaud them for trying to run their business that makes the most sense and in turn realize they have a loyal diehard fan base that they feel needs rewarding by the Leafs icing the best most competitive exciting team money can buy.. In turn those same fans are willing to allow the owners to charge higher prices in order to turn a profit in doing it .. and we would hate to see it go to fans (revenue sharing) in other markets to gain at fans expense for Toronto, via the NHL's agenda.

The Leaf organization (post Ballard) has always paid its players fairly, some jealous fans of other teams would say over paid them.. You don't hear a Leaf player nor MLSE complaining about the partnership they have formed together. This type of mutual respect among players, owners and fans of the Leafs does not go unnoticed and not surprising really that players like Crosby and other players want to work in this environment and under these conditions. This is what gives Toronto a competitive advantage in a CBA that is promoting parity ..

Old
05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgar...4-19a9e303b8d0

"Buried treasure

As we've seen this week, Rick Nash and Dany Heatley are everything that's right about Canadian hockey. Given good health, they could own the sport for a decade.

But Nash and Heatley are also why the NHL is disappearing down the rabbit hole as a pro sport.

You see, the future of the NHL is buried in Columbus, Ohio, and Atlanta, Ga., hockey markets so negligible in media terms that most people in those towns have yet to figure out that the 2004-'05 season wasn't played. To say nothing of Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis buried in Tampa. And with the probability of super prospect Sidney Crosby also being buried in Carolina or Miami, the NHL will have successfully encrypted its future in the boonies, far from the eyes of Madison Avenue or the U.S. networks.

The NHL can stand a Calgary or Tampa Bay having periodic success but it needs a little shake 'n bake in major media centres if it's to prosper when play resumes again (it will resume, won't it?).

Right now: The Rangers? Oh-fer the past decade. Chicago? The 19th century is just dawning on Bill Wirtz's team. The Los Angeles teams? Hey, Disney couldn't get a bucket of Kibble for the Mighty Ducks. So enjoy Nash/Heatley on the big stage in Austria before they disappear again into oblivion.
"

Old
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Get your subscription to the online version of the Calgary Herald:

http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgar...4-19a9e303b8d0

"Cracks forming

in the NHL?

he Maple Leafs are exploring ways to sign Crosby for their new AHL club in Toronto.

They're trying to finesse the CHL contract to allow them to do so. It's just a mater of time till a large market team wonders how to do the same for a free agent such as Jarome Iginla, who becomes a free agent July 1.

Yes, there's an agreement in place for not signing each other's players, but if the season doesn't start in September, all bets are off.

Two-way play

Makes you laugh when the NHL says it won't honour the 2004-'05 player contracts but does want to extend the the rights for unsigned draftees like Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

NHL Veep Bill Daly says they'll grandfather draft rights to protect teams like the Flyers that failed to sign players under the old deal.

C'mon Bill, is a deal a deal or not? And why are you punishing teams such as the Flames who signed Dion Phaneuf to avoid this?
"

Old
05-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
NHL Veep Bill Daly says they'll grandfather draft rights to protect teams like the Flyers that failed to sign players under the old deal.

C'mon Bill, is a deal a deal or not? And why are you punishing teams such as the Flames who signed Dion Phaneuf to avoid this?
"
How are the Flames punished because the Flyers have their draftees' rights grandfathered?

Old
05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
How are the Flames punished because the Flyers have their draftees' rights grandfathered?
Because they signed their picks to retain their rights at the going rate, but now the Flyers want to have their cake and cake-hole filled too.

Old
05-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
That easy Pep

Old CBA to New CBA difference in entry level contracts ..

The Flames a small market team offered Phaneuf the rookie max and unlimited signing bonuses and performance bonuses all of which could make Phaneuf and instant multi millionaire .. and the Flames did this to protect the rights belonging to them as a result of an expiring CBA ..

The frugal Flyers thought is was wiser to offer UFA RJ Umberger the rookie max old CBA and thought Mike Knuble and Turner Stevenson deserved the money more then their own prize prospects, and a little cost saving advantage was theirs to be had by screwing Richards and Carter out of money by now signing them to a new CBA that offers far lower limits then the last .. and they also require the CBA to give them an extension to do it .. and soon will need the NHLPA to agree to it in the new CBA ..

If the Flames knew or believed that same thing as the Flyers then they would have saved a lot of money they can't afford in the first place and also signed Phaneuf to NEW CBA deal if grandfathering of prospects rights was a 100% guarantee .. Calgary was forced to let Conroy go a very important part piece of their playoff run and finacial success as a result to the team to use the money saved on Phaneuf's new contract.

Old
05-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
That easy Pep

Old CBA to New CBA difference in entry level contracts ..

The Flames a small market team offered Phaneuf the rookie max and unlimited signing bonuses and performance bonuses all of which could make Phaneuf and instant multi millionaire .. and the Flames did this to protect the rights belonging to them as a result of an expiring CBA ..

The frugal Flyers thought is was wiser to offer UFA RJ Umberger the rookie max old CBA and thought Mike Knuble and Turner Stevenson deserved the money more then their own prize prospects, and a little cost saving advantage was theirs to be had by screwing Richards and Carter out of money by now signing them to a new CBA that offers far lower limits then the last .. and they also require the CBA to give them an extension to do it .. and soon will need the NHLPA to agree to it in the new CBA ..

If the Flames knew or believed that same thing as the Flyers then they would have saved a lot of money they can't afford in the first place and also signed Phaneuf to NEW CBA deal if grandfathering of prospects rights was a 100% guarantee .. Calgary was forced to let Conroy go a very important part piece of their playoff run and finacial success as a result to the team to use the money saved on Phaneuf's new contract.
I really don't think the difference will be as great as you're suggesting. Certainly not where these would be make-or-break contracts in terms of cap space. You're still going to have bonuses for rookies; we know it'll be less but we don't know how much less as of yet.

We're still only talking about a relative handful of guys that are in this situation anyway...really it's the top 2003 picks that were signed that we're talking about. Not enough bodies to make this a major financial issue, IMO.

I also think that, assuming the Flyers and other teams with unsigned draftees do ultimately get away with not signing them last summer, the Flames will happily take the salary cap system as the greater good in this situation.

Old
05-09-2005, 04:04 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I really don't think the difference will be as great as you're suggesting. Certainly not where these would be make-or-break contracts in terms of cap space. You're still going to have bonuses for rookies; we know it'll be less but we don't know how much less as of yet.

Huge differences in overall salary costs.

Difference could be 2-3 million per year per rookie, for 4 years.

Closed Thread