HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

(4) St. Louis Blues vs. (5) Los Angeles Kings - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Narg98

vCash: 500
I love this series andas a Blues fan living in Montreal, it's alway a thrill to see a game (saw about 20 this year, which is pretty sad), didn't miss anything of the playoff.

But something is bothering me a lot. Sure, Quick is being god like again and has been awsome for the Kings, but GOD do Blues have trouble to finnish their opportunities ! Even if they beat the Kings, I don't see them beating anyone else with that finnish !

Best exemple is Swartz ! The kid has been great since the begening of the playoff, no finish, tons of opportunities. They need to capitalize and that, ASAP !

Old
05-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Kopistar

I think people for get that when teams can't score, it's not because they are unable to score. A lot of times it's the other team playing solid D and not allowing any real scoring chances.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Imagine the score if Bernier was the goalie. That's the difference. Last time he was in net, we scored 4 on him and he got pulled. Quick is just that good.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Narg98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
I think people for get that when teams can't score, it's not because they are unable to score. A lot of times it's the other team playing solid D and not allowing any real scoring chances.
I understand, and no disrespect to the Kings D, I saw A LOT of scoring chance from the Blues. Sometimes, Quick was simply stealing a goal, but most of the time, it was a player missing the net, shooting directly on the goaltender, missing a pass or litteraly missing the puck.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Side note, Blues and Kings are in LA for Cinco de Mayo...I'm sure there's a "dry island" reference to be made here somewhere
It's a non-holiday unless it's on a weekday. If May 5, is a weekday it's a good excuse for everyone to leave work early or take a long lunch.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:56 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

LA is starting to get healthy on the defensive end and they can now limit the play of rookie Muzzin and Ellerby by playing 7 D Men whose defensive lapses have created more opportunities for St. Louis . If Greene comes back, it will allow more offensive upside because the forwards won't have to collapse down in the defensive zone to compensate because one these boys will sit. Keep in mind, we are playing without 2 of our top d men. If St. Louis cannot score against our injure riddled D now, it will be more difficult as the series goes on as LA gets healtheir. The longer this goes, the more in LA's favor it swings.

Game 1 was a fluke but LA got outplayed the majority of the game. If St. Louis can't win game 4 and Greene is back, look for LA to take it in six.

But love this series. Love the hits, love the board battles. Two very good teams slugging it out.

Last edited by ReverseSweep: 05-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
05-05-2013, 02:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Half the time he wasn't even touching "your" goalie and get's pushed around or a face wash from multiple players or Quick is the one initiating contact.

Watch the games.

The only thing Perron is guilty of in this series is his deliberate hit on Penner, which as I have said, should have been reviewed and he should have received a game.
You should take your own advice. Perron intentionally skated into Quick and just laid on top of him in the last game. It's fine though, the Blues aren't going to score on a play like that because it's obvious goalie interference, and I'm sure Quick doesn't mind feeding Perron his blocker and stick.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:02 PM
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg98 View Post
I love this series andas a Blues fan living in Montreal, it's alway a thrill to see a game (saw about 20 this year, which is pretty sad), didn't miss anything of the playoff.

But something is bothering me a lot. Sure, Quick is being god like again and has been awsome for the Kings, but GOD do Blues have trouble to finish their opportunities ! Even if they beat the Kings, I don't see them beating anyone else with that finish !

Best exemple is Swartz ! The kid has been great since the beginning of the playoff, no finish, tons of opportunities. They need to capitalize and that, ASAP !
This is St. Louis's biggest weakness. I think that's a good assessment. The Powerplay has been rough on both sides. There were plenty of breaks that LA just B-L-E-W as well. Funny, how the playoffs are so different. This whole series is defined by Defense and missed opportunities. It's not a first goal wins, but it's mighty close.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:07 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Jesus I'm watching the Pens game right now and it's absolutely pathetic.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Schwartz was reportedly walking around fine after the game, but we'll have to see. I don't think Andy Mac has been playing TOO bad, so keeping him and Tarasenko is could make sense.
McDonald just hasn't added much. He hasn't been a liability. Although he has turned the puck over in some bad areas a couple of times in this series.

The question is: Who comes out?

It comes down to McDonald, Cracknell, or Stewart.

IMO, breaking up the CPR line would be a terrible decision. We've got to continue to pound the Kings and make them uncomfortable to play the puck. Cracknell also adds some skill too.

That leaves Stewart or McDonald. At the least, Stewart is shooting the puck off Quick's pads perfectly to allow for those rebound chances. He is executing the game plan perfectly. It is obvious that Stewart could be more physical. I think he has gotten better with each game. He was non-existent in Game 1. He was more noticeable last night. Especially in the 3rd. I wouldn't take out a 6'2", 225 body and replace him with a smaller winger even though Tarasenko is built well.

McDonald is better when the game is a little more wide open and he can use his above average speed(it used to be outstanding speed). Unfortunately, there is little open ice. McDonald's strength has been taken away. Along the boards he has been fairly useless. He is just getting overpowered by the Kings big lineup.

It just makes sense to switch out McDonald for Tarasenko.

I'd love to see Schwartz and Tarasenko together but I doubt we see that since he'd have to be on the Backes line and Hitch won't put Tarasenko up against Kopitar.

More than likely he'll be on Sobotka's line.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Yea, not stewart. Just no.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:13 PM
underslept
"well-informed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Keep in mind, we are playing without 2 of our top d men. If St. Louis cannot score against our injure riddled D now, it will be more difficult as the series goes on as LA gets healtheir
Keep in mind, the Blues have missed 10-12 wide open nets that Quick would have had no chance on this series.

LA's defense has been average this series, the Blues are not struggling to get quality scoring chances, they're shooting them wide when it should be an easy goal.

J. Quick is the only reason the Kings are in this series. The Kings' defensive system is clogging the slot, but their transition game and back checking needs to show up if they plan to make a series out of this.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Sergei Shirokov

STL in 6.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:21 PM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narg98 View Post
I understand, and no disrespect to the Kings D, I saw A LOT of scoring chance from the Blues. Sometimes, Quick was simply stealing a goal, but most of the time, it was a player missing the net, shooting directly on the goaltender, missing a pass or litteraly missing the puck.
im not ashamed to admit the blues are playing much better than the kings in this series, and i really associate this with the addition of Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Leopold AND the subtraction of Greene and Mitchell

that is enough to tip the series in the Blues favor

be that as it may, LA could've stolen game 1 and 2 from the blues very easily, and the Blues could have won game 3 just as the same

this series could've have been 3-0 LA, 3-0 STL, 2-1 LA

Old
05-05-2013, 04:22 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
Keep in mind, the Blues have missed 10-12 wide open nets that Quick would have had no chance on this series.

LA's defense has been average this series, the Blues are not struggling to get quality scoring chances, they're shooting them wide when it should be an easy goal.

J. Quick is the only reason the Kings are in this series. The Kings' defensive system is clogging the slot, but their transition game and back checking needs to show up if they plan to make a series out of this.
Keep in mind it was the kings who banged one off the iron laat game. I dont remember the blues doing tht.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post
im not ashamed to admit the blues are playing much better than the kings in this series, and i really associate this with the addition of Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Leopold AND the subtraction of Greene and Mitchell

that is enough to tip the series in the Blues favor

be that as it may, LA could've stolen game 1 and 2 from the blues very easily, and the Blues could have won game 3 just as the same

this series could've have been 3-0 LA, 3-0 STL, 2-1 LA
Thts the key issue. Despite blues dominance, every game could have gone either way. Lack of kuller sense.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Yea lol, The blues are dominating your "injury riddled D" but not dominating Quick.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:17 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Yea lol, The blues are dominating your "injury riddled D" but not dominating Quick.
Blues are starting to lose zone dominance. Isnt that a bit concerning?

Old
05-05-2013, 05:23 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
and the Kings are still down 2-1
Did you not notice that it was a response to this:

Originally Posted by Overkamp
Can we all agree that we both hate SJ and the Canucks?

It had nothing to do with this series or The Blues.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
JT8888

I knew the blues were a good team, but they are much better than I anticipated. If they find a scoring touch they are making it to the cup. But I also think if kopi and carter start playing blues will be done

Old
05-05-2013, 05:40 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I'm just glad our core has learned some composure. Before this series, I thought we needed to shake our core up, now I think we just need to add a finisher.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'm just glad our core has learned some composure. Before this series, I thought we needed to shake our core up, now I think we just need to add a finisher.
At the beginning of the season with Tarasenko burying all those pucks in the back of the net I was sure that you guys had found your answer.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:46 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
At the beginning of the season with Tarasenko burying all those pucks in the back of the net I was sure that you guys had found your answer.
He will be that player, he just has some developing to do. He seemed gassed at the end of the season and he kept trying he same cut-in move again and again and he got predictable.

If we are able to add a finisher and Tarasenko continues to develop, we will be set.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
STL in 6.
Sharks in 4.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Sharks in 4.
STL has been my non-homer pick to win the West for awhile.

Closed Thread