HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Where can Miller go?

Old
05-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Jim Bob
I like Big Botts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Only 3 teams on that list make any sense... Phoenix, New Jersey, and Pittsburgh
I think Philly and the Isles are both more likely than NJ or Pittsburgh.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Honestly don't even care for the return at this point, the culture change that comes with moving him would be enough for me. I'll take a pick in this year's draft.
I bet Miller would fetch half of what Pominville got and may have to eat more of his salary.

2 of the 4:
prospect
prospect
1st
2nd

I heard the market wasn't there for Vanek at the deadline like it was for Pominville. I think Vanek will return 3 of the 4 pieces this summer.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 06:54 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The fact that only 3 teams have their starters becoming UFA (and thus in theory an opening for a starting goalie) really hurts the market. Add in that Minnesota will just promote from within to replace Backstrom, and the Islanders are sitting on Tim Thomas right now...which leaves only Phoenix...

Maybe if there's a team going through a major overhaul/culture change. Perhaps Edmonton might want Miller, although Dubnyk did well this year...they might feel they need to make a splash if there's pressure to finally make the playoffs again.

Calgary can't be discounted (Kipper has already stated that he will retire), although it would be stupid of them to invest in Miller now while they are rebuilding--next year as UFA makes more sense. But then again, Feaster is the GM...maybe Regier can sucker him again?
Regardless of whether or not the Isles are a destination for Miller. I think they would be nuts to count on Thomas. He just turned 39 years old and hasn't played for a year. It would be much smarter IMO to take the pick.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:55 PM
kenfury

I've been thinking of teem needs and my thought is, assuming Backstrom does not resign, what about Minnesota? Harding while a good goalie has MS and will probably decline in the next two years rather sharply due to it. That leaves a hole between now and 2015ish when Kuemper/Gustafsson is ready.

For that matter give them Vanek as well. Miller+Vanek for all the things.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Mikeyc1983

Where Miller ends up? What we get in return?

It's almost a certainty that Miller won't be back next year. Just want some feedback on where we should send him. I know. I'm just bored.

Mikeyc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyc1983 View Post
It's almost a certainty that Miller won't be back next year. Just want some feedback on where we should send him. I know. I'm just bored.

There's a thread for this conversation already: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1418531

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Too bad Vokoun has been at least average so far. No complete and total meltdown in Penguin-ville to cause them to panic enough to rabidly pursue Miller. At least, not yet.

05-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Miller's dislike of Toronto

I'm doing a piece on which teams will likely be on Miller's list of teams he won't go to and I thought I'd read somewhere on here that Miller didn't like Toronto. Where did that start? Did he say something or is this generally assumed?

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Luceni

Who actually likes toronto?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Press comments about not like the franchise and the fans from a few years back if I recall correctly.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
beerme1

He has said many times over there is nothing that makes him happier than sending all the Leaf fans home across the bridge after a loss in Buffalo. Pretty sure it is simply due to how they invade the *** Center when there is a Leaf game.

When you say write a piece, where would this be published?

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Tapu Fino
The Juice

Miller can't handle Buffalo media, Toronto would likely kill him.

Tapu Fino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
He has said many times over there is nothing that makes him happier than sending all the Leaf fans home across the bridge after a loss in Buffalo. Pretty sure it is simply due to how they invade the *** Center when there is a Leaf game.

When you say write a piece, where would this be published?
Funny you should ask.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Amadeus
The Magician!

Pretty jerkish for Miller not to like Toronto. He's played well against them over his career, but for the past 2 seasons Toronto has solved him.

I'm pretty sure he said it keeping in mind they're a divisional rival, and that its better to perform better if you develop a hatred for a certain team.

He should hate the team that beats up on him consistently - Boston.

I'm sure he'd love to play in Toronto, though. A better overall city with great fans, and a team that's on the upswing. Also, he's always looked comfortable playing in the ACC so success should practically translate.

05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

I could be wrong, but I think there will be at least one team in the sweepstakes that nobody would have thought would be interested in Miller. My guess? San Jose.

Sure they have Niemi. But suppose LA takes the next two games and San Jose gets eliminated again. I realize that Niemi has had some impressive numbers over the years. I also realize that San Jose would be going older in net. But nobody can question Miller's compete level. Their D isn't bad and Miller would put up way better numbers playing behind them. Suppose they trade Niemi for some offensive help and then trade us Pavelski or Couture straight up for Miller.

Would you be game?

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Pretty jerkish for Miller not to like Toronto. He's played well against them over his career, but for the past 2 seasons Toronto has solved him.

I'm pretty sure he said it keeping in mind they're a divisional rival, and that its better to perform better if you develop a hatred for a certain team.

I'm sure he'd love to play in Toronto, though. A better overall city with great fans, and a team that's on the upswing. Also, he's always looked comfortable playing in the ACC so success should practically translate.
OK bud. So goes the mind of every Leafs fan.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:18 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I could be wrong, but I think there will be at least one team in the sweepstakes that nobody would have thought would be interested in Miller. My guess? San Jose.

Sure they have Niemi. But suppose LA takes the next two games and San Jose gets eliminated again. I realize that Niemi has had some impressive numbers over the years. I also realize that San Jose would be going older in net. But nobody can question Miller's compete level. Their D isn't bad and Miller would put up way better numbers playing behind them. Suppose they trade Niemi for some offensive help and then trade us Pavelski or Couture straight up for Miller.

Would you be game?
That would make absolutely zero sense. Niemi is better, younger, cheaper, and has a cup to his name (if that matters to you). Your trade has them getting worse in goal in order to get more offense, and then trading offense to get better in goal. Except they end up worse in goal and at best with similar offensive talent.

"Compete level" is meaningless. One guy stops the puck more often than the other guy, and has more playoffs success as well.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Johnny Steps
Time to Step it Up!

Quote:
I'm sure he'd love to play in Toronto,
Like hell he would.

Johnny Steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post

Would you be game?
Would love Pavelski or Couture (Bills fan). No way San Jose would trade Couture. Couture would cost Miller and several other pieces.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Jacob582

Miller: most popular Sabre?

He has 3 threads devoted to him.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
oldgoalie
hopeful oldtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Miller: most popular Sabre?

He has 3 threads devoted to him.
I'm a fan. As if that wasn't known. Yep.

oldgoalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Oh, do they? Since when?
Miller's stats vs Boston over the last 4 seasons:
2012-13 5GP 3W 2L 0OTL 12GA .935sv% 0SO
2011-12 3GP 2W 1L 0OTL 4GA .957sv% 1SO
2010-11 5GP 4W 0L 1OTL 16GA .911sv% 0SO
2009-10 4GP 2W 0L 2OTL 7GA .947sv% 0SO

So a total record of 11-3-3. Over his whole career, he's 25-8-7 against them with a .920sv%. Yeah, Boston clearly dominates Miller.

Quote:
...Said every Leafs fan about every conceivably available star player ever. Must be hard for you guys picking which FAs to sign and which to let other teams have a chance at.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 05-23-2013 at 04:21 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
I'm doing a piece on which teams will likely be on Miller's list of teams he won't go to and I thought I'd read somewhere on here that Miller didn't like Toronto. Where did that start? Did he say something or is this generally assumed?

Buffalo and toronto are rivals....in buffalo it's more pronounced because many season ticket holders can sell 2 of the 3 Tornto game tickets and virtually cover much of the cost for season tickets.

Thus in buffalo it's more of a 50/50 fan split. Bostn, detroit, Montreal, and Pittsburgh also draw a large fan percentage for home games.

You don't gat as much in Toronto.

Toronto is the NHL version of the Yankees who think they are entitled to win the cup and have all UFAs want to come there first.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Chicago ruled out? LOL. Wait until playoffs are over. Previous poster is right. Miller would get crushed in Toronto. Media. Plus, fans more likely to drive you nuts in Toronto. People in Buffalo are way more respectful of athletes.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 538
Quote:
Trying to divine Miller's no-trade list based on public comments, mostly postgame, is pretty silly. The man is very cerebral; you know if he's asked he will take time to really think through his options.

But hey, pageviews, right?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote