HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where can Miller go?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy3PO View Post
I don't know if you Isles fans would go for this but: is Okposo or Grabner up for trade?

The biggest need for Buffalo is probably defense. Any good D prospects in the organization?
They are definitely not available. Okposo was to start the season but he won't be now given his late season and playoff performance.

Isles were linked to Burmistrov and Saad and I personally believe Okposo was the one with it.

Isles have many good D prospects. Reinhart and Donovan won't be traded but de Haan is someone who could be available. I think de Haan is in need of a change of scenery. His only problem has been injuries and I believe the Isles are very high on him but can't bring him up because he hasn't had enough experience due to the injuries.

Maybe de Haan for Miller? Like I said earlier, I find it hard to gauge goalie values but I think it's good. I'd be willing to add a pick too but that's where I'd start.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
They are definitely not available. Okposo was to start the season but he won't be now given his late season and playoff performance.

Isles were linked to Burmistrov and Saad and I personally believe Okposo was the one with it.

Isles have many good D prospects. Reinhart and Donovan won't be traded but de Haan is someone who could be available. I think de Haan is in need of a change of scenery. His only problem has been injuries and I believe the Isles are very high on him but can't bring him up because he hasn't had enough experience due to the injuries.

Maybe de Haan for Miller? Like I said earlier, I find it hard to gauge goalie values but I think it's good. I'd be willing to add a pick too but that's where I'd start.
de Haan's a solid piece. Is Niederreiter still on shaky ground? I wonder if Buffalo continues to have interest in Nino, even with some of the associated chatter.

06-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
If Bryz is bought out in Philly, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run at Miller.

Philly is "THE" team with the balls to take the Miller chance. GM isn't afraid to roll the dice, that's for sure....
Especially now that Bernier has been traded - I think Holmgren will have to consider Miller as the next best option because the alternatives of trading for Luongo's contract; signing a 36-year old Backstrom or 40-year old Thomas; recycling Emery; or keeping Bryzgalov don't represent upgrades IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
will darcy regier be willing to take market value in return for Miller?
I think Miller's market value just climbed with Bernier's trade. Bernier's price and age made him a lower risk for several teams to chase; with the remaining field, Miller is arguably the best and most proven choice available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Curious: assuming you'd be in favor of Miller to the Islanders, what would be your ballpark offer?
Theories about Miller to the Islanders make no sense IMO - common sense says that NYI would be one of the 8 teams Miller would refuse a trade to. As great and bright a star as Tavares is, he alone can't undo the image problems the Isles have in recruiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
The doubt of Dubnyk being a legitimate #1 goalie appears to be heating up in Edmonton, I'd add the Oil as another legit Miller landing spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The problem is, is Edmonton on Miller's list of teams he won't go to?
That is indeed a big problem - my gut feeling is that Miller would include Edmonton on his 'no-trade' list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Miller + Stafford + 16 for Paajarvi + 7?
I admit I do like Paajarvi
Ensures a combo of Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse/Risto
That would be a dream scenario if Regier could pull it off.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Sabretip

One thought: does Dallas inquire about Miller now that Ruff is there? Lehtonen may be the incumbent but he was brought in by Nieuwendyk - neither Nill nor Ruff have any history with him.

I'm not sure what would be a realistic return from the Stars, given Benn and Ericksson are probably untouchable - but maybe Dallas trades the 10th pick straight up for Miller and another of Ruff's other favorites (i.e. Kaleta, Gerbe)?

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Would Philly do this and would you do it, Scott Laughton and Matt Read for Ryan Miller and a 2nd?

WHat I am looking for from a Miller trade, a strong two-way defensive minded prospect and a roster player. 2nd or 3rd line.

Last edited by Sabre Dance: 06-24-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:43 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Would Philly do this and would you do it, Scott Laughton and Matt Read for Ryan Miller and a 2nd?

WHat I am looking for from a Miller trade, a strong two-way defensive minded prospect and a roster player. 2nd or 3rd line.
No they wouldn't. Laughton was a beast in his short stint in the NHL and if they move Couturier or Schenn for defensive help, he will fill in just fine.

Miller isn't going to return a top prospect, at best we're going to get a high second.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
One thought: does Dallas inquire about Miller now that Ruff is there? Lehtonen may be the incumbent but he was brought in by Nieuwendyk - neither Nill nor Ruff have any history with him.

I'm not sure what would be a realistic return from the Stars, given Benn and Ericksson are probably untouchable - but maybe Dallas trades the 10th pick straight up for Miller and another of Ruff's other favorites (i.e. Kaleta, Gerbe)?
I'll take a 2nd and a reclamation project like Glennie

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'll take a 2nd and a reclamation project like Glennie
I'm drawing a blank on Glennie, info please.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
a total bust... 8th overall 2008 i think
very Brian Holzinger-esque

tons of speed, great shot... zero hockey sense, perimeter player

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Was a top 10 pick for the Stars some years back. Now recall, if you will, all of the things that Kadri haters were saying before he broke out this year. If every single one of them were true, then you'd have Glennie. He's awful.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 08:59 AM
"Craigs on it"

Ryan Miller can basically block any trade he wants to, all he has to do is put the 8 teams that may have interest in a goalie on his list.

Edmonton
Philly
St. Louis
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Florida
Calgary

Their is no market, don't be surprised if he is back next year and walks as a UFA

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:05 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Ryan Miller can basically block any trade he wants to, all he has to do is put the 8 teams that may have interest in a goalie on his list.

Edmonton
Philly
St. Louis
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Florida
Calgary

Their is no market, don't be surprised if he is back next year and walks as a UFA
I can't think of a single reason why he would block a trade to a team more competitive than Buffalo though. Even if it's not his ideal location, he can get a chance to boost his stats somewhere like STL or PHX and/or actually compete in the playoffs behind a good team like PIT, and then go wherever he wants in FA.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Sabre Dance
Jack Be Nimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
No they wouldn't. Laughton was a beast in his short stint in the NHL and if they move Couturier or Schenn for defensive help, he will fill in just fine.

Miller isn't going to return a top prospect, at best we're going to get a high second.
What if we added Sekera?

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Prospector74

How does Miller stack up against a bought out Luongo that could be signed to a short contract? I think he would be 2nd option in that scenario as Luongo could be acquired for no assets going back the other way. We may need to wait until after Luongo is moved. Thoughts?

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
How does Miller stack up against a bought out Luongo that could be signed to a short contract? I think he would be 2nd option in that scenario as Luongo could be acquired for no assets going back the other way. We may need to wait until after Luongo is moved. Thoughts?
I'd rather they try to make the best possible deal as soon as they can rather than yet again allowing market forces to dictate their moves.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
toejam56

Long time lurker...first time poster.......Miller and lower #2 to Vancouver for Luongo and Brendan Gaunce. Solves Vancouvers long term salary problem. Sabres can afford him for 3-4 years. Luongo equal or better than Miller. Gaunce is a nice carrott for Vancouver to not need to buy out Luongo. Gives Buffalo a big center on the farm. Can use 8 and 16 for a dman and a sniper.

toejam56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by toejam56 View Post
Long time lurker...first time poster.......Miller and lower #2 to Vancouver for Luongo and Brendan Gaunce. Solves Vancouvers long term salary problem. Sabres can afford him for 3-4 years. Luongo equal or better than Miller. Gaunce is a nice carrott for Vancouver to not need to buy out Luongo. Gives Buffalo a big center on the farm. Can use 8 and 16 for a dman and a sniper.
I don't want any part of Luongo's contract. It's just too long and will hamstring the franchise.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
toejam56

Quote:
I don't want any part of Luongo's contract. It's just too long and will hamstring the franchise.
There was talk that we could take DiPietro from NYI and buy him out with a bonus of 1st or Strome. Luongo for 2-3 yrs then flip him or buy him out when young goalies are ready. This seems better to me. Kinda like Strome but DiPietro is done. At least Luongo can play.

toejam56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Jacob582

The more I think about it the more I feel that Miller won't be traded until after the Luongo situation is resolved. Teams will want to wait to see if Luongo is bought out before they make a trade for Miller.

Dominoes. Bernier was just one. Stuck for a little while longer.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:10 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
The more I think about it the more I feel that Miller won't be traded until after the Luongo situation is resolved. Teams will want to wait to see if Luongo is bought out before they make a trade for Miller.

Dominoes. Bernier was just one. Stuck for a little while longer.
There is also the Bryz situation as well. I think after the Finals are done and we get to the buyout period things should start moving.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by toejam56 View Post
There was talk that we could take DiPietro from NYI and buy him out with a bonus of 1st or Strome. Luongo for 2-3 yrs then flip him or buy him out when young goalies are ready. This seems better to me. Kinda like Strome but DiPietro is done. At least Luongo can play.
If that's the plan then I'm behind it, but only if that's the plan. The problem though is that despite our talk about buying out Luongo or DiPietro and despite how great Pegula is about spending money, we're talking about spending tens of millions of dollars for a guy to not play. I'm not sure any owner is willing to do that, but we'll see.

Last edited by Paxon: 06-24-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old
06-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Soapy3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
The Sabres biggest need is probably defense?

No, not at all. Not saying we couldn't be better there but with the likely trade of Vanek, this team has no legitimate top 3 forwards. That is the biggest need.
At the moment, the Sabres could improve everywhere. Defense was just an example, I wanted to know the Isles defensive prospects.

Soapy3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
If that's the plan then I'm behind it, but only if that's the plan. The problem though is that despite our talk about buying out Luongo or DiPietro and despite how great Pegula is about spending money, we're talking about spending 10's of millions of dollars for a guy to not play. I'm not sure any owner is willing to do that, but we'll see.
There is also some talk afoot that Luongo has stated he'll take the walk-away waiver option simple to go somewhere to play. I haven't read up on it all that much, but at a cursory glance, basically both parties agree to walk away from the deal. I'd be curious to see if Vancouver goes that route if they continue to find no one to take on that massive, massive deal.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Soapy3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post

De Hann would be solid paired with maybe Myers? I like it.

Soapy3PO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post

Edmonton
Philly
St. Louis
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Florida
Calgary

I wonder if the list he submitted before the season is still active, if that is indeed when he submitted it. In other words, is the list submitted and pertinent starting with the offseason, or starting with the regular season?

It seems a bit of a stretch to think he would not want a trade to a team like Pittsburgh. One year to try and win a Cup, proving he's a difference maker before hitting the market. What's he going to prove in Buffalo next year? How to rack up 5 brilliant saves and 3 goals a game behind a crap defensive team?

Florida or Calgary? I'm quite sure he'd put those suckers on the list. They're going to suck even worse than Buffalo. Edmonton is not intriguing as a 1 year destination, it'd be more of a long-term destination and I doubt he'd be interested in that either. Their team redefines garbage defensively.