HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins are AHL CHAMPIONS!

Old
05-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
Any keepers for next year among the players with AHL-only contracts? (Hoggan, Glendening, Grant, Skinner, Paetsch, Evans, Billins).

Or does the organization already have replacements coming for these roles with the likes of perhaps Quellet, Sproul, etc.?
It's undeniable that Glendening has played well. The fact that he's a rookie makes him a very intriguing candidate for a contract. However, he's still a bit undersized at 5'11. I could see the Wings brass thinking that he doesn't have the raw tools to be successful at the NHL level.

But he's certainly made a case for it.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
It's undeniable that Glendening has played well. The fact that he's a rookie makes him a very intriguing candidate for a contract. However, he's still a bit undersized at 5'11. I could see the Wings brass thinking that he doesn't have the raw tools to be successful at the NHL level.

But he's certainly made a case for it.
He is one of the strongest players on the team and a terrific skater. He is a guy that you don't attach the big size concern to, he plays much bigger than he is and also has the weight. Versatile in that he can play all three forward slots. I know he is older, but they should absolutely hold onto him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Any keepers for next year among the players with AHL-only contracts? (Hoggan, Glendening, Grant, Skinner, Paetsch, Evans, Billins).

Or does the organization already have replacements coming for these roles with the likes of perhaps Quellet, Sproul, etc.?
This Year:

Tatar - Sheahan - Pare
Jurco - Ferraro - (Nyquist)/Pulkkinen
Hoggan - Glendening - Mursak/(Andersson)
Grant - Aubry - Callahan
(Parkes, Nestrasil, Raedeke)

Next year:

Jurco - Järnkrok - Ferraro
Pulkkinen - Sheahan - Frk
Hoggan - Glendening - Callahan
Grant - Aubry - Nestrasil
(Parkes, Coetzee)

So it would be:

Andersson --> NHL
Nyquist --> NHL
Tatar --> NHL
Pare --> unsigned UFA
Mursak --> KHL
Raedeke --> unsigned

Captain Hoggan, Grant and Clendening should get AHL-extensions, others are already signed with Red Wings.

What's the future of Alan Quine? He could be used at Griffins bottom6, but can he play one more year at juniors? He is not signed yet, but it could happen this summer.

Marek Tvrdon should continue at juniors because of the whole year he lost for injury?

Defence this year:

Almquist - Paetsch
Lashoff - Skinner
Evans - Billins
(Fournier/Nicastro)

Defence at next year:

Almquist - Sproul
Ouellet - Jensen

Evans - Marchenko
(Fournier/Nicastro)

Lashoff --> NHL
Paetsch --> unsigned UFA
Skinner --> unsigned UFA
Billins --> unsigned UFA
Evans --> hopefully re-signed

Evans is not signed, but he is the leader type of veteran at defence and physical player that those prospects replacing current veterans aren't.

Goalies this year:

1. Mrazek
2. McCollum
3. Pearce (ECHL-starter)

Goalies at next year:

1. Mrazek
2. Coreau
3. McCollum (ECHL-starter)

Pearce let walk.

Last edited by Henkka: 05-18-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:21 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post

Captain Hoggan, Grant and Clendening should get AHL-extensions, others are already signed with Red Wings.

What's the future of Alan Quine? He could be used at Griffins bottom6, but can he play one more year at juniors? He is not signed yet, but it could happen this summer.

Marek Tvrdon should continue at juniors because of the whole year he lost for injury?
Both can return to juniors. If we sign Quine I think he should turn pro. Tvrdon, depending how he does at development and/or training camps.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Christien

Don't think it was posted yet, but here's the highlights for game 4

Christien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Shoalzie

I'm almost as excited to see the Griffs playing this deep in the playoffs as I am with the Wings.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:45 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Jurco - Järnkrok - Ferraro
Is it just me or does that line just sound like a ridiculously awesome idea? I mean, it seems like Jurco's finally getting the hang of the pro style. Ferraro has some mojo going as well. Then you bring in Jarnkrok with his pedigree, experience and style of play. And he doesn't necessarily have to play center and worry about every single defensive assignment for every game because he'll have Ferraro there with him.

Just sounds like a pretty sick idea. One of those you would really hope to see at some point but perhaps never did, especially during the Fraser days.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:49 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Glendening is a total keeper, he will play in the NHL some day and be an effective bottom 6 player.

Really think he should get a deal from the Wings.

Billins will probably land an NHL two way from somebody else, we have too much depth on the backend.

Hoggan and Paetsch have played well, once again has to do with how they want to construct that team. Would not surprise me if Paetsch goes back to Rochester his Wife has a good practice there and he owns businesses from his interviews. Really think that guy can play in the NHL but oh well, he should be called up over Lashoff if injuries strike again in a big way.

Evans provides size and can handle some heavies isn't a big or very good fighter but he does deter some stupid behavior. I am sure they will look at some of these guys, but Glendening is the only one with a Red Wings future.

Grant also provides the fighting and heavy hitting presence, we will see how many vets they want to carry.
Yep Glendening should definitely get a contract. He would be an upgrade over Emmerton right now and is one of the best defensive guys on the team (probably the best). As for the other guys, none will get an NHL contract but at least one of Grant or Evans should be kept.

As much as people like to rag on them they were huge in helping Callahan take a big step in his development. He didnt have to worry about fighting out there and got to actually play hockey

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:09 AM
ChadS

Athanasiou signed to a tryout with the Griffins.

ChadS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvp Lord View Post
Don't think it was posted yet, but here's the highlights for game 4

It's funny how much Landon sounds like his dad. And man, seems like he's playing well this season. I have to think next year is his last AHL year.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:59 AM
1st Line Interloper
Will Drop the Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Both can return to juniors. If we sign Quine I think he should turn pro. Tvrdon, depending how he does at development and/or training camps.
Quine has really stepped his game up lately, he once looked like a pick that was going to be irrelevant but he might have some value now. Tvrdon is a completely different animal, I don't know what we have in him. If he can return to juniors for one more year then he should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Athanasiou signed to a tryout with the Griffins.
Excited to see him play. I don't know too much about him, I know that he's really fast and that's about it.

1st Line Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
joe89

Quote:
Is it just me or does that line just sound like a ridiculously awesome idea? I mean, it seems like Jurco's finally getting the hang of the pro style. Ferraro has some mojo going as well. Then you bring in Jarnkrok with his pedigree, experience and style of play. And he doesn't necessarily have to play center and worry about every single defensive assignment for every game because he'll have Ferraro there with him.

Just sounds like a pretty sick idea. One of those you would really hope to see at some point but perhaps never did, especially during the Fraser days.
They already played that line together when Jarnkrok was there in April. Blashill knows what's up.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:08 PM
fetalposition

if I cant put this up mods, then please delete, but looks like a stream from these guys tonight

http://www.usagoals.me/hockey.html

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
fetalposition

gonna be an awesome night tonight, in a great mood with the wings win, stream the griffs and dvr the memorial cup game between portland and halifax and watch when the griffins are done.

fetalposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Line Interloper View Post
Quine has really stepped his game up lately, he once looked like a pick that was going to be irrelevant but he might have some value now. Tvrdon is a completely different animal, I don't know what we have in him. If he can return to juniors for one more year then he should.

Excited to see him play. I don't know too much about him, I know that he's really fast and that's about it.
I don't think Tvrdon will be returned, he is kind of a man child, has a pro ready body and they like him that is why they signed him before he even entered his shortened season.

Quine has a lot of speed, but if it comes down to Quine versus Glendening in terms of a contract then I choose Glendening. Would like to see them dump a contract to get Quine in. Would love to see us dump Fournier, Coetzee, Nestrasil or Aubry (him last) in combination with some player we need to move off the Wings to an organization with cap and contract flexibility. We could even pick up all of Eaves contract or something to make it work. Take a low round pick.

You can be excited about AA, but I would be stunned if he ever actually suits up. Jensen, Sproul and Ouellet all aren't playing, this team is deep and tough to crack.

Old
05-18-2013, 05:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

By the way very curious if we will be able to hold onto Jeff Blashill through next year. Have to think Nill will be pretty interested in interviewing him.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Shoalzie

3-0 Marlies early in the third...yuck.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
3-0 Marlies early in the third...yuck.
Glendening brings relief, assisted by Jurco and Skinner.

edit. 4-1 now, 7 mins left. Guess we'll see hame 6 at least.

edit. and 4-1 the end. GR outshot Marlies 33-24, though. Game 6 Monday.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 05-18-2013 at 08:35 PM.
InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:38 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Disappointing game tonight, looks like they expected the Marlies to role over and play dead. Easily their worst game of the series thus far, hope they didn't wake the Marlies up, more looked like the Griffins didn't bring it tonight than the Marlies really found something.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:53 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Disappointing game tonight, looks like they expected the Marlies to role over and play dead. Easily their worst game of the series thus far, hope they didn't wake the Marlies up, more looked like the Griffins didn't bring it tonight than the Marlies really found something.
I think the Marlies just had that desperation push that teams get. But the Griffs had a bad game. I think messing up on the PP so many times got into their heads a little bit. I'm sure Blash will get them practicing like it's business as usual and that'll work out some of the kinks.

I do sort of feel like this Griffins team is at its best at even strength because of their depth. Even being on the PP is not as complimentary to their overall game as one might think.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

I haven't really paid attention to the Griffins since their regular season ended... Does someone want to tell me how Glendening has 9 pts in 10 gms? Does he have a little bit of offense to go along with his defensive game?

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
MBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I haven't really paid attention to the Griffins since their regular season ended... Does someone want to tell me how Glendening has 9 pts in 10 gms? Does he have a little bit of offense to go along with his defensive game?
He just works hard, i wouldn't bet on him keeping that pace over an entire season but I could see around .66- .75 ppg if he gets full top six and pp time next year. Gotta remember that the guy started the regular season on the fourth line and worked his way up, now he plays 2nd/3rd line center.

They need to get him a two way NHL contract, I think give him another year in the AHL and he will be ready to be a perfect fourth line center.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
He just works hard, i wouldn't bet on him keeping that pace over an entire season but I could see around .66- .75 ppg if he gets full top six and pp time next year. Gotta remember that the guy started the regular season on the fourth line and worked his way up, now he plays 2nd/3rd line center.

They need to get him a two way NHL contract, I think give him another year in the AHL and he will be ready to be a perfect fourth line center.
You would think just the fact that he is a good skater, good at draws, and very responsible defensively should be enough to get a contract. If he is even showing a little bit of offense to go along with that, it should be a no-brainer.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
You would think just the fact that he is a good skater, good at draws, and very responsible defensively should be enough to get a contract. If he is even showing a little bit of offense to go along with that, it should be a no-brainer.
The next Kris Draper?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:24 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
The next Kris Draper?
Probably closer to the next Maltby with center flexibility. He plays a heavier game and is more of an agitator. In every scrum guys are looking for him, has a pest quality to him that is underrated.