HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

How much demerits is a first round knock out worth against a GM ?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2013, 07:27 PM
  #1
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
How much demerits is a first round knock out worth against a GM ?

Lets say missing the playoffs equals 2 demerits. With that in mind, I would say a first round knock out equals 1.5 demerits. Which means getting knocked out in the first round twice in a row is worse then missing the playoffs once. You get a better draft placement for missing the playoffs. You don't get a better one for getting a KO in the first round.

Or is a first round KO only worth 1 demerit ?

Aquilini was quick to say that missing the playoffs too many times was unacceptable and that is why he canned Dave Nonis. So how much slack does Mike Gillis get if he gets KO'd in the first round too many times ?


LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
  #2
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Lets say missing the playoffs equals 2 demerits. With that in mind, I would say a first round knock out equals 1.5 demerits. Which means getting knocked out in the first round twice in a row is worse then missing the playoffs once. You get a better draft placement for missing the playoffs. You don't get a better one for getting a KO in the first round.

Or is a first round KO only worth 1 demerit ?

Aquilini was quick to say that missing the playoffs too many times was unacceptable and that is why he canned Dave Nonis. So how much slack does Mike Gillis get if he gets KO'd in the first round too many times ?

I think if we're bounced in the first round (or even the second round) this year that AV is fired. If it happens again next year MG finds himself unemployed.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
  #3
Plebeian
Play Your Game
 
Plebeian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think if we're bounced in the first round (or even the second round) this year that AV is fired. If it happens again next year MG finds himself unemployed.
Agreed. Although wouldn't be shocked if Gillis is gone if Aquaman thinks he has someone who can take over.

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  #4
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
When you start with all the assets Gillis did and make it to the second round twice in a row then the finals and then lose in the first round twice in a row it shows he's going backwards.

When our winger depth is:

Daniel


Burrows... a second liner

Higgins, Raymond, Hansen... should all be third liners on a cup contender

And you cant score year after year in the playoffs and don't upgrade the wing you probably deserve to have your job evaluated very closely.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  #5
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...
 
Jack Tripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,823
vCash: 625
gillis hasn't fired a coach yet, he'll still have this card to play in the offseason if the sharks make a mockery of this series

if we're all sitting here a year from today debating the same talking points leading up to a 4th straight playoff series loss despite holding home ice advantage in every series then i'd see aquilini deeming that not acceptable from a management perspective

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
  #6
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
The entire context of the situation needs to be looked at. Gillis' problem is that he's shown a high capacity to make critical errors that have far-reaching negative consequences on the franchise.

The Ballard trade (which doubly led to us having to let go of Ehrhoff), the Hodgson trade, and how this goaltending fiasco has been handled, specifically. These three moves/non-moves are going to haunt us for a long, long time, and these are the types of mistakes that our previous two GMs simply did not do.

Last night was a flat-out embarrassment. Getting eliminated by the Sharks, who I personally rank as the worst playoff team in the NHL, should rank up there with this franchise's biggest travesties. AV would obviously be fired, probably not Gillis, though, even though he is clearly the one more responsible for this team failing to improve/win a Cup.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:13 PM
  #7
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Last night was a flat-out embarrassment. Getting eliminated by the Sharks, who I personally rank as the worst playoff team in the NHL, should rank up there with this franchise's biggest travesties. AV would obviously be fired, probably not Gillis, though, even though he is clearly the one more responsible for this team failing to improve/win a Cup.
Holy overreaction, batman.

And you think the Sharks are worse than the Leafs, Senators, Islanders, and Wild? Ohhhh-kay.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
  #8
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
And you think the Sharks are worse than the Leafs, Senators, Islanders, and Wild? Ohhhh-kay.
I do, yes. The Leafs and the Islanders are IMO two of the most underrated teams in the playoffs.

8 of San Jose's victories came in shootouts, which is basically a coin flip. They also were horrible on the road all year. They're just not that good, and then they went and gave away Ryane Clowe and Doug Murray.

If Vancouver can't get past these guys...

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:24 PM
  #9
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,807
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I do, yes. The Leafs and the Islanders are IMO two of the most underrated teams in the playoffs.

8 of San Jose's victories came in shootouts, which is basically a coin flip. They also were horrible on the road all year. They're just not that good, and then they went and gave away Ryane Clowe and Doug Murray.

If Vancouver can't get past these guys...
San Jose is a very good team. I'm more afraid of them than the Kings or Blues. They're very hot and cold, but they have the potential to be one of, if not the, best team in the league when firing on all cylinders.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
  #10
MajorCanuck
Cup Please
 
MajorCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
San Jose is a very good team. I'm more afraid of them than the Kings or Blues. They're very hot and cold, but they have the potential to be one of, if not the, best team in the league when firing on all cylinders.
Weren't the sharks seller at the deadline?

MajorCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:30 PM
  #11
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Agreed. Although wouldn't be shocked if Gillis is gone if Aquaman thinks he has someone who can take over.
Too late... Jim Nill just got scooped up.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:32 PM
  #12
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Weren't the sharks seller at the deadline?
Not really. They became faster.

For 3 years, the Canucks have at least lost against the eventual cup winners. Even Nonis's last playoff year, he lost to the champion Ducks.

I don't think the Sharks are good enough to win the cup so it would be the first time in 5 years that we lost to a non cup winner, if we don't beat them.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
  #13
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Too late... Jim Nill just got scooped up.
We could always pull a Charles Wang and promote Roberto Luongo to GM. I wonder what kind of luck he'd have with trading himself?

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
  #14
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I do, yes. The Leafs and the Islanders are IMO two of the most underrated teams in the playoffs.

8 of San Jose's victories came in shootouts, which is basically a coin flip. They also were horrible on the road all year. They're just not that good, and then they went and gave away Ryane Clowe and Doug Murray.

If Vancouver can't get past these guys...
Good grief. The Islanders and Leafs are terrible, and neither one would likely make the playoffs in an 82 game season. Gross overreaction to one close game getting away from the Canucks.

Lots of issues with how they played, but this is silly.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  #15
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
San Jose is a very good team. I'm more afraid of them than the Kings or Blues. They're very hot and cold, but they have the potential to be one of, if not the, best team in the league when firing on all cylinders.
Sorry, that's ridiculous. SJ is older, slower, and softer than either of those two teams. Like Gallagher said, watching G1 of LA/STL was like watching an episode of Spartacus. Those teams are younger, hungrier, and way harder to play against.

SJ is the perfect matchup for the Canucks, and it would be a real shame to squander it.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
  #16
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Good grief. The Islanders and Leafs are terrible, and neither one would likely make the playoffs in an 82 game season. Gross overreaction to one close game getting away from the Canucks.

Lots of issues with how they played, but this is silly.
I look at how a team performs on the road as a key barometer of strength. Both the Islanders and the Leafs passed that test this year. I really don't see any reason to assume that an 82-game season would yield a different playoff picture than what we currently see.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:04 PM
  #17
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
We could always pull a Charles Wang and promote Roberto Luongo to GM. I wonder what kind of luck he'd have with trading himself?
Well duh, he'd buy himself out, get fired by Aqualini for doing so... and then sign with Florida for league minimum.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:09 PM
  #18
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 6,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Good grief. The Islanders and Leafs are terrible, and neither one would likely make the playoffs in an 82 game season. Gross overreaction to one close game getting away from the Canucks.

Lots of issues with how they played, but this is silly.
Matt Moulson, John Taveres, Mark Strait, not a bad team.

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:19 PM
  #19
GrogZilla
Registered User
 
GrogZilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I look at how a team performs on the road as a key barometer of strength. Both the Islanders and the Leafs passed that test this year. I really don't see any reason to assume that an 82-game season would yield a different playoff picture than what we currently see.
LOL Really?

The Leafs were outshot constantly, had above average goaltending & had an unsustainable shooting %.
They made the playoffs because the season ended before they came back down to earth.
They were a solid playoff team after 48 games last year too, but couldn't maintain it.
That was a team heading towards an inevitable meltdown.

GrogZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
  #20
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogZilla View Post
LOL Really?

The Leafs were outshot constantly, had above average goaltending & had an unsustainable shooting %.
They made the playoffs because the season ended before they came back down to earth.
They were a solid playoff team after 48 games last year too, but couldn't maintain it.

That was a team heading towards an inevitable meltdown.
Shots/shooting percentage could be interpreted as either a sign of strength or weakness. What percent of shooting% can really be attributed to luck? Unanswerable questions in isolation - games need to be watched. And when I watched the Leafs, I often a saw a team that worked very hard, was tough to play against, and had a good mix of skill and grit. My only concern with them is their youth, but I did pick them to beat the Bruins in 7.

BTW, Leafs only had Lupul for 1/3 of the season this year. Check out his numbers. He's pretty good.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:20 PM
  #21
Proto
Registered User
 
Proto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Shots/shooting percentage could be interpreted as either a sign of strength or weakness. What percent of shooting% can really be attributed to luck? Unanswerable questions in isolation - games need to be watched. And when I watched the Leafs, I often a saw a team that worked very hard, was tough to play against, and had a good mix of skill and grit. My only concern with them is their youth, but I did pick them to beat the Bruins in 7.

BTW, Leafs only had Lupul for 1/3 of the season this year. Check out his numbers. He's pretty good.
Quite answerable questions, actually. Easily answerable. Eminently answerable. Answerably answerable!

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:23 PM
  #22
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,131
vCash: 500
Sharks are so bad they were one win worse than us.

:

Talk about overrating our own team and underrating everyone else.

Just because we think they are an easier match up doesn't mean they are bad.

We have to play well to beat anybody. This isn't 2011. We can't sneak past anyone playing 2 periods anymore. He have to play well.

When the Canucks play well they can beat anyone. They just don't play we'll consistently.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:25 PM
  #23
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,364
vCash: 500
who knows.. it seems Gillis is allowed to make excuses, or is just really good at justifying them. Better than Nonis atleast.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:28 PM
  #24
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Sharks are so bad they were one win worse than us.
And one win worse than the Leafs.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:43 PM
  #25
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,672
vCash: 50
AV is on the hot seat if we don't make it to at least the Conference Finals.

I think Gillis is safe for this year, it'll be next year that decides his fate ultimately.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.