HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Free Agent Banter

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Sens4Cup

vCash: 500
Free Agent Banter

This post is to guess as to possible destinations of free agents. Please everyone feel free to post where you think top free agents are going and keep in mind the possible cap, thus every top player going to the Leafs or Wings or Stars is unlikely.

Forwards:
Paul Kariya - Vancouver - is a B.C. boy, and hasn't succeeded in Colorado, would also be a welcome addition if Naslund doesn't return, but could also bring the Sedins up a level, or play with Reid/Kesler if they make the big club. Is strong defensively and explosive offensively.

Glen Murray - Toronto - I'll go out on a limb here as Toronto will likely lose Mogilny, and possibly Nolan, as they won't be rushing to resign either of them given their touch and go tenure with the Leafs. Murray is a top right winger who could play with Sundin and score 30-40 goals consistently. While this wouldn't make the Leafs much younger it would at least shave a few years off.

Scott Neidermayer - Vancouver - is a very proud B.C. boy, and is unlikely to resign with NJ given their disputes last year about resigning him. Would be a great addition to any team, but would solidify the Vancouver defense greatly, giving a solid Top-3 of Jovo, Onhlund, and Scotty. Would have to take a pay cut however.

Chris Pronger - Ottawa - assuming he becomes a UFA in the new system, I could see Ottawa springing for his talent, especially if they go with Prusek and Emery in net, in order to give them every opportunity to succeed with the most solid defense in the league. Ottawa would likely have cap room to spare to sign him, and could greatly use a second huge defenseman to log close to 30 minutes a game, like Chara does. Would provide a great partner for Redden.

Nikolai Khabibulin - Tampa Bay - while the rumors continue about Grahame taking over, I don't see it happening after the Bulin-wall carries them to the Cup.

Ziggy Palffy - NY Islanders - They'll continue to try and find a partner for Yashin, and Palffy may fit the bill. Though payroll concerns may decrease the chance of this happening.

Sergei Gonchar - Philadelphia - Philly's defense will need some upgrading as they've likely lost Ragnarsson and other than Pitkanen don't have a strong offensive defenseman, as Desjardins is waning in his production.

Owen Nolan - Calgary - purely hypothetical, but he could be a great 2nd liner after Iginla, and plays a strong Sutter-style game. He had his best years under Sutter in San Jose, and Sutter could play a huge role in getting him to Calgary.

Brian Leetch - NY - kind of a given that if he resigns with anyone, it will be NY.

Eric Desjardins - Montreal - If Philly doesn't resign him, I could see Montreal making a pitch, as they have a low payroll and will have room to spare with Brisebois gone. Desjardins won a cup with MTL in '93 and would solidify their defense.

Cory Stillman - Boston - could come cheap and play a top-six role. While he may not maintain a PPG pace, he can likely come up with 25 goals and 40-50 assists playing with either Bergeron or Thornton.

Pavol Demitra - NY - Sather loves signing injury prone overpaid players so why would next season be any exception. Don't get me wrong Demitra's great, just prone to injuries and overpaid.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Nolan is under contract with the Leafs for 2005-2006. If he goes anywhere it will be by buyout or trade.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:25 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I'm sure I could go over each one and say why it wouldn't happen, but that's just not me. The only one of those that makes no sense at all is Pronger to Ottawa. Granted, he'd be a great addition to their team, but the contract he will demand (and get) will be better spent on a more pressing need for the team.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
sparr0w

If financially possible, which I doubt, I see the Wings making a pitch at either Kovalev or Murray to add scoring size to the wing. Personally I'd say Kovalev would be the better fit. He's playing a lot on Datsyuk's wing on the Russian team and has had great success with Lang in the past.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup

Scott Neidermayer - Vancouver - is a very proud B.C. boy, and is unlikely to resign with NJ given their disputes last year about resigning him. Would be a great addition to any team, but would solidify the Vancouver defense greatly, giving a solid Top-3 of Jovo, Onhlund, and Scotty. Would have to take a pay cut however.

Chris Pronger - Ottawa - assuming he becomes a UFA in the new system, I could see Ottawa springing for his talent, especially if they go with Prusek and Emery in net, in order to give them every opportunity to succeed with the most solid defense in the league. Ottawa would likely have cap room to spare to sign him, and could greatly use a second huge defenseman to log close to 30 minutes a game, like Chara does. Would provide a great partner for Redden.

Ziggy Palffy - NY Islanders - They'll continue to try and find a partner for Yashin, and Palffy may fit the bill. Though payroll concerns may decrease the chance of this happening.

Sergei Gonchar - Philadelphia - Philly's defense will need some upgrading as they've likely lost Ragnarsson and other than Pitkanen don't have a strong offensive defenseman, as Desjardins is waning in his production.

Brian Leetch - NY - kind of a given that if he resigns with anyone, it will be NY.

Pavol Demitra - NY - Sather loves signing injury prone overpaid players so why would next season be any exception. Don't get me wrong Demitra's great, just prone to injuries and overpaid.
Leetch-if he goes back to the nyr,do the Leafs have enough freed up salary+rollbacks to make a run at Neidermayer or Pronger?..if Leetch stays with the Leafs,I'd expect the rangers to spend their cap money on defense,not Demitra.

Neidermayer-rejected the Devils $7m a yr offer last season.I don't see another team topping that under a cap.Is the offer still on the table from NJ once the new cba is signed?If Neidermayer leaves NJ,they gonna make a run at Pronger using that $7m?

Palffy-rejected LA's 3 yr/$21m offer.Isles have cheaper rws in Hunter,Parrish,Weinhandl,Asham and will spend their money on defense.I'd love to see them make a run at an elite d-man like Neidermayer or Pronger,but expect them to sign lesser d-men like Aucoin/Hamrlik.

Gonchar-B's will have more cap room then Philly.If Boston and Philly's offers were close,I'd expect him to sign with Philly.Boston's going to be undergoing a major overhaul.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Have you been paying attention to what's been going on with the Rangers.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Matty

Pronger - I'm gonna go out on a limb here, if he doesn't resign with St Louis I think a team like Atlanta would make tons of sense. All they're missing is a Dman to build their back end around and Pronger would fit the bill. Plus, under a potentially restrictive cap, Atlanta would be one team that could afford his contract.

Great post BTW. Lots of fun

Old
05-04-2005, 03:02 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
Pronger - I'm gonna go out on a limb here, if he doesn't resign with St Louis I think a team like Atlanta would make tons of sense. All they're missing is a Dman to build their back end around and Pronger would fit the bill. Plus, under a potentially restrictive cap, Atlanta would be one team that could afford his contract.

Great post BTW. Lots of fun
I completely agree. I see a lot of these guys heading to the young upstart teams. Especially with a cap floor in place.

Old
05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Sens4Cup

Team Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Nolan is under contract with the Leafs for 2005-2006. If he goes anywhere it will be by buyout or trade.
I thought the Leafs held a team option on Nolan's contract at 7.5 million for 2005-2006 but that he didn't have a definite contract? Anybody know for sure?

Old
05-04-2005, 03:37 PM
HF2002

Some players are going to have to now decide what they really want: go for the contract or try to win the Cup. A guy like Pronger has the option to go for either. Try to get a bigger contract with a team that has the cap room but may not have a legitimate shot, or take an offer that's not really what he thinks he can get elsewhere but gives him his best shot at winning the Cup. Hey, Kariya tried it without the pressure of a cap.

It will be interesting when the League gets going one day. What is the real motivation for some players?

Old
05-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
I thought the Leafs held a team option on Nolan's contract at 7.5 million for 2005-2006 but that he didn't have a definite contract? Anybody know for sure?
It's 6.5, and yes I do know for sure that it isn't optional.

I suspect the Leafs will do something with his contract.

He's their only big-money forward other than Sundin, and with so many free agents available I'm quite sure they are considering other options up front. Nolan suffered two serious injuries last season alone and the Leafs may just buy him out if he won't renegotiate.

Old
05-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

There isn't even a vague chance that the Isles sign Palffy. If they have dollars to spend, and room on the payroll, they'll look to rebuild the defense first. With Hunter, Parrish, Weinhandl, and others, RW is not a priority.

Old
05-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I still believe the Kings will sign Kariya.

Old
05-04-2005, 05:06 PM
sparr0w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I still believe the Kings will sign Kariya.
LOL he'd be dead before Christmas. Combining an injury bitten player with an injury bitten team isn't a good idea. Staples is cursed I tell ya. It caught a handful of Wings last season, most notably Kronwall breaking his leg on a rut during warmups.

Old
05-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
Boston will sign:

Neidermayer or Aucoin, Demitra or Palffy and will resign Gonchar.

Boston is going into a major rebuild, and what better way to do it than to get a franchise defenseman and an elite winger?

I'd love to see this lineup

Samsonov-Thornton-Palffy
Bergeron-Demitra-Hilbert
Axelsson-Boyes-Lapointe
Orr-Lacouture-Fitzgerald

Neidermayer-Gonchar
Boynton-Stuart
Gill-Jurcina

Raycroft
Toivonen

Cup for sure with that *****in' lineup.

Old
05-04-2005, 05:48 PM
salty justice

Expect the Hawks to overpay for one of the following: Murray, Palffy, Demitra, Kariya, Allison.

I hope it's Murray. Pulford promised Hawk fans that as soon as the lockout is over he will sign two first line UFA forwards. Im not expecting two, but I think one is likely.

Old
05-04-2005, 06:06 PM
burgess1978

IMO ...

Even with Brisebois gone, Montreal don't need Desjardins (Markov, Souray, Hainsey, Rivet, Komisarek, Bouillon). He'll re-sign with Philly.

Owan Nolan's contract has a clause that rolled the final year over if the 2004-2005 season was lost due to lockout. Regardless of the state of the option with T.O. he's under contract.

Old
05-04-2005, 09:39 PM
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
It's 6.5, and yes I do know for sure that it isn't optional.

I suspect the Leafs will do something with his contract.

He's their only big-money forward other than Sundin, and with so many free agents available I'm quite sure they are considering other options up front. Nolan suffered two serious injuries last season alone and the Leafs may just buy him out if he won't renegotiate.
That will be an interesting piece of CBA negotiations, buyout rates as well as the % of the buyout that will count toward the cap. Those are bigs question we'll need answered before that happens

Old
05-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
If Toronto buys out Nolan I think Ottawa would maybe take a look at him.

Old
05-04-2005, 09:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I don't think the Flyers will be hot after Gonchar. They'll look at someone on Ragnarsson's level and ability. With Johnsson, Desjardins, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, the offense will take care of itself. We need someone who can be on out top PK unit.

Old
05-04-2005, 11:14 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I don't think the Flyers will be hot after Gonchar. They'll look at someone on Ragnarsson's level and ability. With Johnsson, Desjardins, Pitkanen, Seidenberg, the offense will take care of itself. We need someone who can be on out top PK unit.

I agree, I imagine the Flyers are looking at two specific places: a top 4 d-man to replace Rags, and a 2nd line LW. I would imagine we'd be after a more defensive-minded d-man, and younger than Ragnarsson to boot. Anyone UFA fit that bill? Or a scoring line left winger?

Old
05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Aaron Miller!

Old
05-04-2005, 11:16 PM
mercury

Younger than Aaron Miller, I think.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I'll take Aaron Miller as long as he won't be looking for more than around $1.7

Old
05-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Sens4Cup

Definite Possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
If Toronto buys out Nolan I think Ottawa would maybe take a look at him.
I agree. Ottawa would love to have a guy with his leadership in the dressing room. Probably he'd have to sign a Lindros-type contract with a small salary, and bonuses for games played and performance. Depends if Ottawa wants Eaves to play for the Sens in Ottawa or Bingo next year too.

Closed Thread