HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 7.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
  #301
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury10 View Post
Please no Bowey with our first pick or Cal/Nas 2nds. I've seen him play live 5 or 6 times this year and he is a river boat gambler with some crafty offensive moves but he is more like a forward playing defense than a defenseman with offensive upside. He gets burned often and doesn't bust his a$$ getting back. He may get better with age/coaching but we don't need a player like that.
I'm gonna have to disagree. I've seen him hustle plenty. His defensive game has improved a whole lot since breaking into the league and I think that's what stands out along with his puck moving skills.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 12:18 AM
  #302
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That wasn't the Bowey that showed up at the U-18. He was really good and played like a defenceman.



Someone at the prospect board ripped big time earlier this week when I said McCoshen could be a big riser due to his upside, I can only assume he has seen him play (unlike probably most of us):

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=74
What this guy said is true... This is who he his right now... But I think he concentrates on his immediate flaws a bit too much. He has a lot of qualities right now and he's a really interesting project. He's really mobile though, don't buy into what he's saying.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 01:06 AM
  #303
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
I think we're going to be drafting at least 2 players from the Q with our first 4 picks. It's a good year for players from the QMJHL, especially late 1st/2nd round prospects.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 02:49 AM
  #304
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,003
vCash: 50
Would it be worth it to package our 1st (26th) and our 2nd (56th) to move up a bit in the 1st round this year...say close to the 15th-18th range.

ottawa* is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 03:03 AM
  #305
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That wasn't the Bowey that showed up at the U-18. He was really good and played like a defenceman.



Someone at the prospect board ripped big time earlier this week when I said McCoshen could be a big riser due to his upside, I can only assume he has seen him play (unlike probably most of us):

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=74
Sounds like a classic "all-tools-no-toolbox" kind of player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
What this guy said is true... This is who he his right now... But I think he concentrates on his immediate flaws a bit too much. He has a lot of qualities right now and he's a really interesting project. He's really mobile though, don't buy into what he's saying.
Still, with those flaws, is he really worth a 1st rd pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Would it be worth it to package our 1st (26th) and our 2nd (56th) to move up a bit in the 1st round this year...say close to the 15th-18th range.
With a draft as unpredictable as this year's, there's no way we can answer that right now. If there's a player that Timmins absolutely loves and sees above those still on the board and he's convinced he won't be there where we pick it might be worth it.

Guilliam is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 05:06 AM
  #306
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
The three big prospects from the Q are my favourites in this year's draft. Each one of them brings something that the Habs project to need in the future and they're all potentially around our pick.

Mantha - Big, high-scoring LW prospect. Brings some grit and defensive ability. Hudon and Bozon are our other top-end LW prospects, neither are a sure-thing and bring the same size and skillset as our RW prospects.

Morin - Big, shutdown defenceman with some offensive ability. Can hit and is quite mobile. We're obviously quite deep in defence prospects, not many with his size or defensive ability.

Gauthier - Big, defensive shutdown player with playmaking capabilities. We have no centers with his size. Though, Bournival, Dumont, and Leblanc all play good defensive games, perhaps not at Gauthier's projected level.

If this were NHL13 I'd trade up and draft all of them It would mean the end of our rebuild and another great wave of prospects coming after Gallyx2, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Mantha and Morin are high-risk, high-reward type players. Gauthier is the surest one to make the NHL and isn't a risky pick, he'll likely end up a 3rd/4th liner at the very least.

Draft is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 05:15 AM
  #307
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Who would everyone choose between Anthony Mantha and Valentin Zykov?

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 05:17 AM
  #308
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
Who would everyone choose between Anthony Mantha and Valentin Zykov?
I think most people here would choose Zykov. Mantha doesn't play as physically. I'd put it between Rychel, Zykov and Mantha.

Draft is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 05:30 AM
  #309
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I think most people here would choose Zykov. Mantha doesn't play as physically. I'd put it between Rychel, Zykov and Mantha.
Does Frederik Gauthier play as physical? There's another big body that could be sitting there when we pick in the 1st round. I'd lean towards Zykov as well.

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 06:07 AM
  #310
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse View Post
Does Frederik Gauthier play as physical? There's another big body that could be sitting there when we pick in the 1st round. I'd lean towards Zykov as well.
IMO, Gauthier doesn't play as physically as Zykov but he plays a better defensive game. Gauthier still hits a fair amount and doesn't get pushed off the puck but, Zykov is more mature in the hitting and physical part of his game.

Draft is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 06:54 AM
  #311
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That wasn't the Bowey that showed up at the U-18. He was really good and played like a defenceman.



Someone at the prospect board ripped big time earlier this week when I said McCoshen could be a big riser due to his upside, I can only assume he has seen him play (unlike probably most of us):

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=74
But then you have reports like these...

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draf...-round-worthy/

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/ian-mccoshen/17574/

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
  #312
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
No question that there is a group of forwards and defensemen that could be available between the 26 and 36 draft spots that would be solid for us.
Forwards: Mantha, Zykov, Gauthier, +/- Rychel, +/- Horvat (some drafts have Carrier slotted in our spot too but not sure if that's a bit high, at least in the 1st round)
Defense: McCoshen, Morin, Mueller, Hagg

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 07:49 AM
  #313
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Just watched a hockey fight that Mueller was in.....I think he was actually trying to slap rather than punch the other player.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/18150

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
  #314
Mercury10
Registered User
 
Mercury10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vernon, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
I'm gonna have to disagree. I've seen him hustle plenty. His defensive game has improved a whole lot since breaking into the league and I think that's what stands out along with his puck moving skills.
Hey Deke I don't know how many times you have seen him play live. I've seen him about 5 times in Kelowna and specifically paid attention to Bowey. Maybe you have seen him more often and hopefully (if we draft him) you are more accurate than I. What I didn't like about him and how it relates to what I think the Habs need is that his effort level was much higher going on offense than it was when getting back into position after a failed pinch. I also didn't think he was overly physical in his zone and did not appear to be tough to play against. I think most would agree that our current D-core is fairly easy to play against, other than AE. My evaluation is just an opinion obviously but I don't want one of our higher picks to go towards an easy to play against, defensively challenged D-man.

Mercury10 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:38 AM
  #315
BJCOLLINS
Registered User
 
BJCOLLINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Radio Clash on Pirate Satelite
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
Draft question

When the NHL amended the draft lottery was there any change regarding the order for teams 16 through 30?

Thinking about where are the Habs now picking now... 16th,? with the Nucks at 15th?

BJCOLLINS is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
  #316
MJG
Registered User
 
MJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 500
That's not correct. 15th pick will go to the playoff team eliminated in the first round with the lowest amount of points in the regular season. 16th will be the team with the second fewest points and so on. I haven't checked and it still isn't set but the Habs will be picking between 20 and 22.

MJG is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
  #317
neil2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Would it be worth it to package our 1st (26th) and our 2nd (56th) to move up a bit in the 1st round this year...say close to the 15th-18th range.
Honestly I would go the other way. I would trade our 1st round pick to move down and pick up 2 or 3 more picks in the 2nd round. Apparently this draft is very deep, and players picked between 18-50 in the draft this year are very similar, so why not try to draft 5 or 6 guys in the first 50 picks this year

neil2005 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 09:47 AM
  #318
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Olympic Champion
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,194
vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
When the NHL amended the draft lottery was there any change regarding the order for teams 16 through 30?

Thinking about where are the Habs now picking now... 16th,? with the Nucks at 15th?
No offence, but it's been discussed several times in this thread in the last few pages...Right now, we're picking 26th. The highest we can go is 23rd if the Pens-Blackhawks-Ducks all do not make the conference finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And I'll add they are pretty complimentary of his work in the THN draft preview (one scout says he's a close to 30 minutes per game player, another says he can play against the other teams top players, etc). Just found it noteworthy how anti-McCoshen that poster was.


Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 05-11-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  #319
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil2005 View Post
Honestly I would go the other way. I would trade our 1st round pick to move down and pick up 2 or 3 more picks in the 2nd round. Apparently this draft is very deep, and players picked between 18-50 in the draft this year are very similar, so why not try to draft 5 or 6 guys in the first 50 picks this year
Ya it is funny that everyone wants to trade the 2nds for a move up BUT in a draft like this with this much depth maybe the better move would be to trade the 26th for a couple 2nd's or a 2nd-3rd-4th perhaps.

The more picks ...gives more chance for TT to swing for a homerun with a couple of the picks and still draft what he believes in.

From 15-50 these players are all over the board so this means all are pretty equal so the more picks you have the better chance to have a great draft.

Nitehowl is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 10:48 AM
  #320
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
And I'll add they are pretty complimentary of his work in the THN draft preview (one scout says he's a close to 30 minutes per game player, another says he can play against the other teams top players, etc). Just found it noteworthy how anti-McCoshen that poster was.
Hey, I have no problem with that....he might have seen all the bad games McCoshen might have add...you know....like me with Hudon....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  #321
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
The three big prospects from the Q are my favourites in this year's draft. Each one of them brings something that the Habs project to need in the future and they're all potentially around our pick.

Mantha - Big, high-scoring LW prospect. Brings some grit and defensive ability. Hudon and Bozon are our other top-end LW prospects, neither are a sure-thing and bring the same size and skillset as our RW prospects.

Morin - Big, shutdown defenceman with some offensive ability. Can hit and is quite mobile. We're obviously quite deep in defence prospects, not many with his size or defensive ability.

Gauthier - Big, defensive shutdown player with playmaking capabilities. We have no centers with his size. Though, Bournival, Dumont, and Leblanc all play good defensive games, perhaps not at Gauthier's projected level.

If this were NHL13 I'd trade up and draft all of them It would mean the end of our rebuild and another great wave of prospects coming after Gallyx2, Tinordi and Beaulieu. Mantha and Morin are high-risk, high-reward type players. Gauthier is the surest one to make the NHL and isn't a risky pick, he'll likely end up a 3rd/4th liner at the very least.
I really like this years draft class and especially some of the guys from the Q. I like all 3 you mentioned, but I'm also liking the guys in the next tier like Dauphin, Laplant & Paquin... I think there will be some good ones coming from the Q this year. Hopefully we get the best one!

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
  #322
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,668
vCash: 500
I'm fully on board with Mantha as our first rounder right now. So much so that I wouldn't mind trading up for him. I don't think he gets by Boston.

hogtownhabsfan is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  #323
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
When the NHL amended the draft lottery was there any change regarding the order for teams 16 through 30?

Thinking about where are the Habs now picking now... 16th,? with the Nucks at 15th?
"The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners are then sorted by points, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks."

So basically we need to root against Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Anaheim as they are all guaranteed to pick behind us anyway. We can then leap frog any other team that makes it to the conference finals.

So in essence, we are picking in the 26th-23rd range, and will probably end up picking 25th.

Having Boston make it to the conference finals would be helpful, as I don't see them passing on Mantha and he's the guy I want right now.

hogtownhabsfan is online now  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
  #324
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Ya it is funny that everyone wants to trade the 2nds for a move up BUT in a draft like this with this much depth maybe the better move would be to trade the 26th for a couple 2nd's or a 2nd-3rd-4th perhaps.

The more picks ...gives more chance for TT to swing for a homerun with a couple of the picks and still draft what he believes in.

From 15-50 these players are all over the board so this means all are pretty equal so the more picks you have the better chance to have a great draft.
Trade our 2nd for LA two 5th and their 3rd. Timmins with 2 5th

Treb is offline  
Old
05-11-2013, 11:57 AM
  #325
hogtownhabsfan
Registered User
 
hogtownhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,668
vCash: 500
I can just see Mantha as the prime target.

-Big and strong
-Physical and willing to fight and stand up for teammates
-Fantastic skating and puck skills
-Put up huge numbers in the Q
-Quebecois


I'd trade up into the late teens to secure him. I think he has all the characteristics to be a legit top 6 scoring wing with size who can fight.

hogtownhabsfan is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.