HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good start for Kastsitsyn!!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 04:58 AM
Subban Fan

vCash: 500
Good start for Kastsitsyn!!!

According to Trevor Timmins, Kastsitsyn is having a good start in Russia. He said that he is very happy to see AK making the big club in the Super league. He noticed that he played very well at his first game on a first line with Zherdev...

Source: Le Soleil, September 25th

Old
09-25-2003, 05:33 AM
Le depisteur

I am in a hurry to see Kastsitsyn on Cressent street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
According to Trevor Timmins, Kastsitsyn is having a good start in Russia. He said that he is very happy to see AK making the big club in the Super league. He noticed that he played very well at his first game on a first line with Zherdev...

Finally good news concerning our prospects... I am disappointed a little bit about Higgins and Perezhogin, but I know that it is only one question of time and adaptation... And with the 3pts yestersday performance of Urquhart, the future seems good...

Old
09-25-2003, 05:37 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur
Finally a good news relating to our prospects... I am disappointed a little bit about Higgins and Perezhogin, but I know that it is only one question of time and adaptation... And with the 3pts yestersday performance of Urquhart, the future seems good...
The only way one can be disapointed with Higgins and Perezhogin at this point is if he had unrealistic expectations about them. They are progressing well since they were drafted but nothing indicated they would come to camp and tare everything appart. It was pretty obvious they would need some seasoning in the AHL, for about a year, before being NHL ready.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:03 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
The only way one can be disapointed with Higgins and Perezhogin at this point is if he had unrealistic expectations about them. They are progressing well since they were drafted but nothing indicated they would come to camp and tare everything appart. It was pretty obvious they would need some seasoning in the AHL, for about a year, before being NHL ready.
From what I read here Higgins was doing well; has anything changed?

All-Star

Old
09-25-2003, 06:14 AM
Corey

In the preseason games, Higgins has been playing on line combinations with such offensive stars as Blouin, Dwyer, Dackell, Juneau, and Ferland. He has also been on the PK units. Is he expected to rack up points?

Old
09-25-2003, 06:16 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Finally good news concerning our prospects... I am disappointed a little bit about Higgins and Perezhogin, but I know that it is only one question of time and adaptation... And with the 3pts yestersday performance of Urquhart, the future seems good...
I would say that both Higgins and Perezhogin are developing just fine. It is a rare breed indeed (like a Heatley or Kovalchuk) who can blend into a current NHL at such a young age and not look partially out of place.

As for Higgins, he had a really solid rookie camp and tournament, and was the best player there in many people's eyes (I only saw one game but he was heads and shoulders above them all). He is getting little ice time compared to the veteran players in the pre-season, but that is to be expected. This kid only played about 35 games last season, so ease him in to the long schedule in the AHL/NHL and let him get used to the much bigger and faster game than the NCAA that he is used to. Let him get some good conditioning at Hamilton, and he is likely to see quite a few games with the big club if all goes well (not on the top two lines yet, that will come down the road).

As for Perezhogin, he is adjusting to a lot of changes: new city, new teammates, new country, new culture, new language, smaller rinks, bigger and more physical style of hockey, etc. This young man has lots of speed and skill and he will need some time adjusting to the NA way of life and the NA style of hockey. A year in Hamilton with lots of ice time would be perfect for him IMO, then see what he can do next season when all the grey beards contracts run out.

As for other good news stories on our prospects:

Ryder - surprising most as to how he looks NHL ready (not top line ready, but at least ready to make the next jump if there is a spot on the 3rd or 4th line).

Archer - a pleasant surprise at rookie camp/tourney. He has really filled out compared to those that saw him last year. A no nonsense defensive defenceman with decent lateral movement for a big guy. Should be good in Hamilton.

Ferland - a very energetic, big forward with really good scoring touch. His speed seems to have improved from last year. Still sticking around in the big camp longer than most would have thought.

Pleks - fast and gifted, showing folks in the big camp his real skill. Still needs some size to make the leap to the bigs, but really gifted.

Anyway, that is just a sample of all the comments that have been made about our prospects. All in all, pretty promising, but patience is critical as it takes time to eventually crack the NHL (just as Ward and Garon).

Old
09-25-2003, 09:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Ha thats funny. Guess Timmins doesn't follow the RSL or he thinks the rest of us don't. Kastsitsyn has 1 pt and has not played in 4 of the 6 games the team has played. He has not played in the last 2 games, and I have no idea why. I was hoping someone from the organization could clue us in as to why he keeps sitting out.

So far Kasty has played 2 games on the 4th line with 1 assist on the game winning goal. Sound like a good start?

Old
09-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Ha thats funny. Guess Timmins doesn't follow the RSL or he thinks the rest of us don't. Kastsitsyn has 1 pt and has not played in 4 of the 6 games the team has played. He has not played in the last 2 games, and I have no idea why. I was hoping someone from the organization could clue us in as to why he keeps sitting out.

So far Kasty has played 2 games on the 4th line with 1 assist on the game winning goal. Sound like a good start?
I"m a little bit confused too...

Old
09-25-2003, 09:47 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Finally good news concerning our prospects... I am disappointed a little bit about Higgins and Perezhogin, but I know that it is only one question of time and adaptation...
That's why I always said people don't know ****. Developping players takes up to 6 years. Savard himself said that once they draft a player it takes 6-7 years before they usally have an IMPACT. That means playing in all aspect of the game, being established in the locker room and giving a consitant game.

So what people are expecting? That our prospects are gonna turn into stars within 3 years. Yesterday someone said that with a few trades and with our upcoming players, we're only 3 years short of being good! And someone will said it tommorow too!

Old
09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
That's why I always said people don't know ****. Developping players takes up to 6 years. Savard himself said that once they draft a player it takes 6-7 years before they usally have an IMPACT. That means playing in all aspect of the game, being established in the locker room and giving a consitant game.

So what people are expecting? That our prospects are gonna turn into stars within 3 years. Yesterday someone said that with a few trades and with our upcoming players, we're only 3 years short of being good! And someone will said it tommorow too!
It's not the best sign for Higgins and Perezhogin (both 20 years old) to play necessary in the AHL... 2-3 years after the draft... OK, they need to adapt with the NHL play, but if we want have impact players for the future, Higgins and Perezhogin should be more dominant... I am disappointed because it was said that one of them was going to make the club, but that doesn't seem anymore to be true for the moment... On the other hand, they must have a huge season with Hamilton, if not it will be really worrying... but i am confident...

Old
09-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
It's not the best sign for Higgins and Perezhogin (both 20 years old) to play necessary in the AHL... 2-3 years after the draft... OK, they need to adapt with the NHL play, but if we want have impact players for the future, Higgins and Perezhogin should be more dominant... I am disappointed because it was said that one of them was going to make the club, but that doesn't seem anymore to be true for the moment... On the other hand, they must have a huge season with Hamilton, if not it will be really worrying... but i am confident...
I totally agree with you...

Old
09-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

Ah and just like that everyones hopes and dreams come crashing down.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:12 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
The fact that you tell me that and that komi#1 agrees with you shows what people on the board are. Young fans with little vision of the game.

The simple fact that Higgins shown he's a smart player, fast in the nhl standards and has a good shot is good for now. I saw Perezhogin. He's got sick skills. But he's still very raw. So what? It takes very long time to develop players.

Look at the top scorers this year. Forsberg joined the nhl at 21 yo. Naslund improved a lot from 24 yo to 30 ****ing years old. Thornton, one of the best nhler done nothing when he first joined the nhl. Hejduk joined at 23 years old. Bertuzzi blossomed at 26 yo. Demitra blossomed at 24 years old. Murray blossomed at 28 yo (don't tell me Thornton is why he's now a star player, I knew Murray before and he's one heck of a good goal scorer). etc etc etc

so "mets ça dans ta pipe"... and wait! In average it takes 5 to 7 years after a player is drafted until they make a decent impact on the team. And after that they keep on improving!

Old
09-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
The fact that you tell me that and that komi#1 agrees with you shows what people on the board are. Young fans with little vision of the game.

The simple fact that Higgins shown he's a smart player, fast in the nhl standards and has a good shot is good for now. I saw Perezhogin. He's got sick skills. But he's still very raw. So what? It takes very long time to develop players.

Look at the top scorers this year. Forsberg joined the nhl at 21 yo. Naslund improved a lot from 24 yo to 30 ****ing years old. Thornton, one of the best nhler done nothing when he first joined the nhl. Hejduk joined at 23 years old. Bertuzzi blossomed at 26 yo. Demitra blossomed at 24 years old. Murray blossomed at 28 yo (don't tell me Thornton is why he's now a star player, I knew Murray before and he's one heck of a good goal scorer). etc etc etc

so "mets ça dans ta pipe"... and wait! In average it takes 5 to 7 years after a player is drafted until they make a decent impact on the team. And after that they keep on improving!
Thornton: played immediately after his draft... at 18 years old... no AHL....
Forsberg: played in NHL at 21... no AHL...
Hejduk: played in NHL at 23... no AHL...
Bertuzzi: played 2 years after his draft... no AHL...
Demitra: played immediately after his draft... at 18 years old... 2 years in AHL/NHL...
Murray: played in NHL 1 year after his draft... at 19 years old... 1 year in AHL/NHL...

In brief, you give me only exceptions, man... how many players with good skills hadn't make the NHL or became only minor impact player in played in AHL. It's not a good sign to play in AHL, expecially if you are 20 years old... It's not a panic now, but Higgins and Perezhogin should have a big numbers with Hamilton... if not, it will be serious...

A young fan with little vision of the game for too much confident "expert"...

Old
09-25-2003, 11:53 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
It's not a good sign to play in AHL, expecially if you are 20 years old

Wow that means Spezza's probably a bust, they should trade him right now before he becomes another Daigle.

Dont forget two years ago Markov played in the AHL, so did Komisarek, but are you panicking with them?? Are you afraid about Ryder and Ward too????

Its completly irrationnal to actually believe they'll make an impact right away. I agree with ax+ etc. that it shows what kind of people post here sometimes. I wanted to see Higgins and Perezhogin, but from what I saw up to now, I won't be disapointed if they start in the AHL. They undenyable top line talent, and its really more important to developp a player to be good in a few years then risk destroying him by bringing him too raw. Hockey talent isnt different then other talents, some people are close to their peaks early(Lemieux, Kovalchuck, Selanne, Kariya) and some with higher peaks start lower(Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kovalev, Murray, Lecavalier) and take more time , but its the end result that matters.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:53 AM
SuperUnknown

John Leclair started playing a few years after he was drafted, same for Joe Juneau, etc... The players that come from the NCAA usually get in the NHL a few years after they are drafted, which is the reason why a few years ago the teams were more reluctant to draft NCAA players.

Thornton struggled during his first year, he was kept on the fourth line (and didn't play a lot of minutes), even sometimes skipping games. Pierre-Marc Bouchard had the same treatment last year. In Montreal, the fans would scream bloody murder if we were to keep a young player on the fourth line playing minimal ice-time and sometimes looking at the game from the press box...

Demitra played 12 games the year after being drafted on a pathetic Ottawa team back then. He didn't start producing until three years after he was drafted.

Habs fans need to make themselves a reason... Either we play the young players sooner on the fourth line with minimal ice-time and sometimes we scratch them off the roster or else we let them develop longer into our farm system and bring them up when they're ready, a few years later.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:58 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Well our situation is different. They're not ready. And the AHL is seen as an useful tool now by the GM. Spezza might become the best (offensively wise) center in the league, and he spent time in the ahl... There's more and more player developping there now. It's a question of getting the very best, that means taking the time to develop them somewhere else if it's an available tool. Also, with Gainey, we'll be in a defensive system. Spending a year with Jarvis in the AHL means you get out of there with your diploma. Don't tell me that I'm taking only exeptions. It's like that now. Just live with the fact that it takes more than 5 years before a drafted player makes an "impact". AHL is now a very good developement league, and more than ever it's the best place to develop the young players. Why not putting them in the AHL? ****.... I mean, people like you make me ask myself why I lost so much time telling you it takes a LOT of time to develop a player. You'll see in a few years.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Wow that means Spezza's probably a bust, they should trade him right now before he becomes another Daigle.

Dont forget two years ago Markov played in the AHL, so did Komisarek, but are you panicking with them?? Are you afraid about Ryder and Ward too????

Its completly irrationnal to actually believe they'll make an impact right away. I agree with ax+ etc. that it shows what kind of people post here sometimes. I wanted to see Higgins and Perezhogin, but from what I saw up to now, I won't be disapointed if they start in the AHL. They undenyable top line talent, and its really more important to developp a player to be good in a few years then risk destroying him by bringing him too raw. Hockey talent isnt different then other talents, some people are close to their peaks early(Lemieux, Kovalchuck, Selanne, Kariya) and some with higher peaks start lower(Naslund, Bertuzzi, Kovalev, Murray, Lecavalier) and take more time , but its the end result that matters.
Senators hadn't room for Spezza... and he made big numbers in AHL... Ryders is an beautiful exception... Markov too... Komisarek played 21 games in NHL last year... but why you think like this??? It's not a good start to Perezhogin and Higgins to play in the AHL this year and they aren't able to crack the lineup... but they are young, yes, but it is not as expected... Generally, they aren't the best players who played in the AHL... I don't want to be pessimistic, but nothing is sure with them...

Old
09-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Habsaku

Thats exactly the problem here in Montreal, it seems that the past few years the fans have been in control of the team and it shows. We are not patient enough and we always ask why our youngsters are better elsewhere. I mean worrying about a 20 year old who just came from Russia is ridiculous. We should wait at the very least until he's 25 to judge his capacities but even then were not sure. I just hope Gainey will stick with his no-nonsense attitude regarding the fans, the media and the players. Im just happy we have a smart patient guy at the front office.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Senators hadn't room for Spezza

No room for a guy that talented??? Id say his defense was atrocious and he needed some seasoning. I mean how many exceptions do we have here in Montreal? Teams are relying more and more on their farm system in the AHL, why? Because the Senators and the Devils do it and it sure as hell works as they are the best teams for youngsters. It seems that your only arguing for the sake of it.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Subban Fan

Quote:

You dont seem to understand my point man! I dont say that Higgins and Perezhogin wont become good players because they wont play in NHL this year. I dont say that they need to have immediate impact in NHL. I say that it is not the best progression that i was wishing for them. I tought one of them would be able to make the team this year. There are plenty of players who played in the league at 18.19 or 20 years old. I was just hoping that Higgs and Perez would be part of this group. Here are a list of forward who were draft in 1st round since 95 who played in NHL at those age without playing in AHL...

Shane Doan, Daymond Langkow, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Sergei Samsonov, Brendan Morrow, Vincent Lecavalier, David Legwand, Alex Tanguay, Simon Gagné, Scott Gomez, Martin Havlat, Dany Heatley, Marian Gaborik, Alexander Frolov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Stanislav Chistov, Stephen Weiss, Alexander Svitov, Ales Hemsky etc...

Do you think it's a good sign if you play in NHL at 18, 19 or 20 years old? It's not so hard to understand...

A young fan with a little vision of the game.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Do you think it's a good sign if you play in NHL at 18, 19 or 20 years old? It's not so hard to understand...
Sorry man, thats not what you said. You clearly said that it was NOT a good sign to play in the AHL at 20. You never mentionned what I put in the quote and wed never argue against it. The fact of the matter is, were going through a period of change and more teams will rely on the AHL because it has become a competitive league with a lot of talent. Its not the rock'em sock'em league it used to be. I watched Bulldogs games last year and I can assure you that its a pretty high level of play.

Anyway if Komi made the team at the end of the year, why not Higgins and Zhogs.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:28 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Shane Doan, Daymond Langkow, Jarome Iginla, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, Sergei Samsonov, Brendan Morrow, Vincent Lecavalier, David Legwand, Alex Tanguay, Simon Gagné, Scott Gomez, Martin Havlat, Dany Heatley, Marian Gaborik, Alexander Frolov, Ilya Kovalchuk, Stanislav Chistov, Stephen Weiss, Alexander Svitov, Ales Hemsky etc...
Like I said in a previous post, not all these players had an impact during their first year in the NHL. They were given roster spots mostly because of their names and upside. Many of those players started on the 4th line, sometimes in the press box, because they couldn't crack the first three lines or sometimes even the line-up. However, it seems that Habs fans think our prospects should play on the top three lines (with plenty of playtime) or in the AHL. With that mentality, about half of the listed players would have played in the AHL.

Old
09-25-2003, 12:29 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

To say it's not normal for a 20-year-old prospect not to be on an NHL roster yet is absolutely ridiculous. Take for example Higgins, who has never played more than 40 games per season for the past 3 years. He might be have a good work ethic, and the willing to play 82 games, but at sometime during the season, he'll get tired and he'll show much less energy, IMO. Meanwhile, playing in the AHL, where the pressure on his shoulders is not as high as it is in the big league, seems the appropriate place for him. He'll play under Jarvis' directions, and he will probably finish the year with more experience of what really is the job of a two-way forward.

For so many years, the Habs were considered as a team unable to develop prospects, let's not make the same mistake with guys like Higgins, Hainsey and Perezhogin. No need to rush them, as long as they keep on progressing. In my mind, it's definatly going to pay off at some point.

Old
09-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Subban Fan

[Anyway if Komi made the team at the end of the year, why not Higgins and Zhogs.[/QUOTE]

If they make the team at the end of the year, i will be very happy...Then i will think it is a good progression for them. But right now, i can't say that. If they dont make the team next year, i will be disapointed too. I wont be convinced until i saw them play in the big league.

Closed Thread