Article by Eric Francis:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/04/17...ast-home-stand

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:58 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 50
Probably very true, and I agree with him for once (incredible). Hopefully the crowd shows him some love tonight.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Hartley just confirmed Kipper is in on friday as well

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
tyflames

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Hartley supports the tank. I am a big kipper fan but he has been bad this year. Maybe he will show us a good effort in his last few games.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:03 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
To be fair, how can he really know that? What if Kipper comes out tonight and craps the bed?

Unless Hartley is dead set on giving him his send off on Friday..

Last edited by InfinityIggy: 04-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old
04-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Devilspuppet666

this yrea for me has been like the flames season... just blowing **** up and starting from scratch... but im really gonna miss kipper its been a hell of a run for him... and TBH i think hes easily the best tender to ever were the Flaming C

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
MoneyandJohnny

The quiet and modest Finn.

Gonna miss him. He is the reason I am a Flames fan.

I grew up a hockey fan (Kings), but in my later teens took a break from hockey... that is until I heard of a Finnish goalie who had just been traded to Flames and was doing well for the team. Before Kipper there hadnt been any really good goalies from Finland in the NHL, hard to believe now. I became instantly interested... add to that Iginla and this team going to the cup finals. I was totally hooked on being a Flames fan, found hockey again. And all that was due to Kipper.

Now today I will continue to support this team without him as I have grown to love this team all the way. But I gotta thank Kipper for all this!

Weird to have a Flames without Iggy and Kipper... but bring on the young kids and new days!!

MoneyandJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
this yrea for me has been like the flames season... just blowing **** up and starting from scratch... but im really gonna miss kipper its been a hell of a run for him... and TBH i think hes easily the best tender to ever were the Flaming C
One could debate between him and Vernon. Does anyone think the way he has played this year and the fact he won't finish off his contract that may affect whether or not we see his number in the rafters?

Old
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
One could debate between him and Vernon. Does anyone think the way he has played this year and the fact he won't finish off his contract that may affect whether or not we see his number in the rafters?
I think he tops Vernon. Vernon had the advantage of playing on several really good Flames teams which really boosted his stats (not saying he wasn't a great goalie because he was).

Kipper had pretty much of the opposite situation of having to carry a team for the better part of a decade.

I do think recent events could affect his possible number retirement and if there is some bad blood between him and management now, I think we will find out more about it in the off-season.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:14 PM
herashak

Quote:
nope he is still greater than vernon

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
To be fair, can how can he really know that? What if Kipper comes out tonight and craps the bed?

Unless Hartley is dead set on giving him his send off on Friday..
Seems to be this. I think its pretty obvious to everyone that Kipper is probably not coming back just by what he says when he addresses the media. He's been good for the Flames and confirming him for the next game before he even plays this one tells me that they want to make friday his official goodbye.

Flames92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:17 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I think he tops Vernon. Vernon had the advantage of playing on several really good Flames teams which really boosted his stats (not saying he wasn't a great goalie because he was).

Kipper had pretty much of the opposite situation of having to carry a team for the better part of a decade.

I do think recent events could affect his possible number retirement and if there is some bad blood between him and management now, I think we will find out more about it in the off-season.
I hope it does not create bad blood. There was always the thought that Kipper would not play out his last year as he would only make 1.5 million. I'm guessing here, but at the time of the contract it is possible that management thought we would have a Stanley Cup, as we had a solid group 4 or 5 years ago, and Kipper would stick around as a mentor for Irving. Though we know this scenario did not pan out.

Old
04-17-2013, 01:25 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
You dont judge a player on a single 20ish game season.

Kipper is the best Flame goaltender ever, no doubt about that.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
You dont judge a player on a single 20ish game season.

Kipper is the best Flame goaltender ever, no doubt about that.
I wasn't judging him as a player based on that. I was debating whether or not his number will be raised based on how this season has played out.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
I wasn't judging him as a player based on that. I was debating whether or not his number will be raised based on how this season has played out.
He chose to rather retire than be a member of another team. While it probably cost Calgary a second, or third round pick; having him show that he wants to either play here or no where is pretty special.

Once he announces his retirement, and he doesn't play next season and the season after; expect #34 to be hanging.

Pretty funny, having had mega skilled and high end teams throughout most of the 80s and early 90s; it's crazy only 2 numbers are retired in Calgary. Pretty sure 14 should go up there. In the next 5-7 years Calgary should really hang 3 Jerseys (hate the spelling on that lol).

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
tyflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
He chose to rather retire than be a member of another team. While it probably cost Calgary a second, or third round pick; having him show that he wants to either play here or no where is pretty special.

Once he announces his retirement, and he doesn't play next season and the season after; expect #34 to be hanging.

Pretty funny, having had mega skilled and high end teams throughout most of the 80s and early 90s; it's crazy only 2 numbers are retired in Calgary. Pretty sure 14 should go up there. In the next 5-7 years Calgary should really hang 3 Jerseys (hate the spelling on that lol).
I agree. Iggy's will be up there for sure, there is no doubt.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
Quote:
Hartley supports the tank. I am a big kipper fan but he has been bad this year. Maybe he will show us a good effort in his last few games.
Kiprusoff was much better in the games he started after the trade deadline, pretty much playing like the Kipper of old.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I won't miss him at all, just like I don't miss one-way Iginla. Time for the country club to end. No more inmates running the asylum. Kipper pulling an NTC when he didn't negotiate one was bullcrap. Especially after playing like garbage all year long.
Wow, Kipper has carried the team practically since his arrival. This is first terrible season, and last season he was amazing. After everything kipper has done for the Flames he should be able to decide if he wants to retire and end his career here. Heck, if he wants to become Mayor of Calgary, let him!

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
herashak

Quote:
I won't miss him at all, just like I don't miss one-way Iginla. Time for the country club to end. No more inmates running the asylum. Kipper pulling an NTC when he didn't negotiate one was bullcrap. Especially after playing like garbage all year long.
relax

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Wow, Kipper has carried the team practically since his arrival. This is first terrible season, and last season he was amazing. After everything kipper has done for the Flames he should be able to decide if he wants to retire and end his career here. Heck, if he wants to become Mayor of Calgary, let him!
Oh brother. The guy made huge money and signed a contract that he should have honored. He didn't. And this wasn't his first bad season. He was below average in 2008, 2009 and 2011. That's 4 of the past 6 seasons where he provided below average goaltending and people talk about him like he's some sort of God.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

Quote:
Oh brother. The guy made huge money and signed a contract that he should have honored. He didn't. And this wasn't his first bad season. He was below average in 2008, 2009 and 2011. That's 4 of the past 6 seasons where he provided below average goaltending and people talk about him like he's some sort of God.
Save percentage isn't everything, goalies on better defensively minded teams typically have better SV% then ones who are not. It's why Cam Ward is generally well respected as a top goalie. What Kipper did in the past was steal us games. He won games for us when we should have lost. Yes, kipper is one of those goalies that when he has a bad game he lets a ton in. This dilutes his save average but what is most impressive about his past is his wins. In 2008, yes his sv% was .908 but he had 45 wins. From 2005 (his first full season with the flames) - 2012 (last season) Kipper has had no less than 35 wins. That is an impressive number. Especially since the last three seasons we have not made the playoffs. It also covered up how atrocious our defence has been over the last couple of season which is more evident than ever this season as Kipper has not found his ability to make big key saves. He is no god but he has been arguably the best goalie in Flames franchise history.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Save percentage isn't everything, goalies on better defensively minded teams typically have better SV% then ones who are not. It's why Cam Ward is generally well respected as a top goalie. What Kipper did in the past was steal us games. He won games for us when we should have lost. Yes, kipper is one of those goalies that when he has a bad game he lets a ton in. This dilutes his save average but what is most impressive about his past is his wins. In 2008, yes his sv% was .908 but he had 45 wins. From 2005 (his first full season with the flames) - 2012 (last season) Kipper has had no less than 35 wins. That is an impressive number. Especially since the last three seasons we have not made the playoffs. It also covered up how atrocious our defence has been over the last couple of season which is more evident than ever this season as Kipper has not found his ability to make big key saves this season. He is no god but he has been arguably the best goalie in Flames franchise history.
I don't care what he had been. He isn't even decent presently. Save percentage is crucial and the Flames were generally a good defensive team in most of those years. Look at guys like Bobrovsky, Niemi and Anderson who have teams with gaping roster holes competing for playoff spots. Kipper hasn't been better than league average since 2006. I don't care how big of a man crush this city has with him, I care about results and he hasn't been that good over the last 6 years.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
I don't care what he had been. He isn't even decent presently. Save percentage is crucial and the Flames were generally a good defensive team in most of those years. Look at guys like Bobrovsky, Niemi and Anderson who have teams with gaping roster holes competing for playoff spots. Kipper hasn't been better than league average since 2006. I don't care how big of a man crush this city has with him, I care about results and he hasn't been that good over the last 6 years.
Give your head a shake! The Flames don't even exist in Calgary right now without Miikka Kiprusoff. The team had the lowest attendance in the entire NHL, was in last place in the NHL and there was talks of the Franchise moving because it couldn't exist in this market. Then the Flames get this friggin phenom, stud goaltender out of nowhere. He comes here, and single-friggin-handedly walks the team to within 1 game of a stanley cup. Then he has the opportunity to use that fame he had built himself and go to an actual good team. Did he? No, what he did was sign for 2 years and dirt cheap money and win a friggin Vezina.

He didn't just play goal for this team, he didn't just win games for this crappy team, he inspired an entire generation of Flames fans. Flames fans that got to know the Calgary Flames because he allowed it. Don't think for a second that the Flames don't owe him EVERYTHING. There would not be the sellout-every-seat-for-eight-years Flames if he didn't show the city, province, nation what the Flames could be. If his Jersey isn't in the Rafters it will be an absolute travesty, but mark my words, no one will ever dare don the legendary #34 in Calgary ever again.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Give your head a shake! The Flames don't even exist in Calgary right now without Miikka Kiprusoff. The team had the lowest attendance in the entire NHL, was in last place in the NHL and there was talks of the Franchise moving because it couldn't exist in this market. Then the Flames get this friggin phenom, stud goaltender out of nowhere. He comes here, and single-friggin-handedly walks the team to within 1 game of a stanley cup. Then he has the opportunity to use that fame he had built himself and go to an actual good team. Did he? No, what he did was sign for 2 years and dirt cheap money and win a friggin Vezina.

He didn't just play goal for this team, he didn't just win games for this crappy team, he inspired an entire generation of Flames fans. Flames fans that got to know the Calgary Flames because he allowed it. Don't think for a second that the Flames don't owe him EVERYTHING. There would not be the sellout-every-seat-for-eight-years Flames if he didn't show the city, province, nation what the Flames could be. If his Jersey isn't in the Rafters it will be an absolute travesty, but mark my words, no one will ever dare don the legendary #34 in Calgary ever again.
Not a single thing you said is true. We were top half of the league in attendance, have never been last in the history of our club and the dollar and strong economy balanced out the market, not Kipper. I'm guessing with your user name you're very unbiased though right?

Old
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Not a single thing you said is true. We were top half of the league in attendance, have never been last in the history of our club and the dollar and strong economy balanced out the market, not Kipper. I'm guessing with your user name you're very unbiased though right?
Whatever man, if you think kipper is a weak goalie now, that's one thing. But to question how much he's meant to this city's hockey fans is truly ridiculous. The guy is the only reason we were not a lottery team every year since he came here. We got to see game 7 finals because of him. I love iginla, but kipper was the backbone of this team for almost a decade.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote