2013 IIHF World Championships-thread

Old
05-17-2013, 09:19 AM
Business of Sport
FranchiseCornerstone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas2244 View Post
Reto Berra gets surprisingly the start for Switzerland in the semifinal vs. the USA.
Cool. I'd love to see the Swiss take it now since Canada lost. I'm super busy tomorrow, otherwise it'd be sweet to catch this online somewhere. I'm really curious to see Berra play, and from what some people are saying, he could very well be the real deal. Hope those who are able to watch the game continue to be solid for those of us who can't, and post the scores/updates.

Business of Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 2162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
This is however, the tournament right before Sochi. This gets me fairly concerned for TC, as they simply do not succeed on big ice. Canada is definitely not clear-cut favorite going into Sochi.

And while you can say that Canada did not bring out its best talent, we did have the best players in the tournament, so there's no excuses.
Canada did not bring their best players to this tournament. They barely brought their 2nd best players to this tournament. Not an excuse, it's fact.

To make a correlation between the outcome at the World Championships and the Olympics is somewhat comical. Especially when that outcome is decided by a shootout.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:25 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
This is however, the tournament right before Sochi. This gets me fairly concerned for TC, as they simply do not succeed on big ice. Canada is definitely not clear-cut favorite going into Sochi.

And while you can say that Canada did not bring out its best talent, we did have the best players in the tournament, so there's no excuses.
Yeah, they had half an Olympic squad, right there. Of the forwards, I'd say 6-7 of them were Olympic calibre, and for the game vs Sweden 3 of the defencemen were solidly Olympic calibre as well.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:28 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Canada did not bring their best players to this tournament. They barely brought their 2nd best players to this tournament. Not an excuse, it's fact.

To make a correlation between the outcome at the World Championships and the Olympics is somewhat comical. Especially when that outcome is decided by a shootout.
Even though we didn't bring our best players to the tournament, Canada was the team to beat. If you look at Sweden's roster, they basically had Enroth, the Sedin's, Markstrom, Edler, and Landeskog. The rest were SEL players. For Canada, we had Subban, Giroux, Staal(s), Stamkos, ect (who are basically locks for the Olympics). There's no excuse for Canada not to beat Sweden.

You also say that Canada did not bring their best players. Well, this is the same excuse for every other country. The US didn't bring Kessel, Quick, JVR, and the likes. With Sweden you can say: Zetterburg, Lundqvist, Alfredsson, Backstrom, ect. The list goes on and on.

Last edited by YMCMBYOLO: 05-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.
YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Even though we didn't bring our best players to the tournament, Canada was the team to beat. If you look at Sweden's roster, they basically had Enroth, the Sedin's, Markstrom, Edler, and Kronwall. The rest were SEL players. For Canada, we had Subban, Giroux, Staal(s), Stamkos, ect (who are basically locks for the Olympics). There's no excuse for Canada not to beat Sweden.

You can also say that the US didn't bring Kessel, Quick, JVR, and the likes. With Sweden you can say: Zetterburg, Lundqvist, Alfredsson, Backstrom, ect. The list goes on for every country.
We had Staffan Kronwall, not Niklas. Edler doesn't count either since he ejected himself ten minutes in. You missed Erik Gustafsson and Tallinder though, for what they're worth.(well, apparently a fair bit since they both did very well in this game)

Canada had a good roster, MUCH better than Sweden's, but never seem to play even close to their potential in the WC's.

Last edited by Nordberg: 05-17-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
We had Staffan Kronwall, not Niklas. Edler doesn't count either since he ejected himself ten minutes in. You missed Erik Gustafsson and Tallinder though, for what they're worth.(well, apparently a fair bit since they both did very well in this game)

Canada had a good roster, MUCH better than Sweden's, but never seem to play even close to their potential in the WC's.
Don't know what I thinking there when I added in Kronwall; he's playing for the Wings in the PO.

I didn't bother adding in Gustafsson and Tallinder in my post since I didn't think they'd make the 2014 Olympics. However, they did play well in the game against Canada. Do they have a chance at making the Swedish roster?

Old
05-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Don't know what I thinking there when I added in Kronwall; he's playing for the Wings in the PO.

I didn't bother adding in Gustafsson and Tallinder in my post since I didn't think they'd make the 2014 Olympics. However, they did play well in the game against Canada. Do they have a chance at making the Swedish roster?
Probably(hopefully) not... But Pär Mårts is a moron, he passed over f.ex. Adam Larsson in this WC squad and used not one, but TWO Sedins in the shootout(funny coincidence, they had the two misses out of our four attempts). So you never know.

Barring injuries I would guess our Olympic D would be
Karlsson - Kronwall
Ekman-Larsson - Enström
Edler - Brodin
Grossmann

Outsiders: Hjalmarsson, Jonathan Ericsson(please no), Gustafsson, Adam Larsson

I'm sure I've forgotten someone here, but something like that. Have to say, it looks pretty damn good, only lacks a bit of physical spark. Sweden usually manages to do without very much of that though.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Nordberg

Berra in goal for Switzerland against USA in the semi final! Not sure why, but not complaining!

Old
05-18-2013, 01:14 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
Berra in goal for Switzerland against USA in the semi final! Not sure why, but not complaining!
Sweet! Also, congrats on the Sweden win! I personally thought it was a boring game, but this is a great win for Sweden.

It seems when Sweden are the underdogs, they perform their best.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
crunchyblack*

Is baertschi playing?

crunchyblack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:35 PM
chadwilliams

no, he's not at the wc.

chadwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:37 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Easy first period for Berra. The Swiss controlled the play for most of it, and very good defense that sheltered Berra so far.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Nordberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblack View Post
Is baertschi playing?
No... he's nursing some sort of injury and couldn't come to the tournament unfortunately.

Quote:
Sweet! Also, congrats on the Sweden win! I personally thought it was a boring game, but this is a great win for Sweden.

It seems when Sweden are the underdogs, they perform their best.
Thanks! Yeah, Sweden always turns it up against bigger quarry. Fun national team to cheer for. Always the underdog in big games and always puts up a good fight. It's a shame international rules quells nearly all physical play, often killing the intensity. It's not as bad in the WJCs though. I recall Zibanejad's winner in overtime against Russia's stacked team two years ago. Great moment.

Old
05-18-2013, 02:37 PM
SaneQ

Switzerland is playing an unbelievable tourney. Theyre leading USA 1-0 and the third period just started.

SaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Business of Sport
FranchiseCornerstone

End of 2nd; 1-0 Swiss on a goal from Niederreiter. US outshoots SUI 7-6 in the second after being outshot 18-9 in the first. SUI starts the 3rd shorthanded for 1:30.. no ticker on IIHF website to see time remaining during period.. ? Wish I could catch this live, could be quite a finish..

Old
05-18-2013, 02:39 PM
SaneQ

Nearly 2-0 on the PP, but Gibson made a HUGE save!

EDIT: 5 on 3 PP now, because Ryan Carter moved the net and got 2min penalty for it

Old
05-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Business of Sport
FranchiseCornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneQ View Post
Nearly 2-0 on the PP, but Gibson made a HUGE save!

EDIT: 5 on 3 PP now, because Ryan Carter moved the net and got 2min penalty for it
Cheers for the update - how much time is left, and how's Berra looked after his 'easy' 1st period?

Old
05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
SaneQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Business of Sport View Post
Cheers for the update - how much time is left, and how's Berra looked after his 'easy' 1st period?
I started watching from the beginning of third so don't know how hes played the whole game, but in the third he hasn't faced too many shots. The play has been in the USA end nearly the whole period.

Now theres 12min left and the Swiss are on the PP again

EDIT: Moss hits the crossbar

Old
05-18-2013, 02:52 PM
SaneQ

2-0! Walker all alone on the breakaway and what a slap shot! 8min left

Old
05-18-2013, 02:56 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Business of Sport View Post
Quiet I'd say. The shots he faces are of the 'easy' caliber. He has faced some tougher chances on rebounds, but players in front of him have done a great job in clearing rebounds. The Swiss have been playing a very solid game so far in both ends of the ice.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:05 PM
SaneQ

Reto Suri puts it to 3-0! Into the empty net.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Berra with a shutout in the upset of the USA making him the top goalie in the tournament (I believe)

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Nordberg

Shutout for Berra, also named Swiss player of the game. Hope he gets the nod for the final game!

Old
05-18-2013, 03:12 PM
herashak

hes big, and quick/athletic. oh and who are those blonde rockets they kept showing at the game.

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Business of Sport
FranchiseCornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Quiet I'd say. The shots he faces are of the 'easy' caliber. He has faced some tougher chances on rebounds, but players in front of him have done a great job in clearing rebounds. The Swiss have been playing a very solid game so far in both ends of the ice.
I'm deeply impressed with how Swiss hockey in general has improved over the past decade or so.. They could be a sleeper at Sochi. Then again, they'll surely draw a fair chunk of the spotlight if they manage to beat the Swedes tomorrow. Great about Berra too; regardless of the team in front of him, I'd love for this to mean he's ready to be counted on when it matters most.. Hope he gets the start, can't see why he wouldn't.. Might have to make the time to catch this one