HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Domi speaks out again...

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

vCash: 500
Domi speaks out again...

At least someone is starting to voice some displeasure.

"If these guys (NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow) don't get a deal done, there's going to have to be new faces in there," Domi told the Times.

There's a lot of ego, and they don't want to put their pride aside. The fight is over. These two guys have got to get a deal done. They'd better, or they won't be around too long."

"You need trust," he added. "I don't know if these two guys at the top can get this done. That's the bottom line."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...10&hubName=nhl

Old
05-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
At least someone is starting to voice some displeasure.

"If these guys (NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow) don't get a deal done, there's going to have to be new faces in there," Domi told the Times.

There's a lot of ego, and they don't want to put their pride aside. The fight is over. These two guys have got to get a deal done. They'd better, or they won't be around too long."

"You need trust," he added. "I don't know if these two guys at the top can get this done. That's the bottom line."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...10&hubName=nhl
Tie was one of the staunch Union men all winter saying that the players would never capitulate, he was front and centre at all the meetings, guess it just came to him that his net worth is a couple of million short and he's not getting any younger.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Habbadasher

Yeah, that is a big turn around for him. I guess charging $10.00 per autograph is not paying enough (he did that when he appeared here).

Old
05-05-2005, 12:51 PM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
Yeah, that is a big turn around for him. I guess charging $10.00 per autograph is not paying enough (he did that when he appeared here).
really??.. that is soo stupid. I wouldn't even get his autograph if I saw him somehwhere. lol

Old
05-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
He charges money for his autograph?

And people pay?

Old
05-05-2005, 01:00 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese

And people pay?
I'm surprised he can sign his name!!! maybe he just puts an 'X'

Old
05-05-2005, 01:00 PM
BuppY

Quote:

And people pay?
lol I know pretty funny.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Leaf Army

I haven't been to an autographing signing since I was a teenager, but the ones I recall they all charged for the autograph.

Often the money goes to charity. Or other times it's the company holding the event that charges for it.

I highly doubt that Domi was charging his autograph and pocketing all that money. If it was a corporate event, he would likely charge the company a fee for his appearance but that's about it.

I think it's funny how Domi can come out and make statements that actually make a lot of sense, yet people still have to find some way to slag him.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:17 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I think it's funny how Domi can come out and make statements that actually make a lot of sense, yet people still have to find some way to slag him.
For me it's the feeling that he has an ulterior motive behind his comments.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224
For me it's the feeling that he has an ulterior motive behind his comments.
I agree

If you all remember Leafs owner Larry Tannebaum, along with Tie Domi and Mario Lemieux were mentioned as a group that got that "Save the Season", meeting going by its own little backdoor meetings .

So Domi has been involved from the start and considering that he is employed by Tannenbaum and the Leafs that he might just be used by Leafs Management as it spokesperson since Larry is under a gag order .. Tie's motivation could be a juicy new contract from the leafs for speaking out on the matter and this could be ownership driven and not player driven remarks.

As Tannebaum himself certainly does not care for Bettman or Goodenow at this point of time, as its costing him money not to play.

Bettman after all took on Tannenbaum at the BOG meeting, is trying to force replacement players on him, and make him revenue share against his wishes, while Goodenow is blocking him directly from continuing business.

Old
05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Of course it's funny. It's Domi.

Old
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Of course it's funny. It's Domi.
Domi comments to TSN are a little less flattering towards Bettman.

Quote:

"You can only gouge so much and Gary is gouging," Domi said. "It's not a way to have a partnership. Is Gary trying to break the union? I think he is. I think Gary's more to blame than Bob."

In response, the NHL vice president Bernadette Mansur told the Times, "With all due respect to Mr. Domi, this is not his area of expertise."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=123910&hubName=nhl

Old
05-05-2005, 03:13 PM
CDBOLT

Lack of expertise?

Expertise=Deal
Greed=No deal

Old
05-05-2005, 07:31 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

"You can only gouge so much and Gary is gouging," Domi said. "It's not a way to have a partnership. Is Gary trying to break the union? I think he is. I think Gary's more to blame than Bob."

In response, the NHL vice president Bernadette Mansur told the Times, "With all due respect to Mr. Domi, this is not his area of expertise."

I forget, where exactly did Bernadette get her NHL expertise?

Old
05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Mike1

At the end of the day would it really help out negotiations? I guess it really depends on how much pull Bettman & Goodenow have to make the decisions. Are they both just doing the bidding of their respective side or do they have input? If it were the former then it would have no impact at all because whoever is brought in would still be doing what the bosses want. If it's the latter then it might help to get some new blood in there to ease the hostility between the sides.

Old
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Habbadasher

"I think it's funny how Domi can come out and make statements that actually make a lot of sense, yet people still have to find some way to slag him."

I have nothing against Domi perse, just his comments from the past. He makes sense for once and we are supposed to forget all the other things he said?

Old
05-06-2005, 07:43 AM
SENSible1*

All attempts to spin this to the contrary, only one sides constituents are calling for a change. Orr, Domi and Roenick have all called for Goodenow's head if he can't get a deal done shortly. No similar statements have been forthcoming from the owners side regarding Bettman. Translation-- Goodenow is on a VERY short leash and Bettman has the upper hand.

This provides the NHL with a good deal of leverage in the current round of talks. Hopefully they use it to get a better deal or get rid of Bob.

Old
05-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
All attempts to spin this to the contrary, only one sides constituents are calling for a change. Orr, Domi and Roenick have all called for Goodenow's head if he can't get a deal done shortly. No similar statements have been forthcoming from the owners side regarding Bettman. Translation-- Goodenow is on a VERY short leash and Bettman has the upper hand.

This provides the NHL with a good deal of leverage in the current round of talks. Hopefully they use it to get a better deal or get rid of Bob.
You kiddin' me?

Difference - Owners - Gag Order, Players - None.

You think Tanenbaum wouldn't have Gary on a spit by now? You really need to open both your eyes.

Old
05-06-2005, 08:45 AM
joepeps

Quote:

It's not just BOB.... Gary wants revinue sharing, but only sharing that makes the owners happy... they don't wanna share ticket prices, gate, food or w/e other **** makes them money...

Gary needs to get his act together and give a little because he is already getting alot....

Old
05-06-2005, 08:52 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
You kiddin' me?

Difference - Owners - Gag Order, Players - None.

You think Tanenbaum wouldn't have Gary on a spit by now? You really need to open both your eyes.
Gary has his side under control.

How's Bobby doing?

Old
05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:

How's Bobby doing?
Gary has his side under a restrictive order. You're living in a dream world if you think all the owners respect and trust Gary to get the job done to their liking.

How about Tenenbaum's outbreak at the last owners meeting?
How about most owners ignoring his pleas not to sign draft picks until a new CBA is in place?
How about the dispute that's going on amongst owners regarding the next draft?

If you believe that there's no disorder amongst owners then you truely are blinded by your hatred of the PA.

Old
05-06-2005, 10:41 AM
SENSible1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Gary has his side under a restrictive order. You're living in a dream world if you think all the owners respect and trust Gary to get the job done to their liking.

How about Tenenbaum's outbreak at the last owners meeting?
How about most owners ignoring his pleas not to sign draft picks until a new CBA is in place?
How about the dispute that's going on amongst owners regarding the next draft?

If you believe that there's no disorder amongst owners then you truely are blinded by your hatred of the PA.
Tenenbaum represents one team. He was promptly put in his place by the other owners.

Please post a link to Bettman's "pleas not to sign draft picks until a new CBA is in place"?

Owners are arguing over draft order, not calling for Bettman's head if he doesn't get a deal done soon.

I never stated there was unanimity on the owners side on all issues. I simply stated that he has his group under control and that none of his clients is openly calling for his head on a platter.

How is Bobby doing?

Domi, Roenick, Orr and PA apologist/writer Conway have all called for him to step aside if he doesn't strike a deal soon.

PS I don't hate the PA. However, I am rather enjoying watching that arrogant ***** Goodenow getting squashed like a bug.

Old
05-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Mike1

Quote:
They all charge for autographs these days. I read in todays Toronto Star that Joe Montana charges 149 bucks for a signed picture & 199 bucks for a signed jersey.

Old
05-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Tenenbaum represents one team. He was promptly put in his place by the other owners.

Please post a link to Bettman's "pleas not to sign draft picks until a new CBA is in place"?

Owners are arguing over draft order, not calling for Bettman's head if he doesn't get a deal done soon.

I never stated there was unanimity on the owners side on all issues. I simply stated that he has his group under control and that none of his clients is openly calling for his head on a platter.

How is Bobby doing?

Domi, Roenick, Orr and PA apologist/writer Conway have all called for him to step aside if he doesn't strike a deal soon.

PS I don't hate the PA. However, I am rather enjoying watching that arrogant ***** Goodenow getting squashed like a bug.
owners are not allowed to speak out without getting fined. If you think that is having your group under control than you must think the owners are like children and Gary is their teacher. You think Tenenbaum is alone in his thinking; come on. Your hatred for the Leafs can't be that blinding.

They are both arrogant *****, and I don't see how you believe one is getting squashed like a bug.

Old
05-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:

How's Bobby doing?
He's doing fine, and has his side under control as well. There's no tangible reason to think otherwise. As is the case with Bettman, if his constituents thought he needed replacing, I'm sure appropriate action would be taken. We can speculate about owners rifts or player mutinies all we like, but that's all it is.

Closed Thread