HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Game 2 Plus-Minus Thread

View Poll Results: The Game winning goal.
Bad Luck 56 42.75%
Bad Goaltending 75 57.25%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:18 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kunitz-Sid-Iggy
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Bennett

Id like to see that.
I'd give it a shot

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:22 PM
lastcupever75
Phive cups PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post

Goal 4 - Okposo shoots wide but, just like Goal #2, Fleury overplays the puck. It bounces off the boards and bangs in off Fleury's leg. What could the defense have done differently on this one?
yeah
I'll wait to hear how that the defense's fault.

should one of them been playing safety behind MAf, lol

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:28 PM
plaidchuck

I can't believe how unbearable this place is after a loss. I picked the Pens to win in 6, can't imagine what it will/would be like if the Islanders go up 2-1. Or a game 7 at home, hoooo baby.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
yeah
I'll wait to hear how that the defense's fault.

should one of them been playing safety behind MAf, lol
Talking more generally, as that goal, Fleury should have played better but Why exactly do we always need a scapegoat? Is it not possible that it was just a damn nice play by the other team or an unfortunate bounce? Why does it have to be either Fleury's fault or the D's? Do Malkin and Crosby only get goals because the other teams defence or goalie screws up too?

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Talking more generally, as that goal, Fleury should have played better but Why exactly do we always need a scapegoat? Is it not possible that it was just a damn nice play by the other team or an unfortunate bounce? Why does it have to be either Fleury's fault or the D's? Do Malkin and Crosby only get goals because the other teams defence or goalie screws up too?
Fleury's track record on those sorts of goals in the playoffs sort of precludes giving him the benefit of the doubt. The guy has a bit of a habit of putting pucks in his own net at critical junctures.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 06:42 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Fleury's recent track record on those sorts of goals in the playoffs sort of precludes giving him the benefit of the doubt. The guy has a bit of a habit of putting pucks in his own net at critical junctures.
The whole team has that track record now. Like not being able to even generate a shot for 3 minutes into a 4 min pp at a critical juncture. With the offensive talent this team has it should be top on the PP yearly in both the reg season and playoffs.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
The whole team has that track record now. Like not being able to even generate a shot for 3 minutes into a 4 min pp at a critical juncture.
Not getting a shot on one extended PP is not the same as being a good bet every playoffs to put a relatively harmless scoring chance into your own net.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:50 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Not getting a shot on one extended PP is not the same as being a good bet every playoffs to put a relatively harmless scoring chance into your own net.
Yeah it is. When you get that opportunity in a tied game in the playoffs you at least get some good scoring chances.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:51 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Fleury's track record on those sorts of goals in the playoffs sort of precludes giving him the benefit of the doubt. The guy has a bit of a habit of putting pucks in his own net at critical junctures.
I understand that, and as said, I think he could have played it better. I don't think he was over committed as some claim, he always challenges the shooter and cuts the angle. If he played deep in the net, and it got ripped top corner, he would have been ripped apart for it. But he was fairly erratic and uncontrolled getting back (maybe with memories of the third goal too fresh in his mind) and that's where I say he certainly has some fault.

But sometimes, the other team can just make a nice play or some puck will just find its way in without needing to find someone to blame. But for some; especially if Fleury is in goal it seems the only way it's not The goaltenders fault is if the defence made some clear mistake.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
I understand that, and as said, I think he could have played it better. I don't think he was over committed as some claim, he always challenges the shooter and cuts the angle. If he played deep in the net, and it got ripped top corner, he would have been ripped apart for it. But he was fairly erratic and uncontrolled getting back (maybe with memories of the third goal too fresh in his mind) and that's where I say he certainly has some fault.

But sometimes, the other team can just make a nice play or some puck will just find its way in without needing to find someone to blame. But for some; especially if Fleury is in goal it seems the only way it's not The goaltenders fault is if the defence made some clear mistake.
you might want to think about getting a new avatar, because your boy fleury might not be around much longer.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:00 PM
PensFanSince1989

I forgot I even had that avatar. And regardless, as long as he's a Penguin, I'll support him.

Old
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
Yeah it is. When you get that opportunity in a tied game in the playoffs you at least get some good scoring chances.
No, it's not. Fleury's got track record of those sorts of goals, and the Pens have a track record of being top 5 in the league on the PP the last couple years.

One's justifiably earned a reputation for that sort of thing, and the other hasn't. The two are not remotely comparable.

Quote:

I think most reasonable posters will understand if there's been a nice play. But Fleury's used up more than his share of "bad puck luck" goodwill.

Now he just has to find a way to stop the damn puck when we need him to. Or at least quit knocking them in himself.

Old
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
you might want to think about getting a new avatar, because your boy fleury might not be around much longer.
Thinking he doesn't start game 3? Delusional.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Fleury's game tonight was very reminiscent of Games 1 & 2 in Detroit back in 2008...stopping everything in front of him and getting beaten off the boards...but at least that was in an arena that he barely knew.
That was the first thing that came to my mind, as well.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:01 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
I agree someone shouldn't be here if this crap play continues: I try to like DB. I like the players but every time this team steps on the ice come Playoff time I'm nervous as hell. There just seems to be something missing... then I read a stats twitter:

"Since winning Cup in 09, Pens are 13-15 in the playoffs and 6-9 in home playoff games. In those 9 losses, 47 goals allowed (5.2 per game)"

Blame it on Fleury, Pens D, DB or whatever but the above and last nights game... same team with different players.

Llama

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
gonna have to wait till the Nords come back into the league. who else is going to want him?

this just in. Cherry calls Geno lazy.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:04 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
No, it's not. Fleury's got track record of those sorts of goals, and the Pens have a track record of being top 5 in the league on the PP the last couple years.
So you're saying not score on a 4 min PP is acceptable?

Old
05-04-2013, 07:04 PM
PensFanSince1989

Yeah, Cherry just ripped Geno. Was a pretty poor and lazy play by Geno though. Pathetic almost

Old
05-04-2013, 07:05 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
gonna have to wait till the Nords come back into the league. who else is going to want him?

this just in. Cherry calls Geno lazy.
Haha yep typical lazy russians.. except Datysuk and Ovechkin of course.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:06 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Yeah, Cherry just ripped Geno. Was a pretty poor and lazy play by Geno though. Pathetic almost
I'm sure Kessel got a pass though.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
It's unfortunate, but it happens. It's not a regular, back-breaking habit.

I'm not even blaming the loss on Fleury. The team had a poor game as a whole. I'm just saying his long rap sheet of putting non-scoring chances into his own net when we need him to be his sharpest has to end.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Warm Cookies
Breakin Records

Quote:
I'm sure Kessel got a pass though.
Who gives a **** about Kessel? He's a perennial loser.

I'd prefer our superstar to avoid that sort of play.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:17 PM
CrozJawz*

vCash:
I think that some here are missing the point on some of the criticisms of Fleury.

Nobody is saying that he outright sucks, they are just saying that he has a history of wildly inconsistent play and that it has cost he team again and again.

Was he the sole reason for losing game 2? No, the rest of the team has their fair share of crappy play too but they were hanging in there. Sure MAF was getting shelled but he was making good saves, the ones that he should have, only to turn around and have pucks bounce off his *ss and in once again.

The team as a whole has just seemed to be lacking smart play in the past 4 years of the postseason. Shaky D play, piles of turnovers, inconsistent goaltending, lack of scoring when they need it most...

Old
05-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Not scoring on a 4 minute powerplay happens more often than not considering even the best teams only score on individual powerplays at a 25% rate.

And as I recall we had a few very good scoring chances on that 4 minute powerplay.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote