HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 2 Plus-Minus Thread

View Poll Results: The Game winning goal.
Bad Luck 56 42.75%
Bad Goaltending 75 57.25%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2013, 07:28 PM
steveg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Like I said to plaidchuk-if you don't like people's opinions, maybe you shouldn't be on a forum.
I have no problem with other peoples' opinions, even if I don't agree with them. What I am most referring to is that you have said several times that, to paraphrase -- anyone who doesn't agree with you is just a "Fleury lover."

Differing opinions are not so much the issue -- but when you make statements like "if you don't agree with me, then you are (fill in the blank)," it's not really a discussion of the points or opinions anymore...

You may have already discussed this, but can you tell me how, in your opinion, Martin's goal was a "soft" goal for Fleury? Please tell me what you think, technique-wise, he was so far off on, that even a "beer league" goalie should have stopped it?

From my view, as I said, he was properly high in the crease, cutting off the initial shooter's angle, and when Martin blew past Letang toward the puck ricocheting off the boards, he slid back into position getting his right pad both on the ice (no room for a puck to slide under), and all the way up against the post (no room for a puck to slide between his skate and the post). Martin made a perfect shot -- lifted it high with very little room or time to work with.

How, in your view, was his technique there so far off as to label that a "soft" goal?

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I don't know what the hell DB is thinking when he goes off the board and comes up with some of those line combo's. I don't know if it is panic or what?? Ridiculous is what I would call it.

Same as others have mentioned about Fleury......we have seen that same goal how many times in his playoff career. Those type of goals are just KILLER. And they keep happening.

The mental mistakes throughout the game were staggering. So much sloppy play.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Fleury ****s his pants when the puck crosses the icing line for any reason. Find myself wondering if he's able to back his car out of a parking spot, considering how confused he is anytime anything's behind him.
This is so true.

I've never seen a goalie so completely mystified by wraparounds, I'm surprised teams don't just try them against him constantly.

Fleury is the NHL 94 goaltending AI in real life.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
This is so true.

I've never seen a goalie so completely mystified by wraparounds, I'm surprised teams don't just try them against him constantly.

Fleury is the NHL 94 goaltending AI in real life.
Hahaha

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Guins71

This Pens team is at it's best when they are agressive on the puck. Forwards and Dmen yesterday were backing off loose pucks. There comes a time when you are too scared to make a mistake or respect the other teams speed too much and it comes back to haunt you. Penguin hockey is not letting the play come to you. It is taking the play to the other team. It seems this team does this until the first sign on pressure from the other team then they play cautious. It's time to take the play to the isles.

Guins71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:00 PM
JTG

Both. I lean more towards bad luck because I have never seen a puck fire off the end boards like that in CEC. That was very reminiscent of the Joe Louis Arena boards.

That being said...Fleury overplayed the shot to begin with.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
I have no problem with other peoples' opinions, even if I don't agree with them. What I am most referring to is that you have said several times that, to paraphrase -- anyone who doesn't agree with you is just a "Fleury lover."

Differing opinions are not so much the issue -- but when you make statements like "if you don't agree with me, then you are (fill in the blank)," it's not really a discussion of the points or opinions anymore...

You may have already discussed this, but can you tell me how, in your opinion, Martin's goal was a "soft" goal for Fleury? Please tell me what you think, technique-wise, he was so far off on, that even a "beer league" goalie should have stopped it?

From my view, as I said, he was properly high in the crease, cutting off the initial shooter's angle, and when Martin blew past Letang toward the puck ricocheting off the boards, he slid back into position getting his right pad both on the ice (no room for a puck to slide under), and all the way up against the post (no room for a puck to slide between his skate and the post). Martin made a perfect shot -- lifted it high with very little room or time to work with.

How, in your view, was his technique there so far off as to label that a "soft" goal?
I only referred to pensfansince1989 as a Fleury lover-and he is. He likes Fleury. There's nothing wrong with that, and he embraces the label-look at his avatar.

Fleury overplayed the initial shot.

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:05 PM
nTsplnk*

Remember when we used to laugh at the Capitals about them just being about scoring goals and not doing what counts in the playoffs?

Well, we are that team that we made fun of all those years. I hope we tighten up tomorrow.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
nTsplnk*

It's both.

I think the axiom is true though: you have to play good to get lucky. When you play bad, bad breaks happen.

Fleury played wild last night. He made some sick saves and let up some goals that you can't let up in the playoffs. Sadly, this has become an all to often thing for this team.

Regardless of if Fleury's fault or not, if we lose in this round or the next, eventually you gotta realize you aren't getting it done with him in net.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Remember when we used to laugh at the Capitals about them just being about scoring goals and not doing what counts in the playoffs?

Well, we are that team that we made fun of all those years. I hope we tighten up tomorrow.
No, the Pens were that team last night. They were not that team on Wednesday, which is why it's extra frustrating.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:11 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
No, the Pens were that team last night. They were not that team on Wednesday, which is why it's extra frustrating.
I don't know, Dying Alive. The Pens played 2 good games last year's playoffs too.

It seems like more and more we have more bad games than good in the playoffs. Hope we respond tomorrow.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I prefer the third choice, Bad Defense. The last goal was coming one way or another, and it wasn't going to be ours.

Honestly, I've never seen the boards at Consol that active. I think Fleury's getting too much blame for that. Are you telling me you weren't surprised not only on the third goal, but on the fourth? Both seemed like uncharacteristic bounces to me.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:14 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
I prefer the third choice, Bad Defense. The last goal was coming one way or another, and it wasn't going to be ours.

Honestly, I've never seen the boards at Consol that active. I think Fleury's getting too much blame for that. Are you telling me you weren't surprised not only on the third goal, but on the fourth? Both seemed like uncharacteristic bounces to me.
I completely disagree. Fleury was making plenty of good saves-If Fleury prevented it from being 6-3 or 7-3 it's possible he could've held off for longer. Our defense was bad. But we had a chance. The 4th for sure was brutal.

The 3rd he overplayed the initial shot. Not the worst goal to give up-but one you know you want back.

Old
05-04-2013, 08:20 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
"Since winning Cup in 09, Pens are 13-15 in the playoffs and 6-9 in home playoff games. In those 9 losses, 47 goals allowed (5.2 per game)"

They've been that team for since 09... I hope they win, I want them to win, but sadly if it all goes bad, it's not like we didn't see it coming.

llama

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:22 PM
dk16000

Friday Night's Loss

Out of the Pittsburgh area so I couldn't see the game but am looking for some insight. I have read that the Pens were out hustled last night but also read that the Islanders speed and quick transition game gave us fits. Would be curious to hear from those that really know the game as to what was the root cause of the loss. Were we really getting beat to the loose pucks ?...are the Islanders really that much faster than us ?.....does their scheme expose a weakness that we have ?.....and finally, do we just not have the discipline to play a low risk, defensive game when we have the lead, and if that is the case, which players exemplify that weakness ?

dk16000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
"Since winning Cup in 09, Pens are 13-15 in the playoffs and 6-9 in home playoff games. In those 9 losses, 47 goals allowed (5.2 per game)"

They've been that team for since 09... I hope they win, I want them to win, but sadly if it all goes bad, it's not like we didn't see it coming.

llama
What happened since 2009 holds absolutely no weight on the team this year. We are barely the same team that we were last year let alone the same team we were in 2011 and 2010. It's a new season and past stats are irrelevant.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

There's like five threads about this.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:32 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

Do not need multiple threads for the post game talk for Fridays game, it can all go on here. Regardless of topic.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Shelly tweeted that Sid did a belly-flop on the ice and smiled afterwards.

TEAM IS LOOSER THAN THREE SILLY GOOSSES!

/end IceCapped impression.
I heard she watched the Islander's practice and tweeted right before:

TEAM IS LOSER WITH THREE SILLY GOALS!

/this also ends my IceCapped impression.

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:01 PM
DoktorZaius

I've hated the fourth line as much as anyone at times this year. But it seems to me like one of our great strengths after all of Shero's acquisitions is our depth. Accordingly, I don't understand why DB wouldn't plan on using a 4th line for even 8 minutes. He kept double-shifting Crosby in there, who ended up with 23 minutes on the night. Beyond our poor play in the 2nd and 3rd, I think our skill forwards were flat-out gassed by the end there from being asked to play too many shifts of intense playoff hockey.

On the back end, Letang had 29 minutes. Sure, he's a defender, and Suter does that kind of thing all the time, but Letang's game is always at its most dominant when he still has fresh enough legs to be a dynamic offensive threat. Something he wasn't last night.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:01 PM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
What happened since 2009 holds absolutely no weight on the team this year. We are barely the same team that we were last year let alone the same team we were in 2011 and 2010. It's a new season and past stats are irrelevant.
Sure... whatever you say. The same undisciplined team we saw last night looked a lot like the past Pens teams.

Maybe its Fleury, maybe it's DB, maybe it's the Defense. Doesn't matter... Pens 1 Isles 1. Different players, same story.

sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyllama View Post
Sure... whatever you say. The same undisciplined team we saw last night looked a lot like the past Pens teams.

Maybe its Fleury, maybe it's DB, maybe it's the Defense. Doesn't matter... Pens 1 Isles 1. Different players, same story.
How can it be the same story when the story isn't over yet? All I know is that based off of the 2013 Penguins, the only team that matters, last night's game was the exception, not the rule.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:28 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
How can it be the same story when the story isn't over yet? All I know is that based off of the 2013 Penguins, the only team that matters, last night's game was the exception, not the rule.
How can it not be? Yesterday was the same story as last year. That doesn't mean tomorrow will be.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
TheFlightlessBird

Everyone played bad last night, let's get on the island and do some damage. I mean if we do lose this series everyone should be fired, including Lemieux, sell the team to Bob Nutting, draft Nyger Morgan and start over.

TheFlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:34 PM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlightlessBird View Post
Everyone played bad last night, let's get on the island and do some damage. I mean if we do lose this series everyone should be fired, including Lemieux, sell the team to Bob Nutting, draft Nyger Morgan and start over.
But keep this guy: