HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reflecting on game two

Old
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
Reflecting on game two

Was thinking about game two on my home today, and it struck me that the Senators tried to scare the Habs by starting their toughs but it was les boys that came out and hit everything that they could, that crushed guys (Subban, White, Bork) and got under players skin and at the end of the game, it was Montreal that sent the message, with White going at Latenderness and the scrum in general.

This is a rebuilding team going in the right direction... finally!! Fast and skilled, but no longer push overs, either. Lovin' it!

We had guys step up last night and played their ***** off! Borque, Subban, White, Price were all terrific! Tinordi doesn't look out of place, at all. Gionta, not surprisingly, wasn't missed at all. Even Armstrong looked like Armstrong for a change!

Can't WAIT to see what the Walrus does to kick off the Ottawa segment.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Agreed for the most part except for the shot at Gionta....he was very good in the first game and has been good for the entire season.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Kriss E

If there's one thing you really can't criticize about Gionta is his Playoff performances. The guy always raises his level of play that time of the year. Always.

Aside from that, I agree. Was a great team effort. White and Price need their props, they've received a lot of criticism and it was good for them to step up. Perfectly timed.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Agreed for the most part except for the shot at Gionta....he was very good in the first game and has been good for the entire season.
He was partly at fault for a goal against in the first game and aside from ~7 games he's been god-awful this year.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Habs13

I can't stand Gionta - as a Hab or a Devil. Especially now, and I wouldn't say he has played well this year and found him frustrating all year long. But that isn't the point of the thread; even if I did take a shot at him, hehe.

What does Therrien do for game 3 if Gionta and Pacioretty are good to go? Roll with the team that won game 2, or make adjustments. Tough call, IMO.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He was partly at fault for a goal against in the first game and aside from ~7 games he's been god-awful this year.
If Gionta was god-awful this year, and we agree he didn't score THAT much, the how come he was a plus player despite facing the other teams' top lines most of the time? The answer is that he was not god-awful. He had the streakiness level of a normal 20-29 goal scorer, with superior defensive play.

The early season conventional wisdom was that the full-time return of Gionta and Markov helped this team show that last year's 15th place was an anomaly. And the people saying that were right. Despite SOME flaws in their games, Gionta and Markov played way above average and were way, way better than the borderline guys that had to replace them. So before we throw them under the bus when we lose a game or three, we should remember what it was like to play without them for a long stretch.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:01 PM
CanadiensVault

Quote:
Originally Posted by estimated_prophet View Post
agreed for the most part except for the shot at gionta....he was very good in the first game and has been good for the entire season.
what!?

CanadiensVault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:02 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
I can't stand Gionta - as a Hab or a Devil. Especially now, and I wouldn't say he has played well this year and found him frustrating all year long. But that isn't the point of the thread; even if I did take a shot at him, hehe.

What does Therrien do for game 3 if Gionta and Pacioretty are good to go? Roll with the team that won game 2, or make adjustments. Tough call, IMO.
I would re-insert Patches, not so sure about Gio, he did not play well in game 1....just my .02

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
sharks9

Quote:

Pacioretty and Gionta finished 2nd and 4th in goals for us this year, there's no way they're not back in the line-up if they're healthy.

Against Anderson we need to have our best scorers in the line-up.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Gionta is not good to go, but if he was, he would be a clear improvement over Dumont. And Pacioretty is a clear improvement over Moen. We should HOPE real hard that he is able to play tomorrow. Let's not be too cute here. Every good player could be the game breaker on any given night.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:23 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Gionta's current and former teammates and coaches would strongly disagree with you. If you think that Therrien would consider playing a plug like Dumont who is closer to AHL calibre than NHL calibre over him or Pacioretty than you may be overestimating your understanding of the game and the players who play in it.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 03:38 AM
25get

vCash: 50
Gionta has 15.95 goals per 48 games period during his career in regular season and 15.82 in PO.
This season he did 14 goals so he is very near to his pace.

BTW, this is a better pace than Daniel Sedin and about goal per 82 games less than Briere and St-Louis.

He is also a captain so there are some intangibles here.
Gionta, Eller and Pac all are top-9 in any team in the league so we are really hurt here and they are missed.

25get is online now   Reply With Quote