HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How pathetic must team be before Gainey reacts?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 04:24 AM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
How pathetic must team be before Gainey reacts?

Look, I was at the game yesterday, as the Gazette says this morning, the team was listless, pathetic, it is a shame to offer such a show to fans paying 100$ a ticket, training camp or not!

If I ran my professional practice the way these guys play, not giving my clients' their money's worth, I would not survive one year!

The team has nothing, no sizzle, no offense, no size, no enthousiasm, no momentum, no mean streak, no agressivity, NOTHING, and their new ultra defensive, dump-the-puck system is a pure sleep-o-rama! And this coach CJ is as grey and dull as his team is on the ice.

Bob Gainey's pre-manufactured quote "I have nothing to announce today, you will be the first to know when I have something to announce" is a nice way to shove off the media, but I thought he was hired as GM and not PR man, so it is his job to do something about this, it looks like a very long season ahead, the only positive point is that the Habs figure to remain in the Alexander Overchin/1st overall pick in 2004 sweepstakes all year long!

Bob Gainey the player would already have stood up in the dressing room and shaken things on the ice.

Is Bob Gainey the GM a different man?

Old
09-24-2003, 04:34 AM
Gros Bill

Were you expecting BG to change things overnight? It took a while to get this low (but it was easy) and it'll take a while to get back on top (though it will be hard). If you don't want to cut him some slack, at least give him some time...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Capitano

You can't blame Gainey for the guys on the ice last night. Give Gainey at least 1 year to make his mark on the team, and I for one believe he'll make his mark. Personally I think this is going to be a long season...Julien will be gone before Christmas or the All-Star break at the latest. Pre-season means nothing but we do need to adopt a system and play with some passion. Right now we're flatter than roadkill.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 04:37 AM
DJyellow
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
It's pre-season...it doesn't count... give Gainey some time... don't expect him to perform miracles with what he was given to start with. It will take some time to built a team into a contender.

patience is a virtue...

Old
09-24-2003, 04:45 AM
Darz

Ah...it's starting to sound alot like Montreal in September. The fan's *****ing is already in mid-season form.

The season hasn't even stated yet, and we want everybodies head on a platter. First off, I think we should give the team more than a few preseason games, before we jump all over them.
Please remember...THESE GAMES ARE MEANINGLESS. I can understand that going to a game (preseason or not), and not feeling like you got a certain level of entertainment out of it is one thing, but you were warned...IT IS PRESEASON. A lot of preseason games look like you described the habs game, that's what preseason is for. Do you real beleive that the Red Wings, or Av's or any of the other top teams are playing unbelievable hockey in September????
Remember how well we looked in pre-season last year????? Chow was going to be an Art Ross threat, Hainsey was a lock for the Calder. But alais.....it was PRESEASON.....it was meaningless.

Let's wait til the games have meaning before asking for everybody invovled with the team to be shot.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:57 AM
Capitano

Haha, you're right Darz, I'm just a little fed up with the energy level that I see. It's like these guys don't care they're playing for the habs and it bothers me. Yes it's preseason but for the past few years it has become acceptable to Montreal fans that we're "rebuilding", I just want them to show us that they're fighting in there. I don't mean being overly physical, I just mean, show me you want the puck, show me you want to win. I don't see that. Yes it's preseason, yes it's early, but if people are fighting for jobs with us, they have to show us something. This is their chance to show us what they're made of. We score 1 against 2 bad goalies? That scares me a bit...especially if these guys are fighting for jobs.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 05:01 AM
Habber

[QUOTE=plafleur10]Look, I was at the game yesterday, as the Gazette says this morning, the team was listless, pathetic...QUOTE]

I don't know what game you were watching, I thought we had a strong game. We played much better last night than we did for 60 of the games last year. We just couldn't bury it. We outplayed and outchanced them most of the night, take a look at the shot count, we acually outshot somebody! Also look how many PP chances we got, most cause TO was having trouble dealing with our speed. Granted, the PP did suck, but expected when you have makeshift lines (and Travesty on the point).

I was encouraged by last night's game, even though we lost. I don't know how much hockey you've seen in last couple of years, but dump and chase and defensive hockey is what the league has turned into now. But I though we showed more creativity last night than most other teams.

Just cvause the Gazette says something doesn't make it true. Remember this is the same paper that employs Jack Todd.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:03 AM
8b

There is so much doubt about upcoming season: Ribeiro want to play or be traded, Brisebois's trade status, Theo not happy with the min-calendar affair, the season is not started and coach and players are complaining (and the fans!). It sound not good...

The rookies may impress us, I hope it'll happen (we all hope)...

Old
09-24-2003, 05:26 AM
plafleur10

Keep on dreaming if you want!

Everyone I spoke to at the game yesterday felt the same as me. Don't look at the shots, most of them were from far or bad angles, the Habs were no real threat and their 2-3 power plays were completely ineffective, it looked like the Leafs' "B" team had the power play at times.

The Ribeiro-Hossa-Zednik line, at best, had 2 threatening shfts where they cycled the puck well, this is it.

The Pereault-Audette-Bulis line had 2 chances and buried one, they were totally ineffective besides that, if anything, Audette was even worse than last year.

The Dagenais-Perezhogin-Plekanec line is one or 2 years away at best, it could not compete, Dagenais is painfully slow as advertized.

The Higgins-Blouin-Ward did absolutely nothing

Old
09-24-2003, 05:33 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Ah...it's starting to sound alot like Montreal in September. The fan's *****ing is already in mid-season form.

I would add that since the Habs have been owed for the past recent years by the laffs, a 2-1 loss to them in pre-season isn't that bad

Like Darz say: it does't count now...look at last year after camp! or

edit:@#$% "/"

Old
09-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Ford Prefect

I think that the reason that BG has yet to act is because AS has really tied his hands. Consider these AS moves:

- Giving Brisebois 4yr/16 mil
- Giving Theo 3yrs/15-16 mil
- Signing MacKay
- Trading for Chow (2.7 mil a year, 1.8 mil buyout)
- Trading for Audette

Realistically, there is no one that wants what he has inherited. If you don't want Audette or Brisebois, why the hell would another team? Especially at the salaries that they're making? Next year he won't be tied to the Mackay, Chow, & Audette contracts AND Breezer won't have his no trade clause. That will allow him to mold the team a little better.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:57 AM
GilleZ

I think is that every player in the organisation has been offered to all the team. But we got to realise that we have nothing to offer. We just have young guy that have some values. And then there's the new CBA thats coming next year. And no Free Agent wants to play in montreal...

So when you think about it, do we want to trade Komisarek, Hainsey, Hossa, Perezhogin, Higgins for what... Tanguay at best... Havlat and pay him 3M a year...

And then we have Havlat that will choke on us after the new CBA and the payers are free agent at 25, And we see Komisarek win the stanley cup with Ottawa.

One of the good things AS said, we're not gonna trade first round draft pick and were not gonna make a trade to make a trade. I think its something BG will do.

And finaly, there as been no games with the full line up, so lets wait for the preseason to finish first.

Go Habs Go!!!

Old
09-24-2003, 06:01 AM
Corey

Why this alarmist talk early in the preseason? Did anyone notice the experimentation with lines? Or that Théodore gave up 2 goals, not 5? Or that the Leafs had only 21 shots against a team that was accused of playing without energy? That the Habs were not outclassed by the Senators? The team may not make the playoffs, but by no stretch of the imagination is it awful.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:14 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Why this alarmist talk early in the preseason? Did anyone notice the experimentation with lines? Or that Théodore gave up 2 goals, not 5? Or that the Leafs had only 21 shots against a team that was accused of playing without energy? That the Habs were not outclassed by the Senators? The team may not make the playoffs, but by no stretch of the imagination is it awful.
We had 9 powerplays and that's the only reason why Toronto only had 21 shots. I just expect more from our guys that's all. I want them to show me they want to make our team stronger. Didn't see it.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10
Look, I was at the game yesterday, as the Gazette says this morning, the team was listless, pathetic, it is a shame to offer such a show to fans paying 100$ a ticket, training camp or not!

If I ran my professional practice the way these guys play, not giving my clients' their money's worth, I would not survive one year!
I watched the game on T.V, and I felt the same for the most part. However, there was a lot of youth in the lineup... looked like a few nerves showing.

What do you expect, with yet another rookie coach trying to lead the troops into battle?

Old
09-24-2003, 08:52 AM
BLONG7

OK guys, breathe easy... it's only preseason! I don't think anyone expected us to go 9-0 in preseason! CJ is teaching them a new system and is trying new line combos and shuffling 35 or so players to see who's got what! The Habs will be a better team this yr vs. last yr. Relax Everybody on these boards have been wound up way too tight lately... havea beer, chill, take your medication, whatever, just calm down guys.

Old
09-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
OK guys, breathe easy... it's only preseason! I don't think anyone expected us to go 9-0 in preseason! CJ is teaching them a new system and is trying new line combos and shuffling 35 or so players to see who's got what! The Habs will be a better team this yr vs. last yr. Relax Everybody on these boards have been wound up way too tight lately... havea beer, chill, take your medication, whatever, just calm down guys.
I want to see the boys play with a little fire, that's all I want to see. I can't stand it when we sleepwalk through a game. I guess the reason I'm so wound up today is because I live in Toronto and I've been hearing it from all the Leaf fans that their kids beat our vets last night. It drives me nuts.

Cap

Old
09-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I want to see the boys play with a little fire, that's all I want to see. I can't stand it when we sleepwalk through a game. I guess the reason I'm so wound up today is because I live in Toronto and I've been hearing it from all the Leaf fans that their kids beat our vets last night. It drives me nuts.

Cap
A Habs fan in Toronto!

All Hail the True Fan

Use the now standard arguments :
Leafs haven't won since Man walked on the moon
Leafs don't win clutch games (AKA Chokers)
It's no big deal beating the Habs (for now)
Blame it on Brisebois
Oh yeah? Well, at least we got Gainey :p

Old
09-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Joe Malone

Quote:

Cap
You can quote Pat Quinn to all those Leaf fans:

`We were outchanced and outplayed in quite a few areas except goal,'' Quinn said.

That's taken from this TSN article:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=54932

Now, everybody listen to Darz, take a deep breath and relax, and realize that this is the pre-season.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:21 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Cap
You are right when you say you want to see them play with a little fire... intensity... etc. something we do not often see from these guys the last couple of seasons.. this is something that CJ and BG will have to see also when the season opens and the games count!

Old
09-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Guy Damien Lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

The season hasn't even stated yet, and we want everybodies head on a platter. First off, I think we should give the team more than a few preseason games, before we jump all over them.
Please remember...THESE GAMES ARE MEANINGLESS. I can understand that going to a game (preseason or not), and not feeling like you got a certain level of entertainment out of it is one thing, but you were warned...IT IS PRESEASON. A lot of preseason games look like you described the habs game, that's what preseason is for. Do you real beleive that the Red Wings, or Av's or any of the other top teams are playing unbelievable hockey in September????
Remember how well we looked in pre-season last year????? Chow was going to be an Art Ross threat, Hainsey was a lock for the Calder. But alais.....it was PRESEASON.....it was meaningless.

Let's wait til the games have meaning before asking for everybody invovled with the team to be shot.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:46 AM
Guy Damien Lafleur

Quote:
Haha, you're right Darz, I'm just a little fed up with the energy level that I see. It's like these guys don't care they're playing for the habs and it bothers me. Yes it's preseason but for the past few years it has become acceptable to Montreal fans that we're "rebuilding", I just want them to show us that they're fighting in there. I don't mean being overly physical, I just mean, show me you want the puck, show me you want to win. I don't see that. Yes it's preseason, yes it's early, but if people are fighting for jobs with us, they have to show us something. This is their chance to show us what they're made of. We score 1 against 2 bad goalies? That scares me a bit...especially if these guys are fighting for jobs.

Cap
Good Point. It does show that they could not careless sometimes. Wait till the new CBA is out. Hopefully they will be able to bring back most, not all, of these overpaid spoiled kids down to earth again.

Let's give Gainey a chance. trust me! He knows what is going on. He knows what Le CH is all about. He will fix the problems.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:15 AM
plafleur10

The lineup yesterday, at least with forwards, was not much different from what it will be on opening day, this is the frightening part:

Line 1 will be Perreault-Bulis-Audette just as yestersay unless Saku is back

Line 2 looks like Zednik-Ribs-Hossa, same as last 15 games last year, same a slast night.

Line 3 is probably Juneau-Sundstum-Ward/Dackell/Ryder, OK neithe rJuneau nor Sundstrum were playing yesterday, but they are not expected to provide the bulk of our offense plus everyone is crapping on Juneau that he is more or less finished

Line 4 does not matter, probably a combo of players who eithe rplayed or did not play yesterday, but will get 5 or 6 minutes of ice time per game...

Bottom line is what you saw yesterday is what you get, except maybe Souray and Komi on defense i/o Traverse/Bouillon...

Old
09-24-2003, 11:06 AM
tinyzombies

There's not much room for Gainey to manouver other than to let the kids develop.

If you go by the thread about our top 5 assets, then the only way he could swing a trade to get a decent player(s) in return would be to deal either Koivu, Markov, Theodore, Komisarek or Zednik.

Does it make sense to trade any of those guys or any of our young players? I don't think it makes sense, unless they knock our socks off. Also, the uncertainty surrounding the CBA makes it difficult to put an aggressive long-term plan in place. If the UFA age limit is reduced, there will be a lot of bargain players out there and we will lose a couple too.

The only alternative is to wait until the veteran contracts run up and the kids become the core of the team and then sprinkle a couple FA's.

I would like to see him add a couple years onto Zednik's contract though.

Old
09-24-2003, 11:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Cap

I agree all the way. With Audette, Brisebois, Perreault, Ribeiro, Quintal, Juneau, Dackell, Traverse, Dykhuis I just don't have a good feeling about this season. On top of that I'm not a big Theodore fan or Zednik (who can be lazy at times and is a freakn puck hog but at least he scores) But next year most of the overpaid crap will be gone!

I want the Habs to at least work hard and show a good effort EVERY night win or lose. But I haven't seen that kind of effort in a long time. :mad:

Closed Thread