HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does next season's new divisions mean Canucks not in Playoffs?

Old
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Alflives*

vCash: 500
Does next season's new divisions mean Canucks not in Playoffs?

What are the chances of this occurring?

If it does happen, would the Sedins get traded (as a package) at the deadline?

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:37 PM
TBIF

Low.

No.

Like come on already!

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

I think they are fine.
I don't see them being worse than Edm, Cal and Pho.
Plus with the crossover option they have to be better than 4 teams in 'central'. I can see them being better than Col, Nsh, Min and Wpg still.
They will struggle to win the division but I think they will be in the playoffs.

MrShift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

I say somewhere between 6-8 in the West if major changes aren't conducted.

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShift4 View Post
I think they are fine.
I don't see them being worse than Edm, Cal and Pho.
Plus with the crossover option they have to be better than 4 teams in 'central'. I can see them being better than Col, Nsh, Min and Wpg still.
They will struggle to win the division but I think they will be in the playoffs.
I see them dropping off, especially since one of Lu or Schnieder will not be there. The goalies did steal a lot of points for them this season. Although, with a healthy Kesler, that should balance out okay.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:41 PM
momo

Commenting now before the coaching change and the 'reset' on roster is foolish.

momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:42 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Unless things change drastically they are going be be one of the lower playoff seeds for sure

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Cory = Glory

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I think we probably make it then flame out in round 1 again. Unless we do something drastic.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Wisp

Too many questions to know for sure right now. Coach? Roster holes? Who is the goalie and what's the return? Free agency is also a big question. Because of the buyouts, some good players might become available to us for cheap.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:46 PM
MrShift4
GRRRR.......Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I see them dropping off, especially since one of Lu or Schnieder will not be there. The goalies did steal a lot of points for them this season. Although, with a healthy Kesler, that should balance out okay.
I see them dropping in points too which is why I said they would be challenged to win the division.

However the loss of a goalie should mean improvements elsewhere in the lineup.

MrShift4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
CM-

Well LA-SJ right now look to be 1-2 in the division then Anaheim and us (Anaheim is more than likely losing some of its depth in Selanne & Koivu) fighting it out for 3/4 then EDM/PHO closing in on the the final spot with either us or Anaheim. and Calgary sitting on the outside looking to sign some sort of RFA so then can lose their chance at 1st overall:p

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
BC Ben

vCash: 50
Changes coming... Don't know how we can prognosticate the playoff positioning without seeing all the changes.

If it were today's teams, we are still in.

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
DL44
S/t Benning Related

They will be in tough...

But as it stands right now... the Canucks hold up very well in regular season play, and over 82, they should still be in.

The division: Van, LA, Ana, SJ, Pho, Edm, Cal.

The top teams this yr - LA, Ana, SJ...

Next yr?:
SJ has their core locked up - may be losing their depth... Thornton, Marleau, Havlat, Boyle would all be another yr past their prime, no significant cap space to speak of. What you see is what you will get from them in the regular season next yr as well.

LA also has their core locked up. But have a lot of pending RFA's that need to be re-upped... and that should bite into their cap. They have a great offseason chip to play however that should allow them to improve unless its for futures - Jonathan Bernier.

Ana - Seem to be in significant uncertainty when it comes to what their D will look like and their depth upfront. One word right now is Young. Can't see Selanne coming back. Got the twin $8+ mil kicking in. I don't see them repeating their early season dominance.

Of the rest - Pho likely not a contender for a playoff spot without Smith.
We'll see what McTavish can do to supplement his team, i don't think it will realistically jump from a 74-76 pt team to a 95 pt team unless it is something very significant .. i.e. more than a rookie or 2.

So the Vancouver Canucks a non-playoff team in 2013-14? I don't think so.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
What are the chances of this occurring?

If it does happen, would the Sedins get traded (as a package) at the deadline?
If we have the same team/core as this year it wouldn't surprise me if we miss. Although that will also depend on what other teams do in the off season of course, but we won't be division winners and we aren't a lock for the playoffs.

05-16-2013, 05:09 PM
DL44
S/t Benning Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If we have the same team/core as this year it wouldn't surprise me if we miss. Although that will also depend on what other teams do in the off season of course, but we won't be division winners and we aren't a lock for the playoffs.
As disappointing as this team was in the playoffs and just not good enough to compete with the elite... it is still a core capable of a lot of regular season wins. No way this team as is should come close to missing.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
As disappointing as this team was in the playoffs and just not good enough to compete with the elite... it is still a core capable of a lot of regular season wins. No way this team as is should come close to missing.
You should be right, but I'm very down on this team right now. If we make it, it'll be as the 7 or 8 seed.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
DL44
S/t Benning Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
You should be right, but I'm very down on this team right now. If we make it, it'll be as the 7 or 8 seed.
Yeah, i understand.

All you have to do is look at how we sleep walked the first 12 games with a 8-2-2 record... basically without a PK or a PP outside of playing Ana.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Verviticus

im already reminded of the 'must win' against minnesota this year. cant believe we lost that

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
JuniorNelson

Since this is a crystal ball thread, I'll jump in. Based on past performance, I think Gillis will make some major blunders this offseason. I suspect he will add players that are useless to the coach and trade away an important asset or two.

If you take away Edler and Hansen (examples, only) and add a new coach and new scheme, do the Canucks make the playoffs in this new division? Three of the teams like to thump Vancouver. Will that be effective? How heated will the season series be? I suspect Canucks will be softer next season and the California teams will be dominant. Fortunately, I seem to recall the schedule will feature home and aways with every team? That will make the division rivals less of an issue.

Canucks might do the unthinkable and improve during an off-season. Switch out Burrows for Iginla (or Jagr) and how do things look? I doubt Gillis will do anything risky, though. Either way, the Canucks should remain in playoff contention, barring unforseen circumstances.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 93
8 if 14 teams make the playoffs, Canucks will likely be outside the top 4, probably 6th but still make it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:54 PM
clashed

The teams that are ranked ahead of us are considered so in the playoff sense. If there's one thing I'm confident this team can do, it's make the playoffs. We are a regular season team at the very least, so let's not wallow in pity and state that we aren't going to make the playoffs.

clashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Hal 9000*

They'll be fighting for a wild card spot

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:00 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo View Post
Commenting now before the coaching change and the 'reset' on roster is foolish.
Good point, but with all of the constraints on the current players, there's probably not a lot that's going to get done.

And if a "bold move" or two are made, such as trading Burrows and/or Edler, the reality is that we'll probably be getting younger, not necessarily better.

In other words, and at this point, there should be serious concern about this team making the playoffs next year.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Hammer79

The Canucks would have finished 2nd if the division was in place this year, and that is with the current 'broken' roster. I think they can win the division next year, but I'll reserve judgement until October when there's a better idea of what we'll have on the roster.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 08:14 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
The Canucks would have finished 2nd if the division was in place this year, and that is with the current 'broken' roster. I think they can win the division next year, but I'll reserve judgement until October when there's a better idea of what we'll have on the roster.
And the one team that finished ahead of them was living off of a hot start and probably would've dropped down the standings in a full season. The Ducks had a fantastic start but went 8-9-2 to end the season with a -7 goal differential in that span.

I wouldn't necessarily pick the Canucks to win the division next year but I think people are overreacting to the new alignment. If the Canucks miss the playoffs next year it'll because they play like crap and not because of their competition.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote