HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ruutu absolutely freaks out....

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Blane Youngblood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Besides the fact that he's 5' 8". For a guy his size, he's very willing and has an ok fight card.
My only problem with Tootoo is that he wears a visor and doesn't take off his helmet.

Jarko is a *****...that's why he's so good at what he does. The man with the talking glove and the ankle lock rules! Of course, anyone can turn down a fight with him and not feel bad, turnabout is fair play.

Old
05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I'm not sure what fight you have, but it wasn't Rivet and Marchment fight from last year. I watched it right now to make sure I wasn't insane. No one get's dropped that fight.
If it is the fight I remember it was a good one.

Last edited by markov`: 05-10-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Chilly Willy*

Wait a second, anyone remember Esa Tikkanen? He used to do the exact same thing Jarkko does now but Esa chipped in with points but the era he came in was pretty easy for him plus the players he was put with.

Esa is one of my favourite players in the pests category (Dino C is da don of pests), the fact that SOOO MANY people hate Jarkko is just proof that he is the best at what he does right now.

His whole game is to make people hate him, with the amount of people that can't stand him and hate on him, makes me proud that we have the best pest in the game today on our team.

Hate it or love it, Jarkko's on top...haha

Old
05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyWilly
Wait a second, anyone remember Esa Tikkanen? He used to do the exact same thing Jarkko does now but Esa chipped in with points but the era he came in was pretty easy for him plus the players he was put with.

Esa is one of my favourite players in the pests category (Dino C is da don of pests), the fact that SOOO MANY people hate Jarkko is just proof that he is the best at what he does right now.

His whole game is to make people hate him, with the amount of people that can't stand him and hate on him, makes me proud that we have the best pest in the game today on our team.

He's no Mike Ribeiro though.

Old
05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Pepper

Paxtang, you're right, I confused the Rivet vs. Marchment fight (a tie) with the Kilger vs. Tucker fight where Tucker got dropped big time.

But Ruutu dropped Rivet in one fight, just watched the clip again.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Yammer

Quote:

Tikkanan had a much better shot and was good on the point. On the other hand, he snarked off about his coaches (rarely a good idea), whereas Jarkko is apparently a model citizen off the ice.

Jarkko's definitely earned my respect too. However, I wish the "pest" role was not part of hockey. Clean hard checking is one thing, but going out of your way to be a turtling, loudmouthed stickman seems kinda repulsive. It's all about goading the opponent into violence. How is that fun? Jarkko does it well but the game would be better if agitators (Tucker, Nash, Cooke etc) were reassigned to play proper hockey. These guys have skill -- every NHLer was "the man" on his team if you go back far enough in their career.

Old
05-10-2005, 10:55 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Ruutu is doing what he needs to do for his career here... he isn't going to make a living being a scorer... and he's not going to do it being an enforcer. But when it comes to agitators, there are few better than Ruutu - people love to hate him.

And like it or not, that's an asset to any team. If you can have an all-world talent like Forsberg concentrating more on hating Ruutu, than providing offense, you're doing the job you need to, to help your team.

Ruutu is one of those guys that I would have no second thought about moving, as long as there is an upgrade at his spot... but he's also not a guy that I hate having on my team (although would probably hate if he wasn't on my team). He is good at the role he's asked to play, and has better hands than he's given credit for. We've seen a lot worse players, when it comes to hockey sense alone, than this guy. When he's not out there yapping and agitating, he's still a solid PK guy for us, plays well defensively, and brings a lot of energy whenever he plays.

He's a poor man's Cooke IMO. A guy that can piss you off, but is still good enough to play in the lineup without having to be an enforcer. Cooke has better skills - offensively and defensively, and is just a better overall player.. but Ruutu brings what he needs to to the table to help his team.

Old
05-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Chilly Willy*

The thing is alot of goons back in the day were smaller players or guys that weren't that flashy and to get noticed they had to fight. But once they got into the NHL they had to create a niche so they would get the icetime and once that was achieved they would show that they have a pretty decent touch around the net also.

Ruutu isn't that bad with the puck, most people think he is, i've seen him play for Finland and he's pretty decent for a goon. Ruutu is just doing what he thinks he needs to do to stay in an NHL lineup, i like the guy, he's a good player. I remember when we played edmonton and he got 2 blackeyes, he was the reason we won that game, he got the whole edmonton team hating his guts and they were concentrating on getting him out on a stretcher, while they were wanting to do that, the Canucks went and won the game.

Old
05-10-2005, 06:36 PM
mackdogs*

Is this the same Jarkko Ruutu that runs from Georges Laraque leaving nothing but a yellow streak in his path?

Oh wait I just thought of a better question - who is Johnathan Hedstrom?

Old
05-11-2005, 02:52 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
Is this the same Jarkko Ruutu that runs from Georges Laraque leaving nothing but a yellow streak in his path?

Oh wait I just thought of a better question - who is Johnathan Hedstrom?
Jonathan Hedström was that pansy that thought he was an agitator but found himself running away from the DiMaios and Averys and ran back to sweden where he's considered not only an agitator, but also a pest and a tough scorer something he could not do on the NHL team which is the worst in those aspects, the Mighty Ducks.

Old
05-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Jonathan Hedström was that pansy that thought he was an agitator but found himself running away from the DiMaios and Averys
Sounds like you're describing Ruutu. The only missing detail is that Ruutu is a cheap-shot artist as well.

Old
05-11-2005, 03:24 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Sounds like you're describing Ruutu. The only missing detail is that Ruutu is a cheap-shot artist as well.
Ruutu does agitating very well. Try to find an NHL team sans the Nucks where he isn't hated. Hedström was invisible from night to night. And now Anaheim is gonna try to sign him as a skill player ^^
Babcock avoided to say anything that had with agitating to do when talking about what Hedström can do

Old
05-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Ruutu does agitating very well. Try to find an NHL team sans the Nucks where he isn't hated. Hedström was invisible from night to night. And now Anaheim is gonna try to sign him as a skill player ^^
Babcock avoided to say anything that had with agitating to do when talking about what Hedström can do
Never said Ruutu wasn't a good agitator. He's still a coward and a major league spot picker.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:16 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Ruutu didn't run from DiMaio last season when they fought.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:22 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Ruutu didn't run from DiMaio last season when they fought.
Way to nitpick!

It's good to hear that the 6'2 Ruutu didn't run from the 5'10 DiMaio.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:32 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Way to nitpick!

It's good to hear that the 6'2 Ruutu didn't run from the 5'10 DiMaio.
Well you certainly made it sound like he runs from guys like DiMaio which simply isn't true. He has fought much tougher guys than DiMaio.

Old
05-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Chilly Willy*

Rob D isn't a chump, he's a tough player.

Old
05-11-2005, 05:47 AM
mattihp

Quote:
I know, I really like him and I think that the DiMaio - Kapanen - Lehtinen was one of the best third lines we've seen in recent years.

But just to name a couple of guys off my head that Hedström didn't want to dance with...

Old
05-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Pepper

Quote:
I know, he's a pretty tough customer.

Ruutu answers the bell much more often than Matt Cooke who has a pretty similar role.

Old
05-11-2005, 07:41 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Never said Ruutu wasn't a good agitator. He's still a coward and a major league spot picker.

Old
05-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Gibsons Finest
R-E-L-A-X

If the NHL starts up next season, we could be in for some interesting Ducks/Canucks games if Babcock keeps his word and brings Hedstrom over.

Old
05-16-2005, 06:32 AM
mole

I'll never forget the images of Ruutu talking **** to the Wild bench as the Canucks trailed game 7 in the 3rd last year. The Wild players were just shrugging their shoulders at him but he kept on doing the only thing he does well, yapping. Classic Ruutool moment.

Old
05-16-2005, 10:12 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller
If the NHL starts up next season, we could be in for some interesting Ducks/Canucks games if Babcock keeps his word and brings Hedstrom over.
Yeah, we might finally see an NHL player peeing his pants

I am not sure if Hedström's skills are enough for the NHL level though... His agitating certainly isn't even close.

Old
05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
anteeksi

Send a message via Yahoo to anteeksi
interesting debate...eh you either love him or hate him.
im a canucks fan i like his style, he's no turtle. he works his ass off everyshift. he has sisu..
now the interaction with hedstrom..he had a few words to say about the game Jakke had a few to say back. made for interesting reading..there are always fireworks when Finland and Sweden meet. keeps it lively.

Old
05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
fullmetalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole
I'll never forget the images of Ruutu talking **** to the Wild bench as the Canucks trailed game 7 in the 3rd last year. The Wild players were just shrugging their shoulders at him but he kept on doing the only thing he does well, yapping. Classic Ruutool moment.
Because Minnesota has only classy guys on the roster, like Matt Johnson. He backs his **** up, unless its Jeff Beukeboom-

A team that has Matt Johnson on its roster, as a rule, should not intimate that another player is classless.

-fullmetalninja

Closed Thread