HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Matteau Jr article on RDS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 02:52 AM
  #1
QcNordzFan84
Registered User
 
QcNordzFan84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Prospect Matteau Jr article on RDS

Mentioning he got benched after getting a bad slashing call in their playoff loss against the Drakkar in the Qjmhl, and decided not to get aboard the team's bus home, taking the fans bus instead.

GM JoŽl Bouchard is apparently calling a press conference monday to clarify things about it.

The article mentions he could have ''left'' the team, displeased from the situation (getting benched).

Source (in french): http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lhjmq/matte...rmada-1.612232

Well, this is sad news... I hope the kid can get over it, he was doing good earlier in the season.

QcNordzFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:44 AM
  #2
muller
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...034759479.html

lou really wanted this 29th pick lol

muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:43 AM
  #3
Rella17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bergen
Country: United States
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
why did we waste this pick

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:47 AM
  #4
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,281
vCash: 500
Great ****ing job Lou another bonehead move you moron

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  #5
VaxjoDevil
Registered User
 
VaxjoDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Princeton, NJ
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
The coolest of cool, Bjorn Borg, spent his youth being the worst behaving player. I believe it was the same with Federer. Most brats can be taught to behave in the world of sports.

VaxjoDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:21 AM
  #6
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Relax guys.

He's a kid. He's frustrated. He's made a stupid irrational decision in the heat of the moment. No-one here has ever done the same?

Has very little to do with how he'll turn out. Stop pretending like he quit playing hockey or Lou has to trade him now because he has discipline issues.

I'm not that high on the guy (i see his max potential as a solid 2nd line winger) but this has very, very little to do with it.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:11 AM
  #7
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
The fact that his dad is a assistant HC makes this even weirder. If he did drop his team, this is pretty alarming.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:30 AM
  #8
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Relax guys.

He's a kid. He's frustrated. He's made a stupid irrational decision in the heat of the moment. No-one here has ever done the same?
not after being drafted in the first round of the nhl draft, nope. cant say I have.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:39 AM
  #9
theking72
Confucius Ackbar
 
theking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Don't worry, he will soon learn how to channel that anger


theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  #10
Nick0930
Registered User
 
Nick0930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,241
vCash: 500
Blown way out of proportion. Clearly he just wanted to get closer to his fans and decided to ride with them.

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:40 AM
  #11
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
not after being drafted in the first round of the nhl draft, nope. cant say I have.
I forgot first round draft picks give up their rights to have emotions and must immediately mature beyond their years or else.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:45 AM
  #12
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Drama queen thread

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:45 AM
  #13
Rella17
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bergen
Country: United States
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I forgot first round draft picks give up their rights to have emotions and must immediately mature beyond their years or else.
um yeah they probably should

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
  #14
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 48,057
vCash: 735
The only relevant point out of this story to me is I wish we'd start calling players strikers and calling our games duels. Especially when playing the rangers.

Kid being a dumb kid. Dad drama overlaid with hockey drama. Not a first.

__________________

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:49 AM
  #15
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
I forgot first round draft picks give up their rights to have emotions and must immediately mature beyond their years or else.
Isn't that the point of interviewing players before the draft? Do we skip that process since we are broke now or something?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
  #16
Unknown Caller
Registered User
 
Unknown Caller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
The only relevant point out of this story to me is I wish we'd start calling players strikers and calling our games duels. Especially when playing the rangers.

Kid being a dumb kid. Dad drama overlaid with hockey drama. Not a first.
This. We also had a grown man shoot a puck at a coach and an NHL captain publicly criticize his coach for making him take a road trip with the team. The fact that an 18 (19?) year old kid got pissed at his coach and quit the team (with 2 games left) is essentially a non-issue. It's an emotional game, and he's a young player who doesn't know how to control his emotions yet. No big deal.

Is there any difference between this and a professional player holding out or requesting a trade? Barely.

Unknown Caller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:07 AM
  #17
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
um yeah they probably should
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Isn't that the point of interviewing players before the draft? Do we skip that process since we are broke now or something?
Kids get drafted at the age of 18 years old. Matteau is 19 right now. You're foolish to think that they're not going to make the same mistakes a typical teenager would. Being drafted doesn't make you wiser than your years nor does it force you to give up the natural development of growing up by making mistake and learning from them.

The point of interviewing players is to make sure they have no emotions and will immediately mature once they're drafted? Seriously?

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
  #18
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Drama queen thread
Exactly. Overreaction Monday drama galore is imminent.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  #19
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,138
vCash: 500
Guy started the year in the NHL. Making bank, flying everywhere, dealing with the best of the best in life. And then has to ride the bus in Junior. Damn right he's frustrated.

And I hope he channels that into being the best damn player he can be.

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:14 AM
  #20
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Kids get drafted at the age of 18 years old. Matteau is 19 right now. You're foolish to think that they're not going to make the same mistakes a typical teenager would. Being drafted doesn't make you wiser than your years nor does it force you to give up the natural development of growing up by making mistake and learning from them.

The point of interviewing players is to make sure they have no emotions and will immediately mature once they're drafted? Seriously?
Why aren't other players showing emotion coming out of the draft? I'm confused since everyone is like this.

Not that that is even my point, not sure how I got sucked into that low level argument.

Keeping the pick at all is what irks me still.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:20 AM
  #21
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,387
vCash: 500
I agree we need more info (doubt we hear it) but people are now OK with our first round selection quitting on his team. sounds about right

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
  #22
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Why aren't other players showing emotion coming out of the draft? I'm confused since everyone is like this.

Not that that is even my point, not sure how I got sucked into that low level argument.

Keeping the pick at all is what irks me still.
Your question should be: Why aren't other players quitting their teams? Because the one you posed is just.. stupid in all honesty.

He made a mistake. Others may not make that mistake. That doesn't mean his mistake is going to be the death of him and his NHL dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
I agree we need more info (doubt we hear it) but people are now OK with our first round selection quitting on his team. sounds about right
Okay with it? Nope. Mostly everyone said it was a mistake.

Just not that big of a deal. Kids make mistakes. Then they learn from them. Sometimes, that makes them a better person. Sometimes, it doesn't and they make the same mistake again. Let's see how Matteau responds to this adversity before we write him off..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:27 AM
  #23
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often. Quitting on your team who's right in the middle of the playoffs, your teamates and your dad is pretty brutal IMO.

What bothers me the most about his actions is that he quit for a childish ****ing reason. You're going to leave the team because you got benched by your head coach? Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

I'm 110% certain that if it were a Rangers prospect, we'd be calling Sather a idiot right about now but since it's the Devils, we'll just be calling it "monday drama". Kabanov pulled the same **** and everyone was calling the kid "brain dead" and was nothing else then a massive bust.

It's funny how quick we look away when stuff happens in our own back yard but are just as quick to laugh at the misfortune of others... And that's one of the main reasons I love this place

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:29 AM
  #24
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often. Quitting on your team who's right in the middle of the playoffs, your teamates and your dad is pretty brutal IMO.

What bothers me the most about his actions is that he quit for a childish ****ing reason. You're going to leave the team because you got benched by your head coach? Is that they type of character this kid has when the going get's tough or because he got a taste at "the good life" in the NHL?

I'm 110% certain that if it where a Rangers prospect, we'd be calling Sather a idiot right about now but since it's the Devils, we'll just be calling it "monday drama".

Love this place
You don't even know why he quit and you're calling his reasons childish..

Why don't we wait for him to talk before we indict the guy?

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:31 AM
  #25
Puck Farise
Fire Deboer
 
Puck Farise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,718
vCash: 500
If he really did quit the team...does that make him eligible for the AHL next season?

Puck Farise is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.