HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Dangle Recap Leafs Round1Game1

Old
05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

vCash: 500
Steve Dangle Recap Leafs Round1Game1

Anyway we can show Carlyle this video?

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
The Beyonder

Pretty much the most spot on video analysis of game 1 that I've seen. Got a little respect for Dangle, he's 100% right.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 891
Great video, especially liked the fact where he brought the Bruins down from God level

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
leafstilldeath
#BlowItUp #PlayKids

Bruins were beaten before and can be beaten. No need to put them up on the pedestal. Get it done buds.

LEAFS

leafstilldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

great analysis, always watch his videos after games
disagree on few things from time to time
but in this video, 100% correct
bruins are a beatable team, leafs need to play to their strengths, which is speed and even more speed
also liked his line combos

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
jazzibabe67

i believe they figured out what the heck went wrong...they will pull up zee socks

jazzibabe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
That is a great analyses by Dangle. At times I can't stand watching this guy but I agree with everyone he was spot on in this one.

I for the most part I though wow take JVR off the Kessel line? Nooooo but it's true Boston pretty much shuts down the 1st line because JVR is parked in-front Bozak hangs back and Kessel gets all the focus.

Putting Lupul back onto that line makes Boston's job a little harder because they have to pull some of that focus off Kessel.

I admit I just made a post about putting the mac, Kuli and Grabo line back together but tbh Mac and Kadri do work well together. They have been a little dry lately but adding a guy like JVR gives them another element.

It's like was mentioned use your speed, you can still hit but ffs hit don't glide in and give a little bump. Leave the mixing up after the whistles and don't fall into the traps that the Boston Bruins set and that's play Boston Bruin hockey, make the Bruins play Toronto maple leaf hockey and lets turn this series around.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:52 PM
iceblue

excellent analysis. Hope the team and especially Carlye watch it.

iceblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

He brought up an amazing point with the Habs vs Bruins..

NO WAY the Habs beat the Bruins by playing them physical... Lots of their game plan was speed and elusiveness.. Between Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, Grabovski, Frattin, Bozak we have LOTS of speed to battle them with...

But that does not exactly solve the defensive issues... The two HUGE things they need to focus on with defense is 1. Clearing the puck from their own zone (MASSIVE issue that needs to atleast improve if we want to win even a game or two this series) and 2. Try to NOT play the body against most of their forwards.. they excel at winning battles along the boards, so your best bet is to be in position to beat them TO the puck instead of beating them for the puck..

Leafswillrulesometim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Fight fire with water.

I agree. Don't get pushed around, don't make it your focal point.

The B's play like this, the Leafs should play like that.

Also agree with Frattin and Gardiner. Both are fast...

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:23 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Might be the first one I've enjoyed.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post

Anyway we can show Carlyle this video?
I hate this kid, it's just irritating looking at his face, who cares what he thinks, not I. To think he thinks he knows more than a Stanley Cup winning coach, a coach that has won 303 NHL games, and has a .586 winning % is just silly.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:24 PM
number72

I think it is more then speed though as Grabbo and Kessel fly out there but are not used well. But Carlyle has the leafs collapse into a shell as opposed more aggressively forecheck. This really needs Carlyle to move from his physical trapping style to a more of a habs speed and forecheck and force turnovers in the neutral zone.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Rude Dog

Bravo. Couldn't agree more.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

great analysis... i didn't get to see the whole game but i hear him, they weren't intimidated and even though we havn't played well against them in recent years i do believe we can win.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
KuleminFan41

He's annoying now a days but why call up Frattin purely to put him on the 4th line?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
He's annoying now a days but why call up Frattin purely to put him on the 4th line?
Isn't Frattin sitting in the pressbox? I'd rather have Frattin on the 4th line as opposed to playing both Orr and McLaren.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:12 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Isn't Frattin sitting in the pressbox? I'd rather have Frattin on the 4th line as opposed to playing both Orr and McLaren.
Ya but Frattin will be virtually ineffective though and people will complain that he's not doing anything . I'd like Frattin to play but not on the 4th line , Mclaren and Orr is a bad idea though for sure

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:12 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Only disagreed with the notion of Grabovski shutting down the topline. Yeah, you're surrounding him with good wingers that can actually play defense - but still.

Kinda contradicting myself here, but I gues that's the only spot you can put him... because he doesn't deserve to be in the top-6.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I hate this kid, it's just irritating looking at his face, who cares what he thinks, not I. To think he thinks he knows more than a Stanley Cup winning coach, a coach that has won 303 NHL games, and has a .586 winning % is just silly.
Ron Wilson had more wins than anybody. Doesn't mean they aren't bad coaches. Just look at his last few seasons with the Ducks, he couldn't handle Bobby Ryan properly. He couldn't find a spot for Lupul, who then gets dished to us and becomes an All Star.

It's not about what you did, it's about what you're doing now. He's not icing the best line up and everyone knows it.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Only disagreed with the notion of Grabovski shutting down the topline. Yeah, you're surrounding him with good wingers that can actually play defense - but still.

Kinda contradicting myself here, but I gues that's the only spot you can put him... because he doesn't deserve to be in the top-6.
Why can't he shut the top-line down from the third line?

Dangle's suggestion was Grabovski between Komarov and Kulemin on the third line. That would be a fantastic shut-down line.

Edit: Just re-read, I may have mis-read your post. But where else do we put him if he's not good enough for a shutdown third line and if he's not good enough for the top-6?

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:34 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Why can't he shut the top-line down from the third line?

Dangle's suggestion was Grabovski between Komarov and Kulemin on the third line. That would be a fantastic shut-down line.
I didn't say he couldn't from the 3rd (as that's where he'd be playing), I just don't think Grabovski is capable of doing it lol. Surrounding him with Komarov and Kulemin is wise, though.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
There's always different ways to skin a cat, and there's always room to consider an alternate viewpoint when things aren't working, no matter who you are.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
I think Lupul-Grabo-Kessel would be effective against the B's.

Grabo likes to start the rush, and bring it all the way deep into the zone. He attracts the defense. He often makes teams forget about the other players (which is why Kule, Mac, and Grabo were so effective). Now I get he hasn't done that a whole lot this year too but hang in there.

If Lupul, goes to the net, you have one of Seidenberg or Chara covered. The other, with Grabo, and if it works well enough, the center focus's on the puck (Grabo) as well.

This leaves Kessel to hang around the top of the circles opposite of the side Grabo is on. Grabo;

a) Has a direct lane to get the puck to a decently wide open Kessel. OR

b) gives the puck back to the D who can get Kessel the puck, or put the puck on net, and have Kessel and Grabo use their speed to get to the net and a scoring chance ensues.

Now, I know this won't happen. This isn't pre-season. Have we tried Kessel and Grabo together? Yes, but that was 2 or 3 years ago.

Part of me thinks it would be effective.

As for the other lines?

JVR - Kadri - Frattin
MacArthur - Bozak - Kulemin
Komarov - McClement - Orr

Heck, i'd even move McClement up, put Colborne in on that 4th line and let Bozak get back to 100%.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Bouncing Bettys

I agree with his suggestions for the most part.

My only question is how effective was the combo of Lupul/Bozak/Kessel vs the Ruins last season? It makes sense to make it difficult to contain Lupul/Kessel but it has been done before.

Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote